HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Friedmanns thirty thoughts

Old
05-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
I believe Gomez when he says it bothers him and he's pissed at himself. No athlete likes to suck it up for 82 games.. My question then is: how in the hell did he not turn it around at some point? Makes me think something bad in his non-hockey life happened.. maybe drama at home, death in the family, etc.. That's all I can think of to explain how a hockey player can play well-below his ability for so long. That, or drugs, and I don't think he has that issue.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I believe Gomez when he says it bothers him and he's pissed at himself. No athlete likes to suck it up for 82 games.. My question then is: how in the hell did he not turn it around at some point? Makes me think something bad in his non-hockey life happened.. maybe drama at home, death in the family, etc.. That's all I can think of to explain how a hockey player can play well-below his ability for so long. That, or drugs, and I don't think he has that issue.
Players have off years, it happens. They start off slow then start pressing to get caught up and end up doing worse and next thing you know they have had a crappy year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

hey Pierre I will give you two UFA's for your cancer Max Pacioretty this summer call me back.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
No Gomez = No Gionta/Cammalleri
While totally made up, I don't think that's a bad equation.

Note: This is all based on comments from Gionta and Cammy who had just signed. What were they supposed to say? "Gomez sucks, Montreal offered more, we signed here." Of course they said that.

I could maybe buy the Gionta half of it, since they're friends, it made it a good fit. But there is no logic behind that dictating Cammy.

Plus, let's just pretend it did.

If none had signed, we would have had $19 million in cap space to sign or trade for an effective first line. Cap space unto itself is not valuable, but we're kidding ourselves if we think the Habs wouldn't have spent to the cap.

I am a huge Cammy fan (and think he would have signed anyway), but he's the only one of the three living up to his paycheck. Gionta has been what Gionta is, but he is overpaid by a bit. The only reason no one cares is that Gomez has such a bad contract.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Asgalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
No Gomez = No Gionta/Cammalleri
Myth big time

from cybrepresse.ca : L'acquisition de Gomez: quel impact?

Brian Gionta, pourtant un bon ami de Gomez, m'a confié ...

«L'échange impliquant Scott n'a jamais affecté ma décision, m'a confié le capitaine. Je voulais jouer pour le Canadien de toute façon. Bien sûr, l'acquisition de Scott laissait croire à un changement de direction, ça prouvait que le club voulait gagner tout de suite. Mais ça n'a pas influencé ma décision.»

Asgalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:28 PM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not even a myth. Just bull ****.
ya, because we all know superstars were jumping at the opportunity to play with the habs, who at the time had no coach, 10 UFAs and no big names.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
ya, because we all know superstars were jumping at the opportunity to play with the habs, who at the time had no coach, 10 UFAs and no big names.
stop that, you know that Cyperpresse proven it was wrong....

We all know that guys want to sign the biggest contract no matter if they have no one to play with, and if they do not over produce points, the MTL fans will eat them alive.

It's all about the Benjamins.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:43 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgalus View Post
Myth big time

from cybrepresse.ca : L'acquisition de Gomez: quel impact?

Brian Gionta, pourtant un bon ami de Gomez, m'a confié ...

«L'échange impliquant Scott n'a jamais affecté ma décision, m'a confié le capitaine. Je voulais jouer pour le Canadien de toute façon. Bien sûr, l'acquisition de Scott laissait croire à un changement de direction, ça prouvait que le club voulait gagner tout de suite. Mais ça n'a pas influencé ma décision.»
Did the Habs FO put those words in his mouth?

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:08 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
And don't forget that our center position before June 30th (Gomez trade) was Plekanec coming off a 39pts season and Maxim Lapierre.

I am positive the Gomez trade influenced some UFA's to sign here. I don't believe it's the whole reason but it did play a factor.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
While totally made up, I don't think that's a bad equation.

Note: This is all based on comments from Gionta and Cammy who had just signed. What were they supposed to say? "Gomez sucks, Montreal offered more, we signed here." Of course they said that.

I could maybe buy the Gionta half of it, since they're friends, it made it a good fit. But there is no logic behind that dictating Cammy.

Plus, let's just pretend it did.

If none had signed, we would have had $19 million in cap space to sign or trade for an effective first line. Cap space unto itself is not valuable, but we're kidding ourselves if we think the Habs wouldn't have spent to the cap.

I am a huge Cammy fan (and think he would have signed anyway), but he's the only one of the three living up to his paycheck. Gionta has been what Gionta is, but he is overpaid by a bit. The only reason no one cares is that Gomez has such a bad contract.
Ending up with guys like Koavlev and Antropov would have greatly altered the last 2 years results for the Hbas versus getting Gionta and Cammy. After the Sedins re-signed in Vancouver, I don't recall a ton of high end forwards being out there for us. If you look at what those guys have brought both in the room and on the ice they have been excellent additions.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 03:12 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Ending up with guys like Koavlev and Antropov would have greatly altered the last 2 years results for the Hbas versus getting Gionta and Cammy. After the Sedins re-signed in Vancouver, I don't recall a ton of high end forwards being out there for us. If you look at what those guys have brought both in the room and on the ice they have been excellent additions.
Agreed. The Sedin's signed before the start of free-agency. Gionta and Cammalleri were probably 2 of the most sought after forwards out there. Considering how we have faired in signing UFA's in past years...something influenced them.

HH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Agreed. The Sedin's signed before the start of free-agency. Gionta and Cammalleri were probably 2 of the most sought after forwards out there. Considering how we have faired in signing UFA's in past years...something influenced them.
Money, perhaps?

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:37 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
The real wonder is people like you who feel bad for Gomez.

The guy makes 7M/per and he's got you buying into his contrite shtick. What a joke.
What's wrong with you? He's a human being, and a skilled hockey player. He had a bad season and actually apologized to fans and the team without even being told to.

Why don't you stop letting your blind hatred for one of our best players get the better of you. He can be the best player on the ice when he is at his best. "Buying into his contrite shtick" one of the funniest comments I've read all day.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Reminded me of the professor making a mistake on the board and claiming "I was just checking to see if you were paying attention."
I thought the same thing.. LOL!! Trying to cover up the sucking!

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Not saying they're useless by any stretch, just thinking that not having Gomez and Gionta likely wouldn't have ended the world.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:12 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
hey Pierre I will give you two UFA's for your cancer Max Pacioretty this summer call me back.
Gauthier being crafty: Well, we got 2 UFAs for the bigger cancer Sergei Kosatttaayyyytttananan. So make it three UFAs and we have a deal.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:25 PM
habsfan92

Knowing how bad he sucked all year, and surprisingly I never ever heard that he worked extra-hard in practice, or was the last one off the ice, was staying on the ice practicing shooting at the net (which he can't hit), or starting an altercation at pactice because he was frustrated on how things were going and was battling for a puck. I don't think he took any steps toward bettering his play throughout the year.
He is just paying lip service to the media and fans. Work ethic and attitude are lacking.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Quote:
Exactly. And we acquired no superstars. So what is the point of your comment sir?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
What's wrong with you? He's a human being, and a skilled hockey player. He had a bad season and actually apologized to fans and the team without even being told to.
I would apologize as well, he's had around 30 good games in his two years here, and rarely makes a difference. If he was being paid 800k a year, he'd be on waivers, he's been that bad.

Quote:
Why don't you stop letting your blind hatred for one of our best players get the better of you. He can be the best player on the ice when he is at his best. "Buying into his contrite shtick" one of the funniest comments I've read all day.
Gomez isn't even close to being one of our best players, he's actually quite far down the chart at this point. I suspect by 20 games into next season he'll be around our 6th most important forward, behind Desharnais and Patches.

By the way, anyone on our top two lines can be 'the best player on the ice when he is at his best.' , except most of them lead by example and don't become defensive liabilities.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
It may not be a fact...but if you use a bit a common sense, having Plekanec coming off a 39 point season and Lapierre as our top 2 centers wasn't the recipe to sign skilled offensive UFA's. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason but it was a definite fcator.
Not even that. Gionta told TSN, Gomez was not even a factor in his decision, although he did like the opportunity to play with him again. He was in fact shocked Montreal contacted him and was won over by the management and what the city/team offered.

Cammalleri said in a RDS interview, his top three teams were Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver. He preferred to remain in Canada but liked the east. Why he chose Montreal was because in the off season he lives in Toronto and was afraid it would be too much to have to hear all the comments and media about his play.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
It may not be a fact...but if you use a bit a common sense, having Plekanec coming off a 39 point season and Lapierre as our top 2 centers wasn't the recipe to sign skilled offensive UFA's. I'm sure it wasn't the only reason but it was a definite fcator.
And what was Gomez coming off at that time? A 58 point season and a guy who wasn't good enough to be wanted with his old team. Sorry but I will never buy that for one second.

If a TRUE warrior in Koivu was not able to bring us any of those types of players, it's not Mr. Gomez who would. What if we keep Koivu? Those players would not have come for him? Makes no sense. Not a factor at all as far as I'm concerned.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:38 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Exactly. And we acquired no superstars. So what is the point of your comment sir?
well, with Gomez $$ we could have one... you know...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Gally11

Yeah I don't think Gainey traded for Gomez to attract players I think he was hoping for the Gio Gomez 80 goal (together) season to return, and that failed lol

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

After next year, look for the buyout clause to be changed. It is anticipated that the league will make it more financially viable to buyout players. On the flipside, the PA dont want to worry about being reddened, or sourayed, so they want to make a system where they dont get buried in the minors.

All this points to good news for montreal regarding gomez, because it means that whatever buyout clause is agreed upon, the penalty on the teams will be less severe, and there will likely be financial restructuring allowed from the player's perspective to ensure that the player doesnt end up in the minors.

So basically, this is Gomez's last chance to make it work in montreal. There's many people in life who dont act until they absolutely have to. The comfort factor for gomez has been shaken and he must act immediately in order to not lose what he has. Lets see if he's one of those guys.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote