HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the hat0r thread)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2011, 12:29 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Some want to deal Green I'm sure.....he's still one of my favorite players....even with his warts.

I look at it as more of a "who else can you move if not him or Semin" and still make a signficant change?

Old
05-06-2011, 12:33 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I look at it as more of a "who else can you move if not him or Semin" and still make a signficant change?
I'd move Semin 100 out of 100 times over Green....that's for damn sure.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I'd move Semin 100 out of 100 times over Green....that's for damn sure.
Pending on the return I would move either one.

I'm not exclusive on either.

I think, not having won the Cup, yet again, any and all options need to be considered.

There are one or two players I wouldn't take calls on, and they're quite obvious.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Keep... everyone. Coach, players, ticket taker... everyone core. Deadline additions walk. Fourth-line UFAs walk. Laich? Not sure. Depends on cost.

Do what San Jose does. Lose, keep your good players, and keep adding good players until you win through sheer bloodymindedness.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Keep... everyone.
LOL.....love how you're slowing returning with 3 word posts...

They've already said they're replacing from within, so they're not keeping everyone....

Old
05-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Well, you know what I mean. The same 23 won't be back, but by letting most UFAs go, adding kids, that's letting it ride under the circumstances.

Just don't go and get pennies on the dollar just to make changes for their own sake.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If they let the UFAs go and fill with more young players....I might be on board with TXPD's claim that they'll be a 6-8 seed at best next seasons....

Old
05-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I have no doubt that the same group that today loses in the playoffs can be a 110-point team, maybe a 120-point team in the regular season. That's not really in doubt. What is uncertain is whether they can bear down and win in the playoffs.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

there's the million dollar question that still hasn't been answered in 4 seasons.

I imagine we're getting closer to a conclusion, but I'm starting to wonder if the mix just isn't right. Ovechkin, for all his effort and wanting to win, sure doesn't seem to be around winning for whatever the reason. I don't know that he has the best habits either.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
San Jose fired Ron Wilson.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Yes. It took them some time, though. He lasted four multi-round playoff rounds as a contender.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Yes. It took them some time, though. He lasted four multi-round playoff rounds as a contender.
Um...

Old
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I'm not sure the blunt force, if it doesn't fit or work, club it till it does fits in this situation.

There's only so many places Bruce can go.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Keep... everyone. Coach, players, ticket taker... everyone core. Deadline additions walk. Fourth-line UFAs walk. Laich? Not sure. Depends on cost.

Do what San Jose does. Lose, keep your good players, and keep adding good players until you win through sheer bloodymindedness.
SJ canned the coach

Old
05-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Have the Caps really been contenders in any traditional sense the past few years? The strongest resemblance on paper would be this season IMO but then Wideman was injured and Green was...Green.

The performance issues can be set aside because ultimately it probably should come down to whether the coaching staff is getting the most out of what they're given and instilling the right habits (in short, are they on the right track). I don't just see the disciplined habits, especially offensively, to have confidence in the same course leading to a better result and that goes double if the core is untouched.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:28 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'd be supportive of a coaching range, and roster turnover, even of the significant variety. But I agree that the same group, with a few additions, can find post season success.

Really, the biggest problem the team had this year was the down-tick in play of Ovechkin and Backstrom. Find some way to fix that (especially with Backstrom) and they very well could have beaten TB. I'd even go so far as to say, with a healthy roster and Ovechkin and Backstrom actually playing to their playoff capabilities, it would have been a short series in the Caps favor.

Now don't take this as a positive evaluation of the team. There are problems with the makeup of the roster and the coaching staff's approach (or ability).

Old
05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
bonzaibondra12

I'd trade Green if we could get a guy like Volchenkov in return. A good defenseman, who blocks shots, and is rough.

Other options;
Bieksa
Regehr but not sure they'd want him.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:46 PM
usiel

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd be supportive of a coaching range, and roster turnover, even of the significant variety. But I agree that the same group, with a few additions, can find post season success.

Really, the biggest problem the team had this year was the down-tick in play of Ovechkin and Backstrom. Find some way to fix that (especially with Backstrom) and they very well could have beaten TB. I'd even go so far as to say, with a healthy roster and Ovechkin and Backstrom actually playing to their playoff capabilities, it would have been a short series in the Caps favor.

Now don't take this as a positive evaluation of the team. There are problems with the makeup of the roster and the coaching staff's approach (or ability).
The bolded is exactly why my expectations that this years team was not a 'real' threat for a stanley cup winning team. Each season has a story line to is. The previous year was crazy scoring and regular season wins. This year all the scoring down with a great PK and lousy PP. Just weird how it works this way.

Having Green, Wideman, and Carlson has the offensive puck carrying Dman next year even now is looking good.

05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
DuklaNation

Green has to accept the fact his body cant take the abuse and tone down the physical play. As a puck rushing d-man, he will always be a big target. A more conservative style of shot blocking wouldnt hurt either.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

If Mike Green is moved, the return would have be at least equivalent to the return on an offer sheet for him after next season. Any offer sheets for him would be at least in the two first, a second, and a third range. Quite possible in the four first range.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Efactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Ozolinsh put up 90 points in 137 career playoff games for a .66 points per game average. Green has put up 25 points in 36 career playoff games for a .69 points per game average.

I'm just saying...
Ozo has a CUP!

I'm just saying...

Old
05-06-2011, 02:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

last season we were able to look at 14 straight playoff games without a goal from semin and green's lack of scoring productio in those same 14 games. we figured if those guys brought something of value, the caps might be in a good place come these playoffs.

who would have thought they would bring something but backstrom would go missing in action. up to this year backstrom was always the most reliable of all the big offensive weapons. what the hell? you plug two hole and a bigger one blows open.

yea it would be nice to have seen wideman and green together, but for me its all lies with backstrom. having the usual playoff backstrom changes so many things and he wasnt a factor at all. so far as i can tell in all the post playoff reporting, ive seen nothing on backstrom.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I guess we can pass the blame around to a new player (or players) each postseason...and continue to rinse and repeat this trend...

Old
05-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
last season we were able to look at 14 straight playoff games without a goal from semin and green's lack of scoring productio in those same 14 games. we figured if those guys brought something of value, the caps might be in a good place come these playoffs.

who would have thought they would bring something but backstrom would go missing in action. up to this year backstrom was always the most reliable of all the big offensive weapons. what the hell? you plug two hole and a bigger one blows open.

yea it would be nice to have seen wideman and green together, but for me its all lies with backstrom. having the usual playoff backstrom changes so many things and he wasnt a factor at all. so far as i can tell in all the post playoff reporting, ive seen nothing on backstrom.
Im not sure if this is what you are saying but if it is I disagree.....

the idea that if Backstrom was on his game that they would have won is just not flying with me. They got swept....outplayed, as a team, in the 3rd period the first three games. This isnt because a player was off......they were outplayed and out coached.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Agreed Mothra....too many fundamental defensive breakdowns and other issues like bad line changes and players playing when they want for me to pin this on Backstrom (or any one player).

Closed Thread