HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 WCF Game 4 - Vancouver at Nashville - 830PM EST - Wake Up! Edition

Old
05-05-2011, 11:31 PM
JacklegJack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Ward scored a great goal.......don't get me wrong, but thank God he did, because he was spinning circles on the goal before and was completley lost!
I'd rather have him "spinning circles around the goal" waiting to be set up than being completely invisible. He always seems to be part of the play right when we need someone to step up, which is more than I can say about most of our forwards these last few games. Yeah, the Preds do play a different style, a style that works for them. Getting 3 to 6 shots on goal per period isn't that style and it's certainly not going to work. Cut the fancy crap, we've never been a flashy team. Push hard to the net and get a lot of pucks on Luongo. The Canucks defence isn't amazing, I don't know why this has suddenly become such a problem (but in all fairness, if our guys could actually HIT the net the shots would be a lot closer than they are on paper)...

Last edited by golfmade: 05-05-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Don't attack other posters.
JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:36 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfeezy View Post
Ward was the best player on the ice IMO
Ummmm, no...... Kesler was the best player on the ice. Oh, in Preds colors - it was Franson. Marty and Spaling and Fisher were our best Fs. Ward has had a crummy series. He was better tonight, but he needs to be on the Smitty line; course, guess no Smitty line for game 5.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:38 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Knock off insulting and attacking each other. It's one thing to disagree but attack the message not the messenger.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
I didn't really see Wilson much to comment on his play, what did everyone else think?
Wilson played ok. He was in the right place most of the time. He used his body some. Tried to carry through the neutral zone few times he shouldn't have. Earned more ice time for game 5. Needs to park his big body in front of the net, or at least slide into those quiet zones when the puck is down low so he can pop a quick shot.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:41 PM
JacklegJack

Spaling and Erat, ok I can see where you're coming from. But Fisher? The Ducks series is long gone, he's been a ghost against Vancouver. Ward has been our best forward, no debate about it. Sure, he hasn't been the most consistent, but in a series this close it's all about who can score you that clutch goal right when you need it, and he's a guy getting it done.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
Wardo is a boss. He's the kinda guy that can push an already good team over with clutch play and grittiness. Reminds me of Esa Tikkanen. Although, he won't carry the team obviously, which is why the Preds are struggling.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Reviled*
Partisan

The Trotz 'defense-first-last-and-only' system has largely been rendered ineffective in that:

When the preds are in the O-zone, especially on the sidewalls, the Nucks play 5-on-3. meaning they commit all five players to the immediate action area. This results in 5 or 6 guys jabbing and poking at the puck on the wall, with 2 Nucks 10 feet away towards the center of the ice for support when the puck comes free. Meanwhile, the Preds D-men are lounging at the blue-line.

Amazingly, the puck comes loose to a waiting Nuck and they move out of the zone.

We don't do this. We give up the boards far too often.

Reviled* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:17 AM
theLightmanGroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
this.... so much....

and for the person who suggested that his coach teaches diving in lacrosse and it happens in all sports....wow..i can tell you're not from around here.

think of our rivalry with detroit or chicago or anyone else in the central, or hell, even anyone else in the west. hard, bitter..... but not like this.
no one is like this bunch of punk ass..... and it starts at the top with their smarmy coach....laughing about suter and embelishing in the post game conference.

we played with nothing in the tank after smitty got smashed up..... but to lose to a bunch of these ****** *******s....
Good ole' Canada is where I'm from. There is strategy to every game, this is just one real and unnerving thing in sports and deny it as much as you can. There diving, cup checks, helmet poking, etc. Stuff like this happens all the time to gain a competitive advantage against the other team. Might as well stop cursing and having pests in hockey.. oh well.

theLightmanGroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:19 AM
predfan24

I think we're done. Winning three against the Canucks isn't happening. We are 4 games in to this series and except for game 2 Vancouver has been the better team in all the games. They aren't straight up dominating and every game is close but they are playing better. Even when the games are tied you just get the feeling it's just a matter of time.

In the simplest sense Vancouver is Nashville, except they have impact forwards to go along with their depth at forward, We have depth at forward but just not any impact forwards. We all knew coming into the series if both teams are playing to their potential the Canucks were better. But that didn't really matter because all that matters is who is better over a 7 game series. Well unfortunately the Canucks are playing confident and great hockey right now. You can see it in their play. They expect to win.

The Preds aren't playing bad but they just can't keep up. They can't get their good "feelings" going and create momentum for long stretches because it always seems like if we score a goal or something and get some momentum the very next few shifts Vancouver comes out shuts us down and gets the better of the play.

I'm always disappointed when the Preds lose in the playoffs. But this year I'm not angry like previous years. If we would have lost to the Ducks I would have been angry because we were clearly the better team.

It is always sobering every time we get close to getting knocked out though because I get thinking that we will always be over matched talent wise every time we try to advance through the playoffs. We will always have to rely on goaltending and defense and timely scoring.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:25 AM
cleangene

Winner of the 2011 Ron Wilson Horses A## Coaching Award is.........Alan Vino. Anyone who heard his post-game conference with the media knows exactly what I'm talking about. It's easy to see why some of these nucks act the way they do on the ice.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:32 AM
canucks95

It's been a tight and hard fought series 'till the end of every game Preds fans, it's not that you guys haven't played well, you have, its just that when a really good team goes up against a "Great" team in a long series, you tend to see weaknesses in your team that you normally wouldn't.

Don't be be frustrated about coaching, in my opinion Trotz is the best coach in the NHL, I would be thrilled if he were the coach of the Nucks.

Keep your heads high and cheer your team on, your guys battled hard, win or lose this series, you were in every game and put up a fight.

All you a lacking is a real legitimate top-line center up front (Brad Richards anyone, if you have the "Internal cap room") put him with a budding young winger like Wilson up front, Fisher and others as secondary scoring, with that stacked D and stellar goaltending, you are a big time contender for many years coming.

Take care guys, have a good night.

canucks95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:52 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

franson,blum,weber,smithson

yeah, need to tone it down a bit.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:13 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think we're done. Winning three against the Canucks isn't happening. We are 4 games in to this series and except for game 2 Vancouver has been the better team in all the games. They aren't straight up dominating and every game is close but they are playing better. Even when the games are tied you just get the feeling it's just a matter of time.

In the simplest sense Vancouver is Nashville, except they have impact forwards to go along with their depth at forward, We have depth at forward but just not any impact forwards. We all knew coming into the series if both teams are playing to their potential the Canucks were better. But that didn't really matter because all that matters is who is better over a 7 game series. Well unfortunately the Canucks are playing confident and great hockey right now. You can see it in their play. They expect to win.

The Preds aren't playing bad but they just can't keep up. They can't get their good "feelings" going and create momentum for long stretches because it always seems like if we score a goal or something and get some momentum the very next few shifts Vancouver comes out shuts us down and gets the better of the play.

I'm always disappointed when the Preds lose in the playoffs. But this year I'm not angry like previous years. If we would have lost to the Ducks I would have been angry because we were clearly the better team.
+1. Good post. I would love to see them win on Saturday just to have one more chance to see them here, win or lose.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:34 AM
AEM6729

So disappointing.

I agree that we're done in this series. Not because we're down 3-1 heading back to Vancouver, or because they have many more talented players than we do, or because we have a bunch of guys who were supposed to be key players on the bench with injuries, or because our special teams have been atrocious...although those are all legitimate reasons. To me, we're done because our team is playing as if they're already resigned to defeat.

I'm really tired of hearing Trotz talk about resilience. If we are so resilient, why does EVERY bad penalty we take result in a goal? If we are so resilient, why do we look so sluggish and disinterested for stretches of a ****ing playoff game? If we are so resilient, why do we continue to make the same mistakes...especially on the PK...over and over and over? Resilient my ass. Maybe we were resilient in the regular season, but I think everyone knows that regular season success isn't enough for this franchise anymore.

I'm proud of this team for making the playoffs and for getting out of the first round. And there's no shame in us losing in the second round to the President's Trophy winners...IF we lose by playing our best game and are simply outmatched. But that's not what's happening. We aren't playing anything close to our game.

I noticed a definite difference immediately after the Canucks' first power play, even though we killed it off. We were noticeably less physical after that, as if we were scared of a penalty being called on us. NOBODY was finishing their checks. Invisible primadonnas like Kostitsyn (who better be hurt, BTW, or there's just no excuse for his disappearance) can't even be bothered to check at all. We gave the Canucks all the room in the world. We lost EVERY battle along the boards.

Yes, the officiating was bad. The call on Klein was lame. The call on SOB sucked; the only reason there was contact at all is because Lapierre was interfering with him...the puck was a million miles away. I didn't see the Suter penalty but it's really unfortunate they missed Fisher getting a stick in the face that drew blood.

But none of that matters. Resilient teams kill that **** off. They stay committed to their system. They move their ****ing feet. They finish their checks. They clear the crease. We aren't doing any of the above. And the players that are supposed to lead us...Fisher, Kostitsyn, Weber, Hornqvist, Sullivan...haven't done ****. Kesler's goal in particular was embarrassing.

Our performance after we tied it up was embarrassing. We should've been all over them, pumped up, ready to take this game. Instead we looked sluggish, tired, lazy...and then comes a penalty call and instead of saying hell no, we are gonna kill this **** off, we look like we're feeling ****ing sorry for ourselves and play lazy ass defense and give up a goal. What the ****?

Like I said, if we lose this series after playing our ***** off, there's no shame in that. But we're going out like *****es. And I am NOT okay with that at all. Earlier I said "And there's no shame in us losing in the second round to the President's Trophy winners...IF we lose by playing our best game and are simply outmatched." It's like the Preds think the same thing, except they forgot the last part of that sentence. It's like they've decided they expect to lose to these guys and they're cool with it.

This sucks for me, but I'll be back next year. I don't know if I can say the same for all the non-hockey fans who got excited about the team making the second round and bought tickets only to sit through two games of that ********.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:37 AM
raad_luongo

Hey guys you have great fans in nashville there is no doubt about that. I understand your frustration but some of you guys should stop posting these dirty posts on these boards. Its going to make your whole fan base look bad, I know being a canucks fan so dont ruin it for everyone.

You guys have a great team with great ownership and great fans. Your time will come, now that you have a solid foundation and are selling tickets you will finally be able to spend up to that cap and your team will be that much better.

Nashville has only been in the league for about 12 years and are make great strides compared to the other expansion teams. My team has been around for 40 years and still no cup so be patient with your team and be patient with your players. They are playing there hearts its just not there time yet.

raad_luongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:12 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I tried to sleep but I'm still mad and wide awake.

I didn't see the intensity out of every player that we needed. I wish guys would stop looking for the pass and just shoot the damn puck. Put it on goal! Or at least aim for the general net area. You can't score by passing to the wall when there is NO ONE THERE! And you can't score by passing to the middle when there are 5 Canucks and 2 Predators there!

And why do we continue to try to enter the zone 1 on 4? It NEVER works. I guess when you allow it to happen every game you expect it to work for you as well.

We got beat to pucks, too. Instead of going after the puck, half the time it looked like we were waiting for the puck and the Canuck player just jumped in front of him and took the puck away.

Nice goal by Franson. He just stood there with his arms in the air waiting for everyone to figure it out and come hug him, lol.

I wish people would realize his name is FRAN-son. It's NOT Frahn-zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
Since Canuck fans listen to him for a signifcant portion of the season...

According to Ron McLean, the Preds are a "team of rejects". Wow, he is a really astute hockey observer.
Are you serious? He really said that? *******.

Yeah Weber, Suter, Klein, Blum, Fanson, Legwand, Erat, Wilson, Hornqvist, Tootoo, Geoffrion, Rinne, Lindback, O'Reilly, Spaling are all such rejects that they are playing for the team that drafted them. And I'm pretty sure Fisher has only been traded once and was in high demand. Maybe Ward or Kostitsyn or O'Brien or Smithson could be considered rejects but 3 of those were only traded once. But yeah, a team of rejects. Weber is such a reject that he was probably the best Canadian Dman in the Olympics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I really cannot stand anything about Vancouver. Nothing. not a ******* ****ing thing. I can't stand hearing their fans happy. I can't stand their stupid logos. I can't stand their team. I can't stand their style. I can't stand the diving. I can't stand the excuses for diving. I can't ****ing stand it...
Good thing you weren't at the game. I have NEVER in my life seen such drunk-ass ignorant *******s in my life. PLEASE give me Red Wing or Blackhawk or Maple Leaf or Flyer fans ANYDAY. (Some were good, like the Canuck fan couple that rolled their eyes at the one group of Canuck fans yelling "Stanley Cup!" to the Preds fans...they commented that the Preds and Canucks had the same amount of Cups.) It's a shame that the lame losers are the ones that come here and give the rest a bad name. They have absolutely embarrassed themselves and the rest of their fan base and the team. Although I will say the ones that were here on Tuesday were slightly worse than Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
no one is like this bunch of punk ass..... and it starts at the top with their smarmy coach....laughing about suter and embelishing in the post game conference.

we played with nothing in the tank after smitty got smashed up..... but to lose to a bunch of these ****** *******s....
Yeah he had the "audacity" to talk about people complaining about embellishment when he and his GM did THE SAME THING AGAINST CHICAGO! He laughs during his press confs. when they win but after a loss he can't show his face he has to have his asst coach do the press conf.

It was Kesler that elbowed Smithson in the nose. And got Fisher with the high stick. I used to like him as an American. But I have lost all respect for him. And Burrows is a damn disgrace. Anytime he gets breathed on he looks to the refs and whines for a call. I guess Smithson should have thrown his head back and flopped onto the ice like he got shot instead of carrying on with the play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Yes, the officiating was bad. The call on Klein was lame. The call on SOB sucked; the only reason there was contact at all is because Lapierre was interfering with him...the puck was a million miles away. I didn't see the Suter penalty but it's really unfortunate they missed Fisher getting a stick in the face that drew blood.
SOB was following through with his shot. Someone tell me again that there is no high stick penalty for following through with the shot? He took the shot and on the follow through the Canuck player came up high on him and that shoved OBs stick up high.

Klein got called for a crosscheck, but when one of their players tackles one of ours in front of the net it's nothing.

I mean it's sad that when on a national pregame show, the host asks the guest, "What does Barry Trotz need to do to get the team a win?" and the guest (A Canadian game analyst) says "Get some help from the officials" and the guest host (a current NHLer) says "They sure haven't had any in this series."

If they are going to call it one way, call it BOTH WAYS!!!!

I'm not going to say I'm cheering for the Sharks because our team is dumb enough that they'll go out and win when no one expects them to fight anymore.

See y'all Monday.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Tetrastar

First and foremost, I want to comment on how terrific it is to see such Passionate, Knowledgeable hockey fans in Nashville. Count me as someone who believed Hockey in Nashville was a bad idea when the NHL decided to expand to your city in 1998. I am happy to be proven wrong.

This series still could go either way. The games have all been close affairs, which tells me this series is by no means over, and a few lucky bounces Nashville's way, could quickly make this a long series.

I usually don't comment in opposing teams GDT's but I feel the need to comment on this post, just to clear things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Yeah he had the "audacity" to talk about people complaining about embellishment when he and his GM did THE SAME THING AGAINST CHICAGO! He laughs during his press confs. when they win but after a loss he can't show his face he has to have his asst coach do the press conf.
While Mike Gillis complained about the officiating of the Chicago Series (I still believe it was a tactic done to take the pressure off his team) The Coach remained tight lipped refusing to comment. Alain Vigneault has never gotten his Assistant coach to take his place during press conferences following a loss, and yes he does like to laugh when being interviewed. I recall him laughing quite a bit, a few years ago when Vancouver lost something like 5 straight games and being shocked he found it so amusing haha.

Anyways, its been an entertaining series so far, and my respect for Nashville as a Hockey Market has increased significantly. I'm sure we can all agree that Game 5 can't come quickly enough.

Until next time.

Tetrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:40 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Not the post game presser, the next days presser that he's supposed to have.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Tetrastar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Not the post game presser, the next days presser that he's supposed to have.
I don't doubt you, but is there any chance I can get a link to one of these next day pressers? I don't think I've ever seen a presser done by Bowness. I'm now suddenly very intrigued!

Last edited by Tetrastar: 05-06-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Tetrastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:58 AM
AEM6729

Doesn't really feel any better this morning. Depressing.

The thing that sucks the most is that a lot of people who weren't previously into the Preds bought tickets to Game 3 and/or 4, and I'm not sure the team offered enough for a non-fan to be willing to come back.

Hopefully we can somehow win tomorrow...even though the series will still probably be over, at least we can have another game on home ice and cash in some extra revenue one more time.

Now I have to go to sleep in preparation for work tonight...unfortunately, in my job I can't just show up tired and off my game or my patients die. Must be a nice luxury for the Preds!

Old
05-06-2011, 09:59 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Last night's game showed me we need a player that can carry the puck into the zone and generate scoring chances. It's a shame Radulov pulled his stunt, he's exactly what we need, a legit offensive player. When Mike Fisher is your best offensive player, you're going to struggle, especially against a tight trapping team like Vancouver.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:13 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Last night's game showed me we need a player that can carry the puck into the zone and generate scoring chances. It's a shame Radulov pulled his stunt, he's exactly what we need, a legit offensive player. When Mike Fisher is your best offensive player, you're going to struggle, especially against a tight trapping team like Vancouver.
I wish we could get Brad Richards. That'd be epic.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think we're done. Winning three against the Canucks isn't happening.
To be fair, a lot of Hawks fans were saying the exact same thing, word for word - and look what happened.

I love the Canucks, but my glasses aren't SO blue-and-green tinted that I can't see they are capable of some pretty amazing collapses.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:17 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
I've been on this board a long time(although my involvement in the last year has been minimal). I remember the excitement of our first playoff appearance in 2003-2004. I remember coming here hoping for news that the lockout was ending. I remember coming here and being super excited we got Paul Kariya. I Remember when we got Peter Forsberg. Etc. Those are all memories I have. However, what I don't ever remember is Nashville fans whining, making inflammatory posts, and trolling. I'm as upset as anyone and I also agree that the Nucks are anything but an honorable franchise. However, let's do what we Nashville fans are best at. Focus our energy on supporting the team we love. That's all I need to say.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Do you guys mind if I did the GDT tomorrow?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote