HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards news thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Or Boomer did talk about him going to the Rangers and he said he can't remember because he knew they'd ask what he said if he said yes and wanted to avoid those questions, brilliant!

05-03-2011, 04:47 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

I actually though about that seriously for a second while he was on ^.

05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
acapps10

i had heard from my dad that richards comes to new york/long island over the summer for a few weeks to play golf every year. i don't remember where he heard it just thought i'd pass it on, but i'd take it with a grain of salt lol

Old
05-03-2011, 06:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Gaglardi is in the middle of a 30-day exclusive negotiating window, according to several sources, that is expected to end in late May. At that time, lenders who own the Stars will be able to shop Gaglardi’s offer around to see if other potential buyers might want to exceed that offer. Others who have been interested in buying the team are Dallas businessman Doug Miller, Dallas businessman Billy Quinn, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, and Calgary businessman Bill Gallacher. Miller, Quinn and Gallacher have declined comment, while Cuban has said he is mostly interested in the Stars so he can get full control of American Airlines Center.
Quote:
Monarch Investments is the lead lender and also was the lead lender in the sale of the Rangers. Because the group of lenders could be as many as 40, it is expected that the Stars will have to go through an organized bankruptcy hearing once an offer is agreed upon. All involved are hoping they will be able to take care of any auction situation before moving into the courts, and that the bankruptcy hearing can be closed within three days, as the Chicago Cubs did in 2009.

The Rangers’ bankruptcy went through several days in court that spanned almost two months in the summer of 2009.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...medium=twitter

Rangers bankruptcy was in the summer of 2010.

Gaglardi will probably get a fee if the team is sold to another party. Stalking horse.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:44 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by acapps10 View Post
i had heard from my dad that richards comes to new york/long island over the summer for a few weeks to play golf every year. i don't remember where he heard it just thought i'd pass it on, but i'd take it with a grain of salt lol
Joe Micheletti said that when the Rangers were in Dallas this season.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...medium=twitter

Rangers bankruptcy was in the summer of 2010.

Gaglardi will probably get a fee if the team is sold to another party. Stalking horse.
for a second there I forgot about Texas and thought Dolan actually went through bankruptcy

Old
05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Yeah I saw the words "sale of the Rangers" and my eyes lit up.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Puckhog27

Do you really want to give another big contract to a guy to get him to come to the Rangers for a few years when his best years are likely behind him? Personally I think this is why the Rangers never seem to get better. It's even worse in the salery cap era.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:16 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I said NY, not NYC. Westchester is nice and being close to Grinburgh is more important than proximity to MSG. Practices come more often than games anyway. Westchester have high property taxes, but those could be written off Federal, overall no comparison to NYC.
Players are taxed on where they make their living which is in NYC.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
Do you really want to give another big contract to a guy to get him to come to the Rangers for a few years when his best years are likely behind him? Personally I think this is why the Rangers never seem to get better. It's even worse in the salery cap era.
So you wouldn't have wanted Marty St. Louis on your team the last 4 seasons then, right? Teemu Selanne? Nick Lidstrom? Their best years were clearly behind them years ago Not every UFA in the league is Gomez/Drury/Redden... I wish people would look past those players.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Salary cap era...playoffs 5 out of 6 years.

Seven years prior to salary cap...no playoffs.

Not quite.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
So you wouldn't have wanted Marty St. Louis on your team the last 4 seasons then, right? Teemu Selanne? Nick Lidstrom? Their best years were clearly behind them years ago Not every UFA in the league is Gomez/Drury/Redden... I wish people would look past those players.
Yeah well what exactly are those teams doing? Tampa barely beat a Pittsburgh team that has no real offense to speak.

Lidstrom I might make an exception as he is one of the greatest defenseman to ever play, but on the Rangers I doubt he could do much to turn this team around the way it is. From what I've seen in the NHL in most cases you have to be bad to be good. To get bad enough to get a high draft choice you have to give up signing these older players who may not be done, but aren't going to turn your team around to compete for the cup either. Your really need a couple really good young players to do some damage. If you look at Tampa they have Stamkos. The Rangers don't have a young guy like that.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Yeah well what exactly are those teams doing? Tampa barely beat a Pittsburgh team that has no real offense to speak.
"Barely" winning doesn't have any significance when your team is advancing, does it? Philly "barely" beat out Boston last year and they made it all the way to Game 6 of the SC Finals. Whether you win in 4 games or you win in 7, winning is winning.

Quote:
Lidstrom I might make an exception as he is one of the greatest defenseman to ever play, but on the Rangers I doubt he could do much to turn this team around the way it is. From what I've seen in the NHL in most cases you have to be bad to be good.
Detroit didn't have to be bad. New Jersey didn't have to be bad to win 3 Cups in less than 10 years, did they? Carolina Hurricanes did not have any abundance of elite talent the year they won the cup. They had a hot goaltender and a team with terrific chemistry and played their best hockey at the right time.

Quote:
To get bad enough to get a high draft choice you have to give up signing these older players who may not be done, but aren't going to turn your team around to compete for the cup either. Your really need a couple really good young players to do some damage. If you look at Tampa they have Stamkos. The Rangers don't have a young guy like that.
Exactly, the Rangers don't have players with that skill level, that's why you have to fill those talent holes through free agency. New York will never let their team finish dead last in the league, the fans would NEVER allow that to happen either. There is too much pressure to win and perform, they won't have it. So if that's the only way you feel the team will ever accomplish anything, by finishing last and hoping elite talent is available in the draft, I hope you're not going to be too disappointed, because that won't be happening any time soon.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Leetch66

Avery & Richards are buds ? Hmmm...I did not know that . LOL...things could get nasty here on the Island this Summer if Sean visits as his ex and Dion have a very nice cottage here . Oh well...they are all adults and should be able to all get along .

I think Avery might be the type of guy we will need to play with a guy like Richards . He could add some mustard to a line and he has the wheels as well .

Old
05-03-2011, 09:00 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
"Barely" winning doesn't have any significance when your team is advancing, does it? Philly "barely" beat out Boston last year and they made it all the way to Game 6 of the SC Finals. Whether you win in 4 games or you win in 7, winning is winning.

Detroit didn't have to be bad. New Jersey didn't have to be bad to win 3 Cups in less than 10 years, did they? Carolina Hurricanes did not have any abundance of elite talent the year they won the cup. They had a hot goaltender and a team with terrific chemistry and played their best hockey at the right time.

Exactly, the Rangers don't have players with that skill level, that's why you have to fill those talent holes through free agency. New York will never let their team finish dead last in the league, the fans would NEVER allow that to happen either. There is too much pressure to win and perform, they won't have it. So if that's the only way you feel the team will ever accomplish anything, by finishing last and hoping elite talent is available in the draft, I hope you're not going to be too disappointed, because that won't be happening any time soon.
And if they some how did it doesn't guarantee a franchise player.

It's kind of similar to the NBA. You can be in the lottery and still walk away with a good talent but the Lebron's, Wade's, Kobe's, Durant's and in this case, Stamkos, Crosby, AO....aren't going to be there every year.

To me there's franchise player then there's very good player.

You have to get lucky.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:39 AM
Puckhog27

Quote:

I don't think there is anywhere you can't accept losing for a bit. The GMs here just seem to always think they can buy their way to the cup, but it doesn't work. I can't say there are any players I really like on the Rangers a lot which is sad. There hasn't been for a long time since guys like Leetch, Zubov, Kovalev, Graves, Messier, Richter, etc. If brining in Brad Richards would really put the tam over the top I wouldn't mind, but I just don't see it happening. You just end up with more another crazy contract thrown out by the Rangers proving they aren't ever going to get anywhere. The Devils have always found ways to draft good talent even in the later rounds like Parise. The Rangers have not been able to do that. On top of that they don't sign players to crazy contracts unless they are really elite players like Kvolchuk who is still pretty young. This team is nothing like the Devils or Detroit IMO. Those two teams have been able to draft and sing good players for resonable prices. They also seem to be much better at putting together a good group of players.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:46 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The fact is we have a good enough core that we're a playoff team but not good enough high-end talent to push us over the edge.

The days of tanking or the possibility of it are over. Now's the time to make SMART FA signings to complement our core.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Zil

Quote:
I don't think there is anywhere you can't accept losing for a bit. The GMs here just seem to always think they can buy their way to the cup, but it doesn't work. I can't say there are any players I really like on the Rangers a lot which is sad. There hasn't been for a long time since guys like Leetch, Zubov, Kovalev, Graves, Messier, Richter, etc. If brining in Brad Richards would really put the tam over the top I wouldn't mind, but I just don't see it happening. You just end up with more another crazy contract thrown out by the Rangers proving they aren't ever going to get anywhere. The Devils have always found ways to draft good talent even in the later rounds like Parise. The Rangers have not been able to do that. On top of that they don't sign players to crazy contracts unless they are really elite players like Kvolchuk who is still pretty young. This team is nothing like the Devils or Detroit IMO. Those two teams have been able to draft and sing good players for resonable prices. They also seem to be much better at putting together a good group of players.
If you don't really like any of Lundqvist, Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, Stepan, and Anismov, then you're in the extreme minority here.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
If you don't really like any of Lundqvist, Staal, Callahan, Dubinsky, Girardi, Sauer, McDonagh, Stepan, and Anismov, then you're in the extreme minority here.
They are good players appeal to me much. I don't mind them being on the Rangers, but there are other young players that I would much rather have on the top two lines or top defensive pairing who are both better players and more charasmatic.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:39 AM
beastly115

Quote:

Lidstrom I might make an exception as he is one of the greatest defenseman to ever play, but on the Rangers I doubt he could do much to turn this team around the way it is. From what I've seen in the NHL in most cases you have to be bad to be good. To get bad enough to get a high draft choice you have to give up signing these older players who may not be done, but aren't going to turn your team around to compete for the cup either. Your really need a couple really good young players to do some damage. If you look at Tampa they have Stamkos. The Rangers don't have a young guy like that.
lol what? Tampa's about to go to the ECF.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:11 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
I don't think its that they can't look past the Gomez/Dury/Redden type players...it's the guy who gave them those contracts they are "ascared" of

Old
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I don't think its that they can't look past the Gomez/Dury/Redden type players...it's the guy who gave them those contracts they are "ascared" of
Partially, but the argument was against the production of these players if you give them a long-term contract while they're in their 30's. I don't think Lidstrom, Selanne or St. Louis are good examples. They are prime talents on prime teams for the most part.

Every NYR fan is scared of those contracts because it seems that every player that comes to NYR (star or not) does not thrive here. There's only a few that do. That's really the scary part.

It seems a 100 pt player on Detroit is equal to a 70 point player here. It seems ridiculous, but it's just funny because I don't think it's much of a misconception.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Partially, but the argument was against the production of these players if you give them a long-term contract while they're in their 30's. I don't think Lidstrom, Selanne or St. Louis are good examples. They are prime talents on prime teams for the most part.

Every NYR fan is scared of those contracts because it seems that every player that comes to NYR (star or not) does not thrive here. There's only a few that do. That's really the scary part.

It seems a 100 pt player on Detroit is equal to a 70 point player here. It seems ridiculous, but it's just funny because I don't think it's much of a misconception.
I guess it's the chicken or the egg theory...I agree with Wolf and tend to believe that Sather has not made good choices, prime example Gomez and Dury were not 1st line players but because they were the Best Available he offered them contracts befitting 1st line guys.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:28 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
I guess it's the chicken or the egg theory...I agree with Wolf and tend to believe that Sather has not made good choices, prime example Gomez and Dury were not 1st line players but because they were the Best Available he offered them contracts befitting 1st line guys.
thats always the fear...you need to pay guys based on their value, not how they compare to other free agents. we've made that mistake many times in the past, even back in the neil smith days, where you paid a 2nd/3rd liner like a 1st liner or a 3rd pair dman like a #1 dman and besides screwing up the cap/payroll it also puts unfair expectations on those players.

in the case of brad richards, he is a legit #1 center and its not just cause he's the best guy available...but there are definitely times when standing pat and waiting it smarter than going after the best guy available at that moment.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:56 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

I don't see many people talking about what Richards said on NHL Live, but his comments didn't sit well with me in terms of our chances of getting him. Just by his comments alone, I would speculate his #1 option right now is Tampa. It seems like he really, really just wants to win. And I could see him taking a significant pay cut to go back there and build on their playoff success from this year. He never really wanted to leave, his buddies are there, and they're in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Obviously all speculation, but even though he was in NY, I feel worse about our chances after that visit.

Closed Thread