HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Fisher: Markov's best bet is the KHL

Old
05-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He's older, hasn't played hockey in a while, has had major injuries to the same knee twice... How could you not know this? Be honest with yourself here, the guy is an injury risk.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't take that risk but ideally it comes with a short term contract. If it's a 7 year deal we shouldn't have anything to do with this.
I don't think he was disputing the fact there is a risk, and that is a higher one than say PK or any other player that hasn't suffered any season ending injuries multiple times.
Is there a chance that he will never get back to form? Sure.
IS there a chance he will?..Yup.
Is he more likely to never get back to where he was, and so, be past his prime?? I really have no idea and don't know how any poster here can really predict that.
If Markov's knee can resist, then I really don't see why he wouldn't get back to where he was, and even keep progressing.

As for his contract, give him wtv he wants. If it's 3year, so be it. If he becomes a free agent, the 29 other teams will be interested in him. I'm convinced he would be the more touted UFA. He's one of the best Dman in the NHL, why would we not want to take a risk with him?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
bib
#believe

Humble opinion: the khl is underrated.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm sure the Habs will do a lot of reasearch on the medical side of this, athletes and ACL reconstruction as well as getting an update on where Markov is. I think re-signing Markov will mean letting Wisniewski walk(reading between the lines). If you take health out of the equation, retaining Mrakov even at a very high cost would never be in question.
The Habs have Dr Mulder, and Dr Recchi both waiting to put their 2 cents in on the Markov injury status...we are in good hands...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think he was disputing the fact there is a risk, and that is a higher one than say PK or any other player that hasn't suffered any season ending injuries multiple times.
Is there a chance that he will never get back to form? Sure.
IS there a chance he will?..Yup.
Is he more likely to never get back to where he was, and so, be past his prime?? I really have no idea and don't know how any poster here can really predict that.
If Markov's knee can resist, then I really don't see why he wouldn't get back to where he was, and even keep progressing.

As for his contract, give him wtv he wants. If it's 3year, so be it. If he becomes a free agent, the 29 other teams will be interested in him. I'm convinced he would be the more touted UFA. He's one of the best Dman in the NHL, why would we not want to take a risk with him?
Of course there's a risk, but I think there's an even BIGGER risk in assuming he can't/won't recover and still be a great defensman.

I'm telling you guys, if the Habs do not re-sign Andrei Markov, there will be a long list of teams who WILL take that risk. Among them, the Detroit Red Wings who have an aging Nik Lidstrom/Brian Rafalski and a good friend of Markov on their team in Pavel Datsyuk who i'm sure would be recommending to Ken Holland to sign Markov.

I think Markov would look mighty good in a Wigns uniform...but even better in a Habs one

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
Yes you are. Like he can ask for that haha
12million for 1 year...I was just kidding about that.
It was my way of saying that Markov is looking for a 3 year minimum contract. He wants to make as much money as he can before NO ONE gives him a lot of money for being a glass man.

1-2 more injuries and it will be harder for him to DEMAND 5 or 6mil.
Then again...there's always a GM out there that will sign an injury prone player and give him lots of money (ex: GM Sather).

Even I'm getting fed up of all this: sign him to 2-3 years and get it over with. This could be a major JINX to our Habs...when Gainey went to get Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill, Gomez, Spacek,etc...he went after players that are not injury prone (can't blame him after that 100year anniversary INJURY-FILLED season).

Markov (imo) is the only obvious glass man left on our team...every time he will get hit I will cringe like crazy.

I want to be wrong about Markov...I hope I am.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
The Habs owe Markov zilch. He's been injured repeatedly and between injuries trotted off to the Olympics. He's been paid for his services or lack thereof. The Habs have given up assets to fill the voids left by his injuries. They "owe" him nothing.
Markov left his home country and took the chance to start a new life in a strange country where he could not even speak the language and gave the hab team 110%. He proved everyone wrong that he was worth more than a 6th round pick and became an elite no. 1 defenseman for Montreal for 9 seasons. What do you think we should do? Throw him away like an old rag at the first sign of a setback? Mark my word Gauthier will throw the bank at Markov for the remainder of his hockey career.

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Monster View Post
Markov left his home country and took the chance to start a new life in a strange country where he could not even speak the language and gave the hab team 110%. He proved everyone wrong that he was worth more than a 6th round pick and became an elite no. 1 defenseman for Montreal for 9 seasons. What do you think we should do? Throw him away like an old rag at the first sign of a setback? Mark my word Gauthier will throw the bank at Markov for the remainder of his hockey career.
I love markov, but he was NOT elite for 9 seasons. Holy exaggeration batman.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
12million for 1 year...I was just kidding about that.
It was my way of saying that Markov is looking for a 3 year minimum contract. He wants to make as much money as he can before NO ONE gives him a lot of money for being a glass man.

1-2 more injuries and it will be harder for him to DEMAND 5 or 6mil.
Then again...there's always a GM out there that will sign an injury prone player and give him lots of money (ex: GM Sather).

Even I'm getting fed up of all this: sign him to 2-3 years and get it over with. This could be a major JINX to our Habs...when Gainey went to get Cammalleri, Gionta, Gill, Gomez, Spacek,etc...he went after players that are not injury prone (can't blame him after that 100year anniversary INJURY-FILLED season).

Markov (imo) is the only obvious glass man left on our team...every time he will get hit I will cringe like crazy.

I want to be wrong about Markov...I hope I am.
Actually Markov was pretty steady leading up to 2 years ago. The Grabo hit has never really ended in a way... But each one was a freak accident... Its just the wrong player on the ice...

There is no doubt people do NOT remember what Markov contributes... PG I believe in his final interview of the year, (after the loss to Boston) he mentioned it was key to look at signing the free agents, and named Markov only... <-- that says something to me.
The Habs believe in Andrei. I for one am excited at the prospects of a full season from him this upcoming year... In a HAB jersey! get-er-done Gaut's... This truly is the major key signing THIS offseason.

Markov-Subban
Price

Definately is a very solid first line of defence...
I am psyched to watch Markov with Subban... They are opposite pairings, (LD-RD) and are both responsible 2 way threats, both with a different philosophy. Markov is positioning, Subban is Physical.
Or compliment them more by slitting them up and allowing them to play 45 + minutes a game.

Markov is a piece that puts us over the top, and consider this... He's the BEST FIT UFA defenceman for us, because we know his history with the team, and how he can contribute... He's played 52 regular season games since the Grabo hit, as well as 9 playoff games (injured) last year...

Having him for a full season would change the make up of this team. He is a major difference maker who has been mostly forgotten (apparently).

@ 32 years old, I am comfortable as well to give him a multi-year contract. First off, it would help us as he went in to over the 35 + years, as well as it gives us a strong #1 d for a good many years.
Major reason being, is that Markov is a thinking defenceman. He is not comparable to, but the game style is similar to Niklas Lidstrom.
When healthy, I place Andrei Markov in the top 5 defencemen in the league. He is a prized Montreal Canadien to me, and I am happy to resign him, easily @ 5 million. I dont think he could honestly ask for more... My worries are that Gauthier low-balls him. Or insults him with a 1 year (a la Briere/Buffalo).

There is not many defencemen that we could honestly even replace Markov with.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:02 PM
tinyzombies

Red Fisher... stick to the storytelling Red, you are about as reliable a hockey opinion as Stan Fischler. I guess he figures the ghost of Doug Harvey will win the Cup for us?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote