HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Schoenfeld on NYR plans

Old
05-05-2011, 01:37 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
An elite player is a special player. When I think of an "elite" player,I think of Mark Messier. He was elite player. A player who plays at a high level every year. Plays hurt. "Stays on the field". Hemsky and Burns aren't elite players. People refer to the concussion suffered by Richards as a reason to avoid him. How many injuries have Hemsky and Burns suffered? Lindros was an elite player when the Rangers acquired him but he couldn't stay on the field. Same thing with Bure. You can't compare Hemsky or Burns to those guys.

When Callahan gets his new contract,the Rangers will have $11-12M tied up in Gaborik and Callahan. Where would Hemsky fit? Just how much can be invested in another RWer?
He suffered one injury that was misdiagnosed.

Burns is a top defenseman in this league. If you add him to the current core of defenseman, the team instantly becomes better.

05-05-2011, 01:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Okay, so how many of the folks posting in this thread actually took the time to go to the first post and watch the video of Schoeney's comments?

I ask, because I just went back and watched what he said and IMO people are WAAAAY too hung up on his exact phrasing, especially as regards only going after players with one year left on their contracts. He was talking in generalities in a conversational format about leveraging assets to make a trade - and said something to the effect of "and maybe you get a guy in his last year." He was hardly pronouncing for the record an organizational strategy to focus exclusively on players in the last year of a contract.

(More than likely, he was referring to the elite players who HAVE been available (or at least have been publicly known to be available) over the last couple of years, when we've seen multiple examples of teams trading players on their last years to preempt losing them for nothing. But then, that's just speculation on my part.)

The reality is that if you look at the truly "elite" players in the league, pretty much every single one of them is locked up for at least the next two years. So, either we need to focus more on his comments about "it might take more than one year" (which people have understandably glossed over in focusing on who could make the team better sooner) - or, if they're going to try to take the team to the upper echelon of the league before 2013-2014, perhaps look at making a deal for a guy who's under contract for more than one year. After all, unlike the Rangers (although I disagree with Schoeny on this point), most other teams CAN afford to sink to the bottom of the league to rebuild. So, if you've got a franchise that's just floundering and decides to blow it all up as we did in 2004, you'll get the opportunity to get an elite player for multiple "assets" that would be useful to a rebuild - and I think this latter scenario is just as likely, if not more so, than the idea that the team is going to wait (and hope) to get an elite player in the last year of his last contract in the spring of 2013 or 2014.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Okay, so how many of the folks posting in this thread actually took the time to go to the first post and watch the video of Schoeney's comments?

I ask, because I just went back and watched what he said and IMO people are WAAAAY too hung up on his exact phrasing, especially as regards only going after players with one year left on their contracts. He was talking in generalities in a conversational format about leveraging assets to make a trade - and said something to the effect of "and maybe you get a guy in his last year." He was hardly pronouncing for the record an organizational strategy to focus exclusively on players in the last year of a contract.
completely agree...he is talking in hypothetical scenarios, he isn't hinting toward what they plan to do

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:24 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

So some people include how healthy one is into the definition of elite. I don't agree with that. Injuries may bring down ones level of play, thus they may not be elite anymore. However, there are plenty of players in this league who are capable of being elite; yet at the same time are having a tough time staying healthy.

Absolutely silly to eliminate someones elite status just b/c they can't stay healthy. Only scenario that works in is if the players shows a drop off in his play - Like Lindros. His game totally changed.

Also, Hemsky plays both wings.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
completely agree...he is talking in hypothetical scenarios, he isn't hinting toward what they plan to do
True, it's bla-bla-bla rather than directive. He shouldn't answer the question at all since it was not relevant to Walepack season. Yet it might struck something JS was thinking about anyway, something he was gonna lay out at the team meeting. Very good video. The message is clearly "Time to use assets came". They may, IMO, to trade up at the draft, trade for Richards rights and stuff like that. Richards is still on the last year of his contact since it hasn't expired yet.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
freewheeler

Sign Richards.Sign one of Fleischmann/Gagne/Markov, two if we don't get Richards. Move Drury. Resign Feds. Buyout Wolski. Complete all the other obvious moves (resigning Dubi/Cally/et al). Let youth fight for spots where they arise. Consider one big trade.

Isn't it that simple? Seems simple when I write it.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

go get me Iginla.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

sign richards, trade for Iginla, fill in all the remaining spots with youth.

that gets you 2 priorities in 1 fell swoop. to get kids into the lineup, to get better, to get veteran leadership, and to do what all the elite teams do...have 3 legitimate offensive weapons in the lineup to carry your team.

how do we make it work with the cap? no frikkin idea. but thats why those guys get paid the big bucks.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:50 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

One of the best hands/finesse in the game. Right up there with Pavs

The guys injuries are all a direct result of how he plays the game for a guy his size. He takes everything to the net. He's not a perimeter player. For a guy with his skills he is pretty engaged and gritty.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:53 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

I like Hemsky, but for what it would take to get him, with his constant injuries, it's not worth it. I don't think anyone is arguing his ability, it's his not so durability.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Iggy is old get me Evander Kane!

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:56 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I like Hemsky, but for what it would take to get him, with his constant injuries, it's not worth it. I don't think anyone is arguing his ability, it's his not so durability.
Sorry, but when someone says he's not Elite that's a knock on his ability. Some may believe that. I don't. For a guy with his skillset he doesn't need to play such an gressive game. He's a very gritty guy for his size, which is why he at times has a hard time staying healthy.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Iggy is old get me Evander Kane!
This!

But Dudley isn't Waddell.

Or is he...

Old
05-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
This!

But Dudley isn't Waddell.

Or is he...
Who knows especially with that teams future being so uncertain. I highly doubt he'd move Kane but you never know. Maybe Kane would refuse to play in Winnipeg? Lol.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:14 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
sign richards, trade for Iginla, fill in all the remaining spots with youth.

that gets you 2 priorities in 1 fell swoop. to get kids into the lineup, to get better, to get veteran leadership, and to do what all the elite teams do...have 3 legitimate offensive weapons in the lineup to carry your team.

how do we make it work with the cap? no frikkin idea. but thats why those guys get paid the big bucks.
Sign me up for “old man” 43g/86p Iginla. The guy is a tank, and will produce up to age 40.

Brings leadership, scoring, fighting, grit, durability, clutch gameplay... Absolute no brainer imo.

If July somehow brings us Richards and Iginla i would be ecstatic!!!

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
Sign me up for “old man” 43g/86p Iginla. The guy is a tank, and will produce up to age 40.

Brings leadership, scoring, fighting, grit, durability, clutch gameplay... Absolute no brainer imo.

Iggy will def be the next Recchi.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:18 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post

I would also be an advocate of Iginla, but two things:

1. His cap hit may prevent Richards + Iginla
2. How much would it cost?

This guy is the Calgary Flames. He's been there since 1996, is their captain, franchise leader in points/goals, and is loved within the community. I don't see a situation where he's even available.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Iginla is a fine player nothing against him but if now is the time the Rangers make a big play to grab an elite player I'd rather see them get someone younger. Just my opinion.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I already went through my Iginla phase. As much as I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE it to happen, it never will.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Who would you consider elite?

Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Sedins
Nash
Perry
Getzlaf
Backstrom

None of these guys would be available? I dont think we are targeting guys like these but players a tier downward.

The Booths, the Doans of the league. Very few players have elite status and there valuable to their team.

I would do a RFA+ swap for another RFA.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM
NikC

Quote:
I would also be an advocate of Iginla, but two things:

1. His cap hit may prevent Richards + Iginla
2. How much would it cost?

This guy is the Calgary Flames. He's been there since 1996, is their captain, franchise leader in points/goals, and is loved within the community. I don't see a situation where he's even available.
last July amidst the fury of trade rumors, a "source" from our old board along with twitter were stating that the NYR/Calgary were closing in a deal that included Iginla. I think the sticking point was Dubinsky.

Calgary was believed to be flirting with the idea of a rebuild and may be interested in moving their captain in exchange for a youth movement. There's no doubt that ranger management has to pull off some moves to make getting Richards plus another talent happen.
Iginla, wouldn't be the only guy i'd lke to see added to a Richards acquisition, but he's definitely at the top of my list.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:33 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

I remember that twitter source, it was bogus. Claimed Callahan + Drury for Iggs. The HFBoards source, I don't know, but the twitter one, completely fake.

Old
05-05-2011, 03:37 PM
NikC

it wasn't a source from this board. we were in talks with Calgary, not surprised there was BS involved.

Will it happen? probably not for the reasons you mentioned, but it makes a lot of sense. Calgary has been a trading partner recently...

Old
05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I would love Iginla, but at what cost? And he's most likey 110% unavailable.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
He suffered one injury that was misdiagnosed.

Burns is a top defenseman in this league. If you add him to the current core of defenseman, the team instantly becomes better.
Burns has suffered 2 concussions.

Burns is a wildly inconsistent defenseman which is a major why Minnesota will probably look to move him for a top forward.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote