HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 WCSF -Round 2- (5) Nashville Predators 2 vs. (1) Vancouver Canucks 4

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Jonesey
KCCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexinMyPeks View Post
I have 2 game packs that I want to send out to you Preds fans that can't attend the games. It will include a "stand with me" gold playoff shirt, rally towel and game 3 game program. The first two out of towners that pm me will get them.
Golfmade wants one if he didn't get one already. I couldn't snag any extras.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
JacklegJack

Can't lose this one boys! Harness the anger and frustration of Game 3, you must! I don't want to lose any faith here, but I don't like our chances if we end the night down 3 games to 1; we've played far too inconsistently in this series to make me think that hammering out three consecutive wins against the Nucks is possible.

GWG prediction: Nick Spaling

Also, before these playoffs I never thought I would ever say this, but damn... bring back Pierre McGuire! That guy was all class during his commentary of the series with the Ducks. I swear I'm going to throw the remote at the television if I have to listen to another night of Jim ****ing Hughson.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:32 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexinMyPeks View Post
I have 2 game packs that I want to send out to you Preds fans that can't attend the games. It will include a "stand with me" gold playoff shirt, rally towel and game 3 game program. The first two out of towners that pm me will get them.
I could be wrong, but I think golfmade has his on the way. Didn't Jussi from Finland want one?

Old
05-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Everlong
-

Does anyone find the phrase "stand with us" on the tshirts a little corny? Could have gone with something a little less PG13. That's just me.

Last edited by Everlong: 05-05-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Since the marketing theme has focused on the Preds' appreciation for our standing ovations, and we are individually wearing the shirt/holding the towel, I don't think it's particularly corny.

I don't think "Eat it, Corey" would have made it by the NHL...

Old
05-05-2011, 12:45 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
Does anyone find the phrase "stand with me" on the tshirts a little corny? Could have gone with something a little less PG13. That's just me.
We have to keep marketing to families in order to form a solid youth fan base. Kids will grow up to buy season tickets on their own if their parents keep bringing them. Corny tag lines won't keep people away, but being too edgy might in this region of the States.

(though I hope when I'm in my 40s we can start being a bit less family oriented and bit more mean)

Old
05-05-2011, 01:09 PM
token grinder

i get the stand with us...but I also think "We run this town" would have been appropriate

Old
05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i get the stand with us...but I also think "We run this town" would have been appropriate
I LOVE that theme. I think that's the best open since those damfine animations they used to have back in the 2000's.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:45 PM
braindead

Isn't there a G today?

If so, doesn't that make this GD?

If so, and we want to discuss, shouldn't there be a GDT?

If so, can it be so threadbare as to not be used on the main board please.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:54 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Your fans have confused the canucks.com forum (cdc) so much! I don't think they are used to such nice posters. I think they are experiencing this weird feeling known as respect.

The funny thing is that one of our moderators posted an interesting fact about a few of the Nashville troll posters:
Quote:
[quote name='StealthNuck' timestamp='1304620938' post='9643937']
Thanks for the pics.

It's worth noting that the majority of 'Predator' trolls here have had Chicago IP's.

It's hard to hate Nashville, solid fan-base.
[/QUOTE]

Just thought it was funny that even the majority of troll posters arent even from Nashville. chicago's trying to make you look bad. 20 Cent's at it again.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
Does anyone find the phrase "stand with us" on the tshirts a little corny? Could have gone with something a little less PG13. That's just me.
We could be like the Colorado Buffalos: **** em up! **** em up! Go CU!

Old
05-05-2011, 07:17 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I could be wrong, but I think golfmade has his on the way. Didn't Jussi from Finland want one?
I'll be getting a couple shirts and yeah I know JussiM would love one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears19 View Post
We could be like the Colorado Buffalos: **** em up! **** em up! Go CU!
Ugh, I want nothing to do with CU.

Old
05-05-2011, 07:39 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Speaking of the shirts, I got a reply from the team after emailing them:

Quote:
Evan,

Thank you for your email and your support in Taiwan!

We wish we could send you items from our playoff games, but we only ordered enough for the seats in the arena and actually ran out last night.

We hope you continue to wear your Vokoun jersey and continue to support us. When you do make it to Nashville please let us know so we can make your visit a special one!

Thanks!
Fan Relations
I thought it was nice for them to respond to me.

Last edited by golfmade: 05-05-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old
05-05-2011, 07:43 PM
JussiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
That I did and just like that, I have one on its way. Unbelievebly kind people you are, I'm still amazed, wow!

"...from Finland" huh, I like that, nick change might be in order.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:42 PM
lefty2time*

I know that the series isnt over yet...3-1 Van is a long way from a Canucks win but I want to say that for a team that really doenst have any 1st line players....you guys are doing really well.
imagine if you guys were able to spend to the cap. You have what..9 million left to spend if the funds were available.
Maybe getting past the first round will secure you guys some more money to spend!
I'd be so excited as a Preds fan win or lose (especially if they win this series) ..but even if they lose....lots of good things in the future

Old
05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
I know that the series isnt over yet...3-1 Van is a long way from a Canucks win but I want to say that for a team that really doenst have any 1st line players....you guys are doing really well.
imagine if you guys were able to spend to the cap. You have what..9 million left to spend if the funds were available.
Maybe getting past the first round will secure you guys some more money to spend!
I'd be so excited as a Preds fan win or lose (especially if they win this series) ..but even if they lose....lots of good things in the future
Bleh. This series is pretty much over, let's be real. The players are playing like they believe that anyways.

I noticed tonight that we were passing the puck like crazy, trying to set up tick-tack-toe passing goals that we aren't talented enough to pull off. Suter in particular...especially on the PP...is maddening. He takes FOR-E-VER to make a decision; lots of times a shooting lane will open up for a split second in front of him but by the time he's decided what to do it's closed again. Ugh.

With all the attempts at cross-ice passes, it looks like we think we're still playing Emery with his non-existent lateral movement (man I miss that guy). But Luongo isn't Emery, and the Canucks are not the Ducks. It seems like Luongo gives up quite a few rebounds when we are actually able to get pucks on him, but nobody is there to clean up the garbage. Why haven't we switched to a game plan that is more straightforward...just put pucks on the net and send some forwards crashing in to hunt for rebounds?

It's like we're trying to follow the same game plan from the Anaheim series which obviously isn't gonna work. Is this the fault of the players not executing what the coaches are telling them to do, or the coaches not communicating to the players well enough what needs to be done?

Trotz said something in his post-game interview...I can't remember the exact quote (I wish I could find a link to audio of the post-game presser but I haven't been able to) but it was something like "We need to have a straightforward attack and for the first thirty minutes we had made our minds up that we weren't gonna do that". WTF?! If you have a game plan, and you have players who have decided not to follow it, what the hell is up with that?!

Please guys...we sadly are no longer playing Ray Emery. Change your approach.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:51 AM
AEM6729

BTW y'all I've got 2 yellow shirts from the past couple games and seeing as I'm a small-framed chick I definitely won't be wearing them again. PM me if you want one.

Old
05-06-2011, 06:30 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I LOVE that theme. I think that's the best open since those damfine animations they used to have back in the 2000's.
I was very disappointed that they stopped using Run This Town for this series. We won with that theme vs Anaheim and then they switched and we've lost 2 games. Go with what brought you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I noticed tonight that we were passing the puck like crazy, trying to set up tick-tack-toe passing goals that we aren't talented enough to pull off. Suter in particular...especially on the PP...is maddening. He takes FOR-E-VER to make a decision; lots of times a shooting lane will open up for a split second in front of him but by the time he's decided what to do it's closed again. Ugh.
It doesn't help that when guys finally decide what to do with the puck they have to take a huge windup instead of a wrist shot. And by the time they get the stick back down to the puck the defender is right in his lane and he blocks the shot or forces him to not shoot. But that is the entire season...every season.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I was very disappointed that they stopped using Run This Town for this series. We won with that theme vs Anaheim and then they switched and we've lost 2 games. Go with what brought you here!

It doesn't help that when guys finally decide what to do with the puck they have to take a huge windup instead of a wrist shot. And by the time they get the stick back down to the puck the defender is right in his lane and he blocks the shot or forces him to not shoot. But that is the entire season...every season.
+1 on bringing back Run This Town. I actually watched one of our intros featuring that song on YouTube before leaving for the game b/c the current opening video doesn't pump me up as much.

The frustrating thing about the passing at this point is that it seems like we haven't adjusted our strategy from the first round at all, even though we're playing a completely different opponent that obviously requires a totally different strategy. But we stubbornly refuse to change. Frustrating.

Old
05-06-2011, 10:23 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Ugh...

Ok back, sobered up, calmed down, slightly hung over (I hate you tequila, and next year I will hate you just the same)

We didn't deserve that one at all. Our PP was terrible, and we just didn't have the offense to make up for it. Non-calls and dives aside, we were just flat outplayed. I think that's what pissed me off the most. I've hated the Canucks for years, and now they are just flat beating the team I've loved for years. The extra just serves to raise my blood pressure more haha

Series isn't over yet, but chances are we don't take this beyond six games. If we can't get out of this slump of playing like complete crap then I don't see us getting past game 5, which sucks because I'd rather see us beat the hell out of these guys for the Sharks.

Go San Jose!

Old
05-06-2011, 10:29 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Not to mention our PK...

Where oh where did our PK go?

Old
05-06-2011, 10:45 AM
glenngineer

It goes back to the PP for me. If you don't have traffic in front, you're not usually going to score, especially if you don't have any snipers on the roster. We do not have one of those. We do have a few guys that will stand in front of the net ala Holmstrom. Hornqvist and Fisher will both do this. So why are they both out there at the same time is my question? Why are they playing the perimeter trying be the playmaker when they have no business doing so? Playmakers should be playing the point and/or the half boards and/or behind the net, guys who crash the net and set up screens should be, well, right on the edge of the crease annoying the heck out of the goalie.

While watching Detroit the other night, Holmstrom carried the puck into the zone, passed it to one of his teammates and headed right to the front of the net. In doing so he was marked by a defenseman. If you park a guy in front of the net the other team will either mark that player with a defenseman or leave them alone. If they are left alone, any sort of rebound will usually get picked up and put in by the player in front. If they are marked, then it's a 4 on 3 creating more space for the other 4 players on the PP to maneuver thru. Vancouver is successful against us because we play the perimeter way too much and they shut down any of the passing lanes. 4 guys to defend 5 players is easy if the 5 are on the perimeter. It's simple geometry. 3 guarding 4 is another story, especially if the 4 can move and control the puck well.

This has been an issue for years. Too much perimeter play on the PP, no one in front of the net. I love Hornqvist but seeing him behind the net trying to pass or make plays is a complete and utter waste of time because 9 times out of 10 he's losing the puck. Same thing with Fisher. We should park either Fisher and Hornqvist in front, have 2 of either Legwand, Erat, Wilson and SK out there with them to be the playmakers and go from there. If we don't want Wilson, looks like Dumont or O'Reilly would fit the bill as the playmakers as well. The playmakers also have to be willing to pull the trigger. If they don't, they're as useless as anyone else.

The other thing we haven't done the last two games is get the puck deep and Vancouver is killing us in the transition game. If we get it deep with speed coming in on them, we can effectively forecheck them but if we barely get it past the blue line, a forecheck is pointless. Need to skate harder and get it deeper. We need to be more physical. If we're going to lay a body on someone, lay it on them, don't just bump into them. I get tired of our guys pulling up right as we're about to hit them. This is the playoffs boys, hit the opponent and hit them hard. Give them a reason to fall down and flop around on the ice.

At some point, the lines need rearranging too because the ones we're fielding right now aren't working. Sorry for the captain obvious but Trotz shifted Erat to play with SK and Fisher, moved Hali up to play with Ward and Legwand and while that worked against Anaheim, it doesn't work against Vancouver. And while we've shutdown the twins for most of the series, we haven't figured out how to counter Kesler.

The sad thing is, the best lines for us have been the 3rd and 4th because they crash, the check, they are relentless. Our top 6 has been soft, slow and non existent. While I don't think the answer is play the 3rd and 4th lines more, it may be an interesting option to light a fire under the top 6.

All that said, it's not over til someone wins 4 games and while it seems hopeless and futile, we still have an all world goalie that has kept us in it til now. If we can get a few guys to finally step it up, we've got a chance. We've got 60 minutes to make a point. Don't let us down boys, don't let us down.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:48 PM
ontheDB

This may be a bit defeatist, but the Preds have done very little wrong this series.
They've made mistakes (bad PP, little energy in game 1), just like the canucks have, but out of the four games, two were in OT, one was decided by 1 goal and one was one goal and an empty-netter.
Canucks have just been luckier in getting the calls and point shots to go in.

LIke the SJ-Detroit series: it's 3-0 for the red wings which seems like a blow out. But each game has been very close and could've gone either way. And when it's that close (esp in OT), luck has a bigger effect.

While the Caps-Lightning series is just cause the Caps were outplayed...

Old
05-06-2011, 04:16 PM
BubbaOnTheBandwagon

I think the Preds needs just one win, and this will become a whole new series. Chicago almost made it after trailing 0-3, Philadelphia made it last year, and I thinks Nashville can make it too. I just hope Trotz can whip the players to play the game like it's their last, especially 1st and 2nd lines.

Though I haven't been following the Preds long enough to really know how they handle situations like this mentally.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If Smithson is out, do we see O'Reilly in the lineup? I am really really interested to see what he can do.