HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where Does Your Anger Lie?

View Poll Results: Where Does Your Anger Lie?
Kris Versteeg - For bringing the Leafs to the Flyers. 9 5.20%
Mike Richards - For not leading by example. 13 7.51%
Scott Hartnell - For not knowing how to skate. 1 0.58%
Ville Leino - For not stepping up like last year. 0 0%
Jeff Carter - For never being a clutch player. 2 1.16%
Blair Betts - For sucking at faceoffs. 0 0%
Matt Carle - For reminding us he sucks without Pronger. 2 1.16%
Brian Boucher - For pretending to be a starting goalie. 10 5.78%
Sergei Bobrovsky - For getting beat easily up high. 3 1.73%
Michael Leighton - For being alive. 1 0.58%
Peter Laviolette - For messing with the goalies heads. 6 3.47%
Paul Holmgren - For not getting a goalie. 95 54.91%
Ed Snider - For never hiring a GM that will get a goalie. 6 3.47%
Other 5 2.89%
No one - It is what it is. What can you do? 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2011, 01:00 PM
  #51
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitch154 View Post
Of all people why would you guys want to move him? Or even suggest it for a goalie no less. Your team is only a goalie away from being a legit force. Having an unproven rookie and 2 journeymen as goaltenders only spells disaster. Your forward and D group is near tops in the league, you just need a goalie. Badly.
Why would I move Richards ???

You have to give to get, and I'm done with this revolving door.

In order to get a top tier goalie I am willing to move a significant piece. I'm not a big fan of either Bryzgallov or Vokoun.

In the end I think it comes down to Richards or Carter. They are the two players that carry the requisite value and also have enough of a cap hit, they the move would work.

I would move either Richards or Carter, but gun to my head I would move Richards first.

Both players have big positives and their negatives. On our team, Richards positives are more easily replaceable that Carter's.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:01 PM
  #52
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
hockey is a game of confidence
if there is no confidence, ( especially with what they have to work with in net ) the entire team suffers
If they had a goalie that actually could stop a puck , there would be a totally different team playing in front of hiim.

if this team were to not change (except for getting a first rate goalie),
you'd see a whole different series here, and going to 7 against buffalo last series would never have happened either.


you seen it here on the boards for every game
(whose starting in net ? why aren't they starting .... )
if we are questioning goaltending for each and every game , then I'd have to imaging the players are too



Flyers goals against in 10 playoff games:
18 (against buffalo) in 7 games
15 (against boston) in 3 games
how many of these goals were ones that
any other half decent , 1st rate goalie would have saved ???
probably in the 13-17 range , if you went through each game's highlights
When a team in front of the goalie is not working, not skating, not competing, you could literally have the Lord himself in net and it would do not good. The Flyers got beat down last night, abused, totally 100% dominated in every facet of the game, I still do not think they won a faceoff during the whole game, the Bruins center let them win a faceoff.

Yes, goaltending is necessary. Yes, make the timely saves. But the Flyers players have quit. That was a sandbag game if I have ever seen one.


Look at this photo, what does it tell you?



Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:02 PM
  #53
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,713
vCash: 500
Well, JVR is paying attention.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:02 PM
  #54
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Why would I move Richards ???

You have to give to get, and I'm done with this revolving door.

In order to get a top tier goalie I am willing to move a significant piece. I'm not a big fan of either Bryzgallov or Vokoun.

In the end I think it comes down to Richards or Carter. They are the two players that carry the requisite value and also have enough of a cap hit, they the move would work.

I would move either Richards or Carter, but gun to my head I would move Richards first.

Both players have big positives and their negatives. On our team, Richards positives are more easily replaceable that Carter's.
Actually I disagree, Richards has the potential to show up in the playoffs.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:02 PM
  #55
RoyMunson
Registered User
 
RoyMunson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The true irony.......Zherdev looked like the best Flyer on the ice last night.
I'm not saying Lav's mind games won't work on some of them, but I fear some of the team is already lost.

Physical fatigue leads to mental fatigue leads to discontent leads to firing of coaches.

Winning usually cures all, but winning hasn't really been a thing for this team since the allstar break.

RoyMunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:03 PM
  #56
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, JVR is paying attention.
Bam.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:05 PM
  #57
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Bam.
Leino is asleep. That also explains a lot.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
  #58
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMunson View Post
I'm not saying Lav's mind games won't work on some of them, but I fear some of the team is already lost.

Physical fatigue leads to mental fatigue leads to discontent leads to firing of coaches.

Winning usually cures all, but winning hasn't really been a thing for this team since the allstar break.
Thus why subtraction: Carter, Hartnell, Carcillo, Leino(???), and possibly Carle.

can help with the addition: Bryzgalov, Larose, Konopka, Simmonds(Carter to LA), and Gustaffson to replace Carle(resign O'Donnell).

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
  #59
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Actually I disagree, Richards has the potential to show up in the playoffs.
Richards has been healthy, and Carter hasn't the last 3 years. Obviously that's a big issue.

We desperately needed a healthy Carter against Boston. Carter's speed would give this Boston defense all kinds of problems, just like JVR is doing.

Richards wears down over the course of the season, and his physical play isn't a factor at all. Richards is also doing almost nothing at even strength. Carter is our best even strength offensive player, and has been for years.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
  #60
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, JVR is paying attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Leino is asleep. That also explains a lot.
JVR looks like he is actually staring at Leino wondering why he is sleeping.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:09 PM
  #61
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Leino is asleep. That also explains a lot.
He OD'd on cortisone injections for his hip.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
  #62
Phileeguy
RIP Pat
 
Phileeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 5,026
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Leino is asleep. That also explains a lot.
Dreaming of goal producing spin-o-ramas of the ever so distant past perhaps?

Anywho, voted for Homer. Apart from the likes of JvR and Giroux, it has been a team lack of effort that dug them this hole and he's the guy that put 'em together.

Surprised there was no Mullen option, guess he'd fall under "other." Lack of a PP also helped get them here. Boston's PP might be worse, but their goaltending and all around effort has been way better.

Phileeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
  #63
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Richards has been healthy, and Carter hasn't the last 3 years. Obviously that's a big issue.

We desperately needed a healthy Carter against Boston. Carter's speed would give this Boston defense all kinds of problems, just like JVR is doing.

Richards wears down over the course of the season, and his physical play isn't a factor at all. Richards is also doing almost nothing at even strength. Carter is our best even strength offensive player, and has been for years.
Ironically the Flyers needed to slow the play down a little, grind it out and focus on wearing down their defense. Pressure the puck on the d-mans stick, they are not the most agile crew on the backend.

Richards needs to focus on an offseason workout regimen.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
  #64
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,253
vCash: 500
I voted for Holmgren because I know how this is going to go in the offseason. He will blame the injuries above all else and that will be the end of it.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:17 PM
  #65
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,713
vCash: 500
@Cartsie: I don't take any of the players you listed over Carter.


However, I would start taking a hard look at Hartnell's cap hit, and figure out how to move him. Unfortunately, his contract and his NMC(or NTC, whatever) are going to make him difficult to to do anything at all with...the team would likely get Yzermaned again.

Get Carle out of here. He's like Mike Green, but with less offensive ability. He'd be the easiest to move.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:19 PM
  #66
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Richards needs to focus on an offseason workout regimen.
Absolutely

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:31 PM
  #67
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
When a team in front of the goalie is not working, not skating, not competing, you could literally have the Lord himself in net and it would do not good. The Flyers got beat down last night, abused, totally 100% dominated in every facet of the game, I still do not think they won a faceoff during the whole game, the Bruins center let them win a faceoff.

Yes, goaltending is necessary. Yes, make the timely saves. But the Flyers players have quit. That was a sandbag game if I have ever seen one.


Look at this photo, what does it tell you?


That was a pretty disgracefull effort last night. Probably one of the worst I have seen since that 8-0 game to Buffalo a half a dozen years ago or whatever it was. look I realize those 2 early goals were a terrible start, but if the team had already given up after 1 minute then well I dont know what to say anymore.
After EVERYTHING this team has gone thru the last 2 seasons including this one to give up in a hockey game that has 59 minutes left is totally unnacceptable. There are some players on this team that dont deserve to wear the Flyers crest. Our best players and the leaders of this team have not been good enough. not even close. 7 out of the 9 plus periods have been a disgracefull effort.
Maybe tho in the end this will be the best thing that could of happened. No one wants to lose, but maybe (I am not holding my breath tho) that this will be the best thing that could of happened if you want to get whats wrong fixed and not be clouded by a deep run.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:35 PM
  #68
zbryne
Registered User
 
zbryne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
signing leighton before free agency opened up was the big worst part for me.

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:38 PM
  #69
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
@Cartsie: I don't take any of the players you listed over Carter.


However, I would start taking a hard look at Hartnell's cap hit, and figure out how to move him. Unfortunately, his contract and his NMC(or NTC, whatever) are going to make him difficult to to do anything at all with...the team would likely get Yzermaned again.

Get Carle out of here. He's like Mike Green, but with less offensive ability. He'd be the easiest to move.
And thus why you move Carter, use his space to sign Bryzgalov, and get something of high value in return. Everyone agrees that Carter should be a highly sought after centerman and should get back AT LEAST what Kessel got for the Bruins. If his value is truly that high there is no reason why it should not be considered.

Move Hartnell for some picks or put him on waivers. I am talking clean some house here, that is how bad it is!

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:39 PM
  #70
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And thus why you move Carter, use his space to sign Bryzgalov, and get something of high value in return. Everyone agrees that Carter should be a highly sought after centerman and should get back AT LEAST what Kessel got for the Bruins. If his value is truly that high there is no reason why it should not be considered.

Move Hartnell for some picks or put him on waivers. I am talking clean some house here, that is how bad it is!
This team can't afford half of Hartnell's salary as dead space. That's a worse idea than trading Carter for scrap.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:48 PM
  #71
Swiper the Fox
Registered User
 
Swiper the Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
After EVERYTHING this team has gone thru the last 2 seasons including this one to give up in a hockey game that has 59 minutes left is totally unnacceptable.
going down two goals in first minute in itself would not have been a big deal ( if it was only a one time thing that happened in these playoffs )

problem is: too many of the games ended up with weak goals being allowed, and a revolving door or carousel of goaltender changes.
this is a bit too much for just about any team
eventually............. you just run out of steam i think
the mind eventually just gives up all hope ( just like all of ours did ) throughout buffaloand now boston

even if they could come back from this being down 0-3 again, there is no way they can get by
tampa or even ( sharks/redwings/canucks / predators) each one of those remaining teams has a goalie that can produce each and every game and the team is not worried in the least, that they'll allow any cheap , bad goals.
(confidence)

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:55 PM
  #72
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,253
vCash: 500
I just hate having quitters on my hockey team. I can take getting beat or losing. I dont like it but I can deal with it. But to me I hate when a team or player quits. Pisses me off to no end.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:40 PM
  #73
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
going down two goals in first minute in itself would not have been a big deal ( if it was only a one time thing that happened in these playoffs )

problem is: too many of the games ended up with weak goals being allowed, and a revolving door or carousel of goaltender changes.
this is a bit too much for just about any team
eventually............. you just run out of steam i think
the mind eventually just gives up all hope ( just like all of ours did ) throughout buffaloand now boston

even if they could come back from this being down 0-3 again, there is no way they can get by
tampa or even ( sharks/redwings/canucks / predators) each one of those remaining teams has a goalie that can produce each and every game and the team is not worried in the least, that they'll allow any cheap , bad goals.
(confidence)
Forget the bad goals. This team got spanked last night. They got beat in ever facet of the game. Goaltending has not been good, but this team has been in a tailspin since February. Let's not get off the real issue here, this team did not compete at a level high enough to win with good goaltending. Watch the other series and you will see teams competing, this team flat out quit last night.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:52 PM
  #74
Swiper the Fox
Registered User
 
Swiper the Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Forget the bad goals. This team got spanked last night. They got beat in ever facet of the game. Goaltending has not been good, but this team has been in a tailspin since February. Let's not get off the real issue here, this team did not compete at a level high enough to win with good goaltending. Watch the other series and you will see teams competing, this team flat out quit last night.

sorry, you can't forget the bad goals......
(its deflating)

on these boards.........we all have been questioning the goaltending situation
month before playoffs and during playoffs
the media questioned the goaltending

you don't think the players/coaching staff thinking the same thing ?
and if your mind is questioning the goaltending and goaltending does in fact fail them , motivation is lost quickly.
Had boucher not allowed those 2 fast goals........... a different flyers team would have been playing out there last night

this team ( with exception of versteeg (whom i can't stand to see in a flyers jersey since being in a hawks uni ) and shelly ( just a big oaf that does nothing ) can go
all the way

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
  #75
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
sorry, you can't forget the bad goals......
(its deflating)

on these boards.........we all have been questioning the goaltending situation
month before playoffs and during playoffs
the media questioned the goaltending

you don't think the players/coaching staff thinking the same thing ?
and if your mind is questioning the goaltending and goaltending does in fact fail them , motivation is lost quickly.
Had boucher not allowed those 2 fast goals........... a different flyers team would have been playing out there last night

this team ( with exception of versteeg (whom i can't stand to see in a flyers jersey since being in a hawks uni ) and shelly ( just a big oaf that does nothing ) can go
all the way
I agree 100%. Any team made of any set of NHL players having Boucher/Leighton/Bob giving up softies early EVERY game will eventually quit. They knew no matter how dominate they were (like almost every game this postseason) they were going to lose. Why bother? I am not saying they said "**** it, I quit", I am saying, the mental fatique got the best of them. Once the demons get in your head, it is hard to focus on pushing yourself through the pain of playoff hockey, knowing irregardless your crappy goalie will find a way to lose the game anyway.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.