HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brandon Gormley

Old
05-03-2011, 05:08 PM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
Brandon Gormley

I am not speculating that the Phoenix Coyotes want to trade him, just wondering what his value may be @ the draft. The Coyotes are deep in defensive prospects and last draft they went with the best player available, a prospect that they had listed a lot higher than where they expected him to be drafted at. And if 1 of the top draftee teams want someone like him , but don't think the value is worth it, what else do the Coyotes need to add to get that higher pick?
1 scenario I was thinking about is MacLean and Gormley for NYIsles 1st rounder, and from a Coyotes perspective, who would be available at that spot and if he would be worth it...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:30 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

he is a d-man from the Q and that scares some people--stats from amost any player from the Q comes with a * by it. But I only saw him play one game so other than that there is not much I can add

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
PeterTheGreat

As an Avs fan I'd offer the 11th overall pick. Coyotes could grab a guy like Zibinajad there or maybe Armia or whoever they like for forwards.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:47 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
he is a d-man from the Q and that scares some people--
you mean like Yandle?

Old
05-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
you mean like Yandle?
Yandle wasn't that much of a risk pick (4th round I believe) and therefore did not come with high expectations and was developed through the Coyotes' system. Gormley on the other hand was drafted 13th overall, high expectations (was even ranked 4th overall at the draft) and therefore comes with a heftier price tag.

After one year of drafting Yandle, would you trade him for his value at the time?

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Personally, I'd really, really like to hang on to him. Moving him for a kid in this draft is the last thing I'd want to do.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:58 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Personally, I'd really, really like to hang on to him. Moving him for a kid in this draft is the last thing I'd want to do.
There are a few forwards I would be interested in, but mostly I am interested in what people would say about this draft vs last year's draft...

Old
05-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
There are a few forwards I would be interested in, but mostly I am interested in what people would say about this draft vs last year's draft...
This years draft: the stars (RNH, Larsson) the depth
Last years draft: the elite (Halls, Fowlers, Seguins) the stars (Tarasenkos, Johansens) and the depth.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Kaibur

We can play him 9 games and then send him back, correct? Maloney said he planned on sending him back to junior next year unless he lights it up at camp. Look how well Fowler did this year, and he and Gormley were ranked and drafted pretty closely. I want to see him in brick red.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Yandle wasn't that much of a risk pick (4th round I believe) and therefore did not come with high expectations and was developed through the Coyotes' system. Gormley on the other hand was drafted 13th overall, high expectations (was even ranked 4th overall at the draft) and therefore comes with a heftier price tag.

After one year of drafting Yandle, would you trade him for his value at the time?
For 1 of the top 5? Maybe @ that time, the value is there, but now, Yandle's is too much of an investment and part of the team to justify it...
BTW they are

1 Erik Johnson
2 Jordan Staal
3 Jonathan Toews
4 Nicklas Backstrom
5 Phil Kessel

not saying he is better, just saying what his worth to the team is

Old
05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
This years draft: the stars (RNH, Larsson) the depth
Last years draft: the elite (Halls, Fowlers, Seguins) the stars (Tarasenkos, Johansens) and the depth.
yea, it does seem that there was more top end stars in last year's draft. But where would Gormley fit in if he went in this years draft? A year does make a difference, but if you can look at where he was last year to what the draft is this year, what would be your best guess???

Old
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
yea, it does seem that there was more top end stars in last year's draft. But where would Gormley fit in if he went in this years draft? A year does make a difference, but if you can look at where he was last year to what the draft is this year, what would be your best guess???
Seeing as he was being ranked 4th to around 8th in predraft rankings, this year I would easily expect him to go behind RNH and Larsson.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:24 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Cory Schneider, don't you need a young goalie?

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I don't know why Phoenix would consider trading him, unless it's part of a package for a 1C.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:20 PM
DesertDawg

don't expect him to be traded, but you never know...
and he is a top asset that isn't currently on the roster...
and who knows what the direction that the franchise will go...

Old
05-03-2011, 10:00 PM
BronxBruin

The Bruins were supposedly very high on Gormley last year. If Murphy and Hamilton are off the board by the time the #9 pick rolls around, I could see them considering trading it to Phoenix for Gormley straight up. There is some precedent for this sort of thing with Rundblad being traded to Ottawa at last year's draft.

BronxBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:54 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Not me. RNH makes Kyle Turris look like Mike Tyson and the same goes for Strome. Landeskog looks like he could actually make an NHL impact in the next five years, though. Possibly Couturier, too. Still, I like the idea of having Yandle, OEL, and Gormley staggered in age.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBruin View Post
The Bruins were supposedly very high on Gormley last year. If Murphy and Hamilton are off the board by the time the #9 pick rolls around, I could see them considering trading it to Phoenix for Gormley straight up. There is some precedent for this sort of thing with Rundblad being traded to Ottawa at last year's draft.
Yeah but this is a crap draft year. I wouldnt go for it, personally.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:16 AM
ducky

The Boston pick is a crap offer. Gormley was rated top 6 last year. Trading him for a 9th this year is silly.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
The Boston pick is a crap offer. Gormley was rated top 6 last year. Trading him for a 9th this year is silly.
Rated by whom? "B-b-but, some scouting services had him higher!"

If the Coyotes had someone they liked a lot at 9, moreso than Gormley, would it be "silly" then? But, oh, I forgot, he was "rated" higher. That definitely has any sort of meaning. My lord, the ridiculousness abound.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:31 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I imagine he's worth 5th overall + at this upcoming draft.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:55 AM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Rated by whom? "B-b-but, some scouting services had him higher!"

If the Coyotes had someone they liked a lot at 9, moreso than Gormley, would it be "silly" then? But, oh, I forgot, he was "rated" higher. That definitely has any sort of meaning. My lord, the ridiculousness abound.
No, it wouldn't. But they don't. You don't have to rely on scouting services to know this year's draft class is significantly weaker than last year's.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:06 AM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
No, it wouldn't. But they don't. You don't have to rely on scouting services to know this year's draft class is significantly weaker than last year's.
Actually, you have no idea what you're talking about. The top end talent is weak this year, but it is viewed as a deep draft after the top picks.

You know who keeps insisting its not a good draft year? Teams with crap picks in it. Just like last year, just like the year before.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:27 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Actually, you have no idea what you're talking about. The top end talent is weak this year, but it is viewed as a deep draft after the top picks.

You know who keeps insisting its not a good draft year? Teams with crap picks in it. Just like last year, just like the year before.
Meh. I'm with RR on this one.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Fastasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBruin View Post
Id do that from the Bruins.

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote