HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone worried about Boston or Tampa?

Old
02-02-2011, 10:39 AM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The two quick breakdowns for goals didn't help matters...
Just plays right into what I was saying. They had their heads up their ***** for the first five minutes and lost the game as a result.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Just plays right into what I was saying. They had their heads up their ***** for the first five minutes and lost the game as a result.
Roloson did not have to make second saves all that often. That helped too.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
I think we have to be careful on that one, though. I actually didn't think they were all that bad in the first period. The one goal off the end boards was fluky, but TB is really dangerous and they showed that.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:46 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Quote:
I think we have to be careful on that one, though. I actually didn't think they were all that bad in the first period. The one goal off the end boards was fluky, but TB is really dangerous and they showed that.
No doubt other factors contributed - Roloson being money, Tampa being a solid squad - but that first five minutes was terrible. Watch the goal off the end boards again. Carle lets Gagne walk right on by him and makes no apparent effort to get back and cover him in the slot. Nobody's head was in the game yet. Take out those two goals and Tampa probably plays the rest of the game differently and at that point you never know.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
No doubt other factors contributed - Roloson being money, Tampa being a solid squad - but that first five minutes was terrible. Watch the goal off the end boards again. Carle lets Gagne walk right on by him and makes no apparent effort to get back and cover him in the slot. Nobody's head was in the game yet. Take out those two goals and Tampa probably plays the rest of the game differently and at that point you never know.
Well, that was a "Gagne knew where the puck was and Carle didn't" situation, I think. Easy to get a jump on a guy in that situation.

Carle also sucks defensively regardless of what is going on.

As said, I didn't think they were that bad. Major screw up on the first goal... and the 2nd one was an odd bounce off the boards (seriously, Bob deflected that and it came back off the boards in a way that defied physics as far as angle). Then they were in a hole and that was that.

I would agree they weren't crisp to open the game, but I didn't think TB was particularly crisp either. They had the nice passing play on the first goal, but they weren't creating all that much themselves. Just cashed in where the Flyers didn't.

Old
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
On paper we're way better than them. But if games were played on paper, Pittsburgh would be winless since Crosby's been hurt. But they aren't, they're playing quite well....even without Malkin, Letestu, Asham, and Staal for most of tonight they beat a very talented Rangers team.

Pittsburgh gets it. They're in our heads too. They will be until they beat us in the playoffs. Doesn't matter who our core group is...

I agree with Cartsie. I'll always be concerned about the Pens until we take them down in the playoffs.
The team this year is much more talented than the Flyers teams in 08 and 09 and the Flyers has Pronger. To me it is still Boston.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not as much as I am worried about other teams (VAN, PIT, DET). Boston doesn't worry me as much as Tampa Bay, but no team scares me like Vancouver. Especially of Hodgson starts playing like he was supposed to (just recalled earlier this week). TBL is fast and they have some deadly players on their team, but their D can be shaky at times, and as long as the Flyers don't play like they did last night, they should be alright in a 7 game series.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
thats why SOG can be a misleading stat. Rolson made 38 saves last night but how many of them were difficult? when you are one and done like the Flyers were last night for the most part it doesnt matter if you have 10 shots or 100 you arent going to win. they didnt make things difficult enough on Roloson for the most part. credit him for making the saves he had to make. But I think last night was a case where SOG were a definite indication of SOG showing how the game went. This was nothing like the game against Montreal or Boston when Price and Thomas stole the game.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 11:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Everybody has still got to play 7 including the Flyers but so far Boston and Tampa may become moot points. Washington and Montreal we would match up against better and same with Pitt....having said this we need to advance given what may be playing out...please please....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Everybody has still got to play 7 including the Flyers but so far Boston and Tampa may become moot points. Washington and Montreal we would match up against better and same with Pitt....having said this we need to advance given what may be playing out...please please....
Ya if we advance we could get another favourable path like last year. LETS DO THIS

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2011, 11:51 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Ya if we advance we could get another favourable path like last year. LETS DO THIS
Yeah the only one is still Tampa since it's only 1-1 but....

That one is still tough to gauge....hate Pitt but Tampa just messes with us.

Would love to see Boston knocked off by the Montreal Midgets...

Old
04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Yeah the only one is still Tampa since it's only 1-1 but....

That one is still tough to gauge....hate Pitt but Tampa just messes with us.

Would love to see Boston knocked off by the Montreal Midgets...

Longer pitt stays in though the more chance in crosby coming back, I am confident we wouldnt have much trouble with the pens right now, but with crosby it would be tight

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:28 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Boston worries me more than Tampa..

1) Good D

2) Good Goalie

3) Want to vindicate themselves after we made them part of history last year

In other words they are assembled for a good playoff run. Flyers can still beat them on depth as long as no key injuries.

Tampa always plays well against the Flyers for some reason but their D is still suspect for sustained playoff hockey in a series. Roloson helps them but is not going to be some brick wall.
Well actually....both Boston and Tampa worried me just that we had the "luck" of the draw with Boston first no thanks to MONTREAL!...

Anyway..question....if either Tampa or Boston advance to the finals and actually win...which team winning the cup would insult you the most? For me it would be Tampa hands down...scary proposition hope the West wins again.

Old
05-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
Well actually....both Boston and Tampa worried me just that we had the "luck" of the draw with Boston first no thanks to MONTREAL!...

Anyway..question....if either Tampa or Boston advance to the finals and actually win...which team winning the cup would insult you the most? For me it would be Tampa hands down...scary proposition hope the West wins again.
I will be extremely happy to see gagne get a ring. TB is going to be problem going forward no matter what.

Old
05-07-2011, 12:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I will be extremely happy to see gagne get a ring. TB is going to be problem going forward no matter what.
I would be happy for him but not extremely happy...nor happy about an expansion team having such success to tie us in cup wins.....

Seems lots of players leave the Flyers and go on to win cups with other teams soon after

McCrimmon, Tocchet, Wregget, Samuelsson, Fedotenko, Sharp, Eager...etc

Old
05-07-2011, 12:56 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Go Gagne.

Tampa is my team the rest of the way just so I can see him get one.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:

I have problems with Tampa because they won a Cup in 2004, then stunk, got high picks, and now can win it again. It is like Pittsburgh-light.

I also have problems with Downie winning a cup because everyone will say how dumb it was for the Flyers to "give up" on him and how he has transformed into such a solid player. I was saying all along how everywhere Downie has ever been, he's been a winner and the whole NHL hated on this man without giving him a just trial. It was based on the McAmmond hit (which I still think Downie thought he had the puck when he got hit) and what, one sucker punch. No time was given for him to mature by the NHL. They wanted him gone. There is no way he would have succeeded as a Flyer.

So, anyway, I have problems with them. I hope they all want raises and the team gets gutted. I hope Stamkos wants 8 million per season. Except then they'll stink and win another Cup in 7 years.... The cycle will continue.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I have problems with Tampa because they won a Cup in 2004, then stunk, got high picks, and now can win it again. It is like Pittsburgh-light.

I also have problems with Downie winning a cup because everyone will say how dumb it was for the Flyers to "give up" on him and how he has transformed into such a solid player. I was saying all along how everywhere Downie has ever been, he's been a winner and the whole NHL hated on this man without giving him a just trial. It was based on the McAmmond hit (which I still think Downie thought he had the puck when he got hit) and what, one sucker punch. No time was given for him to mature by the NHL. They wanted him gone. There is no way he would have succeeded as a Flyer.

So, anyway, I have problems with them. I hope they all want raises and the team gets gutted. I hope Stamkos wants 8 million per season. Except then they'll stink and win another Cup in 7 years.... The cycle will continue.
Yeah Tampa insults me on many levels...

1) They won in 2004 and went dumpster diving and now competing again so soon b/c of Stamkos mainly ..

2) They have Downie and Gagne who we have nothing to show for especially since Carle now might be on the outs (depends on the return for him if he is let go).

3) They got a smart GM who in his first year made Holmgren an example and ***** him in his starfish

4) They got a real smart coach

5) They got Roloson when we should have gone after him two years in a row and may have had a cup as a result.

I can go on......just outright insulting that they have become so successful so quick and don't have the tradition the Flyers have...although that tradition is now one of not having a goalie and winning a cup since the technicolor years...

Old
05-07-2011, 11:05 AM
mirimon

If Tampa wins I'll be glad for Gagné's sake. They play a terribly boring style of hockey though.

I wouldn't mind it if Vancouver won. That fan base deserves a win by now I think. It's been long enough.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

People are wrong to accuse Tampa for tanking. They were a complete circus. They signed whatever free agents would go there. Ryan Malone, Mattias Ohlund, traded for Meszaros, brought Prospal back, Mark Recchi, Gary Roberts. They were bad when they weren't even trying to be. It didn't help them that they were a complete freak show behind the scenes.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
People are wrong to accuse Tampa for tanking. They were a complete circus. They signed whatever free agents would go there. Ryan Malone, Mattias Ohlund, traded for Meszaros, brought Prospal back, Mark Recchi, Gary Roberts. They were bad when they weren't even trying to be. It didn't help them that they were a complete freak show behind the scenes.
Yeah, that wasn't organized sucking like Pitt... But I don't even have a problem with that.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
If Tampa wins I'll be glad for Gagné's sake. They play a terribly boring style of hockey though.

I wouldn't mind it if Vancouver won. That fan base deserves a win by now I think. It's been long enough.
Is that you, Kenny Campbell?

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post

I would root for Vancouver, but their fans really remind me of Chicago fans last year. I'm tried of hearing about how great Kessler, the Sedins, Elder are. Great team, but I don't need to constantly be reminded of it.

As much as I like Gagne, I just can't bring myself to root for the Lightning. Bottomfeeding their way to another cup...

I guess I'm a Sharks fan from here on out...

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:18 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post

I don't know who that is, so I guess no, I am not Kenny Campbell.

It is boring, it's eerily similar to the style a team here in Sweden perfected in the early 90's to overcome the fact that Färjestad had lucked out and got Håkan Loob and Bengt-Åke Gustafsson back in their primes. It was boring as hell to watch back then and it is boring now as well. It's efficient though, it will win you games if you buy into the system and don't cheat out of it. Not all players are capable of doing so, not for a long enough period at least.

It is also why I'm a bit uncertain about going after Roloson in the summer. I think his numbers are a lot better because of it, and he won't get that help if he signs for us.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:22 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post

so you're telling me a 1-3-1 is entertaining?

far from it....however it seems to work

i'd rather win a boring game, than lose and exciting game

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote