HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who Else Has a Very Hard Time Saying "No" to Prospal?

Old
05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I'd bring him and Feds to camp and if the kids can not beat them out and get roster spots, you have these guys who can play on lower lines. Then, if the kids are ready, you can let them go.
I'm not sure if just giving Feds a camp invite will cut it this year. He really improved his value this past season, especially in the playoffs. I think he'll have contract offers early on in free agency so we'll have to make a pitch. He's a pretty necessary veteran role player for us.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Its a firm no! for me. Too many reasons to mention. So ill say the only things he can bring a few points, some character. Like i said i too much to mention on the No side.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I'm not sure if just giving Feds a camp invite will cut it this year. He really improved his value this past season, especially in the playoffs. I think he'll have contract offers early on in free agency so we'll have to make a pitch. He's a pretty necessary veteran role player for us.
Exactly, which is why the Rangers should make a jump on him early to try and get some sort of minor discount. I feel on the market, he will easily see contracts for 2 years at 2 mil each. He really had a very good year and actually showed up in the playoffs, as always.

Feds is the kind of veteran you want on a team that is poised to go the distance. Prospal used to be that guy, but with the knees so suspect, he's just hanging onto an NHL career by a thread these days.

Feds>>>>Prospal and there's only room for one of them with our prospects knocking on the door.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Prospal can provide depth, if hes not the one on the IR. We had quite a few injuries this past season, he will cost less and produce more than any UFA your going to bring in for ~ 1 mill. Sign me up.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Yea I really don't think Kreider is ready for the NHL next season.

If you look at the World Championships and had no idea about the Rangers I think you can clearly tell which of the 3 Rangers are NHL players and which is not.

Stepan and McDonagh have been VERY good while Kreider hasn't reached that level yet.

I don't want to get flamed saying that I hate Kreider and he won't be any good, I think to me personally he isn't at that level yet. Although he has made some really good strides.
While I'm inclined to agree, you never know. McDonagh wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at Hartford. Sometimes the way to maximize a guy's talent is to push him as far as you can.

Either way, I'm not going into camp holding a spot open for him.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Kreider looks NHL ready, personally. At least for 3rd line duties.

But if he comes to camp and doesn't impress, you put him in the AHL, let him play on the top line and be glad you signed a good veteran like Vinny who likes playing for this organization to help Stepan and possibly MZA grow as players.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
While I'm inclined to agree, you never know. McDonagh wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at Hartford. Sometimes the way to maximize a guy's talent is to push him as far as you can.

Either way, I'm not going into camp holding a spot open for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I think Kreider looks NHL ready, personally. At least for 3rd line duties.

But if he comes to camp and doesn't impress, you put him in the AHL, let him play on the top line and be glad you signed a good veteran like Vinny who likes playing for this organization to help Stepan and possibly MZA grow as players.
I think you have to give him every chance to succeed in training camp. Torts did that for Stepan last year when he put him constantly in all these different situations and he continued to impress. McDonagh was also really solid during training camp and seemed to be basically NHL-ready.

If Kreider signs, you give him every chance to succeed in the preseason. If he was good in preseason, but not great, I would prefer to hold onto Prospal/Fedotenko and have Kreider playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL than stick around to play him on the 3rd line. We could bring him up mid-year like McDonagh and go from there.

I don't think he's ready yet, personally but I think he is getting a lot closer and if signed should be pounding on the door by mid-season next year.

05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
Prospal can provide depth, if hes not the one on the IR. We had quite a few injuries this past season, he will cost less and produce more than any UFA your going to bring in for ~ 1 mill. Sign me up.
id bring him back along with Fedotenko, Feds id give a 2 year deal. he is only 32 and is a warrior. Prospal id give him the same contract but alot less ice time. nothing against him but maybe with less ice time, he wont be tired towards the playoffs. he is a good leader to have and has a good attitude.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:47 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if it wasn't for Wolskis shootout ability, we dont make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for Christensens shootout ability, we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for Boyles 20+ goals we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasnt for Zach Parise being out for the season, we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for....

when you make the playoffs via a tiebreaker, the whole "if it wasn't for" argument works for everything.

Prospal isnt going to be a guy to help us win a cup. let him walk and let a kid who will be part of the solution take his spot.
Thank you. If we look all these little things if it wasent for Dubi getting 50pts if Lundy didnt stand on his head for many games... and on and on. Prospal was by no mean more important than Lundy, Dubi, Cally, Sauer, Mcd etc so way do we have to say that. Right now we need to improve this team and keeping Vinny P around does not do that regardless of his points, did he step up in the playoffs? no

Old
05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id bring him back along with Fedotenko, Feds id give a 2 year deal. he is only 32 and is a warrior. Prospal id give him the same contract but alot less ice time. nothing against him but maybe with less ice time, he wont be tired towards the playoffs. he is a good leader to have and has a good attitude.
If u havent watched hockey teams around the league play i can update you. Its a young mans game, teams do not keep guys around that are old, cant skate and weak along the boards only to hope to desperately throw the puck in front of the net and hope for the best type of hockey player. He does nothing in terms of forecheck and hitting, does not make opposing D life's harder and just isnt good enough. The only team that tries to do it is Det with guys like Modano but he cant even crack the line-up these days. These days you need to be strong, able to skate and be hard to play against like a cooke, Avery or unless your really talented there is no place for you. Feds i want back because he is strong, can skate and plays hard. Prospal has none of those he cant skate, is not strong enough to protect a puck and because of age cannot battle as hard as long as he needs to on 3rd or 4th line role.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I think you have to give him every chance to succeed in training camp. Torts did that for Stepan last year when he put him constantly in all these different situations and he continued to impress. McDonagh was also really solid during training camp and seemed to be basically NHL-ready.

If Kreider signs, you give him every chance to succeed in the preseason. If he was good in preseason, but not great, I would prefer to hold onto Prospal/Fedotenko and have Kreider playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL than stick around to play him on the 3rd line. We could bring him up mid-year like McDonagh and go from there.

I don't think he's ready yet, personally but I think he is getting a lot closer and if signed should be pounding on the door by mid-season next year.
Really? Hes got size, speed (strength will have to see for Krieder) but i mean i would rather keep him in the line up over Prospal as i kno with a 20 year old he can improve well the 35 year old will get worse as the season goes on. If u need a veteran guy you get them late in the season if they look like they are playing at the top of their game for exp Recchi, Arnott.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
There is more than just scoring. Maybe those other UFA will bring other attributes VP cant offer.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
mhurley

If it doesn't interfere with any other signings or offers, if at all possible, keep Vinnie.

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Blue Line Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
There is more than just scoring. Maybe those other UFA will bring other attributes VP cant offer.
The rest of the team does those other things. It's okay to have a few guys that can create offense and aren't grinder types.

Blue Line Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
If it doesn't interfere with any other signings or offers, if at all possible, keep Vinnie.
i don't see the harm of giving him a tryout. i wouldn't guarantee him a contract. too many ??? with him. he has to be a top 6 player for us otherwise it's probably best to move on.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:23 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
My head says let him walk for cap space since he's old and has a bad knee, but my heart says this is the exact kind of veteran and role model we need and unquestionably loves playing in MSG for us.

I'm torn...
I love Prospal. The types of players I wish we could lose would be players who don't do anything spectacular but are solid and boring. We have too many like that. We don't need Avery with Prust here, for example, because Prust does everything Avery does better. Drury hopefully will be bought out. I certainly do not want to see McCabe back either. I am OK if Gilroy comes back, but not if he gets a raise because he is not worth that. We don't need Eminger either with McDonagh and with McIlrath in the pipeline.

Prospal hits people, does not take stupid penalties, hardly ever makes a mistake, and is a good passer and scorer (and actually useful on the power play!) I'd love to see both him and Fedotenko come back. Now if only they can get a scoring forward to play with Prospal and Gaborik on the first line (Richards?) I also think that Prospal will benefit from time to practice and not have to recover from knee surgery, he will be faster next year if brought back.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:26 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Really? Hes got size, speed (strength will have to see for Krieder) but i mean i would rather keep him in the line up over Prospal as i kno with a 20 year old he can improve well the 35 year old will get worse as the season goes on. If u need a veteran guy you get them late in the season if they look like they are playing at the top of their game for exp Recchi, Arnott.
True but also very few rookies step in and can play top line duty. I think it makes more sense to bring in Kreider to play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Kreider does have the speed, and some strength, he is big so I think he will grow into that...but many good NHL players have slow starts to their careers, not that I'm comparing the two but Joe Thornton had quite an awful rookie year if you think about it, so I don't think Kreider will be ready to play 1st line minutes as an NHL rookie if he makes the team next year.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I mean, are we trying to win games next year? If we go out and get Richards, that would signal yes. If that happens, then we fill our roster with the players most likely to help us win games.

Developing young players is great and all but at some point we need to place the emphasis on winning now.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Thank you. If we look all these little things if it wasent for Dubi getting 50pts if Lundy didnt stand on his head for many games... and on and on. Prospal was by no mean more important than Lundy, Dubi, Cally, Sauer, Mcd etc so way do we have to say that. Right now we need to improve this team and keeping Vinny P around does not do that regardless of his points, did he step up in the playoffs? no
is anyone entertaining the idea of not bringing Lundqvist, Dubinsky, Callahan, Sauer or McDonagh, so I'm not sure what point is you aer trying to make.

Prospal was among the group of forwards who did not step up in the playoffs, yes. he is not among the group who didn't step up in the stretch drive that got them to the playoffs though. in fact he lead that charge.

Quote:
I mean, are we trying to win games next year? If we go out and get Richards, that would signal yes. If that happens, then we fill our roster with the players most likely to help us win games.

Developing young players is great and all but at some point we need to place the emphasis on winning now.
even if you don't care about winning now, filling a roster up with as many inexperienced players as possible is a poor way of developing them. experience and leadership are often viewed as mirages here, but I can spot an absence of it when I see it. this teams GF/GA didn't match up with its W/L record, and that's because it didn't know how to win the close games, because it is a very inexperienced roster. I want more Prospal's, not less. if the only veteran the kids have to look up to is a loser like Gaborik, we're in trouble.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

see, i dont want just Richards...i want them to get Richards AND make a trade for another impact forward a-la Iginla, or Nash, or someone of that ilk.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:56 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
even if you don't care about winning now, filling a roster up with as many inexperienced players as possible is a poor way of developing them. experience and leadership are often viewed as mirages here, but I can spot an absence of it when I see it. this teams GF/GA didn't match up with its W/L record, and that's because it didn't know how to win the close games, because it is a very inexperienced roster. I want more Prospal's, not less. if the only veteran the kids have to look up to is a loser like Gaborik, we're in trouble.
I agree 100%. Well, not the "loser" Gaborik bit, but the rest.

If Chris Kreider, Evgeny Grachev or even Carl Hagelin is ready replace the production of a guy like Prospal, that's fantastic. If they earn a spot on the team, then they'll be on the team. But I think we're at the point now where we're ready to take the next step and start making moves to make us a contender, and that does not entail letting all your veteran players walk because you're hoping rookies can step up.

And I guarantee you that Brad Richards would rather we re-sign Vinny Prospal for another year than let him walk so Chris Kreider has a spot reserved. Not just Richards, but any veteran player for that matter.

It's just pain.
Old
05-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yep.

Worst case scenario here is we lose maybe 1.5-2 mil in cap space.

Prospal's upside of 55-60 points to this team is huge. I'm not the guys biggest fan but his production here is impossible to ignore.

We want skill up front? With our cap situation we dont have a ton of options and Vinnie is a very viable one.

But I expect he'll be Shanahaned and end up signing with another club about halfway in next season.

05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
But I expect he'll be Shanahaned and end up signing with another club about halfway in next season.
Hope not, he's a perfect fit with a Richards acquisition. Cheap, skilled, not dumb.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I agree 100%. Well, not the "loser" Gaborik bit, but the rest.

If Chris Kreider, Evgeny Grachev or even Carl Hagelin is ready replace the production of a guy like Prospal, that's fantastic. If they earn a spot on the team, then they'll be on the team. But I think we're at the point now where we're ready to take the next step and start making moves to make us a contender, and that does not entail letting all your veteran players walk because you're hoping rookies can step up.

And I guarantee you that Brad Richards would rather we re-sign Vinny Prospal for another year than let him walk so Chris Kreider has a spot reserved. Not just Richards, but any veteran player for that matter.
richards might be happier if we dump Prospal, Fedotenko, Wolski, Avery, Boogaard, etc and use that cap space, and some trade bait to get someone else in here to help him, a-la iginla, nash, etc.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
richards might be happier if we dump Prospal, Fedotenko, Wolski, Avery, Boogaard, etc and use that cap space, and some trade bait to get someone else in here to help him, a-la iginla, nash, etc.
Sure, that's true. My point is that if we want to become contenders and lure a guy like Richards to NY, we'll have to establish a veteran presence. Rather than allowing everyone to walk so rookies have a spot.