HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF|Game 4|Washington Capitals @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 05-04-2011 - 7:00PM

Old
05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
If each guy on the team got as much out of his native talent as John Erskine gets out of his, we'd still be playing.
I think all caps fans AND tampa fans were stunned there was no penalty or penalty shot. But upon watching the replay, that was a damn impressive play. Maybe a rough could be called for slamming him down to the ice to complete the abusement. But otherwise his hustle to catch the guy, the stick check and the body slam, all at full speed, was something a few of his buddies on the blueline should take note of.

Its a lesson that showed simple hard work hustle and intensity can and will trump skill. A lesson in what every player needs to do to win in the playoffs.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Semin

vCash: 500
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=364717

Article what Ted Leo said.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:38 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
for him, its not about those things. just leaf thru the gdt threads and view the consistant criticism of ovechkin during these playoffs. stupid, lazy, predictable, standing there watching and so on and so forth.

you missed all of that? this is supposed to arguably the best player in the world. he is the captain of the team. he is guilty of all those mistakes put forward by those posters and when someone suggests that he be held accountable, the answer is that he wasnt that bad afterall?

is the upshot that those criticizing ovechkin thru these playoffs mean to say a new coach corrects all that?
actually, no, i didn't miss any of it. i read each GDT, each time, start to finish.

i was responding to your own flat assertion that backstrom and ovechkin "need to be let go."

those are massive proposed changes which are, at the very least, worthy of debate and discussion.

even if we assumed for the sake of argument that you are right and they both need to be moved, there are obvious logistical issues. these players have extremely long contracts worth tens of millions of dollars. there is the basic question of who is ready to trade for them, and what we get in return.

is your solution to deal these two players, but keep Boudreau and/or McPhee?

is your position that because a player is routinely criticized in GDTs, then they ought to be dealt? if so, then we should look to move some or all of the following players: semin, green, schultz, erskine, varlamov, neuvy, carlson, laich, sturm, knuble, fehr, perrault, sloan, bradley, and boyd gordon.

further, is your position that "being held accountable" = being traded? that is implied by your post. i think it's incorrect. there are ways to hold a player accountable without trading him. in ovie's case, you could start by taking away his C. you could reduce his ice time. if you were leonsis or boudreau or mcphee, you could say publicly, "he is our captain. he's accountable for this."

the truth is, txpd, there are at least 5 good ways you can hold a player accountable without dealing him.

maybe you are right, maybe 8 needs to go. however, i think your own initial comment was the one made in the heat of the moment, the one which doesn't stand up to analysis. there are Caps players who absolutely and unquestionably disappeared during the Tampa series, and did not help us at all. i wouldn't put Ovie in that class. erratic, maybe. a mediocre leader, maybe. trying to do too much by himself, sure. but he was also our best player. and it's worth remembering that there are players still alive in this year's playoffs about whom the same things have been said at various times in their career, including thornton, marleau, and lecavalier.

i would not trade Ovechkin or Backstrom. i do wish GMGM had given the latter a contract for half as long as he did. if for no other reason than to make him more dealable down the road.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=364717

Article what Ted Leo said.
I think this is what he said:

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
txpd

oh...you should know me by now. i am a conservative. i dont knee jerk as a rule anymore. i dont look for a lot of roster movement. i dont expect a quick trigger on firing and trading and cutting coaches and players.

i dont think either 8 or 19 are tradeable. if they are its right now. another season like this one and neither of them will be tradeable. thats a fact. so, if it is to be done, now is the time. one more likely than both and neither more likely than one.

what i am saying is that you can change all the coaches and all the players except those two and if those two remain largely where they are right now, then very little will get changed.

i have a selection of comments that help me conclude this, but lets just look at this as a hypothetical.

bruce has wanted to use Oveckin in front of the net and tried him there. the reason that it never lasts is that Ov doesnt want to play there. he's not comfortable there. bruce can force him there, but that doesnt produce anything and reduces enthusiasum.
so he moves him back to where he was.

lets say bruce is fired and hitchcock comes in and moves ov there and wont move him back. either ovechkin sees the light and loves it or he hates it and hates the coach and loses his enthusiasum and the whole exercise is counter productive. then these boards will be chock full of yashin comparisons and worse.

its almost never as cut and dried as we think it is. it could be that backstrom's confidence or his commitment to the game has changed. it could be that he's overweight and he's not interested in changing that. would you not consider trading him?

it could be that backstrom is hurt and needs the offseason to heal or for surgery. my response to that would be completely different.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its a lesson that showed simple hard work hustle and intensity can and will trump skill. A lesson in what every player needs to do to win in the playoffs.
Erskine does all of that, and he's smart to boot. That goal he scored last night is a consequence of the fact that he gets the puck on net virtually every time he shoots. He makes getting the puck on net the primary objectives, and varies the speed and force of his shot, depending upon the angle he's got and the quality of the shooting lane -- i.e., he adjusts to the situation presented to him, something that a number of our stars consistently fail to do when shooting.

Tuesday night - Semin took 7 shots and hit the net once. Green took 8 shots, only 3 got to the net.

Last night - Semin took 6 shots and hit the net twice. Ovy took 18 shots, hit the net 5 times.

Overall last night, out team had 78 shot attempts and hit the net 36 times (and a decent chunk of the shots where we did hit the net came from at or over the redline as part of our "tactics"). Tampa had 54 shot attempts and hit the net 37 times.

It's mind-boggling to me, that a professional hockey team can't even get 50% of its shot attempts on net in an elimination game.

Other numbers tell the story last night -- we had 14 giveaways and 2 takeaways (Tampa was 7 and 9). We had 11 blocked shots; Tampa had 22. Those numbers tell you all you need to know about where the intensity and commitment was last night.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/ES030214.HTM

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:08 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Good points Marcel. I did notice that a bunch of our best scoring chances off the blades of our scorers, went wide. One theory which may be in play. That old crafty vet Rolo had sealed up that side, knowing there wasnt a snowballs chance in hell that we would pass and make them pay for playing our shooters out and so aggressively. Picking a non existent corner, following the just shoot it a hundred times we are desperate directive, the only opening is... wide of goal.

I think it should be re-noted that our collective passing all year was atrocious. Ovi appeared to me to go out of his way to pass much more this year, yet he never fully developed that part of his game (it will take years). So he resorted to old Ovi, easily seen with 18 shots attempted. NHL12 Caps overall passing rating... 42.

Gotta love Erskine with his point shots. He has easily got the best shot of all our LD's. Glad he scored; I think he hit a post too. He had his ups and down this playoffs but since he upped his game, hit and played with intensity, I grade him a B-.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-05-2011 at 01:13 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:50 PM
GijsGroenland

I'm very sad that we lost. But really looking forward to next season to see all our guys shine again. Going to try and see as many Caps games as possible next season in the Netherlands.

Go Caps!

GijsGroenland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Efactor

In the Playoffs, Backstrom looked like Circles!

Watch the tape.

He never drove in the zone with speed.
He curled off right inside the blueline, when he could get in at all as slow as he was going.
He didn't shoot much or with intent.

We can't get rid of him, but need him to be better. What has to be done?

Let me hear your thoughts.

Efactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Fallschirmyager

He looked like two different players from the previous year to this. It's not just a down year for him. Something is awry and it kept him from being who he was. Maybe part of it was the new contract. Another might be a nagging injury etc etc. I do think we'll get the 100 pt "type" player back next year.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Efactor

Agreed. He played 3 hours 48 minutes and 35 seconds in the playoffs including tons of power play time. He produced 2 assists.

He should be the focus of the off-season as much as anything. Send a trainer to Sweden. Demand he come back at 190 lbs and ready to go.

Efactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Like Circles?

He actually was decent in the playoffs a few times.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:50 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I think this is what he said:

I believe he said your username, as well.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote