HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it a good time to go after Backstrom...

Old
05-05-2011, 10:27 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Price would be way too high, and he's quite overrated, in my opinion.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:30 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Actually, it would. If we made that deal, we probably aren't signing Richards since we'll have to use whatever money we have to replace Girardi and find someone to play left wing.
Not when you have a young guy like Sauer that could be the best D man on the team next year at the rate hes going. I wouldint worry abour replacing Girardi.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:12 PM
94now

Stall, McDonah, Anisimov to start.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:25 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Stall, McDonah, Anisimov to start.
Rangers would be fools to do that.

FOOLS!

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Not when you have a young guy like Sauer that could be the best D man on the team next year at the rate hes going. I wouldint worry abour replacing Girardi.
Not true.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I think they will look to shake up and may trade him but we are not a good match.

They will want to replace him at the C pos + more.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:28 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Rangers would be fools to do that.

FOOLS!
I agree, WAS would be fools to ask for anything less, though.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:35 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
I agree, WAS would be fools to ask for anything less, though.
He's not worth that.

A good player, no question.

A legit 1st line center, again, no question.

Through no fault of his own, he's not been able to prove that his points are not the direct or indirect result of playing on the same team as Ovechkin.

He's a Mikko Koivu clone, just younger.

Numbers would be the same if you swapped players.

Koivu isn't worth that package and Backstrom isn't either.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
He's not worth that.

A good player, no question.

A legit 1st line center, again, no question.

Through no fault of his own, he's not been able to prove that his points are not the direct or indirect result of playing on the same team as Ovechkin.

He's a Mikko Koivu clone, just younger.

Numbers would be the same if you swapped players.

Koivu isn't worth that package and Backstrom isn't either.
Wow, you are severely underrating Backstrom. I wonder if you have seen him play outside of the playoff games against the Rangers. The guy is absolutely elite.

Koivu is a 1B center, his best season he had 71 points. He usually gets around 60 or so, granted he would do better on a more offensive team, but he's not a 100 point guy.

Backstrom is. Seriously, this comment is absurd. I wouldn't trade the farm for Backstrom, especially since we can just get richards for free, atm, but come on man. If he was on the Rangers you'd be singing his praises like he was a God.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:15 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Players like Backstrom and Semin are the reason why the Caps lose. They're skilled, but they lack the drive to be winners. I don't want them and I certainly don't want to give up the truckload of parts to get them.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Players like Backstrom and Semin are the reason why the Caps lose. They're skilled, but they lack the drive to be winners. I don't want them and I certainly don't want to give up the truckload of parts to get them.
Backstrom had a bad playoffs this year, but he absolutely has the drive it takes to be a winner.

Semin and Green on the other hand are different stories. I really think a lot of people in this thread are just associating Backstrom with the typical European stereotype. Backstrom is a hardworking player, who has a ton of skill and does all the small things right as well. He's no slouch and we would be lucky to have him.

That said, i still don't want to trade for him because it would tear apart our core.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:14 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Get real. We do not need winners here. We need great regular season players, no more. That is because Rangers don't plan to win big. SC is not in business plan. We will not see SC any time soon if ever. Players like Backstrom and Semin are exactly what Dolan needs. That is because this WAS season is an ultimate NYR target. Thereore not only we will try to get those, we will give all we got for them. The problem is we will failed to that too.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I would stop short of saying Backstrom is overrated, but his numbers are certainly inflated playing primary with a generational talent like Ovechkin on his wing. Considering we'd have to give up serious assets to get him and take on his marathon contract, I'm inclined to say no thanks.

I'd rather have Richards who will cost nothing but cap space with half the term. Sure, hes older than Backstrom, but he has a history of making good players look great (especially in Dallas), which is what he'd have to do here.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Another team will offer a significantly better package than that.

If we would want Backstrom it would likely look something like this.

Staal
Stepan
Kreider
McIlrath/Del Zotto
1st

And im not even sure that would get it done.
lol that would get it done. We're not trading for Crosby.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Why on earth would you (anyone) want to move Girardi of all people? The guy is a horse and was probably our best defender in the playoffs. No way do I trade a guy who lead the league in blocked shots, plays every shift against the other team's top line, and averages 20+ minutes a night for Mr. Softie.

And, Mr. Girardi also led our team in D scoring...
I suggested moving Girardi in another post, simply because his value is likely at its all-time high right now. Everyone saw him as our best shutdown defender in the playoffs. He blocks shot after shot, is an absolute warrior, and rarely ever makes a mistake. He also makes a fair amount of money for what he delivers. For these reasons, yes, I'd like to keep him. But, you also have to manage your assets and not overly fall in love with your homegrowns. I don't think Girardi is going to get much better than what he is right now. He's not getting any younger, and playing the way he does, he's long overdue for the injury bug. If you can significantly improve another weaker area of the team (since defense is now a huge strength with the emergence of McD and Sauer as legit top 4 d-men already, and Del Zotto and possibly McIlrath on the horizon), you have to do it. We have the depth to absorb the loss felt by Girardi's absence.

I suggested Gaborik for Jack Johnson + Wayne Simmonds

followed by

Girardi, Anisimov, Wolski or mid-level-prospect, and a 1st round pick for Lecavalier

If they don't want Wolski, trade him to a team like Columbus, Florida, Atlanta, Dallas for a late pick.

This would still leave us with enough money to sign Richards.

Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Fedotenko Lecavalier Zuccarello
Grachev Stepan Kreider
Hagelin Boyle Prust

Staal Johnson
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto _______ <-- cheap vet FA on a 1 year deal

Lundqvist
Biron

Yes, I know. I'll keep dreaming.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Get real. We do not need winners here. We need great regular season players, no more. That is because Rangers don't plan to win big. SC is not in business plan. We will not see SC any time soon if ever. Players like Backstrom and Semin are exactly what Dolan needs. That is because this WAS season is an ultimate NYR target. Thereore not only we will try to get those, we will give all we got for them. The problem is we will failed to that too.
We better get rid of Stepan, Callahan, Staal, Lundqvist and Dubinsky if this is really the case. They're winners. And off hand I know Stepan and Lundqvist have done it on an international level.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Why is there two threads of proposals for the two biggest Washington playoff busts of the last 3 years???

STOP IT DAMMIT.

NO GREEN, NO BACKSTROM. NO!!!!

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I feel obligated to point out that Richard's career high in points is 91.

Backstrom put up 101 as a 21 year old.

Of course, this doesn't take into consideration assets required for purchase, but if it was a matter of who'd you rather, i'm taking Backstrom. Even for just one season, salary, age, assets excluded.

05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Of course, this doesn't take into consideration assets required for purchase, but if it was a matter of who'd you rather, i'm taking Backstrom. Even for just one season, salary, age, assets excluded.
It also doesnt take into consideration that Backstrom played with Ovechkin and Richards, well, he didnt.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

I disagree. Richards is a better player than Backstrom. He makes others around him much better. Backstrom does so as well, but not on Richards level. If it is one year, i take Richards.

Now if were talking about the future and hypothetically speaking, both are UFA's, i choose Backstrom, easy.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:33 PM
free0717

I hope what I think is going to happen, doesnt happen. Yes this team lacks elite talent. Other teams, unless blown away won't trade elite talent and I can't blame them. I want this team to stay the course. I know Henrik is not getting younger but everytime we sign a big Free Agent, we get bitten in the ass.

Hopefully a player like a Horak or a Hagelin that we think is going to become an OK player develops into a Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

Just keep drafting the best we can (In Gordie we trust). Keep developing and hopefully one of these off the radar guys becomes elite. We know that Sather and Company are not going to let this team have a bottom 5 season. Not as long as Dolan owns the team. Dolan knows this is suicide to the corporate crowd.

I know this is not sexy like signing the big Free Agent on July 1.

It seems that no top 5 or 10 draft order teams trade back. The Isles did a few spaces a few years ago, but it seems most teams hold on to there picks(and I dont blame them). This is a different game than football. In football, to get good fast, you need alot of good players. The only elite player you need is the QB.

In Hockey, you want the young elite player to be part of your core. Then you add to the core.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I hope what I think is going to happen, doesnt happen. Yes this team lacks elite talent. Other teams, unless blown away won't trade elite talent and I can't blame them. I want this team to stay the course. I know Henrik is not getting younger but everytime we sign a big Free Agent, we get bitten in the ass.

Hopefully a player like a Horak or a Hagelin that we think is going to become an OK player develops into a Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

Just keep drafting the best we can (In Gordie we trust). Keep developing and hopefully one of these off the radar guys becomes elite. We know that Sather and Company are not going to let this team have a bottom 5 season. Not as long as Dolan owns the team. Dolan knows this is suicide to the corporate crowd.

I know this is not sexy like signing the big Free Agent on July 1.

It seems that no top 5 or 10 draft order teams trade back. The Isles did a few spaces a few years ago, but it seems most teams hold on to there picks(and I dont blame them). This is a different game than football. In football, to get good fast, you need alot of good players. The only elite player you need is the QB.

In Hockey, you want the young elite player to be part of your core. Then you add to the core.
I dont think we can really hope for any of those guys to become elite. Only one i see having an outside shot is thomas and possibly kreider.

P.S. J-Wowws face is busted!

Old
05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
satrabyk

I was thinking more along the lines of Dubi, Girardi and prospect but obviously other feel Staal has to be involved if that is the case i say no.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Unless the player in question is Alexander Ovechkin, I want nothing to do with Capitals players.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:11 PM
satrabyk

[QUOTE=Gravey94;32904604]Unless the player in question is Alexander Ovechkin, I want nothing to do with Capitals players.[/QUOTE

Sure Ovi cheers the biggest, but his play in the playoffs imo has been quite poor every year. He just doesent bring it in the more tense competetive games as other guys do. In some ways i think hes too nice, similar to Thornton and in the playoffs you have to have a certain character to excell. They are both more regular season guys and always will be. Backstrom on the other hand i could see winning a cup not on Wash, call me crazy.