HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

would be happy with JEAN-SEBASTIEN GIGUERE?

Old
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
To expand the conversation to "Which over-the-hill goaltender would be best", I'd say
– Khabibulin ($3.75 mil for 2 years – would cost very little to trade for)
– Roloson (I doubt he'll make it to FA, so probably moot)
– Hedberg (always played well against Flyers, which we know is a major criterion for Holmgren)
– Osgood (UFA; probably ≤$1 mil)
– Garon (wouldn't cost much, but probably a marginal upgrade)
– Theodore (questionable, but probably better than either Boucher or Leighton)

The "no" list:
– Kiprusoff (costs too much for too long for his declining skills)
– DiPietro (costs $4.5 mil from now until forever; always injured. Duh!)
– Raycroft (cheap but probably a lateral move)
– Turco – Part II (would he be an upgrade??? I highly doubt it)
– Brodeur ($5.2 mil would be too much, even for a year, with his going-south game, and especially because Lamoriello would make Holmgren pay a king's ransom)

Others of note:
– Emery (would definitely make a play for him. Note to Paul Holmgren: it's okay to talk with doctors in the pre-season. Nobody's feelings will be hurt.)
– Biron (<$1 mil for next season, but why would Rangers want to trade with Philly unless Holmgren overpays?)
– Leclaire (will likely take a huge pay cut, but can't stay healthy)
– Niitty (signed for $2 mil through next season; probably an upgrade; how much would he cost in a trade?)

I could actually see Holmgren taking a chance on a guy like Leclaire. If he actually thought about goaltending, that is. Among the FAs, Leclaire represents one of the best chances for lightning in a bottle.
Which would likely escape the bottle and electrocute him, landing him on IR for a few weeks.

Leclaire is a no-go. I want a goalie who can play well for us all year, not three games at a time in between hospital stays.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
^Turco isn't that good anymore but as a #2 he might not be terrible

He worked alot with Crawford and his reputation with mentoring young goalies is good

If your team plans to go with Bobrovsky as #1 and have a vet to help mentor him Turco would be good option

Not that I am advocating it just laying it out there. And unlike Giguere he doesn't have the health ? Marks

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Subject Orange

Gotta go with Bryzgalov. Yeah he's pricey. But isn't that the "But" that comes up every year. and Every year we sign a low priced option and every year..it bites us in the ass.

Trade, kill, steal, bite, throw sand.....do what it takes to get Bryzgalov. It will hurt initially but will be better in the long run. Not even to mention he can speak russian, and english, and mentor Bob.

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
To expand the conversation to "Which over-the-hill goaltender would be best", I'd say
– Khabibulin ($3.75 mil for 2 years – would cost very little to trade for)
– Roloson (I doubt he'll make it to FA, so probably moot)
– Hedberg (always played well against Flyers, which we know is a major criterion for Holmgren)
– Osgood (UFA; probably ≤$1 mil)
– Garon (wouldn't cost much, but probably a marginal upgrade)
– Theodore (questionable, but probably better than either Boucher or Leighton)

The "no" list:
– Kiprusoff (costs too much for too long for his declining skills)
– DiPietro (costs $4.5 mil from now until forever; always injured. Duh!)
– Raycroft (cheap but probably a lateral move)
– Turco – Part II (would he be an upgrade??? I highly doubt it)
– Brodeur ($5.2 mil would be too much, even for a year, with his going-south game, and especially because Lamoriello would make Holmgren pay a king's ransom)

Others of note:
– Emery (would definitely make a play for him. Note to Paul Holmgren: it's okay to talk with doctors in the pre-season. Nobody's feelings will be hurt.)
– Biron (<$1 mil for next season, but why would Rangers want to trade with Philly unless Holmgren overpays?)
– Leclaire (will likely take a huge pay cut, but can't stay healthy)
– Niitty (signed for $2 mil through next season; probably an upgrade; how much would he cost in a trade?)

I could actually see Holmgren taking a chance on a guy like Leclaire. If he actually thought about goaltending, that is. Among the FAs, Leclaire represents one of the best chances for lightning in a bottle.
Hello, Dr. Beef here. I wanted to show you the latest medical imaging of Mr. Emery's hip.

It looks good from this angle. However, if we zoom and enhance:

No sir, I don't like it.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hello, Dr. Beef here. I wanted to show you the latest medical imaging of Mr. Emery's hip.

It looks good from this angle. However, if we zoom and enhance:

No sir, I don't like it.

pictures ........... priceless

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I've mailed copies of those scans to Holmgren. He has decided that they indicate that Emery's health is "the bomb." I suppose this means he will seriously consider him.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Panger was talking about Bernie Parent's availability for Game 4 ...

Snider's interview on the Flyers site seems to hint at a front-line goalie wearing O&B next season. It's warmer in Philly than in Winnipeg, Bryz.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:18 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Bryz and Pronger had a good relationship in Anaheim.

Their time together made for an epic interview with Bryzgalov... 'He's a nice guy!' I can't access Youtube at work, but you can easily find it there.

I'm not entirely sold on Bryz, but it's either him or Vokoun in my eyes. JSG shouldn't be an option.

05-06-2011, 02:22 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd love to have Bryzgalov, but when is the last time this team signed a Russian(with NHL experience), in free agency? It's a trick question, the Flyers have never signed a player born in Russia with NHL experience in free agency. In fact, the only Russian player the Flyers have ever signed themselves was Bobrovsky. I just looked this up on flyershistory.com.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'd love to have Bryzgalov, but when is the last time this team signed a Russian(with NHL experience), in free agency? It's a trick question, the Flyers have never signed a player born in Russia with NHL experience in free agency. In fact, the only Russian player the Flyers have ever signed themselves was Bobrovsky. I just looked this up on flyershistory.com.
Well... they have drafted guys. Weren't the Flyers the first team to draft a Russian, or am I making that up?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Orange Crush 89

Every goalie mentioned throughout this thread would eventually fall victim to the same crap our current goalies do and come playoff time it would be rehashes of posts every time the opposition scores "WTF, GET A GOALIE!" because of some bone-headed lapse in defensive coverage.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well... they have drafted guys. Weren't the Flyers the first team to draft a Russian, or am I making that up?
Wasn't Tretiak (by the Habs) the first Russian drafted? He was picked in the early 80s.

He never signed there, obviously.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_th...lay_in_the_NHL

"Sergei Pryakhin, the first Russian to play with permission in the NHL, was the last player drafted-252nd overall-by Calgary in 1988"

I'd say not. I do believe Philly tried to get a player to defect or something, though. Or maybe I'm making that up.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_was_th...lay_in_the_NHL

"Sergei Pryakhin, the first Russian to play with permission in the NHL, was the last player drafted-252nd overall-by Calgary in 1988"

I'd say not. I do believe Philly tried to get a player to defect or something, though. Or maybe I'm making that up.
"With permission" is key. I think the Flyers had something to do with a Russian player in the late 70s... but, again, I could be making this up.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:31 PM
JVR21
G

Nooooooo

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Jester

Yep, here ya go:

Quote:
1975-76
Viktor Khatulev LW/D, Flyers

First Soviet-trained player drafted by NHL. Didn't find out he was drafted until 1978 and never played in NHL.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06274...#ixzz1LbQ4qYLT

Old
05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I think the Ukraine should count since it was part of the USSR (practically Russia) when Z was born.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:33 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

JSG really hasn't been that good for 3-4 years now; he's past his prime and has injury issues to boot.

Vokoun should be the guy the Flyers target. If that doesn't work out maybe a veteran like Roloson or Nabokov can be brought in. As much as I'd like Bryz, he's going to be looking for a long term, big money deal and we're not in position to hand one out.

Does anyone think that Boston would look to move Thomas or Rask in the off-season?

46zone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
JSG really hasn't been that good for 3-4 years now; he's past his prime and has injury issues to boot.

Vokoun should be the guy the Flyers target. If that doesn't work out maybe a veteran like Roloson or Nabokov can be brought in. As much as I'd like Bryz, he's going to be looking for a long term, big money deal and we're not in position to hand one out.

Does anyone think that Boston would look to move Thomas or Rask in the off-season?
I doubt they'd move Rask this offseason... Thomas they'd probably think about if you blew 'em away, but he has a NTC (possibly a NMC), so it isn't that easy. After next year, though, they're in a bind as Rask's contract expires and they're going to have to figure out what to do... long-term, Rask is surely who they want around.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:36 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:

I highly doubt it unless a team makes them an offer that blows them away. Thomas was so good this season I don't see how they can trade him, but they also know how old he is and the they need a good back up to keep him fresh as well as someone who can take over in a couple years. Rask showed he can play at a very high level last year so I think he fits the bill perfectly for the kind of guy they would want to pair up Thomas with. So I don't see it happening, and even less so if your think they might trade either to the Flyers for anything less than a Kings ransom.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Yep, here ya go:
Great use of a draft pick.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I highly doubt it unless a team makes them an offer that blows them away. Thomas was so good this season I don't see how they can trade him, but they also know how old he is and the they need a good back up to keep him fresh as well as someone who can take over in a couple years. Rask showed he can play at a very high level last year so I think he fits the bill perfectly for the kind of guy they would want to pair up Thomas with. So I don't see it happening, and even less so if your think they might trade either to the Flyers for anything less than a Kings ransom.
Depends how cold blooded they are... Rask is extremely good himself, so it isn't like they're going to have a major talent drop if they were to move Thomas. Additionally, now is clearly the year to move Thomas coming off of this season. That's a move that requires some brass balls, and Thomas' approval, however.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I think the Ukraine should count since it was part of the USSR (practically Russia) when Z was born.
I once made the mistake of saying to a Ukrainian girl that "Ukrainians and Russians are basically the same"...I was then verbally **** on by her and her friends. The USSR, namely Stalin, was starving the Ukrainians in the 1930s and they ended up killing 1-2 million people. Hell, when the Nazis invaded the eastern front the Ukrainians thought they were being liberated.

46zone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Great use of a draft pick.
Draft don't matter.

It is good evidence to dispute the belief that the Flyers hate Russians and always have. Real reason we haven't had a lot of Russians here is that the Flyers have embraced North American hockey to such a degree that European players didn't fit in as well.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
I once made the mistake of saying to a Ukrainian girl that "Ukrainians and Russians are basically the same"...I was then verbally **** on by her and her friends. The USSR, namely Stalin, was starving the Ukrainians in the 1930s and they ended up killing 1-2 million people. Hell, when the Nazis invaded the eastern front the Ukrainians thought they were being liberated.
Russians still love Stalin. True story.