HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What to do with all of this playoff revenue?

Old
05-06-2011, 10:23 PM
JamesBond*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

Maybe he does have some secret desire to play in Vancouver....
That's all I was saying. When you look at where he is from, it's not really a stretch to think that it would be a desirable destination.

That said, do I think he'll leave Nashville? No. He's their franchise player. He'll get locked up to some long term cap friendly type deal - like Duncan Keith.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:05 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
That's all I was saying. When you look at where he is from, it's not really a stretch to think that it would be a desirable destination.

That said, do I think he'll leave Nashville? No. He's their franchise player. He'll get locked up to some long term cap friendly type deal - like Duncan Keith.
No it's not but does Vancouver have the cap room to sign him and keep their other players? Look at Chicago. Big chunks of salary tied up in two players cost them their depth this year. Be careful what you wish for. And no one really cried after Hamhuis left. He was our resident whipping boy last season. We have guys who were able to take his place and we did not miss him all that much.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:30 AM
token grinder

Quote:
You lose all credibility when you make a statement like that. Laughable.
i understand why you say this, but the preds are more than likely happy right now considering he would be the third best dman here, and teetering 4th (him and klein weren't too far apart last year. and watching the 8 games between the clubs this year, i wouldn't say they are far off still. even then, with blum, franson, josi, ellis, roussel and a kid from sweden (name escapes me) all chomping at the bit now and in the next year, and all playing games similar to dans (puck moving dman) we could afford to let the guy go and not bat an eye.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:50 AM
JamesBond*

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i understand why you say this, but the preds are more than likely happy right now considering he would be the third best dman here, and teetering 4th (him and klein weren't too far apart last year. and watching the 8 games between the clubs this year, i wouldn't say they are far off still. even then, with blum, franson, josi, ellis, roussel and a kid from sweden (name escapes me) all chomping at the bit now and in the next year, and all playing games similar to dans (puck moving dman) we could afford to let the guy go and not bat an eye.
Being able to afford to lose a guy is a lot different than cutting a guy lose and not wanting him back.

To say the Preds are better with Hamhuis gone is asanine.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:15 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
You lose all credibility when you make a statement like that. Laughable.
Not really. Hammer was replaceable and the folks on this board knew it last year. Suter and Weber - not so easily. Go back and read our threads on Humhuis. We have a lot of talented young defensemen. However good you think Hammer is, we have guys that can replace him... Off the top of my head there is Blum, Josi, Ellis.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:35 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Being able to afford to lose a guy is a lot different than cutting a guy lose and not wanting him back.

I'd say we know more about Hammer's usefulness to Nashville after watching him for years on a daily basis. How many Preds games have you seen? 5-7?? Maybe 10??? It's asinine for you to suggest that one of the deepest D-men prospect pools in the NHL can't replace a 2nd pairing D-man with a lot less money. If we had resigned Hamhuis we waste a lot of money on a marginally better player. Maybe he's more valuable to Vancouver because you don't have the prospects Nashville has? Of course I wouldn't be so presumptuous to watch a few of your games and say Vancouver made a monumental mistake by letting O'Brien go. Surely the Canucks would be a much better team if SOB were playing for Vancouver. It's asinine to think otherwise.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:06 AM
cleangene

Quote:

With Hammer-1st round playoffs exits each year. Without Hammer..did that happen again this year????

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
JacklegJack

I always liked Hamhuis as a person (well, up until he started making cracks at Nashville once he was gone) but as a player he wasn't exactly a game-breaker who could single-handedly make us a better team like you're trying to imply. On a team like Vancouver who is not known for good defence I can see how he would be much more valuable and I can understand why you'd stick up for him so much. The thing is, we have a few of the best junior D-men coming up through our ranks (being from Vancouver, I imagine you've heard of someone named Jon Blum) and signing Hamhuis simply takes away ice time from these guys as well. Hamhuis isn't a bad player, don't get me wrong, but I, personally, am much more excited to see what Blum, Josi, and Ellis can do for us than paying three/four times as much just to keep an OK veteran.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:20 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

This is a topic on what the Preds will do with the extra playoff revenue. Not the Hamhuis situation. Please find a better topic for this conversation.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:29 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
This is a topic on what the Preds will do with the extra playoff revenue. Not the Hamhuis situation. Please find a better topic for this conversation.
This. If anyone wants to discuss rumors or previous Predator players there are threads to do it, this one is not it.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

It's obvious a warning in normal size text is not enough so here it is again: This thread will not be for discussing Hamhuis. Do so in an appropriate thread.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Would you guys have space to take in a contract? Someone like Hemsky?

Gobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
To be honest this up coming year I think Nashville could.

Old
05-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I think that depends entirely on Dumont/Lombardi. If they are still regular scratches, then no we probably can't. Otherwise I could see it if the term isn't too long.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Adz

I don't know if this falls under expenditures the team would take or capital improvements that the city would take care of, but I'd like the following things to be addressed at the arena: latches that work in the restrooms, a soap dispenser at the right or left of EVERY sink, and it's a lot better, but more attention to the stickiness of the floors.

Besides that, please sign Weber and Suter...and Kostitsyn because I like him.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:45 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

a few more wins should allow the preds not only sign all their guys, but add some pieces and sell more tickets for next year

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
That would defiantly be tempting. However we really need to assess the need for size and strength in the lineup and Hemsky may not be the solution. Man I miss Hartnell.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Top 6 Spaling

IMO, nothing. I think we should wait until next offseason to do anything bold. We are looking at having to re-sgin Rinne, Suter, and Wilson (who may need a raise, we'll see after Weber and Kostitsyn this year. I think we should either sign all of the big 3 this summer and get it over with or wait. I don't want to sign someone that puts us in a position where we have to choose between Suter and Rinne. Stockpile the money, go crazy next offseason.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:39 AM
Reviled
Partisan

Aren't we at or near the contract limit, already?

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:55 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
don't forget Cogen's recent interview guys, Predators are looking to break even with the playoff revenue.

I'd imagine Lombardi and Sully are off the books after this season, but that money goes to re-signing Ward, Spaling, Weber, etc.

Don't think there's going to be a big splash (per the usual)

Oh, don't forget Martin Erat's pulling down $6m next year.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:19 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

The only difference between cap figures and cash figures is 2 million dollars. I have calculated about 4 million dollars cash wise under the cap after signing SK and Weber and Buying out Dumont with 21 players on the roster. Leaving a spot open for a 1st line winger and a 3rd liner.

Old
05-08-2011, 05:27 PM
predsblog

The only free agents I'd be interested in are Brooks Laich and Kevin Bieksa. Why blow franchise-player money on a another center with concussion problems?

Just buy out Bouillon, trade Dumont, and let Sully leave...

predsblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Easy: pay off all the regular season debt we built up...

aka, break even for the year

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:28 PM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
IMO, nothing. I think we should wait until next offseason to do anything bold. We are looking at having to re-sgin Rinne, Suter, and Wilson (who may need a raise, we'll see after Weber and Kostitsyn this year. I think we should either sign all of the big 3 this summer and get it over with or wait. I don't want to sign someone that puts us in a position where we have to choose between Suter and Rinne. Stockpile the money, go crazy next offseason.
I hope that management takes this approach. While it's always tempting to try to go out and bring in a new big name, we have a great thing going right now. All four lines of our roster roll pretty well, not perfect, but definitely no dire need to pay the big bucks to bring in a Hemsky or a Richards. If anything, I'd rather save any leftover cash we may have after we re-sign our big names, retain SK, Ward, or whoever else management sees fit, and save it for when the right time comes along, such as bringing in a big contract if something comes up at the trade deadline of next season. Plus, I'm really excited to start giving our young guys some chances. Blum really impressed me in his first season, and it would be nice if there was room on the roster for Josi to periodically pop his head up in Nashville and show us what he can bring on the NHL level.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:57 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Easy: pay off all the regular season debt we built up...

aka, break even for the year
+1 paying debt is always a good thing

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote