HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Doc heading to Pittsburgh ?

Old
05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Sarge18

vCash: 500
Chico is A LOT smarter than how he comes off on the air. I was fortunate enough to spend a good amount of time talking to him right after our season ended and let me tell you he spilled his guts on tons of things and has quite a bit of insight. He's nowhere near a homer when the mic isn't on. Unfortunately I don't want to get him in trouble so I can't share that stuff here or anywhere but this could be a very interesting couple of months for the franchise to say the least.

Sarge18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Doc is my favorite, a true pro and the best in the game (imo)

Cangi sucks, I might think of muting every game if he becomes full time PBP after Doc

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
apice3*

Petition for Randy Moller to take over for Doc when he retires.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Sarge18

What are Larry Hirsch or Chris Moore up to?

Old
05-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Petition for Randy Moller to take over for Doc when he retires.
I don't think Lou or MSG would let him do the wacky goal call stuff.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge18 View Post
Chico is A LOT smarter than how he comes off on the air. I was fortunate enough to spend a good amount of time talking to him right after our season ended and let me tell you he spilled his guts on tons of things and has quite a bit of insight. He's nowhere near a homer when the mic isn't on. Unfortunately I don't want to get him in trouble so I can't share that stuff here or anywhere but this could be a very interesting couple of months for the franchise to say the least.
Chico is very smart and knows the game well - the problem is his knowledge and vocabulary don't align on-camera. He gets goof-idis and starts stumbling then loses all situational awareness to stop storytelling and trying to recover during the play. On-air presence is very much a separate issue from qualifications and knowledge.

He's had a lot of years to polish these elements too - he's not a rookie "in the booth" with Doc. My criticisms of him are the on-air product, not the person. Some mistakes are funny and some stories bring levity or can keep a boring stretch interesting, but other times it's just annoying.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:00 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If Doc does leave (hope not), I wouldn't mind if the guy that called the 2003 cup final as his replacement. I don't know his name but he was pretty good and I actually think he's doing Baltimore's BPB cause his voice sounded very familiar when I was watching my Sox take a beating against the O's this week.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

Mark Madden? I wouldn't take a guy who was a color commentator for WCW too seriously. That said, I wouldn't mind a biased but smart PBP homer if Doc leaves.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If Doc does leave (hope not), I wouldn't mind if the guy that called the 2003 cup final as his replacement. I don't know his name but he was pretty good and I actually think he's doing Baltimore's BPB cause his voice sounded very familiar when I was watching my Sox take a beating against the O's this week.
Gary Thorne. I'm pretty sure he's under more or less permanent contract to ESPN though.

I'd love to try to bring in Mike Miller, but he may not be up to the rigor of a full-time NHL broadcasting job.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

Mike Miller... man I miss listening to him call out a devils goal...

Is he even ABLE to call games now? After his throat surgery he never sounded the same and his voice would give out easily.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post

Is he even ABLE to call games now? After his throat surgery he never sounded the same and his voice would give out easily.

That was the loudest game I've ever been to

Always love the shot of Daneyko jumping up and down

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Sarge18

Quote:

He does radio for the Windsor Spitfires. I listened to one of his games online last year. They don't have a color guy so it's just him the whole time so I think his voice could handle it. This is all rumor but I heard he didn't get along with Sherry Ross when she was here in the 90s and I could tell he didn't get along with Randy. I listened to Mike's last Devil game and you could tell there was tension between them when Mike was saying his goodbyes.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
i hate to name drop, but I've talked with him too quite a bit. He's a very CHATTY guy. He's like the energizer bunny if you get on a good topic with him, and that's not an insult. I could talk with a guy like that, and listen to him talk all day long. He actually has that vibe. I don't think I'm biased since he was my favorite Devil back in elementary school, cause he is fun to talk to. I won't share stuff I've hard him say either out of not betraying confidences, but he's really interesting.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Mike Miller and Randy Velischek wow. I used to listen to them all the time. How the hell we got that radio station in Canada, I'll never know.

Thank god for Centre Ice.

And it's 3.............0.........NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW WWW JERSEYYYYYYYYYYY

Loved that call.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

Quote:
He does radio for the Windsor Spitfires. I listened to one of his games online last year. They don't have a color guy so it's just him the whole time so I think his voice could handle it. This is all rumor but I heard he didn't get along with Sherry Ross when she was here in the 90s and I could tell he didn't get along with Randy. I listened to Mike's last Devil game and you could tell there was tension between them when Mike was saying his goodbyes.
That's cool - I heard he left broadcasting to pursue a front office job with some minor league team. Guess that didn't stick long. As for not getting along with Sherry and Randy... I don't know who's fault that would be, but I can see it. Lot of strong personalities in the mix of media types (Doc and Chico are the humble exceptions).

Old
05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

I think this thread warrants another thread with the poll "Which is of more pressing concern?"

The choices:

"Signing Parise"
"Signing Doc"

It just seems prudent, but I don't wanna be the guy to do it.

fortheloveof666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
apice3*

I wonder what Doc's trade value is.

Al Michaels was traded once. From http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

Quote:
ESPN picked up rights to Ryder Cup matches (along with paying a rights fee), Olympics highlights, historic cartoon character Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and more while NBC acquired the services of Emmy-winner Michaels for its Sunday night games it was announced Thursday.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
AZNDevil
Yay band.

I don't mind the Cangy-man as much now. I think he does a good job covering for Doc when he's on assignment.

AZNDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:47 PM
JerseySideOfTheRiver
Geaux Devils

gus johnson?

JerseySideOfTheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:06 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagPariseee View Post
gus johnson?
He has called college hockey before and he's easily my favorite basketball announcer.

COLD BLOODED

Old
05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:

He's been working as a broadcaster for the Windsor Spitfires, and from all accounts he's healthy.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote