HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread, Part I

Old
05-06-2011, 12:57 AM
levski87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
This is awful. Don't want Tanguay, Weiss is a 1B, don't need another d for 5 years at a massive contract, we just got rid of rozy.

I just dunno what you're thinking man. It's like you want to live through the horrid cycle that has been rangerdom all over again
That is all based on the assumption we don't get Richards.

Tanguay would be on a one year deal. He just completed the season with 22g and 69p in 79gp. He would be our best player along side Gaborik.

Weiss is a 1B, but his contract is only for two more years at a cap it of 4.1mil. He has a tradeable cap hit even if he doesn't pan out. He is one season removed from a 60p outing playing on a crappy Florida team.

Please don't even compare Ehrhoff to Rozsival. Ehrhoff has a legit bomb from the point, can QB the PP, great defender + outlet pass and he just put up 50points in 79 games.

Instead of placing all our eggs in one basket (Richards), why not diversify the available cap space and invest in a few players?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:00 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I certainly wouldn't want to trade Anisimov, but:

1.Sign Richards
2.Trade AA+ for Weiss
3.Have Richards/Weiss/Stepan as 1-2-3.
4.??????
5. Winning

I don't think we would have to trade Anisimov for Weiss.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:02 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I don't think we would have to trade Anisimov for Weiss.

Their D core is abysmal. A Girardi for Weiss swap would be beneficial for both teams.
That would leave a giant hole on defense, whereas trading Anisimov for Weiss would be beneficial for both. Although, Florida might not go for it, as he;s pretty much their only experienced center.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:03 AM
levski87

Quote:
That would leave a giant hole on defense, whereas trading Anisimov for Weiss would be beneficial for both. Although, Florida might not go for it, as he;s pretty much their only experienced center.
If we were to sign Ehrhoff, he could replace Girardi.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:03 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I want John Erskine or Shane O'Brien. Too much camping in front of Hank.
I'll give ya a different O'Defenseman we oughta sign: Sean O'Donnell. Guy's signed below market for 2 straight years, loves the game, is tough as nails, durable, and rarely makes mistakes.

His cap hit last season was 1.3M.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:04 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
If we were to sign Ehrhoff, he could replace Girardi.
Ehrhoff is a monster question mark. He was terrible on the Sharks, for the most part, and his scoring went up when he was traded, which I highly doubt was a coincidence, playing on a PP with the Sedins + Kesler. He's not as good as Girardi.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:07 AM
levski87

Quote:
Ehrhoff is a monster question mark. He was terrible on the Sharks, for the most part, and his scoring went up when he was traded, which I highly doubt was a coincidence, playing on a PP with the Sedins + Kesler. He's not as good as Girardi.
I think you might be over rating Girardi.

Yes, Girardi is a great dman, but he has looked like crap at times when Marc Staal isn't by his side.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:08 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Quote:
I think you might be over rating Girardi.

Yes, Girardi is a great dman, but he has looked like crap at times when Marc Staal isn't by his side.
I'm not, and that was for two games. Two games. It's not nearly enough of a sample size.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:09 AM
levski87

Quote:
Ehrhoff had 42p before he was traded. The following season he had 44p playing alongside the Sedins.

I think he's a dman that developed slowly, but has found his game.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:13 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
I'll give ya a different O'Defenseman we oughta sign: Sean O'Donnell. Guy's signed below market for 2 straight years, loves the game, is tough as nails, durable, and rarely makes mistakes.

His cap hit last season was 1.3M.
Pavel Valentenko can do the job until McIlrath comes along.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:37 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Pavel Valentenko can do the job until McIlrath comes along.
Yes but Valentenko is a rookie, and as it is will likely be needed to replace McCabe (after last season I have almost no faith in MDZ because he has a lot of work to do to get better).

O'Donnell last year cost $175,000 more against the cap than Steve Eminger and was much better. That's a pretty good return on investment right there. O'Donnell has a history of shoring up the defense at every team he's ever played on.

I'm not one to overrate the importance of +/-...I take it for what it is, but I do think it means something to say that O'Donnell hasn't finished a season as a minus player since the last time Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier were playing on the same team.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:37 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Good point.

But Girardi is overrated by Ranger fans. Realistically and honestly he's a solid #3 that's it. Also, we need an offensive d-man in our top pairing. Not necessarily someone like MA Bergeron or Green, but someone who can carry the puck, spring a pass, has a good shot etc. Staal nor Girardi (nor anyone else on our team at the moment) can do that. And we know Staal>Girardi and he's not going anywhere.

As much as I love Girardi, I think he needs to go in order for us to reach the next level. Sauer will be better by next year IMO, and no need to be paying Girardi's salary for a #4/bottom pairing guy. We need a talented d-man, everyone knows this. And I think he can be/should be the guy moved in order to get us that legitimate #1b/#2 d-man. Staal-Burns (for example, not trying to exacerbate the Burns love) is >>>> Staal-Girardi.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:00 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Good point.

But Girardi is overrated by Ranger fans. Realistically and honestly he's a solid #3 that's it. Also, we need an offensive d-man in our top pairing. Not necessarily someone like MA Bergeron or Green, but someone who can carry the puck, spring a pass, has a good shot etc. Staal nor Girardi (nor anyone else on our team at the moment) can do that. And we know Staal>Girardi and he's not going anywhere.

As much as I love Girardi, I think he needs to go in order for us to reach the next level. Sauer will be better by next year IMO, and no need to be paying Girardi's salary for a #4/bottom pairing guy. We need a talented d-man, everyone knows this. And I think he can be/should be the guy moved in order to get us that legitimate #1b/#2 d-man. Staal-Burns (for example, not trying to exacerbate the Burns love) is >>>> Staal-Girardi.

There are 60 1st pairing D-men in the league (30 teams). Girardi is part of that top-60 (goo luck finding 60 guys better than him). One thing he lacked over previous years was consistency. He's finally elevated his game to the point where he is a legit 1st pairing D-man. Moving him doesnt make sense.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:31 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't want to trade Anisimov, but:

1.Sign Richards
2.Trade AA+ for Weiss
3.Have Richards/Weiss/Stepan as 1-2-3.
4.??????
5. Winning
Why? What does Weiss provide that Artie won't within the next 2 years? Weiss is a 60 point player at best. He's nothing special. This year he scored 49 points in 76 games. Artie scored 44 in 82. Weiss is 28. Artie will be 23 in a few weeks. Weiss has a 3.1 mil cap hit. Artie's cap hit won't be over 2 mil. Artie is very good defensively and has good chemistry with Dubi and Cally.

This seems like a trade just for the sake of making a trade. No point to it, especially when we'd have to give up additional assets.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
If we don't acquire Brad Richards, I would like to see Christian Ehrhoff signed to 5 year deal and then trade Girardi + for a center.

Ehrhoff for 5 mil x 5 years.

Gagne/Tanguay 3 mil x 1 year

Trade Girardi for Sam Gagner? Hemsky? Weiss?

Tanguay-Weiss-Gaborik
Cally-Anisimov-Dubi

Staal-Ehrhoff
McD-Sauer

trading girardi what a stupid move

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Rangers trade #15 and #45 to the Wild for #10. Wild doesn't have a 2nd round pick. Traded to Boston. Rangers still have #57. #10 and #57 in the first two rounds.

Trade a 3rd round pick in 2012 to the Stars for the negotiating rights to Brad Richards. Agree to terms with Richards on a 5 year deal worth $32.5M which will be announced a few minutes after free agency begins on July 1 when summer cap increases by $3M plus 10%.

Place Wojtek Wolski and Sean Avery on waivers. Execute buyouts for both players if they clear waivers.

Trade Chris Drury to Columbus for Mike Commodore. Drury waives NMC on the condition Columbus buys him out which they will considering Commodore is a more expensive buyout. Frees up $3.3M in summer cap space. $7.05M during the season. Commodore will play in Europe or in the AHL. He could be loaned to another AHL team. Hershey took Sheldon Souray on a loan.

Sign Chris Kreider. He comes to prospects camp. Likes what he hears from Torts. 3 year ELC. $900,000 max, $270,000 SB. $300,000 in performance bonuses. $1.2M cap. Sign the other prospects-Ethan Werek and Scott Stajcer before June 1. Roman Horak is still Ranger property after June 1. Maybe he plays in the Czech Republic next season or the Rangers sign him.

Re-sign Matt Gilroy. 2 years/$2.5M.

Re-sign Ruslan Fedotenko. 1 year. $1M.

Qualify Ryan Callahan,Brandon Dubinsky,Brian Boyle and Michael Sauer who are all arbitration eligible. All of them will file if they aren't signed by July 5. QO to AA who is not arb eligible. Qualify Dale Weise and John Mitchell. Don't give Chad Johnson and Brodie Dupont QO's.

Look at adding another LWer and look into an offensive defenseman. Either in a trade(s)or a short term free agent contract. The Rangers will have the cap money from the Drury trade and the buyouts.

Derek Boogaard will be assigned to the AHL in the fall.

Look to trade Erik Christensen for a late round pick.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Vitto79

I view the offseason as pretty straight forward unlike some:

1) sign RFA's - Pack Line, Boyle , Sauer. Hoping we can get good cap numbers
2) With Extra money sign Brad Richards, #1 C and PP QB
3) Sign Fedotenko to same type of deal, 1 yr likely small raise. Resign Gilroy only cheap
4) Buy out Drury before July 1st of course. He is not tradeable. Let all other UFA's walk
5) NO buy out Avery, Wolski, only one yr left on their deals and other UFA;s will be over paid
6) Let more kids earn other spots.
7) Agreed Boogaard gone somehow, Hartford whatever.Redden duh. EC traded for a late pick.
No team is perfect and this is all I can see fitting in the cap. Holes yea but whatever

Wolski, Richards, Gaborik
Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan
Avery, Stepan, Zuccarello
Fedotenko, Boyle, Prust
kid fighting for spot, Grachev, maybe Kreider, Weise, Hagelin

Staal, Girardi
McDonaugh, Sauer
Del Zotto Valentenko
Gilroy
maybe a surprise on D with Pashin, Kundratek

Lundqvist
Biron

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Rangers trade #15 and #45 to the Wild for #10. Wild doesn't have a 2nd round pick. Traded to Boston. Rangers still have #57. #10 and #57 in the first two rounds.

Trade a 3rd round pick in 2012 to the Stars for the negotiating rights to Brad Richards. Agree to terms with Richards on a 5 year deal worth $32.5M which will be announced a few minutes after free agency begins on July 1 when summer cap increases by $3M plus 10%.

Place Wojtek Wolski and Sean Avery on waivers. Execute buyouts for both players if they clear waivers.

Trade Chris Drury to Columbus for Mike Commodore. Drury waives NMC on the condition Columbus buys him out which they will considering Commodore is a more expensive buyout. Frees up $3.3M in summer cap space. $7.05M during the season. Commodore will play in Europe or in the AHL. He could be loaned to another AHL team. Hershey took Sheldon Souray on a loan.

Sign Chris Kreider. He comes to prospects camp. Likes what he hears from Torts. 3 year ELC. $900,000 max, $270,000 SB. $300,000 in performance bonuses. $1.2M cap. Sign the other prospects-Ethan Werek and Scott Stajcer before June 1. Roman Horak is still Ranger property after June 1. Maybe he plays in the Czech Republic next season or the Rangers sign him.

Re-sign Matt Gilroy. 2 years/$2.5M.

Re-sign Ruslan Fedotenko. 1 year. $1M.

Qualify Ryan Callahan,Brandon Dubinsky,Brian Boyle and Michael Sauer who are all arbitration eligible. All of them will file if they aren't signed by July 5. QO to AA who is not arb eligible. Qualify Dale Weise and John Mitchell. Don't give Chad Johnson and Brodie Dupont QO's.

Look at adding another LWer and look into an offensive defenseman. Either in a trade(s)or a short term free agent contract. The Rangers will have the cap money from the Drury trade and the buyouts.

Derek Boogaard will be assigned to the AHL in the fall.

Look to trade Erik Christensen for a late round pick.
I'm on board with that, except for maybe the Commodore deal. What benefit is it really to the Rangers over buying out Drury? Redden's already eating up the 10% extra on the summer cap, so we can't spend Commodore's money until he's sent down at the end of camp.

The only advantage over buying out Drury is that we'll have a lot of money to work with at the trade deadline, but the disadvantage is that the full 3.75 mil will be on the books again next offseason, rather than Drury's 1.67 mil. Sure, we could buy out Commodore's final year, but his cap hit will still be $1,516,667, only 150k savings, and the following year when Drury would be off the books entirely, Commodore would have a cap hit of $1,116,667.

Are you expecting that there will be compliance buyouts in the next CBA that won't count against the cap? If we are sending Boogaard to Hartford, we can use his money at the deadline. If we're sending both him and Commodore down, we'd be operating at least 5.375 mil below the cap. That's like 20 million or more at the trade deadline. I can't imagine why we'd need that much cap space.

Is there a limit to the number of players that can be bought out? Is that why you are suggesting the trade?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm on board with that, except for maybe the Commodore deal. What benefit is it really to the Rangers over buying out Drury? Redden's already eating up the 10% extra on the summer cap, so we can't spend Commodore's money until he's sent down at the end of camp.

The only advantage over buying out Drury is that we'll have a lot of money to work with at the trade deadline, but the disadvantage is that the full 3.75 mil will be on the books again next offseason, rather than Drury's 1.67 mil. Sure, we could buy out Commodore's final year, but his cap hit will still be $1,516,667, only 150k savings, and the following year when Drury would be off the books entirely, Commodore would have a cap hit of $1,116,667.

Are you expecting that there will be compliance buyouts in the next CBA that won't count against the cap? If we are sending Boogaard to Hartford, we can use his money at the deadline. If we're sending both him and Commodore down, we'd be operating at least 5.375 mil below the cap. That's like 20 million or more at the trade deadline. I can't imagine why we'd need that much cap space.

Is there a limit to the number of players that can be bought out? Is that why you are suggesting the trade?
I think the purpose is that the Rangers would be willing to pay Commodore that salary to play in the minors (or overseas) as opposed to buying him out. Which essentially clears all $7MM of Drury's cap off the books as opposed to retaining a buyout cost.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:13 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
There are 60 1st pairing D-men in the league (30 teams). Girardi is part of that top-60 (goo luck finding 60 guys better than him). One thing he lacked over previous years was consistency. He's finally elevated his game to the point where he is a legit 1st pairing D-man. Moving him doesnt make sense.
Yes it does. We have enough defensive d-men. We need an offensive d-man. If anyone should go, it's Girardi. Staal-Girardi is a great shutdown pair, but redundant. No offensive ability at all. If you want to win a cup one of your top two defenseman needs to be offensively capable and able to carry the puck/spring a pass. The day Girardi does that I rest my argument.

Only reason I'm picking on Girardi is because Staal is going nowhere.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:13 PM
NYRKING30

dear glen,

Please do not offer B.Rich 8 yrs at 8.5 mill with a NMC. Please dont sign a 4th line enforcer for 4 years at 12 mill. please call the ottawa senators and ask about Jason Spezza (guy was ridiculous with dany heatley, i think he could be even better with Gabby. Plus he is younger and i believe has about 3 years left at 7- 7.5 per). please try to find a offensive puck moving defense. Oh yeah and also say goodbye to drury.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:25 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

Richards is better than Spezza.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Richards is better than Spezza.
I agree, but I think Spezza gets a bum rap around here. I think on a good team he can definitely pick up assists like a madman. He can also put the puck in the net. The problem with Spezza is he hasn't played the entirety of either of his last 2 seasons (still scoring at almost a PPG pace) and Ottawa isn't going to get rid of him in their tank mode.

If Spezza was available I would definitely go for him without a doubt.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:33 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

I agree as well. I think if Spezza plays a full year, the Sens are closer to 8th place than 15th. He's a very good player - but it makes more sense to pursue Richards. He's not going to take Dubinsky/Sauer/1st to acquire.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Ail
k.

Prust is rust!

Go off-season!

Edit: (Richards please, no NMC.)