HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chi-Phi

Old
05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Well after getting full value for Byfuglien I thought we would get fair value for Steeger ,, I was wrong.

I wasn't happy witht he return

Beach for Versteeg isn't gonna happen with Steeger 1 yr away from UFA
1 year away from RFA

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
1 year away from RFA
Yep your right

Guess that means Leino's days as Flyer are over and Steeger is there to stay

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Fastasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
How much would have have given the 26-year-old, top pairing, Stanley Cup winning, 40 point, Olympian?

Seabs is worth as much as he got, but he's not a guy you give a 13 year contract too, so of course, his caphit can't be lowered by a front-loaded contract.

5.8M for Seabrook is fair.
I would have given him 4 tops. He is totally replaceable. Keith and the rest of the hawks top 5 make him look far better than he is. Not saying hes a bad player but notice how the Hawks played far better without him vs the canucks than with him...

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:16 PM
broc

Since when was Stalberg worth anything ?

and a.... 3rd?

Versteeg isn't an allstar, but he's a lot better than that package

broc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:21 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
I would have given him 4 tops. He is totally replaceable. Keith and the rest of the hawks top 5 make him look far better than he is. Not saying hes a bad player but notice how the Hawks played far better without him vs the canucks than with him...
Noticed how they won a Cup with him? Flawed.

Robin Regehr is making 4.5M, Dion Phaneuf is getting like 6.5M... Seabrook would have gotten 6M+ on the market, especially after the season he had.

Seabs is a top paring Dman in this league, he's physical, he's solid offensively and is great in his own end. He's worth 5.8M.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Fastasaurus

Quote:
Noticed how they won a Cup with him? Flawed.

Robin Regehr is making 4.5M, Dion Phaneuf is getting like 6.5M... Seabrook would have gotten 6M+ on the market, especially after the season he had.

Seabs is a top paring Dman in this league, he's physical, he's solid offensively and is great in his own end. He's worth 5.8M.
And if calgary could take back both those deals they would. Did you really just try to validate your point by tossing out a couple of sutter deals?

Not saying hes not talented. Yes he probably would have gotten 6+ that doesnt mean hes worth it. Is Campbell worth his 7.1 that he got on the open market? The hawks are up against the cap, theyve just limited their ability to get solid depth players. The west is too good to advance very far without depth. I would have used that 5.8 and gotten an acceptable dman to replace Seabrook and used the remaining to grab another solid forward to ease the pressure of toews and co.

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Crawford is worth 2M. If any of the rest of those guys holds firm at demanding 2M, any Hawks fan will be glad to see them go.
Hey cold...you know your avatar comes from a picture of the neon hanging in my basement? LOL True story.

Well...not entirely true. But the similarities are striking. :-p

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
To Hawks
W Kris Versteeg

To Flyers
LW Viktor Stalberg (RFA)
3rd round pick in 2011

Flyers have some need to relieve themselves of salary and Versteeg's play has been pretty bad in Philly. Flyers get a depth forward who can be signed for cheap and a 3rd in this upcoming draft. Flyers GM paid a heavy price for Steeger but his season in both Tor/Phi hurts his value and honestly with the Flyers needing to resign Leino and upgrade there goaltending (They cant possibly ignore it another year, Can they?). Steeger's salary is likely to be 1st out the door

Hawks get a guy we are familiar with who although overpaid would be a decent upgrade to our LW position in top 6 which has been weak point. I think Sharp at #2 C is best option for Hawks next year so we should look for an upgrade at LW because our options are rather limited

Steeger makes a bit over 3 mil ,, But I think if Hawks do a decent enough job of resigning Frolik/Brouwer/Crawford at affordable rates we can afford to fit in Steeger

He is inconsistant but he would be productive enough to feel comfortable with him as LW on Sharp/Hossa line
Stalberg isn't even a roster player on PHI, either a 13th forward or the leading scorer on the Phantoms. No way they do this, especially after what they gave up for Versteeg.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:48 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
And if calgary could take back both those deals they would. Did you really just try to validate your point by tossing out a couple of sutter deals?

Not saying hes not talented. Yes he probably would have gotten 6+ that doesnt mean hes worth it. Is Campbell worth his 7.1 that he got on the open market? The hawks are up against the cap, theyve just limited their ability to get solid depth players. The west is too good to advance very far without depth. I would have used that 5.8 and gotten an acceptable dman to replace Seabrook and used the remaining to grab another solid forward to ease the pressure of toews and co.
My point was valid. Those were the first two Dmen that popped to my mind that were comparable to Seabs who make a good amount of money. Weber will likely get 6.5M or more, Suter 6M or more, two more comparables.

Seabrook is a 40 point, two-way defender who's accomplished pretty much everything a Dman can accomplish outside of a Norris. How much is he worth? If you honestly believe 4M then you're drastically underestimating his worth. I said at the time I thought he'd get 5-5.5M and he got 5.8M, so what's the problem?

I don't really know if you noticed, but Chicago's "depth" players (Frolik, Bolland, Bickell, Smith, Kruger) were all good-to-very good in the Vancouver series. They don't have a problem with depth, especially not with the likes of Morin, Beach, Makarov, J.Hayes coming up in the next 1-2 years on ELC's.

Chicago could have gone the route of trading Seabs, but who would they have signed in the UFA market? Bieksa? Lol.. no. Jovanovski? No. There aren't many Dmen that do all the things he does, and especially on this Chicago's defense, considering how well Keith/Seabs play together, considering how Seabs is really our only really imposing Dman, he instant becomes more valuable.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
My point was valid. Those were the first two Dmen that popped to my mind that were comparable to Seabs who make a good amount of money. Weber will likely get 6.5M or more, Suter 6M or more, two more comparables.

Seabrook is a 40 point, two-way defender who's accomplished pretty much everything a Dman can accomplish outside of a Norris. How much is he worth? If you honestly believe 4M then you're drastically underestimating his worth. I said at the time I thought he'd get 5-5.5M and he got 5.8M, so what's the problem?

I don't really know if you noticed, but Chicago's "depth" players (Frolik, Bolland, Bickell, Smith, Kruger) were all good-to-very good in the Vancouver series. They don't have a problem with depth, especially not with the likes of Morin, Beach, Makarov, J.Hayes coming up in the next 1-2 years on ELC's.

Chicago could have gone the route of trading Seabs, but who would they have signed in the UFA market? Bieksa? Lol.. no. Jovanovski? No. There aren't many Dmen that do all the things he does, and especially on this Chicago's defense, considering how well Keith/Seabs play together, considering how Seabs is really our only really imposing Dman, he instant becomes more valuable.
Quoted for the truth.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

all the Seabrook got too much $$ has more to do with

1) haters say he is overrated
or
2) there was a hope that he signs for less from Hawks Fans

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

how did this become a pissing competition about seabrooks worth...

pretty sure the OP was Trash can Stalberg for versteeg and a 3rd....

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Sarava

Well I'm a Hawks fan and a fan of Seabrook, but I think he was overpaid a bit.

Regardless, I don't see a need to bring Versteeg back. We can get more bang for our buck elsewhere. The 3 mil cap hit is a wee bit much for what Steeger brings to the table. That's fine for most teams, but the Hawks are too tight against the cap to accept more overpaid players, even if it's only slightly overpaid.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:57 AM
GaryU

If Stan waited a little longer, he coulda saved a couple mil over the course of the contract...Again, NO WAY he s/b making more than Keith...and I'm a fan too...

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:20 PM
HockeySensible
Dat Mullet Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
If Stan waited a little longer, he coulda saved a couple mil over the course of the contract...Again, NO WAY he s/b making more than Keith...and I'm a fan too...
Seabs isn't making more then Keith. Keith has a front-loaded contact, I believe he got paid like 8 Million this season in actual salary, and he'll get 8M in actual salary over the course of the next 2 seasons. His caphit is lower, because, again, he has a front-loaded contract. Seabs contract is consistently 5.8M over the duration of the contract.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:26 PM
TSA0402

The problem isn't so much with Seabrook's cap hit so much in itself, good players usually get overpaid in the NHL. Its the amount spent on Chicago's Defense core altogether.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote