HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with all of this playoff revenue?

Old
05-06-2011, 11:44 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
dehumidifiers for one...

5 playoff games will probably net about enough to pay for JP's buyout
I know 101st mentioned that dehumidifiers would be the responsibility of Metro, but this really is the sort of thing we'd be looking at doing with money made from the play offs. Turning it into an investment that doesn't involve a contract. Paying down debt is almost as important to this team as icing a competitive team. Don't expect the play off revenue to give us leeway in the contract department. Not from one year. It's going to take several seasons of consistent attendance like we had this year, but higher, before we start to see us moving away from the necessity of revenue sharing.

Besides, we can already afford Weber and Suter.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:13 PM
glenngineer

I know we all talk about adding outside talent with the playoff revenue but we must remember, this team has a pretty good farm system. Not saying these two would be the answer but they might fill some holes for us.

1. Taylor Beck. They had a hard time sending him back to the juniors this year. He probably starts the year in Milwaukee but he's a bigger kid with some good offensive skills. Not necessarily a sniper in the likes of Rads but a kid who puts the puck in the net consistently, has a none stop motor and is one of those people you love to have on your team, ala Shane Doan. 30 goals and 60 points a year is not out of the question with him. Did I mention he loves to shoot the puck?

2. Ryan Ellis. While I'm scared of his size and defensive ability, all this kid does is win. He'd make an excellent PP QB, which is something we sorely lack at this time. Who does he replace is the question but I also think he starts the year in Milwaukee so it may be a moot point. Does he have the ability to play in the NHL and handle the bigger bodies. Anyone have any problems with Blum at this point? Weren't we concerned how he'd handle the NHL? He's doing fine out there. If Ellis can acclimate like Blum, we're in good shape.

Darkhorse-Josi. Once again, another one of our blue chip blue liners. If he's what everyone says he is, he will be in Nashville next season. If that's the case and we're happy with Weber, Suter, Blum, Klein, Ellis and Josi, that leaves Franson, Bouillon and SOB out in the cold, so to speak. This isn't going to happen since we have Franson and Bouillon signed for next season but do we re-sign SOB and if so, at what cost and who of our prospects gets dealt. At some point we need to take some of the chips we have in the game and move them for assets up front that will help us. I think there are many teams interested in Franson and if we can net a young forward who needs a change of scenery or can produce, we need to explore that option. This is all assuming we can and will re-sign Weber and Suter, which is pretty much my premise in all of this.

And for all the hype about Richards, I like the guy but I'm not in love with him coming here. Is he a solid player, yup. Is he an elite forward, not so sure. If we were going to go after anyone out there, RFA or UFA, I'd go for Parise but since we don't have our first this year, that pipe dream is over before it starts. There are no other UFA's that I go, we absolutely need them. It depends on who we keep is who we will go after in the offseason.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to see a 3rd line of Beck BamBam Wilson.... Might be our only power line since the Hartnell/Hall combos

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:04 PM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Permanent dehumidification would be a capital improvement and Metro, and only Metro, responsibility.
Wasn't there some kind of deal about getting to the second round to get one?

ffwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
Wasn't there some kind of deal about getting to the second round to get one?
with that clown Craddock on the council, I doubt it

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Wow, i didn't know the second round was a best of five. Congrats to the Nucks for winning 3 games.

But if we are going to play a game I play well why not.

NHLPA states that the cap should be around 62.2 Million with the Predators cap being 54.2 million. That leaves the Preds about 13.3 million left under the cap.

First things first, Weber for 7 Million. Next comes SK. His number was looking like 2 million but with his lack of Playoff performance, maybe 1.5-1.75 million. Laakso for the 7th defenseman for 650,000. You could go with vet but with players starting to run into a double wall of Weber-Suter, Klein-any other defenseman prospect. Laakso might pull an O'Reilly and ask only for a one-way. Unless a defenseman is moved that should lock up the front 7.

Also puts 20 players on the roster leaving 2-3 spots for forwards and 3.9 million under the cap. I have Spaling at 750,000, could be higher but note he was playing on a rookie contract and that 891K number is also a large chuck of unearned rookie bonuses. I'll put Halischuk at 800K. 22 players with 2.4 Million left under Pred cap.

O'Reilly, O'Reilly, O'Reilly. I'm not sure what to do with him. If Lombardi is done then the team needs to hold on to him and potentially use him as a #1 center.

