HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
Through December 1, 2012 (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Quote:
2012 Monthly Stakes Racing Calendar

Quote:
Horse Racing Sites

Quote:
Newspapers and Sources

Quote:
2012 Breeders' Cup -- November 2 and 3, 2012
  • Where: Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California.
  • When: Friday, November 2 and Saturday, November 3, 2012.
  • What: Fifteen (15) total races including six (6) on Friday and nine (9) on Saturday including the Breeders' Cup Classic. Additional races appear on each card.
  • Television: HRTV and NBC Sports are expected to televise all races except the Classic which will air on NBC-TV.
  • Television Times: (approx.) HRTV and NBC Sports: Friday 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm ET and Saturday 3:30 pm – 8:00 pm ET. NBC-TV: Saturday 8:00 pm – 9:00 pm ET.
  • October 31, 2012 update including times and events: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-nbc-primetime

http://horseracing.about.com/od/bree...up-preview.htm

Quote:
Friday November 2
•Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint; 6 furlongs; 2 Year Olds $500,000; post time 4:06pm
•Breeders' Cup Marathon (G2); 1 3/4 miles; 3 Year Olds & Up; $500,000; post time 4:48pm
•Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf (G1); 1 mile (Turf); 2 Year Old Fillies; $1 Million; post time 5:28pm
•Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (G1); 1 1/4 miles (Turf); 3 Year Olds & Up Fillies & Mares; $2 Million; post time 6:08pm
•Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1); 1 1/16 miles; 2 Year Old Fillies; $2 Million; post time 6:48pm
•Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (G1); 1 1/8 miles; 3 Year Olds & Up; Fillies & Mares; $2 Million; post time 7:30pm

Saturday November 3
•Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf (G1); 1 Mile (Turf); 2 Year Olds; $1 Million; post time 2:50pm
•Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (G1); 7 furlongs; 3 Year Olds & Up; Fillies & Mares; $1 Million; post time 3:35pm
•Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (G1); 1 Mile; 3 Year Olds & Up; $1 Million; post time 4:14pm
•Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (G1); 6 1/2 Furlongs (Turf); 3 Year Olds & Up; $1 Million; post time 4:57pm
•Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile (G1); 1 1/16 miles; 2 Year Old Colts & Geldings; $2 Million; post time 5:36pm
•Breeders' Cup Turf (G1); 1 1/2 miles (Turf); 3 Year Olds & Up; $3 Million; post time 6:18pm
•Xpressbet Breeders' Cup Sprint (G1); 6 Furlongs; 3 Year Olds & Up; $1.5 Million; post time 6:58pm
•Breeders' Cup Mile (G1); 1 mile (Turf); 3 Year Olds & Up; $2 Million; post time 7:40pm
•Breeders' Cup Classic (G1); 1 1/4 miles; 3 Year Olds & Up; $5 Million; post time 8:30pm

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-02-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Valrico Gold

vCash: 500
Great stuff......and all excellent races.

I consider this to be the most dominant Derby performance of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6PacUirYuQ

It'll be a long time for another Barbaro to come around.

Last edited by Valrico Gold: 05-02-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valrico Gold View Post
Great stuff......and all excellent races.

I consider this to be the most dominant Derby performance of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6PacUirYuQ

It'll be a long time for another Barbaro to come around.

That's better.

Old
05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Valrico Gold

2011 Kentucky Derby

OK guys.

What do you think?

Of the likely runners, without (obviously) post postition as a factor.
We have:

Uncle Mo........the beautiful, imposing 2yr old champ has not had a smooth 3yr old campaign. Does he bounce back to form?

Dialed In......has the running style, and the right connections to win this. But has only 4 races under his belt, and will be in a wild situation that requires experience and maturity.

Archarcharch....has improved with the added distance, and looks set up to run well. Comes from a weak rider/trainer connection in a race where nerves of steel are a prerequisite.

Comma To The Top....will be on or with the leaders. Distance a big question.

Toby's Corner.....Surprised the racing world with his impressive Wood victory. He is very well set up to fire his best shot. Can Eddie Castro guide him to the wire first?

Pants On Fire.....he has plenty of foundation with 4 route races this year. He rated kindly for Napravnik in the LaDerby and should be ready to rumble.

Midnight Interlude....he shocked the racing world with his SA Derby victory, while coming off of a maiden win. Baffert is a wizard, but this guy lacks experience.

Soldat....has plenty of foundation. He's quietly coming up to the race and will need to revert back to his off the pace style to win this IMO. Not out of it.

Brilliant Speed......was well prepped off a two month layoff to win the Bluegrass. Good connections, but has not performed well on dirt to this point.

Master Of Hounds....is bred for dirt, and showed his liking for it with an impressive race against older in Dubai. He comes from well respected connections and should be watched this week.

Nehro....has the running style to win this race. But has run twice in the last 5 weeks and lacks experience to an extent.

Mucho Macho Man.....has taken his time in preparing for this. Should be wound tight and ready to roll. The distance is the only question for him.

Santiva........is a dark horse. Throw out the Bluegrass. His dirt efforts make him a contender here. He also has a win over the track.

Shackleford....won't get much respect. He's run two bang-up races going 1 1/8 miles, is well prepared, and will be close to the pace.

There you have it. No clear heavy favorite.

Old
05-02-2011, 09:58 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ I figured one source for all the links would be helpful.

Barbaro was fantastic, just a brilliant animal. Great odds in that Derby race. He just blitzed the field, reminded me a bit of Point Given or even Afleet Alex in their Belmont Stakes' wins. I never felt the buzz around Sweetnorthernsaint, was never a fan.

Twice the Appeal needs mention, too, on your list. Maybe Animal Kingdom and Dominguez's mount. No clear cut favorite for this Derby is true.

Dialed In, the Leparoux/Zito connection, looks appealing. Uncle Mo can't be forgotten because of one loss after four wins. Archarcharch cannot be overlooked and is gaining my interest. Santiva disappointed after the last race, I thought he was primed for the Bluegrass but maybe switching from Leparoux back to Bridgmohan will be comforting and as you said: same track. Can Borel work magic again? We'll have to wait for the posts with all this.

Check out this:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...xHOzgYopSUfu4K

Quote:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- The slowest bunch of horses in 20 years are set to go in the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, turning America's greatest horse race into a bettor's dream or, depending on your luck, nightmare.

The fastest two horses going in are Archarcharch, the Arkansas Derby winner, and Nehro, who finished a neck behind him. Both received a humble Beyer speed figure of 98.

No Derby field in my records ever sent a herd of 20 candidates to the gate with a top figure below 100.

Compare: Big Brown went in 2008 with a 106 Beyer off his Florida Derby rout. Street Sense had a 102, Barbaro 103, Smarty Jones 107, Funny Cide 110, War Emblem 112, etc.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-03-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old
05-03-2011, 08:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
R Heat Lightning is out of the Kentucky Oaks. She would have been the favorite

Old
05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

RT @ChristinaTVG: Toby's Corner is out of the Derby. Tough for the connections.
#TVGDerby

Old
05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ I figured one source for all the links would be helpful.

Barbaro was fantastic, just a brilliant animal. Great odds in that Derby race. He just blitzed the field, reminded me a bit of Point Given or even Afleet Alex in their Belmont Stakes' wins. I never felt the buzz around Sweetnorthernsaint, was never a fan.

Twice the Appeal needs mention, too, on your list. Maybe Animal Kingdom and Dominguez's mount. No clear cut favorite for this Derby is true.

Dialed In, the Leparoux/Zito connection, looks appealing. Uncle Mo can't be forgotten because of one loss after four wins. Archarcharch cannot be overlooked and is gaining my interest. Santiva disappointed after the last race, I thought he was primed for the Bluegrass but maybe switching from Leparoux back to Bridgmohan will be comforting and as you said: same track. Can Borel work magic again? We'll have to wait for the posts with all this.

Check out this:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/horse...xHOzgYopSUfu4K
Maybe you're right. I just have a problem backing any Valid Appeals for anything past 7 furlongs. I also discount that Sunland Derby, although this guy rated nicely going 1 1/8 miles and should be well prepared with 5 weeks off.

Also, Animal Kingdom has much to prove.

Toby's Corner is an unfortuate loss. I thought he was a player in the race.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I definitely liked Toby's Corner to be a factor.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The posts for the Oaks:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/rac...s-preview.aspx

Quote:
The full field from the rail out with post position, jockey, and morning-line odds follows: Joyful Victory, Mike Smith, 5-to-2; Lilacs and Lace, Javier Castellano, 12-to-1; Summer Soiree, Gabriel Saez, 5-to-1; Kathmanblu, Julien Leparoux, 4-to-1; Suave Voir Faire, Miguel Mena, 50-to-1; Zazu, Joel Rosario, 4-to-1; Her Smile, Garrett Gomez, 20-to-1; Bouquet Booth, Robby Albarado, 20-to-1; Daisy Devine, James Graham, 20-to-1; Street Storm, Shaun Bridgmohan, 50-to-1; Holy Heavens, Kent Desormeaux, 50-to-1; Plum Pretty, Martin Garcia, 5-to-1; St. John’s River, Rosie Napravnik, 30-to-1.
  • Joyful Victory, Mike Smith, 5-to-2;
  • Lilacs and Lace, Javier Castellano, 12-to-1;
  • Summer Soiree, Gabriel Saez, 5-to-1;
  • Kathmanblu, Julien Leparoux, 4-to-1;
  • Suave Voir Faire, Miguel Mena, 50-to-1;
  • Zazu, Joel Rosario, 4-to-1;
  • Her Smile, Garrett Gomez, 20-to-1;
  • Bouquet Booth, Robby Albarado, 20-to-1;
  • Daisy Devine, James Graham, 20-to-1;
  • Street Storm, Shaun Bridgmohan, 50-to-1;
  • Holy Heavens, Kent Desormeaux, 50-to-1;
  • Plum Pretty, Martin Garcia, 5-to-1;
  • St. John’s River, Rosie Napravnik, 30-to-1.

Also, the latest Derby odds as listed in the DRF:

http://www.drf.com/news/2011-kentucky-derby-contenders

2011 KENTUCKY DERBY ODDS (as of May 3, 2011 -- UPDATED BELOW)
HorseJockey Trainer Watchmaker Odds
Animal Kingdom R. Albardo H. G. Motion 25-1
Archarcharch J. Court W. Fires 10-1
Brilliant Speed J. Rosario T. Albertrani 25-1
Comma to the Top P. Valenzuela P. Miller 30-1
Decisive Moment K. Clark J. Arias 60-1
Derby Kitten J. Castellano M. Maker N/A
Dialed In J. Leparoux N. Zito 4-1
Master of Hounds G. Gomez A. O'Brien 20-1
Midnight Interlude V. Espinoza B. Baffert 12-1
Mucho Macho Man R. Maragh K. Ritvo 15-1
Nehro C. Nakatani S. Asmussen 8-1
Pants On Fire A. Napravnik K. Breen 20-1
Santiva S. Bridgmohan E. Kenneally 40-1
Shackleford J. Castanon D. Romans 30-1
Soldat A. Garcia K. McLaughlin 20-1
Stay Thirsty R. Dominguez T. Pletcher 40-1
Twice the Appeal C. Borel J. Bonde 60-1
Twinspired M. SmithM. Maker 40-1
Uncle Mo J. Velazquez T. Pletcher 6-1
Watch Me Go R. Bejarano K. O'Connell 60-1

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-04-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old
05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Archarcharch gets the #1. Not a good spot. It could be Lookin' at Lucky all over again.

Dialed In gets #8. Good place.

Uncle Mo at #18, that is a helluva lot of traffic. He needs a big effort.

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-der...-8-uncle-mo-18

Updated odds include the post positions:

137th Kentucky Derby
  • 1. Archarcharch, J. Court, 10-1
  • 2. Brilliant Speed, J. Rosario, 30-1
  • 3. Twice the Appeal, C. Borel, 20-1
  • 4. Stay Thirsty, R. Dominguez, 20-1
  • 5. Decisive Moment, K. Clark, 30-1
  • 6. Comma To The Top, P. Valenzuela, 30-1
  • 7. Pants On Fire, R. Napravnik, 20-1
  • 8. Dialed In, J. Leparoux, 4-1
  • 9. Derby Kitten, J. Castellano, 30-1
  • 10. Twinspired, M. Smith, 30-1
  • 11. Master of Hounds, G. Gomez, 30-1
  • 12. Santiva, S. Bridgmohan, 30-1
  • 13. Mucho Macho Man, R. Maragh, 12-1
  • 14. Shackleford, J. Castanon, 12-1
  • 15. Midnight Interlude, V. Espinoza, 10-1
  • 16. Animal Kingdom, R. Albarado, 30-1
  • 17. Soldat, A. Garcia, 12-1
  • 18. Uncle Mo, J. Velazquez, 9-2
  • 19. Nehro, C. Nakatani, 6-1
  • 20. Watch Me Go, R. Bejarano, 50-1

Purse: $2 million -- 1 1/14 miles; Grade 1 -- Post time: 6:24 p.m. Eastern -- TV: NBC

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old
05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

What can a Rosie-Rosie Oaks-Derby Double buy me?

Old
05-04-2011, 05:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
What can a Rosie-Rosie Oaks-Derby Double buy me?
I considered the same with Leparoux.

The field for the 137th Kentucky Oaks, from the rail out, is as follows: Joyful Victory (Mike Smith, 5-2), Lilacs and Lace (Javier Castellano, 12-1), Summer Soiree (Gabriel Saez, 5-1), Kathmanblu (Julien Leparoux, 4-1), Suave Voir Faire (Miguel Mena, 50-1), Zazu (Joel Rosario, 4-1), Her Smile (Garrett Gomez, 20-1), Bouquet Booth (Robby Albarado, 20-1), Daisy Devine (James Graham, 20-1), Street Storm (Shaun Bridgmohan, 50-1), Holy Heavens (Kent Desormeaux, 50-1), Plum Pretty (Martin Garcia, 5-1) and St. John’s River (Rosie Napravnik, 30-1). All starters will carry 121 pounds.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:35 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Devil May Care was euthanized (cancer). She ran in the 2010 Derby. A Pletcher/Johnny V connection.

Old
05-04-2011, 06:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Comma to the Top 30/1?

Old
05-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

I like Nehro way outside, bit short of a price though at 6-1

Old
05-04-2011, 10:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Since the Lightning swept the Caps, we'll avoid the people whining about hockey and the Derby both being on NBC.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Here come all the pieces in the news on Rosie:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...d%3Bphotovideo

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/428263...s-horse_racing

Old
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

http://community.tvg.com/t5/The-TVG-...nd/ba-p/507170

Quote:
Just as important as horses who catch the eye, are those who give the complete opposite impression. In this category are two horses - Uncle Mo and Master of Hounds. Simply put, they look like they don't want to be there. A horse who is thriving comes off the racetrack looking like they want to do more. Uncle Mo did not give that impression, and Master of Hounds went from 'hot and bothered' when he arrived on the track to lethargic going around the track and then back to 'over the top' leaving the track. I was always skeptical about Uncle Mo coming into the Kentucky Derby and what I saw on Thursday morning only solidifies my doubts. I wanted to believe in Master of Hounds, but I have become a non-believer after what I witnessed just two days out.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That is certainly interesting. Especially since Steve Haskin (Bloodhorse) had this comment today.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...uisvilles.aspx

Quote:
Uncle Mo, who was crawling out of his skin galloping this morning, his first gallop since working last Sunday, drew post 18, and again he’ll need good racing luck to avoid getting hung wide on the first turn.
Eye of the beholder.
Personally, when I'm at a track, I often times (probably too often) let the horse's appearance influence my decisions during the post parade.
The problem with that is you can be fooled by a good looking horse who just doesn't class up.
On the other hand, an eye catcher in the post parade is telegraphing their desire to perform at that moment. If they feel good they show it.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Valrico Gold

But enough of all that.
The problem at hand is figuring out how this Kentucky Derby will be run, and who'll cross the line first.

I don't think there is any question that their will be lots of pace in the race.

5 Decisive Moment
6 Comma to the Top
7 Pants On Fire
13 Mucho Macho Man
14 Shakleford
17 Soldat
18 Uncle Mo
......all display a close to, or on the pace style, and will be vying for position into the first turn. Even 4 Stay Thirsty has shown speed in the past and may try to move up early for position.
The question for these guys is who will be able to survive the pace, and remain in contention at the 1/4 pole?
I think Pants, Mucho. Shakleford, Soldat, and Mo should still be there entering the lane.

The question then becomes.....who will last to the finish, and who will try to get them?

8 Dialed In is the logical closer. He's done nothing wrong, is well prepared, and has the connections. My only knock on him is the lack of experience, which is huge in a circus/rodeo race like this. It requires a tough horse to win this. BTW, he's also won over the track.

12 Santiva is a little guy who has also won over the track. He'll have the jump on Dialed In, but needs to improve dramatically.

I would normally never consider 15 Midnight Interlude, but Baffert has him firing amazing works over the track!

19 Nehro is my darling horse. His last two preps were fantastic, but the 19 post with his lack of experience will hurt him.

My pick?????
I think one of the speeds holds on.
I'm undecided between 14 Shakleford, and 17 Soldat.
They are both well spotted to sit outside the pace and move when ready. They are both well prepped.
I sort of question Soldat's desire to want the distance, but have confidence Shakleford will like it.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Baffert's playing mind games...

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...0,377236.story

Quote:
But Baffert still couldn't resist saying a few things people may deem controversial, including that he isn't quite buying the mysterious illness that has stricken Uncle Mo in recent weeks.

"Uncle Mo looks fantastic out there to me," Baffert said. "He's the best horse in the race. I don't care what rumors you hear. You can't throw him out. He's looked great to me. Everyone is talking about him being 50/50. I think [Repole] is just trying to build a price for himself because it sounds like he likes to gamble. He's going to be dangerous. I don't think it's some [gastrointestinal issue], I think he just got tired at the Wood. From what I've seen visually, there is nothing there that tells me the horse isn't ready to run. … He's just trying to steal this race."

As for his own horse, Baffert isn't saying much. Midnight Interlude won the Santa Anita Derby in April, but he was virtually unknown prior to that victory and it didn't exactly come against the strongest field. Baffert, though, has played just about every role at the Derby over the years. Last year he had the favorite with Lookin At Lucky, and this year he'll have a longshot. It's all part of the game.

"It's all the same to me," Baffert said. "I've been coming here so many times. I know what to expect."

Old
05-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Valrico Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
You gotta love a straight shooter like Baffert.

The 'Uncle Mo' connections are playing the same BS word games that are always played on a faltering top horse in order to retain their stud value.

Old
05-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Pod 6 is Jerks

Uncle Mo has been scratched:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...kentucky-derby

Old
05-06-2011, 09:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I guess Todd Schrupp was right on that one.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/sto...kentucky-derby

Quote:
Repole made the announcement Friday morning, about 40 minutes before Derby wagering opened. In 2009, Derby favorite I Want Revenge was scratched on the morning of the race with a career-ending leg injury.

Uncle Mo's illness was discovered after he was upset in the Wood Memorial on April 9.
Wat

http://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/I_Want_Revenge

Closed Thread