HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm-Buf

Old
05-05-2011, 05:33 PM
big ape

vCash: 500
Edm-Buf

Tom Gilbert for Zach Kassian.Be gentle it's my first thread.

big ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Leafssss

Buffalo doesn't do it.
Maybe something along Gilbert + Omark + 3rd for Zassian.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:39 PM
GatoradeG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Buffalo doesn't do it.
Maybe something along Gilbert + Omark + 3rd for Zassian.
So a 30 pt defenseman a 30 pts flashy forward with 50pt potential and a 3rd round pick for a 2nd line AT BEST grinding forward prospect? Seems fair to me.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:43 PM
zeus3007*

The Oilers don't need Kassian, we have Hartikainen, Hamilton and Pitlick all in the pipe, and all are probably at most two years away and play a similar style. I don't think giving up a d-man (our biggest weakness) for a player that covers abilities our prospects are not short on is a smart move.

Now, if we could pry a d-man out of them, like Gragnani or Butler, I would be interested in talking about a deal. But not for Gilbert, he was good this year, and is a good, albeit slightly overpaid second pair d-man.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalicious View Post
So a 30 pt defenseman a 30 pts flashy forward with 50pt potential and a 3rd round pick for a 2nd line AT BEST grinding forward prospect? Seems fair to me.

Keep your overpaid garbage package, we'll keep Kassian.

Kassian is not being traded, end of story.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:51 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Gagner for Kassian.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Gagner for Kassian.
No..

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:03 PM
GatoradeG*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post

Keep your overpaid garbage package, we'll keep Kassian.

Kassian is not being traded, end of story.
Kassian is not worth a 3rd rounder alone. Guy is bigtime overrated. Omark>Kassian.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:06 PM
RStar*

Quote:
Kassian is not worth a 3rd rounder alone. Guy is bigtime overrated. Omark>Kassian.
I'd like everyone to know that I'm distancing myself from you as your opinion is ridiculous.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:10 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
I'd like everyone to know that I'm distancing myself from you as your opinion is ridiculous.
I'd like to join your stance as well.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Chayos

I think Kassian has a lot of things that the oilers need, but to trade our number 2 d-man for him would be a bad move.

I am not in anyway saying that Gilbert is worth more, but with the Oil's lack of defense this deal would weaken them to much on the back end.

People really need to give Gilbert a break, because he is a pretty good 3-4 d-man, but in Edm he has to fill in as a number 2 and he gets exposed because of it.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM
big ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
I think Kassian has a lot of things that the oilers need, but to trade our number 2 d-man for him would be a bad move.

I am not in anyway saying that Gilbert is worth more, but with the Oil's lack of defense this deal would weaken them to much on the back end.

People really need to give Gilbert a break, because he is a pretty good 3-4 d-man, but in Edm he has to fill in as a number 2 and he gets exposed because of it.
Good points,to me Gilbert plays to soft even in a 4-d position.

big ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:47 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

Agreed! Hopefully when we're ready to contend, Petry will be ready as our #2 dman and we'll have gained one more solid dman so Gilbert isn't so relied upon(although he finsihed the year quite well)

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:54 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

Honestly, Gilbert isn't that good. He may be the #2 d-man on the worst team in the league, but take a look at the D of the teams still playing in the playoffs, does he even crack the top 4 on any of them? I'm not sure he can crack the top 6 on some of them.

Kassian would be a great piece to add for the future because let's face it, the Oilers aren't competing for the Cup in the next couple of years.

The Oilers can draft D this year, maybe move Hemsky at the deadline next year for a good d-man if hemsky is healthy and a couple of years down the road the Oilers will have a heck of a team.

The future is bright for the Oilers, but it is a couple of years down the road and if they had the chance to move a guy like Gilbert for kassian it should be done as soon as possible.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Omark + 3rd is valued at almost nothing.

EDM needs Gilbert more than they could use Kassian.

oXo Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
Agreed! Hopefully when we're ready to contend, Petry will be ready as our #2 dman and we'll have gained one more solid dman so Gilbert isn't so relied upon(although he finsihed the year quite well)
I really feel that the oilers defence needs something more than Petry at number 2. If I was running the oilers I would Draft Larsson and then our defence would be strong in 3 years and we could afford to move gilbert out of the top 4.

Larsson Whitney
Petry Smid
Gilbert Peckem

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I really feel that the oilers defence needs something more than Petry at number 2. If I was running the oilers I would Draft Larsson and then our defence would be strong in 3 years and we could afford to move gilbert out of the top 4.

Larsson Whitney
Petry Smid
Gilbert Peckem
We need RNH more than Larsson, and Smid doesn't crack the top 4 over Gilbert. A much more likely defence in 3 years would be

Whitney - Petry
Gilbert - (Bieksa type guy via fa or trade)
Peckham - Teubert

Old
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Pools Closed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan2354 View Post
We need RNH more than Larsson, and Smid doesn't crack the top 4 over Gilbert. A much more likely defence in 3 years would be

Whitney - Marincin
Petry - (Bieksa type guy via fa or trade)
Peckham - Teubert
Now that's better

Pools Closed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:00 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicckkilla View Post
Now that's better
I'm just assuming we won't have traded Gilbert at that point and Marincin will be finishing developing in the AHL

Old
05-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Havok89

Quote:
29 NHL GM's would trade a 2nd rounder assuming they had one for Zack Kassian.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
Wow.

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
27 points for a 24 year old Omark, yeah worth far more then the next Lucic (but meaner)

God, I know your mad you can't get Big Zack Kassian for your garbage, but to say Omark (marginal forward "prospect") is worth more then Kassian

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:07 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ape View Post

oilers need to add something of value

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:15 PM
lifeisruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ape View Post
The Sabres have three puck moving defensemen (Myers, Leopold, Sekera) and defensemen is their biggest strength among prospects. Kassian is also the only tough guy they have in the NHL. Maybe if you had a good stay at home defensemen, we might talk.

lifeisruff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:19 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
27 points for a 24 year old Omark, yeah worth far more then the next Lucic (but meaner)

God, I know your mad you can't get Big Zack Kassian for your garbage, but to say Omark (marginal forward "prospect") is worth more then Kassian
1) Omark had 27 points in 51 games. In a full year, that's about 44 points, which is a pretty decent rookie season in the NHL. Age is irrelevant, especially for Europeans, simply because it takes a while to adjust to the NA game.

2) I know you may not agree, but I'm not sure labelling your player the next Lucic and calling the other one garbage is really the best way to do that. I like Kassian A LOT, but he has a lot of work to do to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL and still play his physical, mean style of play. There are no guarantees in the hockey world, and in 5 years both of these players could be 3rd line players.

Clearly, it makes no sense for the Sabres to trade Kassian. They have a lot of skill, but they don't really have anyone that fits the Kassian mold, which is why it doesn't make a lot of sense.

IMO, Kassian brings more to the table than Omark, but not to the extent one is garbage and the other is an auto 30 goal scorer. Omark is clearly more offensively talented and more skilled with the puck, yet Kassian is a better 2-way player, much more physical, drives the net harder, and obviously has ridiculous size.

Your preference between the 2 probably has a lot to do with what your current team looks like. Both Buffalo and Edmonton have a lot of small skilled players, so they would both prefer Kassian most likely. A team like LA may prefer the skill of Omark in their system because they have plenty of grit and size.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote