HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-05-2011, 07:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Gmgm is the one who believed beech's and girioux's ahl success van be translated into NHL success. And he beat his head against that rock until it was obvious to the most ignorant fan. If your a scorer, you're a scorer. Just about as dumb as comparing regular season to playoffs. A success at one level doesn't mean success at another. Gmgm is the first hockey person I ever heard equating regular season to playoffs. And my ahl to NHL transference is just as dumb.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Icetime

At least the curtain has been pulled back.

Our coach may be incapable, but our GM is the man responsible for running this ship into the rocks.

The problem being that it's daylight, the seas are calm and the rocks are on the map.

We have a lunatic who doesn't mind losing over and over and over at the helm.

This is a good example of why the idea of a Mutiny came about.

Yikes.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Capitlols

^To add. People give BB a lot of praise for his minor league success. However, BB coached a talented and dominant-regular-season team in the Manchester Monarchs to 4-straight early playoff exits(iirc all 1st round). Subsequently he was fired. Hopefully, management opens their eyes.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:30 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
At least the curtain has been pulled back.

Our coach may be incapable, but our GM is the man responsible for running this ship into the rocks.

The problem being that it's daylight, the seas are calm and the rocks are on the map.

We have a lunatic who doesn't mind losing over and over and over at the helm.

This is a good example of why the idea of a Mutiny came about.

Yikes.
Well even teds take said there was a mutiny. But they're cool with it. When they players don't listen to their leaders it's cause they have more faith in their instincts than the strategy.

Old
05-05-2011, 07:33 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
^To add. People give BB a lot of praise for his minor league success. However, BB coached a talented and dominant-regular-season team in the Manchester Monarchs to 4-straight early playoff exits(iirc all 1st round). Subsequently he was fired. Hopefully, management opens their eyes.
Not really the best example given what he did when he left. Coaching in the A is much different than coaching in the NHL. Money and top flight players with opinions and experience adds a dynamic you can't replicate.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...d-rr-headlines

McPhee: Any changes likely to come from within

"I don't think anything's missing," McPhee said. "We played a team that played better than us in the second round. It happens sometimes. I think we have a good team and we'll just keep trying to make it better."

So there we have it....his master plan is apparently to let our UFAs walk and replace from within. Is this the masterful offseason we're hoping for? Let's get even younger?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...d-rr-headlines

McPhee: Any changes likely to come from within

"I don't think anything's missing," McPhee said. "We played a team that played better than us in the second round. It happens sometimes. I think we have a good team and we'll just keep trying to make it better."

So there we have it....his master plan is apparently to let our UFAs walk and replace from within. Is this the masterful offseason we're hoping for? Let's get even younger?
His 'stay the course' and 'build from within' has lead to regression. I've said it before, I really feel he has an arrogant self-belief in his drafting. Its been good no doubt, but its so brutally obvious we need external acquisitions. Starting with a coach.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
His 'stay the course' and 'build from within' has lead to regression. I've said it before, I really feel he has an arrogant self-belief in his drafting. Its been good no doubt, but its so brutally obvious we need external acquisitions. Starting with a coach.
McPhee's complacent optimism sounds more and more like a delusional egotism with every line of ********* he spews.

I lost respect with the 24/7 quote and after today I'm just as convinced he's been just as big of an issue behind the scenes as Bruce is.

They aren't going to win until they're replaced and it may take years to remove them because season tickets have already been sold.

Sad.

Last edited by EroCaps: 05-05-2011 at 11:13 PM.
EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
McPhee's complacent optimism sounds more and more like a delusional egotism with every line of ********* he spews.

I lost respect with the 24/7 quote and after today I'm just as convinced he's been just as big of an issue behind the scenes as Bruce has.

They aren't going to win until they're replaced and it may take years to remove them because season tickets have already been sold.

Sad.
I really don't see why his ego takes a hit by firing Bruce. Or, if he insists on keeping Bruce, why one big signing or trade takes away from the good work he has done in the draft. That is, after all, part of what makes a GM good. I don't think it's an ego thing, I think he really wants to keep us as contenders for the long haul and really believes in these players. As do I, by the way. It's BB I don't believe in. Something needs to change, that much I know.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Atlas

George McPhee is Baghdad Bob. Get him the Hell out of D.C.!

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Atlas

Go Bolts!

Old
05-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
I supposed Lidstom, Holmstrom, Franzen, Kronwall, Osgood, Howard, Fillupla, Helm.... just to name a few, are bad draft choices?????

FYI: A few of those players have 4 Stanley Cup rings.

Later.... this is just getting dumber and dumber.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Dream Big

Who are all these nut bars? It's like the loons have been let loose from the asylum.

Like Wideman getting a hematoma is the GM's fault? Green taking repeated hits to the head knocking him silly is the GM's fault? Poti MIA all season is GMs fault? Backstrom and Knuble breaking thumbs is GMS fault? Carlson getting injured is GMs fault?

Rolly the goalie was masterful in knocking his goal off it's moorings, losing his helmet at opportune times, needing equipment adjustments, skating out into our players.
Tampa did it all, held sticks, played physical, skated, skated, skated.

It's disappointing, very disappointing. We all are feeling it.

Chill out already.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:19 AM
MoJoSauce

DC is not Chicago. Our GM isn't focused on lets win a cup this year and then trade half our assets off next season to the trashers.

Yeah **** didnt go well this season, it was not GMGM's fault. Players got hurt and and we lost in the 2nd round. Our team seems to be dispelled by teams that play the trap, as we simply can't beat it.

I'd like to see BB back next season and instead of preaching defense or offenese, him preach a solid team focused play. PP showed signs of disunity along with many other facets of the team. We have the cogs, we just need to fit them into the right places and BB can do that.

I don't understand how you can call this year a regression aside from the fact we didnt win the presidents consolation trophy. We have good young pieces and more seem to be emerging in kuznetzova, eakin, and orlov(thanks GMGM for being so ****** and supplying such future **** talent)

As caps fans I am sick and tired of the gloom with the losses and the extreme highs with the wins. Take games for what they are, and one of these days Ovi will grow into the ultimate team player he is meant to be. And the day that happens a lot of "caps fans" will be eating crow, but it is simply going to take time and patience and a hint of luck

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:29 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
it was not GMGM's fault.

Yes it was. You're wrong.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Atlas

You know, the Caps really are a disaster. I'm sure Ted is a nice and jolly Uncle but he is ridiculous when directing an NHL organization. His personality is all wrong for this purpose.

I really mean it. It's not even a criticism, really. He's just not cut out to orchestrate a champion. He's much too passive--much too merciful.

A great owner will be absolutely obsessed with winning the Stanley Cup. He looks beyond his ego and popularity. For a great owner, the only virtue is winning. That's never going to be Ted. He has built a brand. His brand will probably make money and be entertaining--but it won't win Stanley Cups.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I'd like to see BB back next season and instead of preaching defense or offenese, him preach a solid team focused play. PP showed signs of disunity along with many other facets of the team. We have the cogs, we just need to fit them into the right places and BB can do that.
I can't think of any reason why that hasn't been done from day one.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:17 AM
txpd

i wonder what laviolette has been preaching in philadelphia for the last 60 days without any effect. it the old "you can lead a horse to water...", thing.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I didn't expect GMGM to get on the excuses train but he's doing it. I'm wondering if he's campaigning to save his job? I didn't think his would be in jeopardy yet but he may seem to think so.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I didn't expect GMGM to get on the excuses train but he's doing it. I'm wondering if he's campaigning to save his job? I didn't think his would be in jeopardy yet but he may seem to think so.
Its flat out sad. Even Ted is on the excuse train, they're instilling a culture of excuses and some people on these boards are buying it.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i wonder what laviolette has been preaching in philadelphia for the last 60 days without any effect. it the old "you can lead a horse to water...", thing.
word out of philly is that he worked them like dogs during the month of march, in practice, as far as trying to get them into "playoff shape".

it appears, by reports, that gassed them.

pronger missing is also a pretty big problem, but that doesnt excuse some of the problems with the forwards overall play.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:29 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Who are all these nut bars? It's like the loons have been let loose from the asylum.

Like Wideman getting a hematoma is the GM's fault? Green taking repeated hits to the head knocking him silly is the GM's fault? Poti MIA all season is GMs fault? Backstrom and Knuble breaking thumbs is GMS fault? Carlson getting injured is GMs fault?

Rolly the goalie was masterful in knocking his goal off it's moorings, losing his helmet at opportune times, needing equipment adjustments, skating out into our players.
Tampa did it all, held sticks, played physical, skated, skated, skated.

It's disappointing, very disappointing. We all are feeling it.

Chill out already.
Excuses mean crap to the people who are long time fans of this team. Excuses are for LOSERS.

I will say this...Roloson's stall tactics were a joke and the refs kept letting him do it.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Its flat out sad. Even Ted is on the excuse train, they're instilling a culture of excuses and some people on these boards are buying it.
It's a lot easier to be a lemming when you fall in line, do what you're told and don't ask questions.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:32 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It's a lot easier to be a lemming when you fall in line, do what you're told and don't ask questions.
Your rebellion against authority...it's...it's just so hot.

05-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Mickstix

Ive not read the thread, but my opinion of GMGM dropped significantly after reading that he thinks there's no difference in a regular season coach and a playoff coach.. That just seem moronic to me? Even to the most novice of fan, it's apparent when BB gets matched up against a decent team, for a series of games, he gets his ass handed to him.. He doesnt make adjustments at all, and when it goes bad he always plays the bad bounce, poor officiating, hot goalie card..

If GMGM doesn't think it's time for someone new to be coaching the team, then imo, he needs to be fired as well.. He's not had the best track record for hiring coaches either.. I loved the deadline moves this year, but even his draft philosophy of staking the team with prospect euros who are mentally fragile and dont play agressive (NHL) style hockey is also alarming.. Im up for new blood at GM and Coach, as well as moving 19, 28, 52, 55 if we could find any takers.. Unfortunately they're making too much $ (and are far too inconsistant) for anyone to be interested, imo..

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote