HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cujo

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2003, 06:39 PM
  #1
fuhr
Registered User
 
fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Cujo

If the Wings would eat about 8 milllion of his contract does anyone have a problem with us picking Cujo up? I'm sure a draft pick or a second teir prospect would do it and this way they don't have to worry about him ending up in Colorado or St.louis. Maybe they could work out a deal so the Oilers couldn't trade him this year to anyone in the west or something. The Oil can then flip Salo for whatever a pick,a prospect it doesn't really matter at this point because this team is going to need a wall that comes up with the clutch save game in and game out.....i don't see tommy being that guy for this team. I'm sure Sather would take Salo in 2 seconds because he'd get that team into the playoffs.What do you guys think?

fuhr is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 06:57 PM
  #2
HockeySense85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York, New York
Country: Canada
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Well, my guess is if the Wings were willing to eat 8 million dollars for Cujo, they would just hold on to the guy and make sure he doesn't bite them in the ass on some seventh or eight place western conference team (a.k.a Edmonton) in the first round of the playoffs. Also, if they are willing to eat a large part of his contract i suspect he would have been dealt already.

But all other things being equal, I take Cujo over Salo.

HockeySense85 is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 06:57 PM
  #3
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
If the Wings would eat about 8 milllion of his contract does anyone have a problem with us picking Cujo up? I'm sure a draft pick or a second teir prospect would do it and this way they don't have to worry about him ending up in Colorado or St.louis. Maybe they could work out a deal so the Oilers couldn't trade him this year to anyone in the west or something. The Oil can then flip Salo for whatever a pick,a prospect it doesn't really matter at this point because this team is going to need a wall that comes up with the clutch save game in and game out.....i don't see tommy being that guy for this team. I'm sure Sather would take Salo in 2 seconds because he'd get that team into the playoffs.What do you guys think?
im gonna give Salo another 15 games before i make any judgements about him. I admit he's been extremely shaky at the start of this season and but it's only been 2 games. Hopefully he can get better as the season progresses. If he doesnt then we really have a problem in goal. He will NOT take us past the first round, never mind leading this team into the playoff. I think trading for one of the 3 goalies in Buffalo would be the best way to solve this dilema if all goes wrong. what do you all think?

outKast* is offline  
Old
10-13-2003, 08:06 PM
  #4
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Salo hasn't been as bad as his numbers are. He played great all game against S.J. expcept for the one goal (which was thanks to a Brewer brain fart). Tommy didn't have a hope in hell on any of the goals in the Vancouver game.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 03:47 PM
  #5
fuhr
Registered User
 
fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Salo hasn't been as bad as his numbers are. He played great all game against S.J. expcept for the one goal (which was thanks to a Brewer brain fart).

Tommy didn't have a hope in hell on any of the goals in the Vancouver game.
Other than a couple of saves in the third he had nothing to do all night agains the sharks.As far as Saturday goes,making the odd save you shouldn't be making is how you keep your team in games. On Saturday,before you could blink it was 2-0 and just as Millen said during the game he was just guessing and he looked really bad doing it. I'm not pinning anything on Salo,all i'm saying is he doesn't seem to be suited to play goal for this team any longer. He used to make the key saves at the right times regularly but he isn't doing it anymore. Cujo is just a better fit at this point IMO and he's always played better when he gets a lot of work. If Detroit wants to get rid of him they are going to have to eat a big chunk of salary or see if they can work a buy out with him. I can't see Cujo going out of his way to help the Wings out.

fuhr is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 04:01 PM
  #6
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Other than a couple of saves in the third he had nothing to do all night agains the sharks.As far as Saturday goes,making the odd save you shouldn't be making is how you keep your team in games. On Saturday,before you could blink it was 2-0 and just as Millen said during the game he was just guessing and he looked really bad doing it. I'm not pinning anything on Salo,all i'm saying is he doesn't seem to be suited to play goal for this team any longer. He used to make the key saves at the right times regularly but he isn't doing it anymore. Cujo is just a better fit at this point IMO and he's always played better when he gets a lot of work. If Detroit wants to get rid of him they are going to have to eat a big chunk of salary or see if they can work a buy out with him. I can't see Cujo going out of his way to help the Wings out.
Cujo? a better fit? haha - his $8 million salary and his $100 billion selfishness isn't wanted hear. Millen was talking out of his a$$... Do you really want Tommy to stay on his feet on that play and slide over? if so expect a LOT of goals to be scored because the majority of shots are 6 inches and down - and if you stand on your feet alot more goals will go in. You have to go over and stack the pads on that play. Tommy didn't have a cold hope in hell on those goals - COMPLETLEY hung out to dry by poor play infront of him (or in the case of the first goal on saturday a chop to Staios and a pathetic non-call by that dick head of a ref - Shick is his name right?)

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 06:44 PM
  #7
fuhr
Registered User
 
fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Cujo? a better fit? haha - his $8 million salary and his $100 billion selfishness isn't wanted hear. Millen was talking out of his a$$... Do you really want Tommy to stay on his feet on that play and slide over? if so expect a LOT of goals to be scored because the majority of shots are 6 inches and down - and if you stand on your feet alot more goals will go in. You have to go over and stack the pads on that play. Tommy didn't have a cold hope in hell on those goals - COMPLETLEY hung out to dry by poor play infront of him (or in the case of the first goal on saturday a chop to Staios and a pathetic non-call by that dick head of a ref - Shick is his name right?)
Unless,you weren't watching Salo did not stack the pads at all on the goal. He went across with one pad,fell forward onto his chest and went down way to soon leaving about 3/4 of the net open. Whether you like Millen or not the guy was an NHL goalie for a long time and i think he knows a tad more on goaltending then any of us. Regardless,the fact that every good chance Vancouver had went into the net is the problem. If he's not capable of stopping shots he shouldn't be stopping then why not just let Conklin play he's a lot cheaper and they can spend the money elsewhere. This team is not good enough to win games without amazing goaltending and all he seems to be capable of these days is ordinary goaltending. The Oilers have "NO OFFENCE" contrary to what some of you were kidding yourselves about in the pre-season. As far as Cujo's "selfishness" goes,who was the goalie who last got this team into the 2nd round? Other than last season,he's done nothing but take his team deeper into the playoffs then they should have gone(see Oilers and especially the Leafs). You can not say the same about Salo and he's looked very ordinary,during the season and playoffs,for a very long time now.

fuhr is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 11:01 AM
  #8
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,670
vCash: 500
If the RedWings were going to eat $8 million of Cujo's salary, then they would have NO reason to move him in the first place. That doesn't make any sense and would NEVER happen.

Master Lok is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 11:13 AM
  #9
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Regardless,the fact that every good chance Vancouver had went into the net is the problem.
Your right, that wrist shot from the slot by Naslund wasn't a good scoring chance... nice routine save.

On a pass from one side to another, a goalie has to make a guess. Let's put it this way, had he stood up across, and Cooke shot right on the ice to either side, Salo would have looked a lot worse, and you would be just as upset. He got a good portion of that shot from Cooke, unfortunately, not enough of it.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 11:25 AM
  #10
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
This sounds like a great idea to me.

Do you think they would eat $15 million per year of Lidstrom and Hatcher's contracts as well? We have Comrie and Rita to dangle as bait!

MrMackey is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 07:39 PM
  #11
oh_canuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 868
vCash: 500
If they were gonna eat his salary and cant move him how would we move salo without eating his salary

oh_canuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.