HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Where Does Your Anger Lie?

View Poll Results: Where Does Your Anger Lie?
Kris Versteeg - For bringing the Leafs to the Flyers. 9 5.20%
Mike Richards - For not leading by example. 13 7.51%
Scott Hartnell - For not knowing how to skate. 1 0.58%
Ville Leino - For not stepping up like last year. 0 0%
Jeff Carter - For never being a clutch player. 2 1.16%
Blair Betts - For sucking at faceoffs. 0 0%
Matt Carle - For reminding us he sucks without Pronger. 2 1.16%
Brian Boucher - For pretending to be a starting goalie. 10 5.78%
Sergei Bobrovsky - For getting beat easily up high. 3 1.73%
Michael Leighton - For being alive. 1 0.58%
Peter Laviolette - For messing with the goalies heads. 6 3.47%
Paul Holmgren - For not getting a goalie. 95 54.91%
Ed Snider - For never hiring a GM that will get a goalie. 6 3.47%
Other 5 2.89%
No one - It is what it is. What can you do? 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Swiper the Fox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I agree 100%. Any team made of any set of NHL players having Boucher/Leighton/Bob giving up softies early EVERY game will eventually quit. They knew no matter how dominate they were (like almost every game this postseason) they were going to lose. Why bother? I am not saying they said "**** it, I quit", I am saying, the mental fatique got the best of them. Once the demons get in your head, it is hard to focus on pushing yourself through the pain of playoff hockey, knowing irregardless your crappy goalie will find a way to lose the game anyway.
correct
for example you can put an unproven goalie in net such as washington goalie
Neuvirth, and this flyers team would be in a different position right now
WHY.... because for the most part, he stopped pucks and didn't let soft ones in
if/when this type of goalie lets in a goal , the players know he had no chance and reason it went in, is because of poor defensive play thus, challenges them more to play more defensively and adjust accordingly

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:19 PM
PhillyFlying

every one of these guys needs a long off-season to get their **** together. come back stronger, healthier, and hungrier. i'm not ready to write this team off for the way it's built; this is, after-all, the same team that went to game 6 of the stanley cup finals minus a few small pieces. but this team lost its heart sometime around the new year and has never recovered. yeah, they need a goalie. yeah, homer made some pretty terrible decisions in the off-season. but this team is STACKED. there is no reason they should be playing like this at any position.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Still think next year Lavy doesn't make it through the season unless they bring in some new players and leader types that will buy into his ways and rein in those who don't which may include the younger core.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

I blame Team Animus.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Subject Orange

Tried to read through every post, but just couldn't do it!

But here's what I'm thinking, and its obviously what most people are thinking, the team needs some re-working, and most of all a solid man between the pipes.

As crazy hard as it seems to be, I really think Homer (if he's still here and I'm pretty sure he will be) needs to get Bryzgalov.

Let Carcillo, Leino (sigh), Boucher, boyton, and maybe O'donnel walk. I may miss O'donnel at some point but sadly it needs to happen.

have we put Lappy on LTI? Since we can cover his salary with replacement...does that mean we can add that salary to the cap? 1.2 mil is nothing to sneeze at.

As much as I'm surprised im going to say this, bring back Zherdev. As much as he slept on the ice this year, he's showed lately that he can be consistent, and he can improve his....less than adequate...defensive ability. But we can't offer him a ton of money.

Trade Versteeg. Something small, maybe even a pick. See if its possible to trade Leights to some back up needing, cap money needing (cause of low team salary), willing to give up a 6th round pick team.

Powe will be interesting. Powe is a solid player. But what he demands in money could be crippling to my over-the-top, probably-could never happen plan.

All in all, Bryzgalov would be a stellar pick up. Not to mention he is a perfect bridge for the largely russian speaking Bobrovsky, and could help develop Bob for his coming years.

This all seemed sane when I started writing it. Any thoughts?

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
sorry, you can't forget the bad goals......
(its deflating)

on these boards.........we all have been questioning the goaltending situation
month before playoffs and during playoffs
the media questioned the goaltending

you don't think the players/coaching staff thinking the same thing ?
and if your mind is questioning the goaltending and goaltending does in fact fail them , motivation is lost quickly.
Had boucher not allowed those 2 fast goals........... a different flyers team would have been playing out there last night

this team ( with exception of versteeg (whom i can't stand to see in a flyers jersey since being in a hawks uni ) and shelly ( just a big oaf that does nothing ) can go
all the way
The question coming towards the end of the season was when was this team going to pull their heads out of their rears. They were playing inconsistent hockey, could not hold leads, failed to play within the system, etc......the Flyers were horrible in their coverage and did not sustain any offensive pressure consistent enough.

Again, get the goalie issues, but the team in front of the goalie played with a lack of urgency, blaming the goalie is just a sidebar. They had 59 minutes to rectify the situation, instead Boston DOMINATED the play.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
every one of these guys needs a long off-season to get their **** together. come back stronger, healthier, and hungrier. i'm not ready to write this team off for the way it's built; this is, after-all, the same team that went to game 6 of the stanley cup finals minus a few small pieces. but this team lost its heart sometime around the new year and has never recovered. yeah, they need a goalie. yeah, homer made some pretty terrible decisions in the off-season. but this team is STACKED. there is no reason they should be playing like this at any position.
This team quit, it is a shame that people are not looking at the big picture when this began in February. The may have the skill but lack the character and balls to get it done on a consistent basis.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:28 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Screw that, a couple players have to go. This is an ongoing issue with this team. The guys on the ice did not want it. This is the same team who went to game 6 in the SCF's, what is so different besides the effort and execution and the leadership on the ice?
Let's see. A hall of fame defenseman, a forward who was valuable in the room and on the ice and scored timely goals, a guy who had put his life on the line for the team to rally around.

Goaltending has a great deal to do with where the Flyers are today (you could almost see the wind go out of the Flyers' sails with the 2 goals Boston scored in the first 60 seconds), but it's not the sole reason.

The chemistry of the group has been messed up and some of the additions made in the offseason and during the season are a big step down in terms of talent and attitude (Zherdev, Versteeg).

I was afraid to look at the poll results. I'm very happy to see that the anger is placed where it should be.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
This team quit, it is a shame that people are not looking at the big picture when this began in February. The may have the skill but lack the character and balls to get it done on a consistent basis.
this team would have played their game MUCH differently given they had
good goaltending
this team didn't even need GREAT goaltending............they just needed solid goaltending

this is the best team they have come up with over the entire time I've watched them 25 or so years, with exception of goaltending
they had a good goalie with hextall, but couldnt' get a good enough team in front of him (wish hextall was playing in this era - cuz they'd have a few more SC banners up in the rafters)

I still believe their motivation/confidence is gone because of goaltending and with proper goaltending........ a different team (with confidence/attitude) would be playing right now

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

As much as I am beginning to hate Homer more and more. I will place a lot of my anger with Lavi. This guy let the team slide for way two long, and even as bad as our goal tending was, our overall play matched that **** platter. Not only that, but Lavi's overall goal tending decisions where down right disgusting.

I'll save my hate till more light is shed on what really happened with Bobo.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
tuckrr

i wish i could vote more than once...heres my ranking though
#1 Richards--being too cute, not playing gritty enough
#2 Versteeg-- " "
#3 BOBs -- pooping the bed (i love bobs though, and want nothing more than his success...but he has been a REAL let down these past few weeks)

IMO we got exactly what we paid for with boosh, so i dont really blame him for not being a great goaltender...and briere has been no where this series

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:38 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
i wish i could vote more than once...heres my ranking though
#1 Richards--being too cute, not playing gritty enough
#2 Versteeg-- " "
#3 BOBs -- pooping the bed (i love bobs though, and want nothing more than his success...but he has been a REAL let down these past few weeks)

IMO we got exactly what we paid for with boosh, so i dont really blame him for not being a great goaltender...and briere has been no where this series
Bob's didn't poop the bed.

Everything that happened to him this year was easily predictable. All things considered, I'm still happy with his season.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:43 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Bob's didn't poop the bed.

Everything that happened to him this year was easily predictable. All things considered, I'm still happy with his season.
yea, hes had a great year no doubt...im just disappointed his success in the regular season couldn't carry over into the playoffs (not that its EXPECTED of him...but its disappointing nonetheless.) hes a very young (and green) goalie, and im sure he will rebound. He just needs more time to be "our guy" and thats very VERY apparent now. (not something easily predictable IMO)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:52 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
yea, hes had a great year no doubt...im just disappointed his success in the regular season couldn't carry over into the playoffs (not that its EXPECTED of him...but its disappointing nonetheless.) hes a very young (and green) goalie, and im sure he will rebound. He just needs more time to be "our guy" and thats very VERY apparent now. (not something easily predictable IMO)
It was all easily predictable. I predicted everything that happened with him this year way back in preseason in the thread someone started asking whether or not he should be on the team this year. I said back then I didn't want to rush him into the spotlight because he would get figured out and his level of play would come down due to numerous flaws in his game. I even specifically mentioned his tendency to crouch/drop too low, his failure to keep his hands and shoulders high when he goes down, and his inability to compete in traffic - all of which were exposed down the stretch when teams figured him out.

Edit: I did some searching and found one of my early comments on Bob's faults. So nothing that happened with him down the stretch should be a surprise to anyone: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...2&postcount=66

I'm not disappointed that his 'regular season success' (which was really early/midseason success) didn't follow into the playoffs because it was never sustainable to begin with, and I'd been saying that all year.

Last edited by infidelappel*: 05-05-2011 at 05:59 PM.
infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Here's how my anger ranks.

1. No one - It is what it is. What can you do? I tell my self this so I don't flip out besides admittedly a lot of the problems have to do with injures and it just happens some times. Plus I don't want to sound like a bitter old man. I'll wait till it's officially over for that.
2. Michael Leighton - For being alive. I will never for give him.
3. Kris Versteeg - For bringing the Leafs to the Flyers. He is as awful as our record since he joined the team.
4. Paul Holmgren - For not getting a goalie. Why would he resign Leighton? Even when we were winning it was clear he wasn't that good.
5. Scott Hartnell - For not knowing how to skate. Don't forget stupid penalties.
6. Mike Richards - For not leading by example. I still am a Richards fan but in these playoffs he hasn't been very good.
7. Brian Boucher - For pretending to be a starting goalie. I'm disappointed at some of the goals he's let up but it's not his fault he's a quality backup goalie who got the starting role by default.
8. Jeff Carter - For never being a clutch player. He hasn't shown clutch ability in the playoffs, but to be fair he's missed a lot of playoff games due to injury and many of the ones he's played in he was coming back from injury early so I didn't expect much more than what we got.
9. Peter Laviolette - For messing with the goalies heads. I don't think he really played mind games with the goalies he was just trying to work with the limited resources he had
10. Matt Carle - For reminding us he sucks without Pronger. He is what he as a good offensive defenseman who needs a strong defensive partner, and looks great with Pronger. Again I didn't really expect much else.
11. Blair Betts - For sucking at faceoffs. Our team just isn't that good on face offs and really hasn't been for years. I can't blame only him for that.
12. Ville Leino - For not stepping up like last year. He got a hip injury mid year which he came back to early from and it was well known it would be a problem the rest of the season. That's a major issue for a player who's skating is such a big part of his game.
13. Sergei Bobrovsky - For getting beat easily up high. He's a rookie playing his first season in North America and was expected to get some seasoning in the AHL. We're lucky he's been as good as he has.
14. Ed Snider - For never hiring a GM that will get a goalie. He doesn't intentionally hire GMs who don't place a premium on goal tending. I think he's one of the most passionate and emotionally invested owners in pro sports I feel lucky to have him as the Flyers owner personally.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:36 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Dont be shocked if they waive Betts in the offseason...

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:41 PM
JCameron418

i blame crosby

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I was naive and short minded to think this team could "flip the switch" and start playing defense again. I was so wrong.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
drownedsailors

We.

Need.

INTANGIBLES!!!

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Flyerfan808

My anger lies with "What can you do" and "It is what it is" and all those who proliferate them (Paul Holmgren).

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Haute Couturier

I don't think there is one person to blame.

This team hasn't looked like an elite team since at least February. It just felt like everyone involved with this team from the coach, players, and even fans thought this team would easily turn it on in the playoffs because of what they did last year. It appeared that they became full of themselves because they felt they had nothing left to play for and bad habits were developed. They hadn't played a solid team game consistently in quite some time.

The supposed best defense in the NHL never played anything close to it this season. The defense was as just as much to blame as the goaltending was for the lack of shutouts. There were too many breakdowns and too many blown leads from what was supposed to be an elite defense.

Paul Holmgren certainly deserves blame for the circus in net, but it certainly wasn't the only issue.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:44 PM
goodrev

all though most of my blame falls on holmgren... I hate versteeg and his 3.4 million for the next 2 years

goodrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 400
Snider to Holmgren :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz7zo1BvvA4

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:59 PM
trigzter

Well we obviously need a number 1 goalie but Richards definately needs to step up his game next year. Hartnell scored more goals than he did this year so you know something is wrong.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:01 AM
DutchDennis

Definately Versteeg, from the moment he put his Orange and Black jersey on, the Leafs started playing Better en we started playing poop.

DutchDennis is offline   Reply With Quote