HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Where Does Your Anger Lie?

View Poll Results: Where Does Your Anger Lie?
Kris Versteeg - For bringing the Leafs to the Flyers. 9 5.20%
Mike Richards - For not leading by example. 13 7.51%
Scott Hartnell - For not knowing how to skate. 1 0.58%
Ville Leino - For not stepping up like last year. 0 0%
Jeff Carter - For never being a clutch player. 2 1.16%
Blair Betts - For sucking at faceoffs. 0 0%
Matt Carle - For reminding us he sucks without Pronger. 2 1.16%
Brian Boucher - For pretending to be a starting goalie. 10 5.78%
Sergei Bobrovsky - For getting beat easily up high. 3 1.73%
Michael Leighton - For being alive. 1 0.58%
Peter Laviolette - For messing with the goalies heads. 6 3.47%
Paul Holmgren - For not getting a goalie. 95 54.91%
Ed Snider - For never hiring a GM that will get a goalie. 6 3.47%
Other 5 2.89%
No one - It is what it is. What can you do? 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2011, 08:38 AM
  #26
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Yeah, but you have to admit that ZERO confidence the players have with the guy between the pipes adds to the lack of intensity.

Seriously, you cannot believe what the players are saying when they "believe in Boosh or Bob."
I never played the game, but the reason above translates to a lot of other aspects in life (work, spouse, family, etc...). The confidence has to be shot, and the players are skating knowing that the goalie will let in a softie...... However, even though I understand how they feel, their play has been inexcusable. They are professional athletes and need to step it up regardless of bad goalies.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:38 AM
  #27
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
LOL at blaming the goalie. Yes, the goalies sucked.
But the whole effing team sucked.
Top to bottom.
Wheres the all of the above vote option?

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:43 AM
  #28
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Yeah, but you have to admit that ZERO confidence the players have with the guy between the pipes adds to the lack of intensity.

Seriously, you cannot believe what the players are saying when they "believe in Boosh or Bob."
What about the goalie having ZERO confidence in their fwds? How can you let Chara have a point blank shot from 15ft out? What about the missed coverage or watching the guys skate around the ice not finishing their hits while the Bruins are knocking guys on their butts all night?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:43 AM
  #29
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
As much as I want to be angry at Boucher for crapping the bed, or half of our defensemen for playing like sh--, or some of our forwards for forgetting how to bury the puck, or Versteeg for being a turd, ultimately I blame Holmgren.

His failure to acknowledge the importance of goaltending blew up and ruined what should have been a great year. I don't blame the goalies themselves - Boosh should never be in this position, nor should Leighton have, nor should Bob - because you can't expect them to be better than they are.

Poorly built team.
The saddest thing about the whole goalie situation is that Holmgren did one thing good, signed Boucher as the BACKUP. Seems like he is THE perfect back-up goalie... just don't start him. Boucher has stepped up when he needed to fill the role he was hired for and failed when they asked him to go above and beyond.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:45 AM
  #30
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
someone's gonna get canned
lavi is not the guy
homer should be fired for his horrible trades/moves this past season
time to keep the 'core' that are signed and get a goalie or knowing homer......

if I was ed snider
homer would be canned TODAY
send a message to the players
)
Screw that, a couple players have to go. This is an ongoing issue with this team. The guys on the ice did not want it. This is the same team who went to game 6 in the SCF's, what is so different besides the effort and execution and the leadership on the ice?

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:47 AM
  #31
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
LOL at blaming the goalie. Yes, the goalies sucked.
But the whole effing team sucked.
Top to bottom.
Wheres the all of the above vote option?
Thank goodness someone else gets it. Blame the coach. Blame the GM, Blame the goalies. What about leaving it on the ice? What about playing as a team? There are several accountability issues, but is starts with the players on the ice.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:01 AM
  #32
Swiper the Fox
Registered User
 
Swiper the Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
hockey is a game of confidence
if there is no confidence, ( especially with what they have to work with in net ) the entire team suffers
If they had a goalie that actually could stop a puck , there would be a totally different team playing in front of hiim.

if this team were to not change (except for getting a first rate goalie),
you'd see a whole different series here, and going to 7 against buffalo last series would never have happened either.


you seen it here on the boards for every game
(whose starting in net ? why aren't they starting .... )
if we are questioning goaltending for each and every game , then I'd have to imaging the players are too



Flyers goals against in 10 playoff games:
18 (against buffalo) in 7 games
15 (against boston) in 3 games
how many of these goals were ones that
any other half decent , 1st rate goalie would have saved ???
probably in the 13-17 range , if you went through each game's highlights


Last edited by Swiper the Fox: 05-05-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:02 AM
  #33
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Thank goodness someone else gets it. Blame the coach. Blame the GM, Blame the goalies. What about leaving it on the ice? What about playing as a team? There are several accountability issues, but is starts with the players on the ice.
I wrap this up with Holmgren.

He's the guy who's gotta recognize that "we like our team," and not making any significant roster moves isn't the way to keep guys competing hard.

At the same time, though, it's hard to compete when you know you're being given the short stick in net. However, watching the team quit on themselves yesterday was disgusting...so yeah, I hope some guys get shipped out.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:52 AM
  #34
doublechili
Registered User
 
doublechili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,410
vCash: 600
Holmgren should have gone after Roloson when the Isles had him on the trade block. That was the missed opportunity of the year. TB got him for a lot less then the Flyers gave up to get Versteeg. And getting Roloson and NOT getting Versteeg would have been a win-win.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:54 AM
  #35
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Holmgren should have gone after Roloson when the Isles had him on the trade block. That was the missed opportunity of the year. TB got him for a lot less then the Flyers gave up to get Versteeg. And getting Roloson and NOT getting Versteeg would have been a win-win.
They should have gotten Roli LAST year. I wanted him then, and maintain to this day that with him we have a Cup, and are maybe gunning for a defense this year.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:08 AM
  #36
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Giroux, JVR and Zherdev have been good, everyone else, meh.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
  #37
RoyMunson
Registered User
 
RoyMunson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Whoa there. This team called out the coach for overworking them and they then "coasted" their way into the playoffs, the lack of preperation falls on the players for not amping up the intensity. This is the same team, same system, and same coach as last season. The issue was not a lack of being prepared, it was a lack of consistent effort by the players which has plagued the team since February.

For example, the Bruins had a 2-0 lead and they amped up the intensity, not giving the Flyers good chances. The Flyers go up 2-0 in game two and they fall back and let the game come to them, lack of coverage, and a lack of intensity. Only so many timeouts a coach can call.
The window is small for any Lav team. The system works great as long as EVERY player wants to skate end to end as hard as possible... no loafers. Hence why Zherdev was scratched for months.

This team is finished with his system. It was good while it lasted, but not good enough.

RoyMunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
  #38
stick
Registered User
 
stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Snider is another P T Barnum

Snider has been selling tickets on the memory of...1974 and 1975

Snider has been selling tickets on the memory of 1974 & 1975, just as he has done with God Bless America which is now o for 2 against Boston. Homer has traded all our high draft picks away for a guy...who has shown me nothing


PS I guess Toronto will get a better 1st rounder from us

He has done very little for the sixers also

stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
  #39
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I wish we had the option to vote on more than one.
This. But all of my other choices would eventually be tied to one...Paul Holmgren.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
  #40
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Winning in the playoffs come down to a few things:

Match-ups
Power play
Goaltending


Boston was the only team in the East I feared. They are our equal. Facing a completely healthy Boston team, while missing 2 of our 5 best players is a problem.

Carter's speed is sorely missed against Boston. You can see all the problems that JVR's size and speed is causing for the Bruins defense. The Habs kill the Bruins with that same speed.

The power play is a huge issue. There is absolutely no reason even without Pronger, that we shouldn't have a great power play. We have the same basic group we've had the last 3-4 years. It's been junk all year and has cost us games. I'm not firing Joey Mullen yet, because we've had success with him in the past ... but he has until Thanksgiving to make it a top 8 group or he's gone.

You could see that the goaltending was going to be an issue starting in February. It needs to be addressed once and for all this summer, and if it's still an issue next spring Holmgren needs to be gone.

It can't be a stop gap, one or two year solution, They need to identify a long term answer and go get him. Giroux and JVR are the only players I wouldn't move for the goalie (and I would move them for Price).


Off-season plan

#1. Aquire said goalie. Plan on starting him 60 games, and Bob the other 22.

#2. If Richards isn't moved to aquire a goalie, he needs to be told that an real serious off-season work out plan is mandatory. Take 3 weeks off to rest and then come June, 1 it's time to remake that body. Come playoff time, he looks exhausted, and not able to physically compete at the level we need him to be.

#3. Let Leino, Zherdev, O'Donnell, Powe, Boucher, and Carcillo walk.

#4. Let Leighton know that he'll be spending the entire season in the AHL.

#5. The team needs to add size and speed. Sign Eric Cole & possibly Curtis Glencross

#6. We need to upgrade in the face-off circle. Zenon Kenopa would be my first choice.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:53 AM
  #41
RIPRichardsCarter
Registered User
 
RIPRichardsCarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Winning in the playoffs come down to a few things:

Match-ups
Power play
Goaltending


Boston was the only team in the East I feared. They are our equal. Facing a completely healthy Boston team, while missing 2 of our 5 best players is a problem.

Carter's speed is sorely missed against Boston. You can see all the problems that JVR's size and speed is causing for the Bruins defense. The Habs kill the Bruins with that same speed.

The power play is a huge issue. There is absolutely no reason even without Pronger, that we shouldn't have a great power play. We have the same basic group we've had the last 3-4 years. It's been junk all year and has cost us games. I'm not firing Joey Mullen yet, because we've had success with him in the past ... but he has until Thanksgiving to make it a top 8 group or he's gone.

You could see that the goaltending was going to be an issue starting in February. It needs to be addressed once and for all this summer, and if it's still an issue next spring Holmgren needs to be gone.

It can't be a stop gap, one or two year solution, They need to identify a long term answer and go get him. Giroux and JVR are the only players I wouldn't move for the goalie (and I would move them for Price).


Off-season plan

#1. Aquire said goalie. Plan on starting him 60 games, and Bob the other 22.

#2. If Richards isn't moved to aquire a goalie, he needs to be told that an real serious off-season work out plan is mandatory. Take 3 weeks off to rest and then come June, 1 it's time to remake that body. Come playoff time, he looks exhausted, and not able to physically compete at the level we need him to be.

#3. Let Leino, Zherdev, O'Donnell, Powe, Boucher, and Carcillo walk.

#4. Let Leighton know that he'll be spending the entire season in the AHL.

#5. The team needs to add size and speed. Sign Eric Cole & possibly Curtis Glencross

#6. We need to upgrade in the face-off circle. Zenon Kenopa would be my first choice.
Stopped reading right there.


RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:01 AM
  #42
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,921
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Off-season plan

#1. Aquire said goalie. Plan on starting him 60 games, and Bob the other 22.

#2. If Richards isn't moved to aquire a goalie, he needs to be told that an real serious off-season work out plan is mandatory. Take 3 weeks off to rest and then come June, 1 it's time to remake that body. Come playoff time, he looks exhausted, and not able to physically compete at the level we need him to be.

#3. Let Leino, Zherdev, O'Donnell, Powe, Boucher, and Carcillo walk.

#4. Let Leighton know that he'll be spending the entire season in the AHL.

#5. The team needs to add size and speed. Sign Eric Cole & possibly Curtis Glencross

#6. We need to upgrade in the face-off circle. Zenon Kenopa would be my first choice.
Of all people why would you guys want to move him? Or even suggest it for a goalie no less. Your team is only a goalie away from being a legit force. Having an unproven rookie and 2 journeymen as goaltenders only spells disaster. Your forward and D group is near tops in the league, you just need a goalie. Badly.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:12 AM
  #43
buff
Registered User
 
buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Richards is my favorite player!!! I have all kind of possible jersey of him. I saw him like one of the big deal of the NHL 5,7M a years...

But now!! I think a hate him like a girlfriend i've found in the bed with my best friend!! I mean... Where is the work ethic, the leadership he suppose to have.. He suppose to be the heart and soul of the Flyers... In this playoff the only hit he made was dirty, selfish and dangerous... We compared him to Bobby Clarcke and to me now it's a complete disgrace. 1 goal in 10 games... WTF!

And I not talking about Versteeg... But i'ts by far the worst acquisition Paul Holgrem did in his career. I understand now why the Hawks did'nt kept him.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:26 AM
  #44
BWAVgal
Clever comment here
 
BWAVgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,346
vCash: 176
Homer and the management for not getting us a goalie since 1975.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
  #45
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close
 
SeanVT395's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
The answer is always John Stevens, I hear that he's secretly still taking the team out for ice cream after losses.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
  #46
PhillyFlying
Registered User
 
PhillyFlying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 500
i blame pronger's absence and an overall lack of balls displayed by this team in the series so far.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:38 AM
  #47
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,742
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
The saddest thing about the whole goalie situation is that Holmgren did one thing good, signed Boucher as the BACKUP. Seems like he is THE perfect back-up goalie... just don't start him. Boucher has stepped up when he needed to fill the role he was hired for and failed when they asked him to go above and beyond.
Then he signed Leighton to be the starter.


Let that thought stew in your brain. Actually, don't. It probably causes heavy bleeding.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:49 AM
  #48
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marlton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Then he signed Leighton to be the starter.


Let that thought stew in your brain. Actually, don't. It probably causes heavy bleeding.
That's my whole point. It's just infuriating how many goalies were available in the offseason in 2010 and how Homer freaked out when he couldn't sign anyone before Free Agency started... and they overpaid for Leighton.

In hindsight, I realize that Mason and Ellis didn't have the best of years, but MAYBE they could have better seasons with the Flyers in front of them.

Homer has this ridiculous notion that signing free agents during free agency is taboo, while trading away picks for "rights" to players that will be UFAs is the best thing since sliced bread.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:49 AM
  #49
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I wrap this up with Holmgren.

He's the guy who's gotta recognize that "we like our team," and not making any significant roster moves isn't the way to keep guys competing hard.

At the same time, though, it's hard to compete when you know you're being given the short stick in net. However, watching the team quit on themselves yesterday was disgusting...so yeah, I hope some guys get shipped out.
Last year the defense issue was addressed. We will see if he addresses the goaltending issue. There is a pirze out there for the taking, but it means making sacrifices in the fwd dept, but considering that Marchand, Kelly, Bergeron, and Peverly are killing the Flyers right now the theory on needing the "scoring depth" is a bit overrated. Time to get guys who are going to do all the little things right:





Brad Marchand knew the Flyers would be tough. So it's all the more gratifying for him and the rest of the Bruins to be up 3-0 on the team that embarrassed them last year in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"We knew they were gonna come out hard and we did a great job countering that getting two goals in the first two shifts," Marchand said. "So that was huge for our team. Trying to hold them off and that kinda tipped the game for us.

"There was a lot of great plays," he said. "We did all the little things right. We knew that's what we had to do tonight. ... We had lots of great hits. Everyone stepped up doing that. We were playing hard down in their end and that's what we wanted to do."


"When we got up in the series, and in the game, we want to make it hard on them," Bruins forward Brad Marchand said. "We want them to know that it's going to be tough, and they're going to have to work their butt off and really sacrifice their bodies if they even want to have a chance back in the game or the series."



And the FLyers:


When Laviolette whistled for the timeout, 58:57 remained in Game 3.

"There was 59 minutes left," Jeff Carter said. "That's a whole hockey game."

"We had a ton of time left," Mike Richards said. "It just didn't seem like we could find the puck, control it and make plays."

In Game 2, only 2 nights earlier in Philadelphia, the Flyers jumped out to a two-goal lead against the Bruins in the first 10 minutes. While not quick as 63 seconds, which set a Flyers franchise record for fastest two goals allowed in a playoff game, the Bruins were still able to rebound.

Not the Flyers. They settled down for a little bit - and seemed to control play for a portion of the second period that might have given a little hope to a comeback bid - but it was Daniel Paille who put the Flyers out of their misery in the second period.

"I don't think the team got deflated at all," Flyers chairman Ed Snider said. "I thought there was a fight. I don't think they quit. They played hard. But, unfortunately, they didn't score enough goals to make a difference."

"If we got the next goal, I think it may have changed the game," Carter said. "I don't think we were smart with the puck, we made some bad decisions and that left us back in our own end for extended periods of time."

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:53 AM
  #50
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMunson View Post
The window is small for any Lav team. The system works great as long as EVERY player wants to skate end to end as hard as possible... no loafers. Hence why Zherdev was scratched for months.

This team is finished with his system. It was good while it lasted, but not good enough.
The true irony.......Zherdev looked like the best Flyer on the ice last night.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.