HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

2011 WCF Game 4 - Vancouver at Nashville - 830PM EST - Wake Up! Edition

Old
05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
jlsg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Last night's game showed me we need a player that can carry the puck into the zone and generate scoring chances. It's a shame Radulov pulled his stunt, he's exactly what we need, a legit offensive player. When Mike Fisher is your best offensive player, you're going to struggle, especially against a tight trapping team like Vancouver.
Talking today with a co-worker about how much we miss Lombardi's speed against this team. I really think that this is one series he would have made a difference.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:25 PM
JacklegJack

It's hard to hypothesize about Lombardi because if he was healthy all season do we still go out and get Fisher? And if we don't get Fisher, do we even make it past the Ducks? While I definitely would have preferred a healthy Lombardi than three and a half million dollars being thrown out the window, I'm pretty happy with how our team has performed up until now, and changing even one element of that could have made the difference between even being here in the first place or not. Regardless, I do agree that if he had come back healthy for this series it definitely would have been some much-needed help... sigh.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:45 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Last night's game showed me we need a player that can carry the puck into the zone and generate scoring chances.
Last night and the last 4 years...

And we probably need 2 or 3 of said players to truly compete for the Cup.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Last night and the last 4 years...

And we probably need 2 or 3 of said players to truly compete for the Cup.
I wonder if Wilson can be one of those forwards dulz. Watching him play, he has the talent we need with the puck, but his decision making is not where it needs to be. Too many half-hearted dump ins coupled with the "must-do-everything-myself" complex, has him in Trotz's doghouse. Maybe he learns, maybe he doesn't....

05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I wonder if Wilson can be one of those forwards dulz. Watching him play, he has the talent we need with the puck, but his decision making is not where it needs to be. Too many half-hearted dump ins coupled with the "must-do-everything-myself" complex, has him in Trotz's doghouse. Maybe he learns, maybe he doesn't....
I don't think he has the speed to create separation from players and he doesn't have the head to make smart passes to open up space yet either.

Really for a team that had a reputation for almost it's whole franchise's life as a speedy team this group of forwards speed is nothing really to brag about and obviously we lack a speedy dangler type to carry the puck through the neutral zone and set up plays.

Erat has good speed and stickhandling skills. Legwand has decent speed but is more of a cerebral player. Ward has cinderblocks on his skates. Fisher is not quite the skater I thought we were getting and isn't great with the puck. Hornqvist will never be a great skater and certainly isn't going to weave in and out of defenses with the puck. SK has shown flashes of being a great puck carrier and sometimes I swear he is faster and more agile with the puck but he has been very inconsistent and tries to force tough passes ALL the time.

As for the bottom six, none of those players have the head or speed or stickhandling to fulfill that need. Toots has the speed but obviously doesn't have anything close to resembling the hands or playmaking skills needed.

This team needs a few speedy stickhandling distributors to really take it's offense to the next level.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:31 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
The CBC crew are homers ...well..Jim is a big Canuck homer..i think he got his start doing canuck games..a.nd the other guy is just not very good at his job.

One thing i will say though..they both...well...Jim especially...he really knows his hockey. like ..he knows players on every team..he understands the game.
Two things:

#1 - the CBC crew is NOT homers. Jim Hughson may be a Canuck fan, but he is a very professional broadcaster and its hard to tell. The rest of the crew, Ronnie Mac, Craig Simpson, etc. are Canuck haters. Clearly.

#2 - as much as Craig Simpson is anti-Canuck, he is an outstanding broadcaster who knows the game as good as anyone out there.

There is no American Broadcast that can hold a candle to Jim and Craig.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:40 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I tried to sleep but I'm still mad and wide awake.

I didn't see the intensity out of every player that we needed. I wish guys would stop looking for the pass and just shoot the damn puck. Put it on goal! Or at least aim for the general net area. You can't score by passing to the wall when there is NO ONE THERE! And you can't score by passing to the middle when there are 5 Canucks and 2 Predators there!

And why do we continue to try to enter the zone 1 on 4? It NEVER works. I guess when you allow it to happen every game you expect it to work for you as well.

We got beat to pucks, too. Instead of going after the puck, half the time it looked like we were waiting for the puck and the Canuck player just jumped in front of him and took the puck away.

Nice goal by Franson. He just stood there with his arms in the air waiting for everyone to figure it out and come hug him, lol.

I wish people would realize his name is FRAN-son. It's NOT Frahn-zen.

Are you serious? He really said that? *******.

Yeah Weber, Suter, Klein, Blum, Fanson, Legwand, Erat, Wilson, Hornqvist, Tootoo, Geoffrion, Rinne, Lindback, O'Reilly, Spaling are all such rejects that they are playing for the team that drafted them. And I'm pretty sure Fisher has only been traded once and was in high demand. Maybe Ward or Kostitsyn or O'Brien or Smithson could be considered rejects but 3 of those were only traded once. But yeah, a team of rejects. Weber is such a reject that he was probably the best Canadian Dman in the Olympics.

Good thing you weren't at the game. I have NEVER in my life seen such drunk-ass ignorant *******s in my life. PLEASE give me Red Wing or Blackhawk or Maple Leaf or Flyer fans ANYDAY. (Some were good, like the Canuck fan couple that rolled their eyes at the one group of Canuck fans yelling "Stanley Cup!" to the Preds fans...they commented that the Preds and Canucks had the same amount of Cups.) It's a shame that the lame losers are the ones that come here and give the rest a bad name. They have absolutely embarrassed themselves and the rest of their fan base and the team. Although I will say the ones that were here on Tuesday were slightly worse than Thursday.

Yeah he had the "audacity" to talk about people complaining about embellishment when he and his GM did THE SAME THING AGAINST CHICAGO! He laughs during his press confs. when they win but after a loss he can't show his face he has to have his asst coach do the press conf.

It was Kesler that elbowed Smithson in the nose. And got Fisher with the high stick. I used to like him as an American. But I have lost all respect for him. And Burrows is a damn disgrace. Anytime he gets breathed on he looks to the refs and whines for a call. I guess Smithson should have thrown his head back and flopped onto the ice like he got shot instead of carrying on with the play.

SOB was following through with his shot. Someone tell me again that there is no high stick penalty for following through with the shot? He took the shot and on the follow through the Canuck player came up high on him and that shoved OBs stick up high.

Klein got called for a crosscheck, but when one of their players tackles one of ours in front of the net it's nothing.

I mean it's sad that when on a national pregame show, the host asks the guest, "What does Barry Trotz need to do to get the team a win?" and the guest (A Canadian game analyst) says "Get some help from the officials" and the guest host (a current NHLer) says "They sure haven't had any in this series."

If they are going to call it one way, call it BOTH WAYS!!!!

I'm not going to say I'm cheering for the Sharks because our team is dumb enough that they'll go out and win when no one expects them to fight anymore.

See y'all Monday.
Yeah, only Vancouver Canuck players embellish, dive or try to draw penalties. No other team or player in the NHL does.

AV stood up for his players after Trotz attempted to sway the refs by basically stating that his players were embarassing them. Suter has no cause to argue a penalty call where he basically head tackles another player for no reason.

I don't understand why Gillis' rant is so chicken**** to you, but when Trotz does it for days on end, then its ok.

Anyway. The bottom line here.....and this is not meant to flame.......is that Nashville simply is not as good a team as Vancouver. That's the bottom line. Nashville hopes and prays they can win 2-1 or 1-0 and that their goalie will stand on his head. That never gets you far in the playoffs anymore. It's a flawed strategy.

Nashville has had a great run here, but it looks to be over. Unless there is some magical transformation in play, I cannot fathom a scenario where they win three straight games against Vancouver, two of them being in Vancouver.

Nashville needs scoring. If Brad Richards would sign there, they should go balls out for him. Nashville, from what I hear, is a desireable place to play for players in the NHL. It offers a nice setting, good fanbase, and the ability for a player to walk the streets without getting mobbed. Hopefully Nashville can find that offensive force, because until they do, this system play is only going to get the team so far.

Old
05-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Crows*

Just a little light hearted fun.

A video made by some canuck fans Don't get mad!

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Just a little light hearted fun.

A video made by some canuck fans Don't get mad!

that's kind of boring ... and yes I'm talking about the original as well

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
I don't understand why Gillis' rant is so chicken**** to you, but when Trotz does it for days on end, then its ok.
It`s a well know fact Gillis sacrifices a virgin before every game.

The Canucks are evil incarnate. Get with the program!

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:28 PM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Jim Hughson may be a Canuck fan, but he is a very professional broadcaster and its hard to tell.
It might be hard to tell if you're deaf, but to anyone else with the gift of hearing and/or closed captioning it's not.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

I normally don't post in other teams GDT, but I felt the need to here.

I understand how frusterating losing a series can be (Trust me, 40 years without a cup?? Only twice to the Conf Finals???), but you guys seriously have a very good thing going in Nashville. You have an extremely solid Core (Rinne, Weber, Suter), and are essentially where the Canucks were maybe 4 years ago when we were known as a trapping/defense team.

I think as long as you guys keep going along the path you're on, you will be a very competitive team for many years to come. If the owners open up their wallets a little bit and bring in a few players, that could be very soon.

You guys have a VERY solid Management group, one of the top 3 coaches in the NHL, draft as well as anyone in the NHL, and you have plenty of young players that are only going to get better.

Obviously you guys need a few LEGIT top 6 forwards, including a true #1 Center (Brad Richards, etc).

Trust me, you're in a far better spot than 75% of the other NHL teams.

I might be concerned that if this offseason you don't see management adding some TRUE offensive players. It's easy enough to find some 20 goal scorers, but you guys need some TRUE offensive players, which would obviously help out on your PP as well.

Hopefully this offseason is an exciting one for you.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Adz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I normally don't post in other teams GDT, but I felt the need to here.

I understand how frusterating losing a series can be (Trust me, 40 years without a cup?? Only twice to the Conf Finals???), but you guys seriously have a very good thing going in Nashville. You have an extremely solid Core (Rinne, Weber, Suter), and are essentially where the Canucks were maybe 4 years ago when we were known as a trapping/defense team.

I think as long as you guys keep going along the path you're on, you will be a very competitive team for many years to come. If the owners open up their wallets a little bit and bring in a few players, that could be very soon.

You guys have a VERY solid Management group, one of the top 3 coaches in the NHL, draft as well as anyone in the NHL, and you have plenty of young players that are only going to get better.

Obviously you guys need a few LEGIT top 6 forwards, including a true #1 Center (Brad Richards, etc).

Trust me, you're in a far better spot than 75% of the other NHL teams.

I might be concerned that if this offseason you don't see management adding some TRUE offensive players. It's easy enough to find some 20 goal scorers, but you guys need some TRUE offensive players, which would obviously help out on your PP as well.

Hopefully this offseason is an exciting one for you.
You haven't won yet, Bucko.

Your other points are well taken.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:10 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackleg Jack View Post
It might be hard to tell if you're deaf, but to anyone else with the gift of hearing and/or closed captioning it's not.
Sarcasm aside, I get your point. It's easy to be deaf to those that share your viewpoint, whereas those that oppose it, you seem to analyze every word.

I'd concede that Hughson might be difficult to stomach for non-Canuck fans.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:12 PM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
You haven't won yet, Bucko.

Your other points are well taken.
This is true. Ask Todd Bertuzzi about how the potential of a team coming back down three one.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:36 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Doesn't really feel any better this morning. Depressing.

The thing that sucks the most is that a lot of people who weren't previously into the Preds bought tickets to Game 3 and/or 4, and I'm not sure the team offered enough for a non-fan to be willing to come back.

Hopefully we can somehow win tomorrow...even though the series will still probably be over, at least we can have another game on home ice and cash in some extra revenue one more time.

Now I have to go to sleep in preparation for work tonight...unfortunately, in my job I can't just show up tired and off my game or my patients die. Must be a nice luxury for the Preds!
I know exactly what you mean, AEM- this morning was very dark and cloudy even with sun shining outside. Despite the aggravating, sloppy offense displayed by the home team, I would certainly hope the energy and NOISE surrounding the games would be enough for non-fans to at least think about returning. For some reason, the game 3 crowd just seemed flat especially at the first; how in the world that occured since it was the team's 1st EVER second round playoff game. The environment last night, though, took me back to the 1st round clincher, which will NEVER be forgotten. PLEASE, PLEASE PREDS...give us an opportunity of turning up the noise and energy 1 MORE notch this Monday.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:58 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Do you guys mind if I did the GDT tomorrow?
Go for it.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:46 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Yeah, only Vancouver Canuck players embellish, dive or try to draw penalties. No other team or player in the NHL does.
*I don't recall anyone here ever saying that other teams don't but we are playing your team and it sure looks like they do.

AV stood up for his players after Trotz attempted to sway the refs by basically stating that his players were embarassing them. Suter has no cause to argue a penalty call where he basically head tackles another player for no reason.
I believe Suter was complaining about the non-call on Kesler's elbow prior to him taking Kesler down. It was a stupid penalty, nuff said

Days on end? Really? He answered a question about the Weber penalty the day after. I wouldn't call it days on end

Anyway. The bottom line here.....and this is not meant to flame.......is that Nashville simply is not as good a team as Vancouver. That's the bottom line. Nashville hopes and prays they can win 2-1 or 1-0 and that their goalie will stand on his head. That never gets you far in the playoffs anymore. It's a flawed strategy.
Really? Well I'll be damned.

Nashville has had a great run here, but it looks to be over. Unless there is some magical transformation in play, I cannot fathom a scenario where they win three straight games against Vancouver, two of them being in Vancouver.
It is possible but not likely

Nashville needs scoring. If Brad Richards would sign there, they should go balls out for him. Nashville, from what I hear, is a desireable place to play for players in the NHL. It offers a nice setting, good fanbase, and the ability for a player to walk the streets without getting mobbed. Hopefully Nashville can find that offensive force, because until they do, this system play is only going to get the team so far.
Really, once again a facinating insight You do realize that cap space does not equal actual cash on hand for us. Poile has a certain defenseman to sign this summer so going out getting Brad Richards is not likely to be on Poile's radar. Not to mention we have rather a plethora of centers, some of whom are on IR right now. Any other brilliant suggestions? No than please go share your vast hockey knowledge on your own board, kaythxbai

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:34 AM
token grinder

Quote:

suter want complaining about his penalty. he was asking where the call for kesler high sticking fisher and drawing blood, which was a reasonable request since it happened in front of the ref.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:58 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrastar View Post
I don't doubt you, but is there any chance I can get a link to one of these next day pressers? I don't think I've ever seen a presser done by Bowness. I'm now suddenly very intrigued!
I remember it. It was either Sunday or Monday after our double OT win. I remember because he had this camel colored, what looked to be leather, sport jacket. I remember thinking what in the world is he wearing. I don't recall anything he said, I just stared at the jacket my Dad called a Reg Dunlap jacket. It was just funny that AV was at the ones before and having a laugh a few times but this one time he sent his ast coach to answer questions about what was going wrong/what they had to do/etc etc. It must have been Monday because it was on the NHL Network shows where they were showing clips of the press conferences for the day.

Quote:

First of all no one single person here has ever said that ONLY the Canucks dive. EVERY SINGLE PLAYER IN THE NHL has taken a dive at some point in their career, some more than others, some make a damn art out of it.

Second, I said it was funny that AV was complaining about people complaining about embellishing when his own GM did the same thing. The "audacity" part was just using his own words.

Third, I never said anything about Trotz complaining about anything. Don't put words in my post that aren't there.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:34 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Two things:

#1 - the CBC crew is NOT homers. Jim Hughson may be a Canuck fan, but he is a very professional broadcaster and its hard to tell. The rest of the crew, Ronnie Mac, Craig Simpson, etc. are Canuck haters. Clearly.

#2 - as much as Craig Simpson is anti-Canuck, he is an outstanding broadcaster who knows the game as good as anyone out there.

There is no American Broadcast that can hold a candle to Jim and Craig.
Quote:
Sarcasm aside, I get your point. It's easy to be deaf to those that share your viewpoint, whereas those that oppose it, you seem to analyze every word.

I'd concede that Hughson might be difficult to stomach for non-Canuck fans.
So which is it? Is Hughson a homer or not? First you say the CBC crew aren't homers then you follow it up by saying Hughson is a Canuck fan. Then you say it may be difficult to stomach for non-Canuck fans? Sure sounds like he's a homer to me and to be perfectly honest, the Tuesday night broadcast was one of the worst I've ever heard in my 41 years of life. I've watched sports since I was a kid so let's say, close to 35 years. I have never been so agitated and annoyed at listening to a broadcast team as I was the other night. It was Vancouver can do no wrong and Nashville isn't worthy of the ice that the Canucks are skating on. I have no problem with a broadcast team being in their teams favor but to the extent that Hughson was was absolutely ridiculous. If I could've driven 650 miles to punch the guy in the face to shut him up I would've.

It takes a good broadcast journalist to see the game for what it is and call it correctly. All the penalties Vancouver took were shams and all the calls on Nashville were correct. It's as if Vancouver never does anything wrong on the ice. It was complete and utter BS.

If you enjoy coming here to rankle this fan base, fine. Be prepared to get an angry response from me every single time you come here and post your crap. Thanks and have a great day.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So which is it? Is Hughson a homer or not? First you say the CBC crew aren't homers then you follow it up by saying Hughson is a Canuck fan. Then you say it may be difficult to stomach for non-Canuck fans? Sure sounds like he's a homer to me and to be perfectly honest, the Tuesday night broadcast was one of the worst I've ever heard in my 41 years of life. I've watched sports since I was a kid so let's say, close to 35 years. I have never been so agitated and annoyed at listening to a broadcast team as I was the other night. It was Vancouver can do no wrong and Nashville isn't worthy of the ice that the Canucks are skating on. I have no problem with a broadcast team being in their teams favor but to the extent that Hughson was was absolutely ridiculous. If I could've driven 650 miles to punch the guy in the face to shut him up I would've.

It takes a good broadcast journalist to see the game for what it is and call it correctly. All the penalties Vancouver took were shams and all the calls on Nashville were correct. It's as if Vancouver never does anything wrong on the ice. It was complete and utter BS.

If you enjoy coming here to rankle this fan base, fine. Be prepared to get an angry response from me every single time you come here and post your crap. Thanks and have a great day.
+1

But have a crap day.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote