HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2011, 02:55 PM
  #101
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The bandwagon will thin out, especially if they stick to a system that relies so much on luck and individualism to score goals.

13/40 are beasts but Detroit's drafting in the past decade is pretty average.
Average when you draft where the Wings are forced to is still amazing.

The bandwagon will thin out? Not for a while. When AO goes, yes, but that'll be a while yet.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:04 PM
  #102
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 9,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
It's pretty simple: a very high percentage of 1st's tend to make it. Failure got us a ton of 1st's.

What rounds were Datsyuk (a much better player than AO) and Zetterberg taken at?

How many Cups do the Wings have since 1991, and how many trips to the SCF's?
Seriously man just go to hockeyDB and compare drafting this past decade.

Ok Datsyuk better than AO, lol.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:06 PM
  #103
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
McPhee has Leonsis eating out of his hand. So I'd say no, he won't get the firing he's deserved for awhile.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:08 PM
  #104
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Any fairly competant manager can say "we're going to reevalutate everything from top to bottom. This is unacceptable from the players and the coaching staff and we're not going to sit idle and allow this atmosphere of underacheiving continue".
youre getting worked up over words....and im willing to bet had he said those things you would be worked up over whether you think he will follow through.

I cant help but feel you would not have been happy with anything short of..."we just fired BB and are looking to make roster moves by getting rid of player X and Y"

They just lost, last night......im ok that they arent decided on what to do next yet...they havent even done exit interviews yet

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:09 PM
  #105
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Seriously man just go to hockeyDB and compare drafting this past decade.

Ok Datsyuk better than AO, lol.
You and I have been down this road before.

What did you say last time... something like:

"Detroit's drafting is overrated because they're only successful 90% of the time"

C'Mon guy... take the blinders off.

As Dogs noted... we're approaching 14 years.

ENOUGH!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
  #106
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
youre getting worked up over words....and im willing to bet had he said those things you would be worked up over whether you think he will follow through.

I cant help but feel you would not have been happy with anything short of..."we just fired BB and are looking to make roster moves by getting rid of player X and Y"

They just lost, last night......im ok that they arent decided on what to do next yet...they havent even done exit interviews yet
All we have is their word to go by right? So yes, I'm worked up over the apparent acceptance by McPhee that nothing is wrong. And if you've followed anything I've posted over the years, i've never been a Bruce basher. I've wanted him to succeed because that would mean a Cup.

How many years of embarrassing flameouts is enough? Honestly?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:11 PM
  #107
Stewie G
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am getting fearful George doesn't plan on re-evaluating anything except for his FA's and the waiver wire, standard off season stuff. This is all going to plan. A long slow draft heavy rebuild, capped by Sarge hoisting the cup in 15 16 17... We do not deviate from the plan.

The part they werent expecting and are struggling to deal with, getting swept. And embarrassed by our divisional rival and a team a bit behind us from a rebuild perspective. We are reeling. Anything George says now has little substance, but it may have been reassuring to the fan to hear a full review is in order.
I'm pretty sure that is the exact thing they said after last year's flameout. I was one of those willing to give BB another shot but he failed. The same problems as last year.

I don't dislike GMGM's plan. I think with a better coach this team could have gone much further, both this year and in the last couple years.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
  #108
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Seriously man just go to hockeyDB and compare drafting this past decade.

Ok Datsyuk better than AO, lol.
What do you expect from someone who's a much bigger Red Wings fan than he is a Caps fan?

And just for reference, not a single one of the Red Wings last 4 1st rounders has played a full season's worth of games in the NHL.

In fact, in the last 5 drafts, Detroit has drafted 1 player that's broken the 82 game mark (Mathias) and he's now in Florida.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:29 PM
  #109
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
It's pretty simple: a very high percentage of 1st's tend to make it. Failure got us a ton of 1st's.

What rounds were Datsyuk (a much better player than AO) and Zetterberg taken at?

How many Cups do the Wings have since 1991, and how many trips to the SCF's?
define "make it" and "very high percentage"

I think you would be surprised how many 1st round picks never even touch NHL ice, much less "make it"

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:29 PM
  #110
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
What do you expect from someone who's a much bigger Red Wings fan than he is a Caps fan?

And just for reference, not a single one of the Red Wings last 4 1st rounders has played a full season's worth of games in the NHL.

In fact, in the last 5 drafts, Detroit has drafted 1 player that's broken the 82 game mark (Mathias) and he's now in Florida.
Hey, I was born & raised in Detroit. I make no apologies for being loyal to my hometown. If I wasn't, what kinda guy would I be?

But I am also a Caps fan... and I'd like the team to do equally as well.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:32 PM
  #111
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
All we have is their word to go by right? So yes, I'm worked up over the apparent acceptance by McPhee that nothing is wrong. And if you've followed anything I've posted over the years, i've never been a Bruce basher. I've wanted him to succeed because that would mean a Cup.

How many years of embarrassing flameouts is enough? Honestly?
Iven been there for every flameout too...I know, it sucks

still....you seem upset that he hasnt laid out a plan going forward when its less than 24 hours after they are ousted......again, he hasnt even done exit interviews yet.

Im not calling you a basher or anything....just take a deep breathe. We can go nuts after they do nothing....

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
  #112
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 9,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
What do you expect from someone who's a much bigger Red Wings fan than he is a Caps fan?

And just for reference, not a single one of the Red Wings last 4 1st rounders has played a full season's worth of games in the NHL.

In fact, in the last 5 drafts, Detroit has drafted 1 player that's broken the 82 game mark (Mathias) and he's now in Florida.
I should just go back and find the defacto discussion we had here that should have put all that to rest but I'm lazy.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
  #113
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
define "make it" and "very high percentage"

I think you would be surprised how many 1st round picks never even touch NHL ice, much less "make it"
Read my 1st post on when we discussed this on ESPN... although from memory... the figures are there (do the math yourself). At the time I posted it, I even listed the player's names.

Surprised?

Nope!

As noted... fewer than 50% made it... so yes, that's is a lot who didn't.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
  #114
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I should just go back and find the defacto discussion we had here that should have put all that to rest but I'm lazy.
Guy,

You picked out "1" obscure 5th or 6th rounder, and wanted to know why, if their drafting was so great, why hadn't he "made it."

I pointed out the ratio... and also another important point: the guy in question was still in the system, and might still have made it.

EDIT: for the sake of honesty, I think you were proven right. The guy didn't make it.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:46 PM
  #115
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,446
vCash: 500
the complete review is SOP. they do a complete review more than once a year. every year. we have no idea if there is a tangible reason why backstrom was so bad this season. if there was a tangible reason, we dont know what it is. was it an injury? was it mental/confidence? was it nutritional/fitness oriented? was it party hardy oriented? was his mother ill with something life threatening? unless you know that answer to that question, you cant come close to making an educated analysis as to what the organEYEzation needs to do about the problem or the player.

if the rock reliable backstrom is fully expected to return next season because they known reason for his off season will have passed, you treat the situation one way. if the problem can not be addressed and my continue to linger, then other things need to be considered.

i know this much. backstrom was not himself and it was obvious. arnott appeared to be hurt to a level that it effected his ice time and his availability. that left a lot riding on the rookie.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
  #116
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe
 
Trends Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I'd deal Semin and Backstrom. I'd also go out and for once, get a decent goaltender. Why Washington did not pay the price for Roloson is enough reason, in my opinion to fire McPhee.
Good grief, don't come into other teams boards talking **** and giving Canucks fans a bad name. Washington has not 1, not 2 but 3(!!!!) good young goalies in their system. No need to give up tangible assets to get a 41 year old UFA, no matter how good he is. You run with what you got and hope one of those 3 guys will be your star. Caps didn't lose because of bad goaltending, they lost because Tampa made them pay for every single mistake they made.

Also, trade Backstrom? Serious? Are you high? He had an off year and an off playoffs but we are talking about a 23 year old who has 100 point season under his belt and 28 points in 30 playoff games before this year. He is hardly the problem and there is no reason to trade him. No matter what you deal him for the return will not be worth it. Period. Semin, maybe you deal him but Backstrom? Not a chance in hell.

Please, don't take this morons opinion as the voice of Canucks fans.

GMGM is probably on a short leash but IMO he needs to fire BB and bring in the right guy to coach this team finally.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
  #117
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,918
vCash: 500
Something flying under the radar is the enormous financial gains made by the team in the last 4 seasons. The Caps sell out now, despite raising ticket prices for 3 or 4 straight years. Whenever they renegotiate the TV contract that's going to go up too, because ratings are way up. And if Ted wants to make his own local sports channel, he has a winner to build and market around.

All of these things mean money in Ted's pocket, and they raise the value of the franchise, which means future $ as well. Maybe Dick Patrick gets some of that credit, but most of it flows from putting a winning team on the ice, and that's what GMGM has done.

I'm sure Ted is appreciative.

Sorry if this sucks, I wrote it on my Droid.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:56 PM
  #118
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Light Mosquito View Post
Good grief, don't come into other teams boards talking **** and giving Canucks fans a bad name. Washington has not 1, not 2 but 3(!!!!) good young goalies in their system. No need to give up tangible assets to get a 41 year old UFA, no matter how good he is. You run with what you got and hope one of those 3 guys will be your star. Caps didn't lose because of bad goaltending, they lost because Tampa made them pay for every single mistake they made.

Also, trade Backstrom? Serious? Are you high? He had an off year and an off playoffs but we are talking about a 23 year old who has 100 point season under his belt and 28 points in 30 playoff games before this year. He is hardly the problem and there is no reason to trade him. No matter what you deal him for the return will not be worth it. Period. Semin, maybe you deal him but Backstrom? Not a chance in hell.

Please, don't take this morons opinion as the voice of Canucks fans.

GMGM is probably on a short leash but IMO he needs to fire BB and bring in the right guy to coach this team finally.

I hope the board realizes that we could have gotten the Coyote's Bryzgolov for nothing, but passed (the Yotes then grabbed him).

Same thing with Irbe (Carolina grabbed him), I recall.

And I am sorry to bring this up... but if we had decent backups for Kolzig other than Billington types, maybe Kolzig wouldn't have burned out like he did from being overplayed?

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:58 PM
  #119
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Something flying under the radar is the enormous financial gains made by the team in the last 4 seasons. The Caps sell out now, despite raising ticket prices for 3 or 4 straight years. Whenever they renegotiate the TV contract that's going to go up too, because ratings are way up. And if Ted wants to make his own local sports channel, he has a winner to build and market around.

All of these things mean money in Ted's pocket, and they raise the value of the franchise, which means future $ as well. Maybe Dick Patrick gets some of that credit, but most of it flows from putting a winning team on the ice, and that's what GMGM has done.

I'm sure Ted is appreciative.

Sorry if this sucks, I wrote it on my Droid.
Wish I'd said that.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
  #120
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
You and I have been down this road before.

What did you say last time... something like:

"Detroit's drafting is overrated because they're only successful 90% of the time"

C'Mon guy... take the blinders off.

As Dogs noted... we're approaching 14 years.

ENOUGH!
Detroit made two great picks in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Saying their drafting has been amazing based on those two picks is like saying it's been horrible based on having picked two busts in the first round. Their drafting has been shown to be average at best overall. The Capitals have been better. You also made some comment about picking where they do. The Capitals have had late picks in the last few years and have picked several players who are already impact players in the NHL (Carlson, Johansson) and several others who appear to be on their way.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:42 PM
  #121
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Oh well!

Looks like the adage is true: the more things change... the more they stay the same.

More of BB... more of GMGM.

Later!

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:50 PM
  #122
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Detroit made two great picks in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Saying their drafting has been amazing based on those two picks is like saying it's been horrible based on having picked two busts in the first round. Their drafting has been shown to be average at best overall. The Capitals have been better. You also made some comment about picking where they do. The Capitals have had late picks in the last few years and have picked several players who are already impact players in the NHL (Carlson, Johansson) and several others who appear to be on their way.


I supposed Lidstom, Holmstrom, Franzen, Kronwall, Osgood, Howard, Fillupla, Helm.... just to name a few, are bad draft choices?????

FYI: A few of those players have 4 Stanley Cup rings.


Later.... this is just getting dumber and dumber.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
  #123
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,124
vCash: 500
The whole "Ted just cares about money in his pocket" thing has no basis whatsoever. In case anyone cares to notice, he has taken the same approach with the Wizards, who are not yet making him a crapload of money. He really believes in stability, and frankly I am thankful for that (especially after seeing what Snyder has done to the Skins). I would much rather have a team that is a perpetual contender than one that wins the cup one year and then pulls a Carolina or Tampa Bay for the next 5 or 6. This team will win a SC, it's just a matter of time. While everyone knows I want BB gone, I will not go ballistic if they keep him. I'd be much more upset if they fired Boudreau and broke apart the team, or spent a fortune putting all their eggs in one basket.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:09 PM
  #124
kellymiller
Registered User
 
kellymiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Low-lights:


BB:

- Put OV in the box on a 4-on-4 situation in the playoffs.
- Make literally zero changes to an inability to break the trap line in 4 games. "Figure it out boys." "We're better than them," etc.
- Line-matching all over the place. We had Erskine covering Marty half of game three.


GMGM:
- Zero cups, 17 years. Only time he even sniffed is when Olie stood on his head for about a month straight, then got rocked by Detroit.
- Almost literally the entire hockey world has said BB has been out-coached by Bylsma on down the line in consecutive playoff match-ups, does nothing
- Watched his coach perform so badly that intermission analyst's had to mention that he was getting "thoroughly out-coached." Thinks said coach rulez
- Got handed the second best player perhaps of all time via being terrible, still can't get out of the second round
- Doesn't understand the line matching differential and subsequent unique strategy of playoff hockey via his shockingly embarrassing quotes today. One has to recall Barry Melrose's words of wisdom when asked if the game had passed him by.
- Thinks changing coaches doesn't help anything based on the fact that when he historically changes coaches nothing gets better (even that isn't necessarily the case. A clueless breathe of fresh air can help a team. See: Boudreau, Bruce). For competent organizations- see, the one who just swept you- make changes, things can happen.


I want to put my faith in Teddy's hockey sense, but Teddy thought paying a 90 year old Jagr 300 million a year was brilliant.

Blue Jackets fan + Caps fan= I should really just stop watching hockey.

kellymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
  #125
dpj0122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Go ahead, name 3 guys that have drafted better in the last decade.
Well, given that he's also responsible for bringing in the guys that can't win in the playoffs, his "draft" record ain't really worth crap is it?

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.