HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Put in JP, maybe O'reilly

Old
05-02-2011, 11:42 PM
predfan24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't want to come off as being argumentative for the sake of it here, but we came into the play offs with a, while hot at the time, streaky offense. We put pucks in the net against Anaheim enough to win the series, but they had terrible defense and goaltending. Now we're playing the only team who allowed fewer goals than we did. They also scored the most goals in the league. I'd love it if we could find a way to chip in three or four goals per game the rest of the way, but I just don't think we can do it against this team. Even if we could, we've seen the Preds completely get away from defensive responsibility when they start producing 3+ per night.

I'm with those who say stand pat for now. Keep the same line up. Keep the same style. It's working. We stole home ice advantage, and we're coming back home after playing a pretty good game. We're still in good shape. I'd be more worried if I were a Canucks fan watching my team only score one goal in each game. As a Nashville fan I guess I'm used to it

This is our game though. Low score. Tight checking. Stay in their faces. Force them to outwork us along the boards and in front of the net to win. I like our chances if we can keep doing the things that got us here (and that won us a game Saturday)

I don't expect us to score 3 or 4 goals every game. But we are going to have to score 3 goals or more in at least one game probably two this series to win. I really believe that. I think the games at home is where that's the most likely. I don't think we can win this series by winning every every game 1-0, 2-1. Even if we do a good job defensively on the Canucks the rest of the series they are too talented. They are going to have a game or two when their offense gets rolling and produces some goals.

I'd like to see Dumont in for Sully but as Slake said it's just not going to happen. Hali isn't going to sit. He's earned his spot in the lineup. I think Dumont in the lineup gives us our best chance to win but I've accepted barring an injury it's not likely to happen.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:47 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Why is JP Dumont not playing? I used to always have him and Arnott ( i know he's not on the preds anymore) on my yahoo fantasy team.
His play has been questionable the last two years and he's been in Trotz' doghouse. But, he was arguably the best player we had vs Chicago last year. And he was money for us in the two games he played vs Anaheim. And, he's had the most career playoff success of any player we have. And we've scored .5 goals per game so far. So, hence the discussion...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:52 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I'd like to see Dumont in for Sully but as Slake said it's just not going to happen. Hali isn't going to sit. He's earned his spot in the lineup. I think Dumont in the lineup gives us our best chance to win but I've accepted barring an injury it's not likely to happen.
If we had lost in OT on Sat night, I would have fully expected Trotz to put in Dumont.

Geofferion is the one I'd sit, but he's playing center. I know Halischuk has played center but hasn't lately. Geofferion is playing so little now (7min/game), it's not like taking out Fisher.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:27 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
If we had lost in OT on Sat night, I would have fully expected Trotz to put in Dumont.

Geofferion is the one I'd sit, but he's playing center. I know Halischuk has played center but hasn't lately. Geofferion is playing so little now (7min/game), it's not like taking out Fisher.
When was the last time Hali played center? I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting him out there in a position he might be uncomfortable in even if it's only for 7-9 minutes a game.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:18 AM
glenngineer

Dulz, while we're only scoring 1 goal per game average, not .5 like you said earlier, guess what, Vancouver is doing the same thing. There have been 4 goals scored total in this series. 2 for them and 2 for us. While you say Rinne kept us in the game on Saturday and we got lucky, what about Thursday? We had no business being in that game but they got lucky if you want to base any of this on luck. They outplayed us Thursday and were rewarded with a one goal win. We outplayed them on Saturday and were rewarded with a one goal win. We played one of the best games I've seen us play on Saturday. This is the lineup that has been getting it done for us the last 20-30 games for the most part. While I'd like to see more goals too, I think defense is going to be the key this series and the guys we have in the lineup allow us to play that style a lot better. I think if you insert Dumont for Halischuk you lose speed and defense for a little offensive creativity for about 7 minutes a night. It only takes a few seconds for teams to mount an attack and score. I'd rather take my chances with Hali in the lineup than JP at this point and I like JP. I also don't think you pull Ward because he's one of the main penalty killers for us so I don't see that happening any time soon either. There's a reason Trotz has these guys out there and while inserting JP, Wilson or O'Reilly might create more offense, it also might allow Vancouver more time and space on the ice which might create more offense for the twins and I like the fact that they've been pretty quiet up until now. We know they put the puck in the net, are the guys we put in assured of putting up the O? Not necessarily.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Legionnaire11

While Dumont may be an offensive upgrade over Halischuk or Geoffrion, I don't think it's those kids who are the offensive problem with this team. SK, Leggy, Fisher, Erat, Hornqvist... they are the guys who need to start putting it in the net. And hopefully coming back to Nashville with a big win in their pocket and a chance to take control of the series, will get them going again.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:01 AM
KitchenerRangersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
When was the last time Hali played center? I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting him out there in a position he might be uncomfortable in even if it's only for 7-9 minutes a game.
I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he has never played centre, or at least he never did in junior with the Kitchener Rangers, and that was only a few seasons ago (07/08).

KitchenerRangersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
If SK could play like he has a sack, we wouldn't even need this thread. The guy was arguably our best offensive player all season, and has been terrible in this series. He's looked timid, his passes are slow and into traffic and hasn't even thought about putting one on net. Come on lil guy!

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Dulz, while we're only scoring 1 goal per game average, not .5 like you said earlier, guess what, Vancouver is doing the same thing.
I'm referring to regulation. Playing into double overtime you are playing a game in a half.

Yes, Van is only scoring 1 goal a game, do you think they are happy about it? That won't win them the series either.

Their offense certainly has a better chance of breaking out than ours. Rinne has been God. I expect him to keep up a high level of play, but there is no way he continues to make exceptional save after save like it he did in OT.

We have got to find ways to score more goals. Scoring .5 a game in regulation is not going to win the series. If we are complacent with this, we will lose.

Quote:
This is the lineup that has been getting it done for us the last 20-30 games for the most part.
Dumont was in the lineup with significant contributions in games 5 & 6. There is a chance we don't get past the Ducks without Dumont.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I can't see us making changes as glen stated. It makes little sense. I also think that unless Sullivan gets hurt that he is in the lineup. Sullivan has clearly been the weakest link on our forward corps, but, he also had two monstrous goals in the last series. Can we really bench him after that? Geoffrion has had a tough series thus far, and yet, he brings it every night and has tremendous hockey sense. I don't want to see him benched. Halischuk has speed, tenacity, and his effort is unquestionable. He has done nothing to be benched and scored the OT winner last night....

With that said, part of me wants to see Wilson play. He is built to be a force in the playoffs. I would love to see him compete. As bad as Dumont has been, I think he has more in the tank than Sullivan, and when they were paired together in game 6, they looked great. It wouldn't hurt to see him in the lineup. O'Reilly was arguably our best offensive player at the beginning of the season....What could he do for this team?

All this means is that we have depth. Lets hope we do not need the depth, but if we have to use it, it might actually turn out to favor our team. The only forwards that we need to remain healthy are the top 5 IMO Legwand/Erat/Hornqvist/SK/Fisher. If any of those 5 miss a game, I do not think we can adequately replace their contributions on the ice.

05-03-2011, 01:50 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher View Post
If SK could play like he has a sack, we wouldn't even need this thread. The guy was arguably our best offensive player all season, and has been terrible in this series. He's looked timid, his passes are slow and into traffic and hasn't even thought about putting one on net. Come on lil guy!
SK has had bad this series. I thought he was 'pretty good' against the Ducks, had a couple of nice assits that resulted in goals. He has less room against the Canucks. But even scoring goals at a non-Predator like pace vs the Ducks, we still needed the Dumont boost in games 5 & 6.

Dumont won't solve all our issues. SK, HornQ, Legwand, etc all have to get their act in gear as well if we hope to advance. The Cancuks offense will break through eventually, even if it's only a partial breakthrough.

If we had lost in OT, I fully would've expected Dumont in the linuep. We won and now we things are looking pretty good with a 1-1 series heading home. But, should our fortune in OT last Saturday affect addressing some key areas of weakness?

Old
05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
All this means is that we have depth. Lets hope we do not need the depth, but if we have to use it, it might actually turn out to favor our team. The only forwards that we need to remain healthy are the top 5 IMO Legwand/Erat/Hornqvist/SK/Fisher. If any of those 5 miss a game, I do not think we can adequately replace their contributions on the ice.
When Erat was out in games 5 & 6, Dumont more than replaced Erat's contributions. He helped win the games.

I'm not suggesting sitting Erat. He has played with more fire than most our players and is creating opportunities.

Old
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
When Erat was out in games 5 & 6, Dumont more than replaced Erat's contributions. He helped win the games.

I'm not suggesting sitting Erat. He has played with more fire than most our players and is creating opportunities.
C'mon JP, quit posting on the forums....Trotzy doesn't read this thing before the games..

Last edited by PhoneGuy: 05-04-2011 at 01:00 AM.
PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
glenngineer

Quote:

But it was Halischuk that was playing on the line with Ward and Legwand, not JP. JP and Sully had some magic, you are correct. No doubt about it. Would they have the same magic against Vancouver. Debatable. What if one of the top 6 wingers goes down and we had pulled Halischuk out of the lineup, is JP or Sully the answer? Once again, debatable. I realize we need more offense, so does Vancouver.

Remember this, offense comes and goes but defense is usually more stable. I'll take my chances with our D being stable and Rinne playing like he has than weakening our D in the hope that the O wakes up and Rinne can still stand on his head. It's a risk either way. We went to Vancouver and got the split. I think that's exactly what we wanted and got. Now it's time to take care of business at home. Check back after Thursdays game and we'll see where we're at with this. I think to change anything at this time is the wrong move. I do hear your concerns, I just don't agree that now is the time to do anything about it.

Old
05-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I think, if he is healthy, we should play over Sullivan. He was doing some great work before he got injured.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:43 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Well now you may get your wish....

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:40 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Well now you may get your wish....
My wish is to be create and capatise on offense. Without generating more offense, we will lose. Hopefully Wilson helps, but still think we should find a way for JP, our most proven playoff producer. Geofferion is playing allright, but he's not generating offense. But it doesn't look like it's going to happen..

Old
05-06-2011, 02:03 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I believe it will happen now with Smithson out for Saturday.

Both Wilson and JP should be in...we really have no choice now. I mean we still have O'Reilly, but he hasn't played in any game since Jan 2.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:09 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I believe it will happen now with Smithson out for Saturday.

Both Wilson and JP should be in...we really have no choice now. I mean we still have O'Reilly, but he hasn't played in any game since Jan 2.
Do you think we'll move Wilson to center? Somebody's gonna have to do it if we're not gonna put O'Reilly in. I don't think you can realistically throw him in there after not playing since January.

It'll be interesting to see how things go with both JP and Wilson in there on Saturday. I noticed Trotz had Wilson out there for the last shift of the game tonight after the timeout. Quite the vote of confidence.

We'll see...

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:11 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Wilson was flying last night

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 07:45 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Wilson was flying last night

Sometimes, you just need a wake up call (like not playing at all in the playoffs after playing all season long).

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Wilson was playing pretty hard. I think benching him was a great decision. Didn't Suter get scratched for his first NHL play off series, too? Spent the entire time in the weight room bulking up

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
afrobomber11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Somebody's gonna have to do it if we're not gonna put O'Reilly in. I don't think you can realistically throw him in there after not playing since January.
why not put in o'reilly? he was one of the best preds before he went down, if hes healthy enough to be in the conversation to play then hes been praccying at the same pace as everyone else, throw him in, could be a needed boost

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:14 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
why not put in o'reilly? he was one of the best preds before he went down, if hes healthy enough to be in the conversation to play then hes been praccying at the same pace as everyone else, throw him in, could be a needed boost
Actually, he was one of the worst. He started the season on fire but cooled off terribly, then got hurt.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:21 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Wilson was playing pretty hard. I think benching him was a great decision. Didn't Suter get scratched for his first NHL play off series, too? Spent the entire time in the weight room bulking up
Spot on. Trotz even mentioned the Suter comparison.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote