HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Roman Horak

Old
05-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Two good seasons in the WHL-Horak earned it.

Parlett--doing it the Girardi way--who also played his pro season with the minor league contract.
doubt he gets signed. looks like AHL depth...much rather have Pashin, Baldwin or Niemi getting ice time

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:51 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
doubt he gets signed. looks like AHL depth...much rather have Pashin, Baldwin or Niemi getting ice time
He looked better than Baldwin and Niemi, and I really don't get all the love for Pashnin, a 5-11 defenseman nearly exactly the same age as Parlett who might or might not come over.

But anyway, it's not Parlett taking away the icetime, it's players like Nightingale or Bickel that should go. Plus if Redden leaves, there will be enough spots for all the prospects.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

JJ Daigneault compared Blake Parlett to Dan Girardi. The link is somewhere in the Whale thread. Why wouldn't the Rangers sign Parlett to a 2 year ELC when already have lesser players under contract?

Sam Klassen is a waste of a SPC. Stu Bickel is a group II. Matt McCue is another group II. Tysen Dowzak is also a group II. Another wasted SPC. Those three group II's will be cut loose.

Valentenko,Kundratek,Niemi and Baldwin are other D under contract for next season. Klassen will play where he played this season.

The room is there for Parlett is to get a SPC without it hurting the future of organization.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:44 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
He has impressed everyone that has watched him, and the coaching staff as well. I think there's a good chance he's signed.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

sign Krieder and Thomas and were going to have a nasty Whale team! Keep it coming boss!

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:54 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef View Post
sign Krieder and Thomas and were going to have a nasty Whale team! Keep it coming boss!
Thomas can't play for the Whale next season. It's either NHL or OHL for him...

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Can someone who has watched this kid actually play (if anyone can, just asking), not read some website or simply watched highlights, tell me how this kid plays.

What's his style?

What's the potential? What might he offer in a few years?

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Can someone who has watched this kid actually play (if anyone can, just asking), not read some website or simply watched highlights, tell me how this kid plays.

What's his style?

What's the potential? What might he offer in a few years?
Natural center that has been spending a lot of time on the wing in the dub. More of a playmaker than a scorer, but has a very good release on his shot. Great speed and puck handling abilities as well. Very reliable in his own end as well, and skates hard on the back check.

His biggest downfall, at least in my opinion, is his strength. He's about 6ft, but he's pretty scrawny.

He's one of those kids that could surprise some folks at the next level and end up as a two-way, 2nd line playmaking winger, but realistically, I see him as a potential 3rd line forward who can provide scoring depth and a solid defensive game.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Muscle, if one works hard, can be built. He's not even 20 until later this month. He has time to get stronger.

I like prospects like Roman Horak. They can turn into AHL fodder busts, but they can also become top-6 difference makers.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Muscle, if one works hard, can be built. He's not even 20 until later this month. He has time to get stronger.

I like prospects like Roman Horak. They can turn into AHL fodder busts, but they can also become top-6 difference makers.
he does have some skill.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Natural center that has been spending a lot of time on the wing in the dub. More of a playmaker than a scorer, but has a very good release on his shot. Great speed and puck handling abilities as well. Very reliable in his own end as well, and skates hard on the back check.

His biggest downfall, at least in my opinion, is his strength. He's about 6ft, but he's pretty scrawny.

He's one of those kids that could surprise some folks at the next level and end up as a two-way, 2nd line playmaking winger, but realistically, I see him as a potential 3rd line forward who can provide scoring depth and a solid defensive game.
is Horak physical at all?? in the sense of going to the dirty areas to score, take a hit and give a hit to make a play, stick up for teammates, uses the boards well???

Old
05-07-2011, 07:08 PM
ocarina

How much stronger has Horak gotten since he has been drafted? I don't want him to turn out like an Alexandre Giroux where he simply doesn't build up more mass.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
is Horak physical at all?? in the sense of going to the dirty areas to score, take a hit and give a hit to make a play, stick up for teammates, uses the boards well???
Uses the boards well, and isn't afraid of the dirty areas, but I wouldn't say that's where he prefers to play the game. He's not overly physical, but he won't shy away from contact.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Uses the boards well, and isn't afraid of the dirty areas, but I wouldn't say that's where he prefers to play the game. He's not overly physical, but he won't shy away from contact.
thats good. what about shot blocking and good deflecting pucks? does he do that well?? im sorry for asking questions but i cant find much of him on youtube which is shocking..

Old
05-08-2011, 07:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
How much stronger has Horak gotten since he has been drafted? I don't want him to turn out like an Alexandre Giroux where he simply doesn't build up more mass.
He has gotten stronger since he was drafted. he just needs to continue doing so. He is a late bloomer physically. Not unheard of for a 20 year old. Skill-wise he has top-6 potential. His passing ability is underrated and he has pretty high hockey IQ.

When he was drafted his defensive awareness was a problem, hence why they tried him at wing. As he has grown and become a bit stronger he has gotten MUCH better. Work-ethic is not a problem with this kid.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:12 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

Sounds Jiri Hulder-esque. Think that might be a good comparison? I've only seem him at the WJC.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Sounds Jiri Hulder-esque. Think that might be a good comparison? I've only seem him at the WJC.
Ehh. I don't see that one. Hudler is pretty skilled, but to me he is a small, weak player. Give him space and he can do some damage. If Horak continues to develop physically, he will be able to work along the boards as well as make plays when given space.

Maybe a poor-mans Weiss? Hard to think of a comparison for him.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:19 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Horak's cap numbers...

Quote:
Cap Geek says that Horak’s entry level contract has a cap hit of $610,000 per season:

He has an AHL salary of $62,500 per season.
He has a signing bonus of $80,000 per season
http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2011/0...n-roman-horak/

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I liken him more to Valtteri Filppula. Hudler has nowhere near the defensive prowess that Horak can bring.

Old
05-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He has gotten stronger since he was drafted. he just needs to continue doing so. He is a late bloomer physically. Not unheard of for a 20 year old. Skill-wise he has top-6 potential. His passing ability is underrated and he has pretty high hockey IQ.
Yeah, and you need to give these kids time. I know that many experts feel that a kid shouldn't add more then 5 lbs per year (unless its part of "natrual growth"). It takes time to add the right mucles.

Horak is just a good young hockey player. He is modern in the sense that while he plays a finesse game but he does it at top speed and do not need a lot of room which basically is a must in the NHL if you are going to play that style. Good in traffic.

This kid have improved a lot over the last couple of years. He needs to do the same over the coming couple of years to make it to the NHL. But thats a "lottery ticket" I'll take any day.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i like horak. always have. liked him more than werek actually.

horak can fly. great wheels and solid motor. he competes hard and never takes shifts off. his play away from puck improved alot. thats what got him signed.

hes got a good 2 way game now and the ability to beat dmen one on one. his offensive upside is legit and hes got some decent laymaking skills as well.

with a good weight program and maybe 10 lbs of muscle, i like this kids chances to be a contributor within the next 2 years.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote