HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF #4: Flyers @ Bruins - Friday, May 6, 2011 - 8:00 PM (ET)

Old
05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The defense was bad, but if you're changing the goalie 6 times in 10 playoff games, the goalie still wasn't making enough saves. It would be different if it was once ot twice.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:46 AM
doakacola*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Lisa Hillary reporting that the Flyers team is "shocked" by being swept... GTFO!

Just go home and hit the Philly bars and party it up like you guys always do!
Why should they be shocked? Losing Pronger killed your D as evidenced by how awful Matt Carle was. It also put more pressure on your suspect tending. I have to admit Briere was almost totally invisible this series. The only forward that was a consistent threat was JVR, and he was essentially neutered in G3 and G4.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Drydenwasthebest

For two seasons I have argued with Chris Shafer and others that Philly did not, DOES not, have the goaltending to win. Holmgren ALWAYS IGNORES what is a pivotal position in the game, year after year. Your team needs to get a real goalie who can actually allow the rest of your fantastic team to play with confidence, rather than have a goalie they all feel they need to stay back and protect. Bite the bullet and make an offer for Rask from Boston. It might cost JVR or Carter or Richards from your offense, or possibly Coburn+ from your defence, but that kid would be terrific in your system on your team. I hope you do not do that trade, though, as it would strengthen two teams who are tough for Montreal to beat.

Where IS Chris Shafer???

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Holmgren didn't ignore it. Leighton was just the guy who was willing to accept backup money to be a starter. Knowing what when on with Turco and Nabokov, both of them would have taken whatever Holmgren was offering them.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
iamcanadian23

There seems to be this idea in FlyerLand, that when the team breaks down in front of a goaltender - he gets a free pass to allow a goal. This simply isn't true. Just because the team makes a mistake in front of him, doesn't mean the goaltender isn't supposed to be there to fix it - it's his job. The goaltender isn't going to stop everything obviously, but the occassional bailout should be expected - and it isn't with this team.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
phillyfury

How could they have lost? Inserting a bruiser for a sleek-handed wimp; a top scorer on a gimpy leg; creating a goalie controversy; doing absolutely nothing with the power play; Lavy's a genius. Don't worry he'll be gone by mid-season next year. Flyers are garbage and ain't gonna ever win it all folks. I love it. Zherdev, you deserve better than this bunch of clowns. How much is 'Scotty' Hartnell 'earning?' Five million? What a joke. Comcast is being robbed. But who cares... Don't worry, I will never grace these boards again.

Last edited by phillyfury: 05-07-2011 at 10:25 AM.
phillyfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:21 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfury View Post
How could they have lost? Inserting a bruiser for a sleek-handed wimp; a top scorer on a gimpy leg; creating a goalie controversy; doing absolutely nothing with the power play; Lavy's a genius. Don't worry he'll be gone by mid-season next year. Flyers are garbage and ain't gonna ever win it all folks. I love it. Zherdev, you deserve better than this bunch of clowns. How much is 'Scotty' Hartnell 'earning?' Five million? What a joke. Comcast is being robbed. But who cares...
I agree with you. Zherdev was constantly used as a scapegoat while other higher paid players were performing like ****.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Zherdev scored 1 goal in the playoffs. He wasn't making a difference.

This is the same Zherdev who cleared waivers.

Old
05-07-2011, 10:33 AM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Eh, I think he was playing somewhat decent.

He was hustling, making the right play, and getting some good chances. Remember, Zherdev did not quit on the Flyers, big props for that.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:34 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Claude Giroux scored 1 goal in the playoffs. Just saying....

Stats don't mean everything.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:46 AM
mirimon

Zherdev was pretty decent when he played, but he wasn't making that much of a difference really. I wouldn't mind having him back another year if they believe that he'll adopt to our system a little better for year two. But it's really stupid how we can have one thread on here about stripping Richards of his captaincy and at the same time there's a pretty large group of people who seem to believe that Zherdev worked his ass off.

I think our dmen are getting some uncalled for criticism. Coburn and Meszaros can both hold their heads high imo. Timonen had some unusual mistakes made, but wasn't dreadful by any means. Carle had a pretty bad playoffs though, and O'Donnell looked his age a few times too many. Syvret is not an NHL defender.

What made their job a lot harder though was the defensive lapses our forwards kept on making. Leino, Carcillo, Zherdev, Brière, Giroux were all pretty good at following the puck rather than their player. Betts had a pretty rough playoffs as well, he must have some other injury besides that shoulder thing. Versteeg wasn't nearly as good defensively for us as he was for the Blackhawks last year either.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Claude Giroux scored 1 goal in the playoffs. Just saying....

Stats don't mean everything.
Ok, did Zherdev back that up with 11 assists? PK Time? Zherdev wasn't any more effective than Versteeg was.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Cinerary
The Inexorable

Damn, I still want to see a video of that Giroux/Bergeron hit...so many Bruins fans crying now about how dirty of a player Giroux is. In the one replay I saw of it, it looked fine to me. G was shaken up afterwords too.

Cinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
Damn, I still want to see a video of that Giroux/Bergeron hit...so many Bruins fans crying now about how dirty of a player Giroux is. In the one replay I saw of it, it looked fine to me. G was shaken up afterwords too.
Dirty..lol...it was a clean hit unlike McQuaid's flying forearm attempt on Richards.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfury View Post
How could they have lost? Inserting a bruiser for a sleek-handed wimp; a top scorer on a gimpy leg; creating a goalie controversy; doing absolutely nothing with the power play; Lavy's a genius. Don't worry he'll be gone by mid-season next year. Flyers are garbage and ain't gonna ever win it all folks. I love it. Zherdev, you deserve better than this bunch of clowns. How much is 'Scotty' Hartnell 'earning?' Five million? What a joke. Comcast is being robbed. But who cares... Don't worry, I will never grace these boards again.
We will miss you...

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
BernieParent

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper
- TS Eliot (The Hollow Men)

What a wasted season on so many levels. And the fact that the future was once again sacrificed to "win now" makes it all the more depressing. Plus now potentially serious long-term injuries to Pronger and significant surgery for Timonen is raising huge question marks about the short and medium term.

Goaltending. What to do. This is the kind of argument where I believe everyone is right. Goaltending is a product of defense -- that's the way this team was built -- but Holmgren can no longer avoid the issue with stopgaps (Leighton, Boucher) or long-shot prospects (Bob). Yes, keep Bob, but as #2 behind a legit top-level starter. Please.

And I agree wholeheartedly that every part of this team and every aspect of their game needs to come under intense scrutiny. The team just wasn't good enough in February-April and failed to ratchet it up to the level they can and should be playing in the playoffs. Maybe it is post-SC Final hangover, but that just isn't a good enough excuse for me.

I wouldn't necessarily give Holmgren his walking papers, but I would sincerely hope that he, Snider and Laviolette are all on the same page regarding off-season needs. When this team is healthy (of course) and plays together, they can beat any other NHL team consistently. But their game is broken and that needs to be addressed early in 2011-2012 with the players who are under contract to wear this sweater.

In my 37 years of following this team, I've been much more disappointed before -- getting swept in the SC Finals certainly comes to mind -- but that also has much to do with starting to lose faith in the ability of this team in March when they didn't see interested in competing or in learning from their mistakes. That is the fundamental thing that needs to be changes, both through personnel changes and in the philosophical approach to every game, both in the regular season and playoffs.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Orange Crush 89

All right boys, we got'em right where we want them. We're only down 0-4 but I feel if we can play game 5 the way we played game 2 and get some traffic in front of Timmy T we can turn this thing around.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:39 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
So how many former Flyers have gone on to win a cup with another team? Let's see...Tocchet, Wregget, Samuelsson, Brad Mcrimmon, Fedotenko, Sharp, Eager....I know there is more...

Podein, Recchi (2 different teams), Brind'Amour, Williams, Chychrun, Brown, Daigneault, Wells, Simon, Ricci, Duchene, Rumble, and Eaton.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote