HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Getting respect

Old
05-02-2011, 10:05 PM
SK74 Snipes

vCash: 500
Getting respect

It feels good to open up the Tsn.ca Home page and see a full article about our building and fans. We have waited a long time to earn the respect of the The NHL and all of Canada and I think it is finally starting to happen.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:09 AM
AEM6729

Link please!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:11 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I think it's a video. It keeps telling me they are having temporary difficulties trying to download the video.

But the headline to the video is:

Quote:
A Solid Foundation: The Preds have become Exhibit A for the NHL's argument against moving a franchise until they have to.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:37 AM
SK74 Snipes

Yes front page video, my bad should have been more specific.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:32 AM
brah

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip459899#clip459899

brah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Adz

Did you happen to see today's sports section of the Tennessean? First page--4/5 Preds, 1/5 Titans, 2nd page--USA Today Canned Baseball Report, 3rd Page--7/8 Preds, 4th page--ads and capsule about sports in general.

It's kind of scary, really...but a scary I can live with.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Did you happen to see today's sports section of the Tennessean? First page--4/5 Preds, 1/5 Titans, 2nd page--USA Today Canned Baseball Report, 3rd Page--7/8 Preds, 4th page--ads and capsule about sports in general.

I disbelieve. Pics or it didn't happen.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
SavageSteve

Now if the Tennessean can get all of the guys selling the homeless papers to start selling their newspapers, they might have some circulation once again!!!

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Suter x 20

Living in a predominately anti-Nashville/anti-Southern hockey city, and country, I can honestly say people are starting to come around to Nashvlle. When people used to ask me what team I cheered for and I would say Nashville, they would say "Seriously? Who else? You have to be kidding...". Now, I'm getting a bit more respect and people are starting to compliment Pekka...a lot lol .

A ton of people in my city, usually anti-Nashville, are now in fact cheering for Nashville. They are inviting me over to watch the games instead of putting on a different game. They want to watch Rinne, Weber and Tootoo.

I think, personally, if we can beat Vancouver this series the respect will sky rocket...

It's starting to turn around...but a series win here will solidify the respect.

Good video, good find .

Go preds!

Suter x 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That's great to hear. It's one thing for other cities/teams to respect you, it's another thing for Tennessee itself to respect the popularity of the game and the team by giving them more exposure. I can't comment on it too much because obviously I don't watch/read local media outlets there but sounds like hockey is becoming close to or just as big as the big three (baseball, football, basketball). What's great about it is that they are not baseball fans, football fans, hockey fans, etc....they're people that watch all sports and bring the same enthusiasm and energy they would to any other sporting event. Good stuff. Get loud.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I know, it's kind of taking a leap of faith, isn't it?

I have the section at home, but I'll see if I can get pictures and then get my son to post it. I'm clueless about that stuff.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:36 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandypred View Post
Now if the Tennessean can get all of the guys selling the homeless papers to start selling their newspapers, they might have some circulation once again!!!

Would also help if the newspaper was more than fishwrap.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:01 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Hey guys Coyotes fan here. I'm really excited for the city of Nashville and it's fans. Hoping you guys can pull off the upset. I can only imagine how many good things will come from that. Hockey can work in non traditional markets, a little winning goes a long way of course.

Anyone care to comment how much youth hockey has benefitted lately?

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Badger36

Its nice to see a non-traditional hockey market have such awesome fans. Im hoping you guys pull off the upset and send those rotten Canucks home!

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:06 AM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Its nice to see a non-traditional hockey market have such awesome fans. Im hoping you guys pull off the upset and send those rotten Canucks home!
I really hope that doesn't happen as I'm a Canucks fan.

but straight up, having played a bunch of games against you guys the last few seasons, I'm really not at all surprised about this. TSN and CBC don't usually broadcast any of your games, so I'm sure its news to them. But for the last 2 years, I think you guys have had the loudest barn in the NHL... No joke. And I'm surprised at how intelligent your crowd is. (not patronizing y'all) you guys always cheer at the right time and catch all the subtleties of the game.

With that said, maybe the CBC turns down the crowd audio because the last game seemed way below your standards. Any season ticket holders care to clarify?

Taco Fingerhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:21 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
With that said, maybe the CBC turns down the crowd audio because the last game seemed way below your standards. Any season ticket holders care to clarify?
It seemed that way to me as well, I watched it on Fox and even when our broadcaster Pete Weber said the crowd was at 101db it didn't seem as loud as any games in the Ducks series. I joked with my brother and told him maybe all the fair weather band wagon peps bought up the tickets and aren't as passionate as the regulars this game. Anyway thanks for the compliments.

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:25 PM
mattydamon

Canucks fan here. Just chiming in that I'm glad to see the preds getting some cred as a legit fanbase and NHL team. Something I was curious about, what makes you guys such a good market vs some of the other failing southern U.S teams? Namely Atlanta and Phoenix?

mattydamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Adz

I think we were a bit subdued. When all that attention is focused on us, it's a bit disconcerting. It's like when someone tells you to "walk naturally"...all of a sudden, it's hard to do!

What makes us such a good market?

Hmmm. Probably the fact that we're a tightly knit community in many ways. We help one another when the need arises. The chips were down in the summer of 2007 and a lot of borderline fans really came through to help out this team--from buying tickets to actually buying the team! Nashvillians may not agree on everything, but one thing we can agree on is we don't like others coming in and saying negative things about us--especially if they haven't even been here. There were a lot of good things going on in Nashville that were misrepresented--as much by OUR newspaper as by other outlets. We didn't like it and we fought it. And that brought everyone closer. Another thing is our team. They're hard workers and we like that about them. They seem to like us, we like them--mutual admiration society. We support them and they go far beyond their supposed abilities sometimes.

Last edited by Adz: 05-05-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: To address the question about our market.
Old
05-05-2011, 02:48 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Atlanta hasn't really had a team that's easily to support. Year after year they're looking forward to the draft, the team has no direction or identity. I mean really if you asked me what type of "team" the Predators are, I wouldn't even think about it before I answered, "they're a hard working aggressive forechecking team that has great defenseman and a great goalie".

What would you answer if I asked that about Atlanta? I think if Atlanta got a hard working team, like the Predators, that had some sort of direction, they'd catch on as a market.

And sooner or later if you keep putting a product on the ice that doesn't compete, they fans are going to turn on you.

The Yotes, I can't say. They're not in the south, they're in the west, totally different...

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:49 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydamon View Post
Canucks fan here. Just chiming in that I'm glad to see the preds getting some cred as a legit fanbase and NHL team. Something I was curious about, what makes you guys such a good market vs some of the other failing southern U.S teams? Namely Atlanta and Phoenix?
Ownership. Ownership. Ownership.

The community helps, but I'd say most markets as small as our would say they are a close-knit community as well. Atlanta has enough people that it should work if it's marketed correctly, and if the team is properly run from the top all the way through to the ice crew. Phoenix, even though the team was stupidly moved outside of the metro area, has a large enough population surrounding it, too. I think both areas have shown signs of good hockey life after some success on the ice, but it's up to the ownership to bring in the quality marketing and entire arena experience to keep those fans coming back. To get those fans talking to friends. To hook kids for life so they have generations of support waiting in the wings. edit: and I don't mean just gimmicks like bringing in Gretzky to coach... people have to understand their communities in order to grow ANYTHING, especially a sport that is relatively new to a lot of the residents

Give Atlanta, Phoenix, Columbus, Florida the same set up we've had since Craig left the building and I bet you see almost instant turn around.

Oh and we have the best damn fans in the entire sporting world

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

Oh and we have the best damn fans in the entire sporting world
This is key. Somehow, we have combined football, basketball and soccer traditions with hockey traditions, added to it a bandstand and a very athletic (and creative) mascot, and come up with a type and level of celebrating that is uniquely ours. Just the experience brings people back, if they're not too exhausted.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:06 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

it just needs more tailgating and BBQ.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
I agree, I live in Ottawa and we are talking about how great it is what the Preds are doing with their organization.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

The reason why I started rooting for the Predators is because I love these fans

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
it just needs more tailgating and BBQ.
for that, you must go to raleigh. i actually saw alot of canes fans in the nashville crowd tonight. southern hockey teams that are successful have the best fans, alot of which is due to the availability of tickets. 65 bucks for a bowl seat? i'm in

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote