HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Getting respect

Old
05-06-2011, 01:51 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The reason why I started rooting for the Predators is because I love these fans
The funny thing is it wasn't all that long ago that we were taking flak because of thinking like 'hockey doesn't belong in Nashville', 'Nashville doesn't have fans' 'they don't sell out the arena so move the team' etc etc.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:15 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Nashvillians may not agree on everything, but one thing we can agree on is we don't like others coming in and saying negative things about us--especially if they haven't even been here. There were a lot of good things going on in Nashville that were misrepresented--as much by OUR newspaper as by other outlets.
Most of the Canadian media has never been here so they just sit there and write what they think is going on. Wednesday on the news all of them showed this one guy from the Globe and Mail saying how he and all the Canadian media were just so impressed with what was going on with the team and fans and city. They had no clue about the passion of our fans/city because they had never been here and only got their info from what they saw on TV or heard from so called experts.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Tetrastar

I recall a game between Vancouver and Nashville earlier in the year, where I was completely blown away by how loud the Nashville crowd was. I couldn't believe the amount of chants/jeers you guys had, and my wife and I spent most of the game trying to figure out what they were haha. After seeing the game I was instantly sold on Nashville being a strong fanbase that has every right to be in the NHL.

These playoff games have shown me even more. Your team has such a terrific future and have cornerstones that 29 other teams are highly envious of. (Suter-Weber imo are the best shutdown paring in the league, while Rinne is a brick wall) Backed by such a passionate fanbase, there is nowhere to go but up.

Whats scary is how much better you can be once the owners decide to pump more money into the franchise. Which they will no doubt do after the current playoff run ends (Whether that be in the 2nd 3rd or 4th round)

It is of my opinion that If the preds continue on the path they are on, they are going to be one of the more successful/respected teams in the league for years to come.

Tetrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrastar View Post
I recall a game between Vancouver and Nashville earlier in the year, where I was completely blown away by how loud the Nashville crowd was. I couldn't believe the amount of chants/jeers you guys had, and my wife and I spent most of the game trying to figure out what they were haha. After seeing the game I was instantly sold on Nashville being a strong fanbase that has every right to be in the NHL.

These playoff games have shown me even more. Your team has such a terrific future and have cornerstones that 29 other teams are highly envious of. (Suter-Weber imo are the best shutdown paring in the league, while Rinne is a brick wall) Backed by such a passionate fanbase, there is nowhere to go but up.

Whats scary is how much better you can be once the owners decide to pump more money into the franchise. Which they will no doubt do after the current playoff run ends (Whether that be in the 2nd 3rd or 4th round)

It is of my opinion that If the preds continue on the path they are on, they are going to be one of the more successful/respected teams in the league for years to come.
Thanks! This means a lot.

I don't think hockey will ever be as big in Nashville as is in some established or traditional markets, but that can be a blessing in disguise. The game can remain accessible to the fans (as opposed to the corporate bigwigs--although in Nashville, they seem to be having a pretty good time!) and that will, in turn, grow MORE fans. As long as the sports are supported well, then having 2 or more pro sports in a town just makes it more fun to live here. Sometimes building an audience takes awhile. The better it's built from the ground up, though, the more likely it is to sustain itself during the rough times.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Machinehead
Hanta Yo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
The funny thing is it wasn't all that long ago that we were taking flak because of thinking like 'hockey doesn't belong in Nashville', 'Nashville doesn't have fans' 'they don't sell out the arena so move the team' etc etc.
That's what I thought, and then Nashville taught me otherwise.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:18 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 View Post
With that said, maybe the CBC turns down the crowd audio because the last game seemed way below your standards. Any season ticket holders care to clarify?
I think they are trying to cut out the Tootoo whistles. I don't know if it's just the CBC that has problems with that, I never recall them being anywhere near as noticeable (or as distracting) during Sportsnet broadcasts.

That being said - these playoffs have really been a coming out party for the Preds fans and organization. It's been a pleasure watching these last two games at Bridgestone Arena and obviously the city has done a great job hosting the playoffs from what I've seen.

I think Nashville is unfairly lumped in with some other teams when people talk about the NHL having trouble in the South. Where teams like Florida, Atlanta, Phoenix and the Islanders are pretty much perennially scraping the bottom of the attendance barrel the Predators are never in the bottom five and this year were over 90% capacity; a lot of that has to do with winning but credit is certainly due to the Preds fanbase as well.

Anyway here's hoping that these extra games of playoff revenue help the Preds continue to build on what they've accomplished.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:47 PM
preds1

vCash: 1548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrastar View Post

Tip of the hat to you sir, thank you.

The only upside from the game 4 loss was I was able to hold the door for Keith and Nicole on the way out of the suite level. Walked out with Bettman too after game 3.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
I have always respected you guys. It's amazing how much your organization can do while spending below the cap and not ever just going for lottery picks, and how patient your fan base is about this. And Weber and Suter are two of my favorite players.

It's Columbus that we Canadians don't respect

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post
I have always respected you guys. It's amazing how much your organization can do while spending below the cap and not ever just going for lottery picks, and how patient your fan base is about this. And Weber and Suter are two of my favorite players.

It's Columbus that we Canadians don't respect
Sigh. One crazy old uncle slips his leash and we never hear the end of it...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:40 PM
bbud

I have not heard any thing but respect for Nashvilles team and organization through Vancouver media the fans held opinions that the Preds were a scary oponent in a playoff , Trotz is a well respected coach and the team is solid gritty and makes you earn what you get .
nice to see a solid fan base there that is taking to hockey and that is after a slow start and issues that could have easily been excuses not to support the team.

bbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 06:12 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Nothing but mad respect to the fans.

The sea of yellow or yellow out is awesome.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

Caps fan on the Preds bandwagon says y'all deserve all te respect Trotz earns you. Underrated team, underrated fanbase.

GO PREDS GO!

I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Mother Pucker

There was also an article in french Montral media about your fanbase:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...du-country.php

It is in french, but to sum it up, the journalist points how hockey has risen up to be a serious attraction in Nashville, and how the fans there are really passionate and actually know the game quite well. He also mentions how some players have found their niche there, partly because of management, partly because of the type of market.

I have to admit I was impressed myself at how loud the crowd was in the Nashville games...I think we should start to consider the Preds in the succesful expansion category from now!

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Augscura

Isles fan here living in Western Canada, full of smug cocky canuck fans, and even they show signs of respect towards you guys so keep it up!

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
pddigi
Rookie User

And the players love it here

My youngest son played his first year of organized hockey this past season and was fortunate enough to have three sons of Predators as teammates (Francis Bouillon's twins Michael and Anthony and Steve Sullivan's son Garner). Francis's wife Ginette is a hoot. Among her funnier lines was this (in heavily accented Frenglish): "I now know the deeference between Montreal and Nashville. Montreal have 500 hockey rinks and 2 churches, Nashville have 2 hockey rinks and 500 churches."

Anyway, she was explaining how going out to dinner in Montreal was a mixed blessing: they could get seated anywhere without waiting, but then had to endure endless critiques of the Canadiens' play from other diners. In Nashville, she feels normal - has to wait for a table, isn't recognized unless Francis is there, and can eat a meal in peace. Add to that the respect the players have for Trotz, the nice climate, the low cost of living, and all the other amenities Nashville offers (big league entertainment and dining without the big city hassles), and it's a desirable destination for players.

Atlanta is too big and hockey just doesn't get a big enough slice of the pie in that market. Florida is bad year after year - hard to get excited about hockey when it's never really winter and the team stinks. We have a great arena, great fans, solid management in Poile and Trotz, and great new ownership. They have had to work to build the sport here, so going to the games is FUN, much more so than any other sporting event I have attended (and I grew up in Philly and attended games in the '70's and '80's there). It's a great situation - can't believe we are four years removed from almost losing the team.

pddigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:30 PM
sabresandcanucks

I'm a Canuck fan who simply cannot get mad when you guys defeat us. As with everyone in this thread I have so much respect for both the team and fans from Nashville.

I have one question though, when did Kevin Klein get this good? I mean, he isn't a top pairing guy, but man...I have been blown away with how much he has improved since last year. His skating, hitting, and tenacity are great.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I'm a Canuck fan who simply cannot get mad when you guys defeat us. As with everyone in this thread I have so much respect for both the team and fans from Nashville.

I have one question though, when did Kevin Klein get this good? I mean, he isn't a top pairing guy, but man...I have been blown away with how much he has improved since last year. His skating, hitting, and tenacity are great.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got better the second Trotz took him off a pairing with Dan Hamhuis.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Pucker View Post
There was also an article in french Montral media about your fanbase:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...du-country.php

It is in french, but to sum it up, the journalist points how hockey has risen up to be a serious attraction in Nashville, and how the fans there are really passionate and actually know the game quite well. He also mentions how some players have found their niche there, partly because of management, partly because of the type of market.

I have to admit I was impressed myself at how loud the crowd was in the Nashville games...I think we should start to consider the Preds in the succesful expansion category from now!
Y'all need to read this. I was going to edit it so it was English like we'd read it, but I'm lazy and you can figure it out:

(NASHVILLE) Nashville is the capital of Tennessee. Nashville is especially the capital of country music, with her countless bars where succeed one another, of the survey of the sun up to the bedtime of the moon, of musicians who dream to be the fellow Johnny Cash, the fellow Willie Nelson, next Loretta Lynn.
Nashville is not the capital of ice hockey. It will never be it. But after one last week indoors and around Bridgestone Arena, it would be necessary to be blind, deaf and especially of very bad faith not to underline that Nashville - the amateurs of ice hockey rechristened it "Smashville" - the capital of ice hockey in the south of the United States certainly became. And that the passionate supporters who support Predators with a comparable fervour to the one who enliven those of Montreal, Boston or Philadelphia, like ice hockey, are fond of ice hockey and know ice hockey now.

« I cannot any more there to hear of commentators linking the name of Nashville to the cities which experience difficulty, as Atlanta and Phoenix. Their reality has got nothing to do with ours. Ice hockey is alive and very extremely here », beat Franco-ontarien Steve Sullivan, crusader in the cloakroom of Predators, on Tuesday morning, at the time when the Mecca of country music got ready with the aim of the third match of series Predators-Canucks.

« I assure you that our supporters are also good as in the best cities of the league. I am happy that they confront a Canadian team. CBC is here, you are numerous come from Quebec and this is going to allow us to prove to what extent ice hockey is solid here », added the hockey player native to Timmins, which discovered Nashville in 2004.

After Paul Kariya and Peter Forsberg, Predators gave a big blow this winter to bubble their popularity by acquiring Mike Fisher, Senators of Ottawa. Very good player of ice hockey, Fisher is especially the husband of the country singer Carrie Underwood, first lady of Nashville. The presence of the couple, and especially the singer with a majority of the local matchs represents additional attraction for the amateurs of ice hockey of Smashville.

Radical changes

If they trust in two matchs competed between Canucks and Predators this week, Sullivan was right. Entirely!

Before - matchs swarm about with activity around the amphitheatre. There is certainly music. There are also young persons who play ice hockey-bullet, but also the oldest which, in exchange for a $5 donation, can fling three blows of mass on a minoune at the colours of Canucks.

Inside Brigestone Arena, they are far from the morose parties which marked the first visits of the Canadian after the birth of Predators, in 1998. The team must have introduced ice hockey. After an offside, a refused clearing, a penalty, from bands videos were cast on the huge screen to explain to the supporters what took place under the eyes while they lived it up in bleachers.

Today, it is always holiday. But bands explicative videos gave up the place in as amazing animation as amusing.

When Paul McCann - Michel Lacroix des Predators - last minute of game at the end of period announces, the 17 113 supporters answer of a trait: « Thank you Paul! »

When he announces the beginning of a massive attack for the opposing team, the same 17 113 answer unison: « They are really rotted... »

If, in Montreal, purposes of the Canadian are underlined to the rhythm of U2, in Nashville, the 17 113 supporters reach their voice with that of the big star Tim McGraw, and sing « I like it, I coil it, I want some more of it » by dancing in bleachers transformed into true yellow sea: 99 supporters of 100 quickly made to endorse the yellow T-shirts which waited for them on their seat.

Unprecedented in Montreal...

Beyond music, of holiday, of animation which makes laugh, the reactions of the fans show that they really know what takes place on the ice.

When the referees close eyes on an offence or that they are too strict towards one of theirs, the supporters make sure to inform about it. When there is a purpose, a solid causing to fail, or a stop shining with Pekka Rinne, the amateurs get up certainly.

But they also got up to greet with wide applause Nick Spaling after the winger had dived in front of a shooting to help the reason of his security guard.

And it stands that they follow the end of meetings, after the third pause granted in the télédiffuseur.

An emblem

« They are parties from a distance, from far away, but we became a true good team, a true good organization which evolves in a true good city of ice hockey », throws the ancient coach-leader Terry Crisp, analyst of the matchs of Preds since their arrival in Nashville.

Crisp has doubted for a long time. But after seven years, it accomplished a change which gave life in ice hockey in Tennessee.

« During our seventh season in Nashville, the number of young persons evolving in ice hockey minor is crossed from 200 to 2000. I immediately said to the leaders of the team that it was necessary to give tickets to these young persons, because they would drag their parents with them. Our team improved and, of thread in needle, we became one of the charm of the city », told Crisp, during the first intermission of the match of Thursday.

Today's successes do not erase all trials of the first years. At certain instant, Predators was in the test pattern of the Canadian businessman Jim Balsillie, who would have taken them out quickly made by Tennessee.

But if bleachers are filled - a stockist asked $for 300 for a ticket for the match of Thursday, and he acquired it - the quotations of listening on the television in regular season are very slim. Serial successes nevertheless allowed to fill them, but they are far from the successes of RDS, TSN or CBC in Canada.

« There is no more danger », assures Terry Crisp. Refusing to reveal his source, the analyst relates a dialogue with one of the new owners, to support his claim. « He told me whom his accountants wanted it to him to have agreed to board into the adventure of Predators. All his successes in the business world could be mined by this adventure in which he could hardly make his expenses. He answered me that he had not bought Preds to make some silver, but to give in the city an emblem, additional tourist attraction. The Titans (NFL) are very in the list of popularity above. Predators competes with the big teams of football and basketball of the Universities of Tennessee and Vanderbilt now. It is huge as ascent. This proves that they are now part of sports morals of the city. It remains only to win. »

Old
05-08-2011, 12:36 AM
CloakroomCrusader

That was one of the funniest things I've ever read. Thank you for not editing it! Steve Sullivan will now be known as the crusader in the cloakroom of Predators. Crispy is the ancient coach-leader. From now on after goals I will sing "I like it, I coil it, I want some more of it." And I will not be saying "sucks" during the starting lineup, I will valiantly yell "They are really rotted!"

CloakroomCrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:26 AM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Oh man. I lost it during that article. That's just awesome.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Reasons I think we are succeeding-

1. We bring our college football passion and cheering to the hockey rink, while understanding the game pretty well.

2. Our team is, you know, good. You look at teams like Atlanta, Florida, and Phoenix who have really not been good overall for the past 10 years. Poile and Trotz made this happen.

3. The move the Preds deal brought us together. It became an "us vs the world" thing, and we embraced that and tried to prove everyone wrong.

4. Tennessean's are good, honest, hard-working people (for the most part). The Preds embody that, and its tough for people to idolize Vince Young and Pac-man Jones.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:53 AM
cbjerrisgaard
Finger Biter

Your fan base earned my respect. I fully admit I was ignorant to the hockey market that is Nashville prior to this playoff run. Win or lose in the series with the Canucks - Nashville has nothing but my utmost respect. Well played gents and ladies...

cbjerrisgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Fogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post

I think Klein got a lot better once Bouillon started playing regularly with him

Fogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:54 AM
meanolthing

Caps fan coming in peace. I second the yellow-out at home games, just looks incredibly cool, especially on tv. USA Hockey Magazine had a nice article written about Nashville recently, in case you missed it. Seems like a fun place to catch a game.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjerrisgaard View Post
Your fan base earned my respect. I fully admit I was ignorant to the hockey market that is Nashville prior to this playoff run. Win or lose in the series with the Canucks - Nashville has nothing but my utmost respect. Well played gents and ladies...
Obviously you are NOT really rotted, despite what we may say about your starting lineup and your power play.

Thanks!