HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-05-2011, 10:08 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
I'm pretty surprised that Rangers fans don't have more respect for Kovalev. He was a huge part of their last cup and played big for them in the playoffs when the team sucked after the cup. Hes not the player he once was not doubt and I wouldn't sign him. Then again Jagr isn't that great anymore either I don't think and wouldn't really make the team that much better at this point in his career. On top of that he would cost a lot more money. I'm just pointing it out. It's not like Kovalev can't still carry the puck into the zone and QB the PP. That is one thing he could probably still do at his age and he could do it for a lot cheaper.
no one respects Kovalev anymore. He's a joke. The guy is one of the laziest people in the game. He may as well wear a t-shirt that says I'm here for the paycheck.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:09 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravey94 View Post
I never really noticed until now how bad it was to axe Jagr for Naslund.
it wasn't as if Sather said "forget Jagr...I noticed Naslund is an UFA."

Old
05-05-2011, 10:12 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Sather has to give him a shot. I'd easily give him 4.5-6 million if he shows that he still has it in him.
That's a lucrative deal, and why does Sather have to give him a shot? Even if we stand pat, I'd take a top 6 without Jagr present day...Dubinsky, Stepan, Callahan, Gaborik, Anisimov, Prospal

Old
05-05-2011, 10:13 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
it's not even about Sather "permanently burning a bridge," I just don't see a roll with any NHL team in Jagr's future. He's gotten pretty cozy in the KHL and something tells me he enjoys home Russia and being close to home much more than he enjoys the U.S.
I agree. However, he's not exactly close to home. Closer.

05-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
I'm pretty surprised that Rangers fans don't have more respect for Kovalev. He was a huge part of their last cup and played big for them in the playoffs when the team sucked after the cup. Hes not the player he once was not doubt and I wouldn't sign him. Then again Jagr isn't that great anymore either I don't think and wouldn't really make the team that much better at this point in his career. On top of that he would cost a lot more money. I'm just pointing it out. It's not like Kovalev can't still carry the puck into the zone and QB the PP. That is one thing he could probably still do at his age and he could do it for a lot cheaper.
Kovalev and Jagr shouldn't even be in the same sentence, let alone with the word "comparable."

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I don't think Jagr is the type of player that fits on any team, especially at this age. He wasn't even a good fit on the Rangers in his last year here. How quickly some forget.
He wasn't a good fit...some of your expectations have become ridiculous. Please enlighten us what his numbers were that season which "he wasn't a good fit"

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
He wasn't a good fit...some of your expectations have become ridiculous. Please enlighten us what his numbers were that season which "he wasn't a good fit"
Anyone who watched that season and the playoffs saw that Jagr pretty much was that team.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Anyone who watched that season and the playoffs saw that Jagr pretty much was that team.
Exactly!!

He scored 71 regular seasons points (which led the team) and then scored 15 Pts in 10 games (led the playoffs in PPG).

I think that bringing both Drury and Gomez at the time was a mistake. I think if Nylander had stayed and if the Rangers had only picked up Drury as a second or third line option, I think Jagr would have easily banked on his bonuses and he would have been a Ranger in 2008-09.

Puckface I respect your opinion but I'm trying to explain one thing about Jagr.

His 71 Pts had more to do with him not being happy that Drury and Gomez were taking up cap space and not being as good as they were billed, losing his centerman in Nylander and less to do with the fact that he was tired or getting older.

Jagr used the "saving myself for the playoffs" as an excuse.

Imagine he were to admit that his mental depression was affecting his game, everyone would have called him a quitter.

It wasn't really about saving himself. He's a fitness freak and his stamina is legendary and I think he could have easily had 85-100 Pts in 2007-08 and still scored 15 Pts in 10 games in the playoffs.

So many people think that Jagr is happy staying in Russia but he has said many times that no matter what happened in the KHL this past season, it was going to be his last and that is why he resigned at the time for one year and not a multiple contract.

I think Jagr burns to play a bit more in the NHL, maybe he feels he has a lot left in him. He has seen how Recchi, Selanne and Lidstrom are still elite players at their age and knows that he can do it to?

I say bring Jagr back in, pair him with Dubinksy (they had great chemistry together in 2007-08) and give him the C, he would do darn better job than Drury has done since Jagr left.

Last edited by livewell68: 05-05-2011 at 11:23 AM.
livewell68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
livewell68

Quote:
I don't think it is. No doubt Jagr is a greater and more consistent player, but Kovalev has had some really good years and has comparable player stats. They player a similiar style of game.
Comparable player stats?

Kovalev's career high in points is 96 (which he did once).

Jagr has won 5 Art Ross trophies, has scored 50 multiple times, holds numerous New York Rangers scoring records, has won a Hart and won 3 Pearsons.

How does Kovalev even come close?

Jagr is arguably among the 3 best European players of all time along with Hasek and Lisdstrom while Kovalev isn't even among the 10 best Russian players.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Comparable player stats?

Kovalev's career high in points is 96 (which he did once).

Jagr has won 5 Art Ross trophies, has scored 50 multiple times, holds numerous New York Rangers scoring records, has won a Hart and won 3 Pearsons.

How does Kovalev even come close?

Jagr is arguably among the 3 best European players of all time along with Hasek and Lisdstrom while Kovalev isn't even among the 10 best Russian players.
I don't really understand the point. I never said Kovalev is better than Jagr or equal to Jagr. What I said is they play a similiar game and Kovalev would be a much cheaper price tag if you are going to take a chance on a guy who is near the end of their career.

As for the effort level issue Kovy is getting older so I think his lack of mobility is sometimes seen as lack of effort. He isn't as mobile as he once was. Look at Messier near the end of his career. He just didn't skate as well as he once did. That doesn't mean he couldn't be effective at certain roles.

All this is moot as I don't think the Rangers should take either of them as they are both too old.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
I don't really understand the point. I never said Kovalev is better than Jagr or equal to Jagr. What I said is they play a similiar game and Kovalev would be a much cheaper price tag if you are going to take a chance on a guy who is near the end of their career.

As for the effort level issue Kovy is getting older so I think his lack of mobility is sometimes seen as lack of effort. He isn't as mobile as he once was. Look at Messier near the end of his career. He just didn't skate as well as he once did. That doesn't mean he couldn't be effective at certain roles.

All this is moot as I don't think the Rangers should take either of them as they are both too old.
Kovalev's effort level has always been in question. And the reason people have been harping on your quote is because you say they have "comparable" stats, which is false.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Kovalev's effort level has always been in question. And the reason people have been harping on your quote is because you say they have "comparable" stats, which is false.
If I said comparable I appologize. What I thought I said was Kovalev has had Jagr like seasons two times in his career and has similiar playoff points per game. A lot of that playoff points per game came when he was a young Ranger.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
If I said comparable I appologize. What I thought I said was Kovalev has had Jagr like seasons two times in his career and has similiar playoff points per game. A lot of that playoff points per game came when he was a young Ranger.
See, this is where you are still comparing them. They are in different realms.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:53 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
You also said they play a "similar game" which couldnt be further from the truth.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Jagr's playoff points per game is top 10 all-time and he has played over 100 games.

Kovalev's PPG in the playoffs is under 1.

Kovalev's two best seasons is when he had 95 Pts and 84.

Jagr has had 7 seasons in which he scored 95 Pts or more including 2 with the Rangers.

Not even comparable.

Last edited by livewell68: 05-05-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old
05-05-2011, 03:48 PM
3Four3

Quote:
That's a lucrative deal, and why does Sather have to give him a shot? Even if we stand pat, I'd take a top 6 without Jagr present day...Dubinsky, Stepan, Callahan, Gaborik, Anisimov, Prospal
You're okay with Prospal coming back but you're not okay with this organization trying to see if he still has something to offer?

We gave Fedotenko a shot and he did "splendid" come playoff time. "Oh, but he was 'awesome in the regular season!" 25 points?!

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
You're okay with Prospal coming back but you're not okay with this organization trying to see if he still has something to offer?

We gave Fedotenko a shot and he did "splendid" come playoff time. "Oh, but he was 'awesome in the regular season!" 25 points?!
Feds was good all year. Jagr would be fine on a deal like Prospals, but i can't see him ever taking that.

I also don't want prospal back no matter what so I'm a little biased on the situation.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
livewell68

Quote:

Exactly!

Those that complain about Jagr's time here, let them find any Ranger player that had a similar 3 year run to Jagr.

The only players in recent time that were as dominant as Jagr were Messier and Leetch and they are only viewed in higher regards because they were able to win the Cup that ended the drought.

I know Jagr was here for 3 years and never won a Cup, but he helped changed the entire environment of the team, they went from being complete laughing stocks with overpaid, over the hill players to becoming a competitive, exciting team.

Jagr and Lundqvist were at the center of this rejuvenation.

Messier was more valuable overall to the team and he did win a Cup, but Jagr dominated like no other Ranger ever has and that I am confident about.

Why not give him a shot, how bad can it be? He couldn't do any worse than the players right now.

Last edited by livewell68: 05-05-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The fact is it's a gamble to resign Jagr after playing 3 years in Russia. He also probably does not want to come back.

Like I said though, I would not be upset if we did.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:11 PM
NYROrtsFan

Jagr quickly became my favorite player... That time period where he basically changed the team from a laughing stock to something entertaining was good. Renney, Jagr, and Henrik all get credit for that.

Plus watching guys like Marty Straka and Nylander was great too.

If we just had some secondary scoring...

Jagr will always have a place on my team. Even now. His strength on the puck is something that doesn't go away as quickly as other physical traits.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:12 PM
3Four3

I would also like to add that his wristshot has more velocity than some of our player's slapshots.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
livewell68

Quote:
I would also like to add that his wristshot has more velocity than some of our player's slapshots.
Who can forget 2005-06 and the countless "It's a powerplay goal by Jaromir Jagr" commentary.

That season, Jagr's wrist shot (for one season at least) was probably one of the greatest wrist shots of all time, better than Sakic.

I know I have a big liking for him, but just remembering the 2005-06 season gives me shivers.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:30 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Who can forget 2005-06 and the countless "It's a powerplay goal by Jaromir Jagr" commentary.

That season, Jagr's wrist shot (for one season at least) was probably one of the greatest wrist shots of all time, better than Sakic.

I know I have a big liking for him, but just remembering the 2005-06 season gives me shivers.
I remember them quite vividly. Or how many times he'd move with the puck, having players on him trying to get him off the puck, and he would be looking away from the goalie all that time, when all of a sudden he'd unleash a wrister that found it's way into the net.

Some of our players are zeroing in on the goalie from up close...and they still either miff the shot or it doesn't count as a shot on goal.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Jagr quickly became my favorite player... That time period where he basically changed the team from a laughing stock to something entertaining was good. Renney, Jagr, and Henrik all get credit for that.

Plus watching guys like Marty Straka and Nylander was great too.

If we just had some secondary scoring...

Jagr will always have a place on my team. Even now. His strength on the puck is something that doesn't go away as quickly as other physical traits.
Great post.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:47 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote: