HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
One things for certain, if GMGM gets let go, he'll have another job as quickly as he wants one.
He's already on the short list of 29 other teams right there with Bruce right?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:37 PM
WcRoenick97

I mean, if we keep these two morons around for another year, who is to say we don't keep them around FOR ANOTHER YEAR after next season's playoff failures? Try and spin it all you want, but the majority of this fanbase has no more faith in Boudreau. We're all going to expect failure next April/May. He is NOT THE COACH FOR THIS TEAM.

Let's rewind to the past 3 postseasons...

2 years ago
Go down 2-0 to a lesser Rangers team, claw back to win in 7
Go up 2-0 on the Penguins, proceed to blow that 2 game lead, and get blown out on home ice in Game 7

1 year ago
Blow a 3-1 lead as the President Trophy winner to the EIGHTH SEED, lose in Game 7 at home.

This year
Finally make it past the first round without any hiccups to a lesser Rangers team.
Oh hey, get SWEPT 4-0 by a 5th seed Lightning team.

Enough is enough, something is rotten in Denmark, and it's the three blind mice running the show. I'm starting to think Uncle Ted only cares about lining his pockets with more dough. Sure sports is a business, but DON'T BUY A TEAM if you aren't committed to making it a winner. This city is DYING for a winner. The Caps aren't one, no matter how well they do in the regular season. There will be so much apathy directed towards the Caps this upcoming season if no changes are made on the coaching staff. It's sickening we are wasting some of the prime years of this club because a GMGM is too proud to admit he made mistakes. Excuses, excuses, excuses...excuses are for children and losers.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post

I get that your thing is to try and belittle posts without actually positing a position yourself, but, do you actually disagree with what I said (the 29 teams thing is your own construction)?

Because I'm pretty sure both of them will have jobs in the NHL in their current roles, and GMGM will be even more attractive to clubs than BB.

05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
I get that your thing is to try and belittle posts without actually positing a position yourself, but, do you actually disagree with what I said (the 29 teams thing is your own construction)?

Because I'm pretty sure both of them will have jobs in the NHL in their current roles, and GMGM will be even more attractive to clubs than BB.
IMO, the book is out on both, and while they would be attractive to other clubs ( when/if cut loose ), they wouldnt be attractive to every club. quite possibly not attractive to over half the clubs.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:08 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
IMO, the book is out on both, and while they would be attractive to other clubs ( when/if cut loose ), they wouldnt be attractive to every club. quite possibly not attractive to over half the clubs.
Uh, I never said every other club. I named about 5 clubs that would be extremely interested in BB, though there's probably 5-10 that would be, and I said GMGM wouldn't be out of work any longer than he wanted to be, both of which I think are accurate.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
How many current NHL coaches have won the Cup?
Edit, nevermind, that was wrong. That was the number of GMs.

Double Edit: Heh, turns out the number was right anyway. 6 current NHL head coaches have won Cups. So 20% of the league.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Uh, I never said every other club. I named about 5 clubs that would be extremely interested in BB, though there's probably 5-10 that would be, and I said GMGM wouldn't be out of work any longer than he wanted to be, both of which I think are accurate.

you did, in this thread? i dont see that.

but no matter, you're actually less generous than i am.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:22 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
you did, in this thread? i dont see that.

but no matter, you're actually less generous than i am.
Coaching thread.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I'm not sure it's fair to point to the other coaches that didn't win the Cup this year as a means of playing devil's advocate.

How many coaches can say they have one of the top two players in the world coupled with an impressive supporting cast? That certainly has to be taken into consideration when comparing Bruce's playoff failures to other coaches playoff failures.

We are a failed draft pick or two away from losing that salary cap advantage we've enjoyed from developing cheap in-house talent.

The fear for me is that if we continue to give Bruce the reigns and he continues to fail, we're bound to have a bad drafting year or two which will force our hands in signing FAs that are (obviously) not on ELC weakening the team's overall talent level.

GMGM has done an excellent job of perfecting this strategy of strengthening the talent to dollars ratio. You couple that with an owner who is willing to spend to the cap max and willing to bury failed contracts this team will still be near this elite talent level for the next few years. Kuznetsov, Eakin, Holtby, Orlov all have a very realistic chance of being able to flush out expensive free agents and perform at a very high level.

Even if we have a bad drafting year or two we'll still be very competitive for years to come, just not quite as competitive as we were the past two and probably next few years.

It's hard to imagine in the salary cap era compiling a better team than we currently have and will have for another couple years - I see this as our peak years. These peak years can continue if GMGM keeps nailing draft picks but it's unrealistic to expect continued massive draft success. I don't want to waste these years continuing to give a coach chance after chance when there are clear questions about his ability to get this team over the hump.

What do we have to lose by firing Bruce? Nothing additionally, because it appears we're destined for early playoff exits under Boudreau.

And none of this even factors in a catastrophic injury to a star player.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Well, we are in a thread where many are ripping GMGM for being the cause of the failure of this club.

it's either he built a team that could win it all, and didn't. Therefore, the blame is on the coach.

Or he didn't build a good team, and then Bruce is less culpable.

There's a lot of middle ground, but there must not be for some. There's plenty of failure to go around. But I don't think much of it should rest at McPhee's feet. He put together a team, while possibly a bit flawed, that certainly could have done better than what it did.

Though, I have to wonder, how much of this offseason avoided a problem that was tried to be corrected mid season. You can't change horses mid stream, and sometimes, switching to a new system is too hard in the middle of the year.

maybe a full season, committed to some new approach (if that's defense first, fine) with a few new parts that fit, might be the best option.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Midnight Judges

I think some of things being said in this thread are in the 'heat of the moment.' Give yourselves some time to cool off, and really look at the situation rationally. The fact is GMGM has built a solid team and a deep organization. There is a lot of young talent. The plan - his plan - is working. GMGM stays. This shouldn't even be a question.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
txpd

personally, i still wonder how you win a championship with a shutdown defense pair of two rookies playing in front of a rookie goalie and behind a rookie center.

i can be persuaded that not having veteran core players under lenthy contracts is was not an option if full use was going to be gotten out of the numerous rookie players, but then you can't realistically be expected to win.

i'd be fine accepting that as the reason for failure because those players should grow out of it. if they lost because alzner and carlson and johansson and neuvirth got exposed for being inexperienced, i could take that. some of that happened.

for me it wasnt johansson, but backstrom that was the weak link. that i dont get.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think it's fairly clear that my position is, that I think it's absurd to assume a GM and coach who have repeatedly failed in embarrassing fashion 2 years in a row, would immediately be rehired right after they were fired....

The year after, for sure....but you guys make it sound like there are teams waiting sh*tcan their coach and GM so they can hire Bruce and George.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
personally, i still wonder how you win a championship with a shutdown defense pair of two rookies playing in front of a rookie goalie and behind a rookie center.

i can be persuaded that not having veteran core players under lenthy contracts is was not an option if full use was going to be gotten out of the numerous rookie players, but then you can't realistically be expected to win.

i'd be fine accepting that as the reason for failure because those players should grow out of it. if they lost because alzner and carlson and johansson and neuvirth got exposed for being inexperienced, i could take that. some of that happened.

for me it wasnt johansson, but backstrom that was the weak link. that i dont get.
Our problems went well beyond the rookies. If we lost the series 4-3 or 4-2 with a few blunders here and there by the rookies, I would agree with you. But whether MoJo, Alzner, or Carlson were playing or not, our offense was pretty bad in the playoffs and pretty bad all season long. They did not look like a team that goes through a lot of repetitions in practice. Perhaps Bruce depends a little too much on his words and not enough on putting them through repetitions.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Our problems went well beyond the rookies. If we lost the series 4-3 or 4-2 with a few blunders here and there by the rookies, I would agree with you. But whether MoJo, Alzner, or Carlson were playing or not, our offense was pretty bad in the playoffs and pretty bad all season long. They did not look like a team that goes through a lot of repetitions in practice. Perhaps Bruce depends a little too much on his words and not enough on putting them through repetitions.
Agreed. Taking the digital approach of cup/no-cup is moronic.

They got swept... SWEPT. And not by a better group of players. Better team... must be. Better collection of players available??? Not a chance in hell.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:41 PM
txpd

what about being swept diminishes the mia performance of nicklas backstrom? if backstrom is providing his game, it effects every facit of the capitals game.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Judges View Post
I think some of things being said in this thread are in the 'heat of the moment.' Give yourselves some time to cool off, and really look at the situation rationally. The fact is GMGM has built a solid team and a deep organization. There is a lot of young talent. The plan - his plan - is working. GMGM stays. This shouldn't even be a question.
What in God's name are you talking about? What "plan" is working? To build a great regular season team that embarasses itself every year in the playoffs? Or is it the plan to be just good enough to sell enough tickets that you maintain job security for 17 years?

Why don't you take a look around the league at the higher standards set by teams with less talent who advance further and with similar talent who manage to win 4 rounds.

It is incredibly sad and frankly outrageous that Boudreau and McPhee would be kept after a 3rd consecutive humiliation.

Go Redskins.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:49 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post

Yeah, McPhee will get a job with a bottom feeder based on the laurels of his scouting staff and do absolutely dick with it.

He's never won. He's never been a winner. It is what it is. If fans in this city think things will change they are delusional, just like last year, and are only wasting one more year of their once "young talent".

Old
05-06-2011, 06:44 PM
TRASHCAT

the scouting teams the reason why this team is talented. not mcphees meh trading record.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 07:44 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRASHCAT View Post
the scouting teams the reason why this team is talented. not mcphees meh trading record.
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't McPhee put together the scouting team? Aren't they under his direction? Finally, doesn't he have the final say on which players among the scouts' favorites he chooses? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his role.

As for his trades, I though the Fleischmann for Hannan trade was pretty good. The Federov trade a few seasons ago was also good. The Steckel trade was good. The Wideman trade was good.

My only beef with McPhee is his devotion to Boudreau. These guys have clearly become close friends and I think it's clouding his judgement.

Old
05-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Atlas

Quote:
My only beef with McPhee is his devotion to Boudreau.

You have no beef with McPhee's neverending playoff fails?

<BLINK>

?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
You have no beef with McPhee's neverending playoff fails?

<BLINK>

?
Not when I think he has provided the necessary talent. Not knowing that there is more talent in the pipeline. Not when he has us in position to be contenders for many years more. In a word, no.

My hope is that Ted gives McPhee an ultimatum and makes it clear that his future rides on Bruce's success. Maybe that will get McPhee to fire Bruce, or maybe that will get McPhee to give Bruce some stipulations for continuing as a coach (such as cutting back on optional practices. spending more time developing team chemistry on the ice, etc.)

Old
05-06-2011, 08:10 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't McPhee put together the scouting team? Aren't they under his direction? Finally, doesn't he have the final say on which players among the scouts' favorites he chooses? I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his role.

As for his trades, I though the Fleischmann for Hannan trade was pretty good. The Federov trade a few seasons ago was also good. The Steckel trade was good. The Wideman trade was good.

My only beef with McPhee is his devotion to Boudreau. These guys have clearly become close friends and I think it's clouding his judgement.
What about his team's lack of conditioning? Ovechkin, Backstrom and Green have all had conditioning issues under this admin. Lemaire's remarks about Steckel stick out. Is it not on the GM to hire the trainers and the coach to establish the culture? He's a part of that equation as well.

What other Pro Sports franchise would accept this kind of failure from their GM and Coach? I can't think of a single one.

It's absurd.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Atlas

It won't work, Dude.

McPhee is out of his league. He has made some nice acquisitions--but the sum of its parts is a dreadful monstrosity. And McPhee thinks it's a good team!

JFC!!!!!!!!

Old
05-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post

It's absurd.

It sure is absurd.

I'm astonished at how many Caps fans still believe in the Tooth Fairy. Maybe the Caps will have a legit shot at the Cup when Ted moves on in twenty years. They might as well move this dog and pony show to Winnipeg.