HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for a new captain

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2011, 08:07 AM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni88 View Post
Richards has not grown into the role of a leader. Give the C to #20, #48, or #28.

Trade #17, #19, #44
Yes, let's give it to Pronger whose biggest purpose in life is to act like a clown to the media instead of give straight answers. Someone who is aging and breaking down.

Or Briere, who scores pretty goals but never backchecks and repeatedly takes stupid penalties.

Or Giroux, who has become the poster child for turnovers.

By all means, trade Carter, our only good face off guy who we've relegated to RW even though we suck on faceoffs and the other centres are small. Oh, and one of few forwards who actually plays both ends.

And of course Kimmo, the slacker. All he does is play ES, PP and PK and makes his partner a better player.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
People want Pronger to have the C.

That would have worked out so well since he barely played in the playoffs.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Isn't Richards hurt? Playing through some type of leg/foot injury since the start of the playoffs as far as I can remember.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:48 AM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
People want Pronger to have the C.

That would have worked out so well since he barely played in the playoffs.
This was my thought, but didn't post as not to upset all of the Pronger fans. But honestly, the guy barely played and is quickly turning into another waste of cap space due to his injuries and fragility - you've nailed it.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
This was my thought, but didn't post as not to upset all of the Pronger fans. But honestly, the guy barely played and is quickly turning into another waste of cap space due to his injuries and fragility - you've nailed it.
Well, I'm not either. Pronger barely played, so all the "captain pressure" would have went to Richards anyways.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:57 AM
JCameron418

New Flyers captain perhaps?

Old
05-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

This is quite possibly the worst thread of the year. Worse than the Toronto fan offering us bad prospects for Carter, because that was at least hilarious.

Old
05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

There really isn't much for Captain material on this team outside of Richards imo. The only way he'd ever lose the C, would be through a huge shake up or gutting of the team. The comparisons to Clarke were indeed premature though, he's a much different kind of leader.

I could see a guy like Giroux down the road a bit, He's got a lot of snarl to his game and handles defensive responsibility pretty well.

Old
05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Richards had a bit of a down year and playoff by his standards. Last season, I though him and Pronger were the heart and soul of the team. I'm not ready to give up on him. My only problem with Richards, and you can say this about a few different players on this team, is that sometimes he'll try and do too much in the offensive end. I get annoyed every time he comes in 1 on 3 and tries to stick handle through three defensemen. I'd rather him keep his game simple.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
There really isn't much for Captain material on this team outside of Richards imo. The only way he'd ever lose the C, would be through a huge shake up or gutting of the team. The comparisons to Clarke were indeed premature though, he's a much different kind of leader.

I could see a guy like Giroux down the road a bit, He's got a lot of snarl to his game and handles defensive responsibility pretty well.
you cant even compare the 2 eras when it comes to dealing with the media. How would Clarke deal with the media if he was a player now and dealing with stupid questions from our wonderfull writers in Philly. its not the same kind of deal either when he was a GM here. What did Philly have 1 or 2 media outlets to deal with on a constant daily basis during the season when Clarke was a player?
I do agree there isnt a single player you can give the captian too outside of Richards. The comparisons were kind of premature too and I would agree with that and the media and people jumped all over it. When things dont go well people jump all over Richards. If poeple are really worried about Richards being Captian or not then they are blind to the other more important issues surrounding this hockey club.
Then again this is one topic people love to troll on. Including many unnamed fools who post here.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Flyrs21

Briere captain?.....

The only letters Briere should have on his jersey are the ones that spell out his last name.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:55 PM
hextall shoots

I would like to see a coaching change and start next season with no captain

Old
05-07-2011, 03:05 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Or Briere, who scores pretty goals but never backchecks and repeatedly takes stupid penalties.
I'm certainly not advocating giving the C to Briere, but scoring "pretty goals" couldn't be further from the truth.

The majority of his goals are scored within 6 feet of the net. He's the smaller guy on the team, but has no fear.

It's not a coincidence that only JVR and Briere put pucks in the net during the playoffs. They were the only two forwards they were consistently around the net.

If you want to score goals in this league, there is no secret. Go to the net. Find the rebounds, win battles.

Richards, Giroux, Hartnell, Versteeg, Leino et. al. need to take some lessons.

Old
05-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

His shoulders are probably in fairly bad shape, he didn't really have a physical year, which is an important part of his game.

No one showed up this series, I think the tank was on E.

Maybe the goalie situation made these players think more and they thought they had to make the great play all the time and that hurt us in the end.

The best bet is to get a veteran goalie in here with a 3 year deal, and next year hand him the reigns and follow up the next with Bob getting a chance to take over number 1.

Old
05-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
I'm certainly not advocating giving the C to Briere, but scoring "pretty goals" couldn't be further from the truth.

The majority of his goals are scored within 6 feet of the net. He's the smaller guy on the team, but has no fear.

It's not a coincidence that only JVR and Briere put pucks in the net during the playoffs. They were the only two forwards they were consistently around the net.

If you want to score goals in this league, there is no secret. Go to the net. Find the rebounds, win battles.

Bolded is pretty bad because it's essentially one of the two jobs the guy has: forecheck and get to the front of the net.

He did neither this series.

Along with Matt Carle, who casually gave the blue line to the Bruins and refused to use his body in his own zone. That's great that he's a puck-moving-defenseman, but at some point the puck is going to wind up in your own zone, and you have to do everything you can to get it out.

Out:
Carle
Hartnell
O'Donnell
Boucher
Leighton

Richards stays as Captain because stripping him of it would be retarded (the real definition, not in the derogatory sense).

Old
05-07-2011, 04:04 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
Bolded is pretty bad because it's essentially one of the two jobs the guy has: forecheck and get to the front of the net.

He did neither this series.

Along with Matt Carle, who casually gave the blue line to the Bruins and refused to use his body in his own zone. That's great that he's a puck-moving-defenseman, but at some point the puck is going to wind up in your own zone, and you have to do everything you can to get it out.

Out:
Carle
Hartnell
O'Donnell
Boucher
Leighton

Richards stays as Captain because stripping him of it would be retarded (the real definition, not in the derogatory sense).
That's the thing. It isn't just Hartnell's job.

If we aren't getting goals from Richards and Giroux, we aren't advancing.

Going to the net needs to be a collective effort.

Old
05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
facts

Richards has been hurt for a while, his arm for sure. When, in a few days they annouce his surgery some of you fools will shut up. We got beat by a better team. We didnt win a period of hockey against the bruins, move on

Old
05-07-2011, 05:47 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Richards has been hurt for a while, his arm for sure. When, in a few days they annouce his surgery some of you fools will shut up. We got beat by a better team. We didnt win a period of hockey against the bruins, move on
Um, that's why we want to improve our team....

Old
05-07-2011, 06:09 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

They are pretty goals. His goals are the result of soft hands. His goals against are due to the fact that he won't work both ends of the rink.

Old
05-07-2011, 06:19 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
I need the FACTS here

too many rumors about the Flyers captain

live up to your username and prove it isn't recreational pharmaceuticals, alcohol or hanging out with Charlie Sheen

You're right about Boston.....they owned the Flyers

Old
05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Terence Peterman

Seriously, who the **** addresses players by their numbers? Why do they think that's anything but a ****ing stupid way to name a player? In fact, it's arguable that's why we have names -- so we don't get called by a number. ****.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Gibbs18

Richards didnt have that bad of a year. Last year he was the leading scorer with 31G 31A. This year he had 4 more points with 23G 43A behind Giroux, Briere, and Carter. Honestly i think Richards was gassed coming down the stretch. When they started losing a lot at the end of the season is when an injury or he was just gassed started to happen. I saw it a lot in the offensive zone when the other team would break out of the zone, he would like stand there and watch and then start to skate gingerly with his head down like he was distgusted or was just tired. I dont think he had that bad of a season.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

It's kinda obvious Richards is very, very banged up.
Let's face it, last season he played in all 82 regular season games, 23 playoff games and 7 games in the Olympics (plus 2-3 pre-season games I guess). That's 112 competetive games.
His season ended in mid-June. Next season's camp starts mid-September. That's three months of which he had to do offseason practice, too. Then he proceeds to play 81 games this season, plus 11 playoff games.
Can't blame the guy for running out of gas.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Everyone is speculating that he's been hurt but nobody knows it for sure. The Philly writers have said they asked him and he always said he was fine. We know it's the playoffs and he's not going to 'fess up but we have no proof at this point that he's injured or sick.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
That's the thing. It isn't just Hartnell's job.

If we aren't getting goals from Richards and Giroux, we aren't advancing.

Going to the net needs to be a collective effort.
If you're going to turn my statement around and say that it's everyone's fault that no one is going to the net, how can you make the statement that there's only two guys that really needed to step up and score goals?

Also, Hartnell didn't have any points against the Bruins and ended up -5.

Basically, the H-B-L line couldn't do anything with the puck. They combined for a total of 3 points and had a collective -13 against the Bruins.

The Bruins stepped up at their blue line and the Flyers regularly conceded theirs. The Bruins got back and took passing lanes away in the neutral zone and defensive zone and the Flyers didn't. The Bruins won puck races and battles and finished checks, and the Flyers rarely did either.

One team showed playoff effort and played as if their season was on the line, and one team didn't. It was easy to see the distinction in nearly every game.

Closed Thread