Here are the buyout numbers for Lombardi:

2011-12: Buyout 1,166,667 Cap hit 1,166,667
2012-13: Buyout 1,166,667 Cap hit 1,166,667
2013-14: Cap hit 1,166,667
2014-15: Cap hit 1,166,667

Dumont's buyout would look like this:

2011-12: Buyout 1,333,333 Cap hit 1,333,333
2012-13: Cap hit 1,333,333

Either way, it would open up roster spots and cash. Let's say Dumont and Lombardi come back. Here's the roster in my mind.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($1.750m)
Colin Wilson ($1.725m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m)
Nick Spaling ($0.750m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.800m)
J.P. Dumont ($4.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($3.500m) / Shea Weber ($7.000m)
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.350m)
Cody Franson ($0.800m) / Jonathon Blum ($0.941m)
Teemu Laakso ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($3.400m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $54,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,787,500; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,412,500

With buyouts. and a trade for a 4 million dollar player.

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($4.500m) / Cal O'Reilly ($0.900m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($1.750m)
Trade Goal scorer ($4.000m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m)
Colin Wilson ($1.725m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Blake Geoffrion ($1.062m)
Nick Spaling ($0.750m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.800m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.250m) / Lombardi Buyout ($1.166m) / Joel Ward ($1.500m)
Dumont Buyout ($1.333m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.350m)
Cody Franson ($0.800m) / Jonathon Blum ($0.941m)
Teemu Laakso ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($3.400m) / Anders Lindback ($0.875m)

SALARY CAP: $54,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $53,187,500; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CAP SPACE (25-man roster): $1,012,500

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mid point number is not the cap hit but actual salary paid out in a season. I don't know if that changes your numbers much, just thought I'd throw that out there.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7D-...ature=youtu.be

Stolen from On the forecheck.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Mid point number is not the cap hit but actual salary paid out in a season. I don't know if that changes your numbers much, just thought I'd throw that out there.
Yup but I was lazy and went with cap numbers.

Erat: Cap: 4.5 Salary 11-12 6 Million
Tootoo: Cap: 1,250,000 Salary: 1,350,000
Rinne: Cap 3.4 m Salary: 4 m

Another note, the NHLPA's leak came BEFORE signing the new US TV contract so the cap could go has high as 63-64 Million.

Also the idea of Lombardi being bought out is interesting. I don't know if any of the posters who are closer to the organization has heard anything but this would be a 4 year hit.

They seem like a lot of factors but when the cap number comes out that will take care of a lot of the variables.

here it is hand written so it salary based not Cap based. Also hand wrung the rookie salaries and got the salary numbers down.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Martin Erat ($6.000m) / Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / Sergei Kostitsyn ($1.750m)
Colin Wilson ($0.875m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Patric hornqvist ($3.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($1.350m) / Mike Fisher ($4.000m) / Blake Geoffrion ($0.850m)
Matt Halischuk ($0.800m) / Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) / Nick Spaling ($0.800m)
/ Cal O'Reilly ($0.750m) / Dumont Buyout ($1.333m)

DEFENSEMEN
Francis Bouillon ($1.350m) / Kevin Klein ($1.350m)
Cody Franson ($0.800m) / Jon Blum ($0.787m)
Teemu Laakso ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($4.000m) / Anders Lindback ($0.737m)

SALARY CAP: $54,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $50,483,333; BONUSES: $1,325,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,716,667

Old
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

It's part of the lease that permanent improvements over amount $x (I'm not in the mood to search the document this late at night in my part of the world) have to go through as capital improvements.

The midpoint is based on the Payroll Range using Averaged Club Salary according to article 50 of the CBA ..... averaged club is cap hit, not actual dollars spent unless anyone has documentation showing otherwise.

I see all extra revenue paying down the debt load or helping cover increased salaries to the expected higher midpoint next year. It won't go to raising the payroll above the midpoint and costing the team any money from the escrow phase of distribution.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:42 PM
dulzhok

I think permanent de-humidification was already put in this week. Not sure who paid for it though.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:22 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I think permanent de-humidification was already put in this week. Not sure who paid for it though.
no, was not permanent , was a temporary "rent the machines" fix(some of them were on 6th ave)..... i believe it was required by the nhl for us to host the second round.

you could feel the difference in the arena for these last 2 games. the air was much dryer.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:27 PM
JamesBond*

Let me preface this by assuing you this is not a troll post. Really.....but was there not some rumour out there that Weber desparately wants to play in Vancouver? He is a BC boy, like Dan Hamhuis, and I had heard that after his Olympic experience, he had confided in people that he would love to end up a Canuck.

Anyone else hear that, or is that just some wishful thinking by nuck fans?

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:02 PM
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
Let me preface this by assuing you this is not a troll post. Really.....but was there not some rumour out there that Weber desparately wants to play in Vancouver? He is a BC boy, like Dan Hamhuis, and I had heard that after his Olympic experience, he had confided in people that he would love to end up a Canuck.

I've never heard this rumour before... did Joe Sakic's BBQ salesman tell it to you?

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:11 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:

All I know is that after being asked about it, after we made him captain, he said he wasn't going anywhere.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:

Wishful thinking.

Quote:
Weber sounded truly touched when he spoke to ESPN.com after Thursday's announcement [of his captaincy]. When asked about the tie-in with a possible contract extension, the man with the NHL's hardest shot sounded enthusiastic about that, too.

"You know what, I'm definitely interested in that," Weber told ESPN.com. "I love it here in Nashville. The fans are great. It's a great organization. If David is willing to talk about that, then obviously when that time comes, there shouldn't be much of a problem."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/l...rre/id/5366630

I don't recall Hamhuis ever saying something like that.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:05 PM
JamesBond*

Dan Hamhuis prior to leaving:

"“That’s kind of what we’re hoping for and kind of what we’ve heard — that the financial situation right now is not where it needs to be to get the deal done,” Hamhuis said. “We’re hoping that with making the playoffs and making the playoff run, that with some money generated from that, that maybe at the end of the season, something could be worked out."

Players say all the right things, but often have different agendas. What is it that you expect Weber to say? "Re-sign in Music City!? You kidding me!? This place is a total ****-hole! I can't wait to get to a real hockey town like Vancity. Stop making me laugh!"

Old
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
All I know is that after being asked about it, after we made him captain, he said he wasn't going anywhere.
I don't understand what you are talking about. Since he was made captain this prevents him from leaving?

Realistically, you'd have to think Suter and Weber are going to command a cap hit in excess of 12 million, or in that range. Is that financially possible for a cash strapped team like the Preds?

Old
05-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Players can say all the right things around their home town fans, too.

Also, we're not THAT cash strapped. Poile is thrifty.

You know the old saying, "You can always find time to do the things you want to do"? Well, you can always find the money to sign the players you really want to sign. Within limits, of course.

Last edited by Adz: 05-06-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: To address the other question
Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:20 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:

"“That’s kind of what we’re hoping for and kind of what we’ve heard — that the financial situation right now is not where it needs to be to get the deal done,” Hamhuis said. “We’re hoping that with making the playoffs and making the playoff run, that with some money generated from that, that maybe at the end of the season, something could be worked out."

Players say all the right things, but often have different agendas. What is it that you expect Weber to say? "Re-sign in Music City!? You kidding me!? This place is a total ****-hole! I can't wait to get to a real hockey town like Vancity. Stop making me laugh!"
What are you fishing for?

Maybe he does have some secret desire to play in Vancouver. Or maybe Toronto. Or New York.

Or maybe he wants to remain captain here. You don't know, I don't know, no one on here does.

The guy says he loves it here, we have the $$$$'s to sign him, and unlike Hamhuis, we actually really want this guy back.

You'll just have to wait and see, just like us. And in the meantime, you can take your "I'm not here to troll" troll posts back to the Vancouver board.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

Hamhuis didn't lead anyone on if that's what you are implying. What Hamhuis said was 100% true. Discussions were that his contract demands would be met had we advanced in the playoffs last year. But we lost in the first round to Chicago and the money simply wasn't there.

The reason the money wasn't there had everything to do with the fact that Weber and Suter need to be extended in the following two years and the money to do that has already been built into the budget. If Hamhuis was in the same position today, then the money might have been there for him to stay.

As much as you'd like to believe Nashville is just being strung along, the truth is there is more truth to the statements directly from the player's mouth's than you're giving them credit for...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Can someone explain the humidifier talk to me?

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
Can someone explain the humidifier talk to me?
it makes the ice better to skate on instead of allowing the humidity into the arena, they install portable dehumidifiers to take out the humidity.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:07 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
and unlike Hamhuis, we actually really want this guy back.
You lose all credibility when you make a statement like that. Laughable.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
it makes the ice better to skate on instead of allowing the humidity into the arena, they install portable dehumidifiers to take out the humidity.
Is this something that every arena in the league has? Or do we need because of our climate? How much do they cost?

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote