HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

ECSF #3: Flyers @ Bruins - Wednesday, May 4, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
05-05-2011, 07:07 AM
TOCxNJ

vCash: 500
I'm done with this team. I have never been so disappointed in them. The expectations were so high this year and they threw it all away. From management to the players, they let a lot of people down.

I almost bought in to the "we don't need momentum, don't panic" argument but deep down I couldn't help but be very concerned. Anyone who has played sports knows that momentum fuels confidence.

The obvious key piece that we don't have is solid goaltending. As much as people want to refute this you definitely need someone who can steal you a few games here and there...our goalies cannot do that. Sure they sometimes make a good save but they can't lock it down and I'm sure the team up front knows this so they don't play with as much confidence.

Mostly our goalie situation, followed by some real lazy performances by certain players have taken what looked like the best flyers team I've seen in over a decade and turned this team into crap and one of the most disappointing seasons in a long time (based on expectation).

And don't kid yourself, there is 0 chance this team comes back this year.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:08 AM
MsWoof

Telling stat: Carter on 1 leg had more ice time than Briere, 16:41 to 15:06. People can give props to Briere for his offense all they want but when he gets less ice time than a guy who was obviously having skating issues in practice and in the game, it tells you a lot about his two way play. All the speculation from the media yesterday was that Carter would get PP time and only a bit of ES time but that fizzled. Philly writers who were tweeting during the game said he was labouring and you could see he was gliding on his right leg repeatedly, yet he got more playing time than Briere? It's ridiculous, and if I were Lavi I would sit him tomorrow so he doesn't risk worsening the injury.

I say, put him back at centre next season and put Briere or Giroux back on wing. He's the team's best face off guy on a team that really is weak on face offs. Obviously there have to be some changes made in the off season, there are way too many players who are horribly weak defensively and it's ridiculous to force the others to take care of their mistakes.

Stats:

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/TV030223.HTM

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMomx2 View Post
Yah, I hear ya, but it is something they have done consistently throughout the season. Bergie won 17 of 19, Krejci was 8 for 8 and Kelly won 11 of 12. I dunno, just trying to find a silver lining for ya. I'm still not convinced that this series is ours. I hope for the love of my sanity that it is but I won't believe it until they get that elusive 4th win. If they don't wrap it up on Friday there will be a lot of scared fans here in Boston. Good luck in the next game, hope it's a good one but not so good that you guys get the W from it.
Well, I understand a supporters natural pessimism, I'm guilty of it myself in all sports that I follow, but I think it's safe to say you don't have to worry about history repeating itself. We might get 1 game back, but this series is yours.

And once you finally put the boot in, I will be willing you guys on purely because I called it at the start and I can get a big old "I was right" hard on!!

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:29 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Server fail was likely for the best.

I don't think it's fruitful to completely tear into the team. Over the last year or so, they've shown valor, determination, heart, will, all of it. At some point, you've played with fire one too many times, and I think the perceived lack of effort has a lot more to do with the Bruins just wearing the Flyers down. The Bruins learned from last year, they are better. They have two guys (Thomas, Horton) they didn't have when we made our comeback. They have a healthy David Krejci, who obviously made a huge difference. The Flyers have proven their mettle as a team, but there comes a point when the other guy gets one over.
Why don't you try 9 players out of their top 16 and 10 of their 19. This isn't the 2009-10 Boston Bruins. Boston is doing what they should to a Pronger less Flyer team.

G - Thomas D - Seidenberg - Kaberle - McQuaid

F - Krejci - Horton - Marchand - Peverley - Kelly

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

puke effort by the whole team
And as much as we want to blame the goaltending, the whole team sucked.
Sametime, while boosh had zero chance on the chara goal, he's gotta stop the Krecji shot.

Briere, is he hurt? He's been invisible this series.

Damn, this happened fast.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:33 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post
Why don't you try 9 players out of their top 16 and 10 of their 19. This isn't the 2009-10 Boston Bruins. Boston is doing what they should to a Pronger less Flyer team.

Even with Pronger in there Boston is gonna beat them,They are hugrier and have a vezina goalie right now,They want it more.Boston has a legit shot at the Cup this yr.Gonna be alot of announcers and commentators eating crow if they pull it off.No diss on Philly,they just ran into one this time.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doakacola View Post

Most of those other guys haven't made a difference, but I forgot about Seidenberg. That's someone we're supposed to have on our team no less.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:38 AM
GrundleBear

can we please teach Richards and Carter how to handle a pass and get off a shot? ffs. im sick of these 2 idiots. Versteeg weighs 134 lbs soaking wet, and is getting man handled everytime i look at him on the ice. Boucher obviously has no confidence and it showed last night. He looked scared. Just an entirely pathetic performance by the Flyers. ****ing pisses me right off i tell you.

Last edited by GrundleBear: 05-05-2011 at 08:44 AM.
GrundleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Mike2000z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
No, I'd say the season was over back in February, when they started believing the "give the Flyers the Cup now" hype and started playing disinterested, stupid hockey. No consistency, no determination. Does anyone remember the posts that started with "Chill, guys, we're still winning ..." Then it was "Chill, guys, we're still racking up points ..." On to "Chill, guys, we're still in first place ..." Finally, "Chill, guys, we're still going to make the playoffs."

It is confirmed: there is no "on" switch, and crap hockey in Feb-March does contribute to crap hockey in May, and no hockey in June.

It's time to wrap this season up, celebrate a 36th year without a Cup (personal and franchise), and get into complaining about the idiotic off-season moves we're going to witness from Mr. MENSA.
I remember calling out everything awhile ago and getting shunned because im negative. No im a realist and i know my team. You can go back months and see where i made a thread about Tampa Bay and Boston and i was Dead on. They were playing the same hockey they are playing now, consistent good team hockey while we were screwing around not giving a crap. I had zero hope for this team after the buffalo series. They give nobody any confidence whatsoever and apparently even themselves. Its the entire system and Teamplay as well as the goaltending thats at fault.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Most of those other guys haven't made a difference, but I forgot about Seidenberg. That's someone we're supposed to have on our team no less.
You really believe Marchand hasn't made a significant difference? I think he has 3G
in this series and maybe 4 pts. He's absolutely been a diff maker.

Peverley, & Kelly scored a huge goal in G2 to make the score 2-1 and shift momentum in G2 until period 3. Campbell is a huge upgrade over Begin (who sucked bad).

Seidenberg has been Boston's best dman in the playoffs, after a tough month of March/April regular season.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Mike2000z28

Boston has a good team, but the Flyers weren't playing like a top team for about 4 months now. So we would have gotten beaten by any team. I mean the Sabres with many injuries took us to 7 games. This team gave up as a whole awhile back. They were for me, the worst team coming into the playoffs and their hockey was pretty bad for the most part. They weren't playing tight hockey consistently enough and when the offense showed up, the defense didn't and when offense and defense showed up, the goaltending didn't. If Boston had trouble with Montreal, they will have tons of trouble with Tampa Bay. Should be a good series.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
I remember calling out everything awhile ago and getting shunned because im negative. No im a realist and i know my team. You can go back months and see where i made a thread about Tampa Bay and Boston and i was Dead on. They were playing the same hockey they are playing now, consistent good team hockey while we were screwing around not giving a crap. I had zero hope for this team after the buffalo series. They give nobody any confidence whatsoever and apparently even themselves. Its the entire system and Teamplay as well as the goaltending thats at fault.
Agreed. Count me in for feeling the same way.

However, I feel like our "system" works if our team shows up and we get solid goaltending. However, when the team doesn't show up and the goaltending is nonexistent, no system is going to help that.

We are a pathetic team. Ridiculous amounts of talent, but can't get the job done. Half the time they aren't even trying. Sometimes it seriously looks like this team is a bunch of spoiled brats who think they "deserve" the win just for showing up. Bunch of cocky no shows.

Embarrassing second half of the season and post season. This team should feel like a bunch of losers because that's how they've played since the all star break.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote