HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund trade rumour thread v4.0: 'Dude where's my trade' edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
JackZap

vCash: 500
id like for them to kick the tires on Statsny

Old
05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Or simply spending the cap increase of 5M.
I've seen you mention this in several posts now but nowhere have I read anything of the sort. In fact I've been reading 2-3 million at best.

Maybe I missed the press conference where they said it would go up by 5 million? The cap hasn't once gone up by more than 3 million if I recall correctly. Please if you can link me the article where this is set in stone.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Up by than 5M$ ?
I dont remember what is going on about that, but i thought it was going to be around 61-62M$. Not sure if the new TV contract matters.

Anyway, i've done my Capgeek homework too (), thats why i have my doubts about the cap problems and Laich. My concerns are as much for next season than for 2012-13.

I have a 2011-12 team with a payroll of 61M$, with the Capital as the only newcomer, raise for Pacioretty, Pouliot gone and savings on Gill and Auld salaries.

I feel that we are going to be too close to the cap with the raises of Subban, Eller and Price. And possibly Pacioretty, Desharnais and Weber, too, according to how we deal with it this summer...

Even if Spacek is gone after next season, we are still be looking for a guy to replace Moen, if we dont keep him, and it's going to be at the same pricetag, if not more expensive, so we dont have that much money left for 2013-14 if we spend it on right now on Laich.

Im not the GM, but I'll wait to see how our young players are handling the new expectations on them to see how we could make our team better later, once we know what exactly we have, rather than going out too early on a poor year on the market.
We are likely to be dependent to the raise of the cap to have some relief, im not a fan of that idea.
According to my calculations in another thread, we have 8 millions to split between a top 6 forwards and a good defenceman.

Andrei Kostitsyn and James Wisniewski were not on the team for that calculation so if we want to keep them, or one of them, they'll take a part of that 8 million.

But there's one thing though. If we want to sign someone like Laich long term, we have to make sure he's a player who will fit in our roster. Our core is taking most of our money so we can't add too many big pieces if we keep Gomez.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Up by than 5M$ ?
I dont remember what is going on about that, but i thought it was going to be around 61-62M$. Not sure if the new TV contract matters.

Anyway, i've done my Capgeek homework too (), thats why i have my doubts about the cap problems and Laich. My concerns are as much for next season than for 2012-13.

I have a 2011-12 team with a payroll of 61M$, with the Capital as the only newcomer, raise for Pacioretty, Pouliot gone and savings on Gill and Auld salaries.

I feel that we are going to be too close to the cap with the raises of Subban, Eller and Price. And possibly Pacioretty, Desharnais and Weber, too, according to how we deal with it this summer...

Even if Spacek is gone after next season, we are still be looking for a guy to replace Moen, if we dont keep him, and it's going to be at the same pricetag, if not more expensive, so we dont have that much money left for 2013-14 if we spend it on right now on Laich.

Im not the GM, but I'll wait to see how our young players are handling the new expectations on them to see how we could make our team better later, once we know what exactly we have, rather than going out too early on a poor year on the market.
We are likely to be dependent to the raise of the cap to have some relief, im not a fan of that idea.
There was an article in La Presse not long ago about the cap increase. It is going up $4M for sure to $63M based on actual revenues earned and maybe $64M if they include the new TV contract for next year which they are allowed to do under the CBA eventhough it was not earned this year.

You have to count on cap increases, its called smart management and maximizing what you can. If you play it safe all the time, you never maximise your trye potential.

We would definetly be OK next year with Laich. As for after next year, Gomez being traded or sent to AHL or whatever will be the solution assuming Eller is ready for 2nd line duty which I think he will. You can always find ways to make it fit. Flyers do it all the time. Just have to take the risk and be creative a little.

If teh cap goes to $64M, the floor goes up to 48M. Some teams will be looking at Gomez's contract at one point to reach the floor. Example. Florida will have to spend $30M on 12 players this summeer to reach the floor!!! There's barely enough FAs worth that kind of moneay available, unless you overpay a few of them. I know it souds crazy, but Gomez (the contract, not teh player) will become a hot commodoty soon enough. Even more after next year when is actual saalry will be 5.5 and 4.5 for the last 2 years.

Get Laich and we have a shot at the cup next year, definetly worth the try IMHO.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
According to my calculations in another thread, we have 8 millions to split between a top 6 forwards and a good defenceman.

Andrei Kostitsyn and James Wisniewski were not on the team for that calculation so if we want to keep them, or one of them, they'll take a part of that 8 million.

But there's one thing though. If we want to sign someone like Laich long term, we have to make sure he's a player who will fit in our roster. Our core is taking most of our money so we can't add too many big pieces if we keep Gomez.
Did you include the cap increase? Otherwise it does not add up.

If we keep the same team, we have little increases:

- Wiz replaces Hamr. Probably an economy of 500K (if Wiz signs at 5M)
- Markov resigns at same or little less
- All RFAs except Gorges are not getting an increase or very little
- Gorges will get an extra 2M at the most

So if the cap goes up 5M, we have plenty $$$ to spend.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:14 PM
OpenIceHit

Quote:

And hopefully this time, we spend it well. The way PG spends this money this summer will be crucial for the next 2 or 3 years...

Old
05-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:

Right now, we dont know how the cap will be next season, but i dont think its going to be up by 5M. We have yet to see such an increase. 3M, thats quite an increase, so 5M, that seems way too much over a summer.

Hamrlik replaced by Wisniewski as the only major saving, maybe Pouliot is gone, whereas you need to give a raise to Gorges, and possibly a small one to Desharnais, we are probably going to have a payroll around 59M$, maybe a slight increase over this season.

But next season (12-13), you have to give 3 big raises, with only 1 big contract off the books. Subban and Spacek are cancelling each other.
Price is going to get Hiller's money, at least, which gives him +2M, and Eller's situation is connected to Gomez's. (In a losing way). I think he is going to have a raise of 1M, which gives us a +3M.

- Now, if you sign Laich with a cap hit over 4M (and i dont see how he would get less that 4M), you may to have a problem.

With him you'll need a cap of 64-65M$ to get it done in 2013, which means an increase of 7M in 2 years. I wont say that this is not going to happen, but i am surely not going to bet on Laich if i have to take a chance with it.

Unless, of course if you deal some players, but we are not really a team with a lot of depth. Which is the main purpose of the signing.

And i have yet to see a team picking up an horrible contract such as Gomez's to meet the cap floor.
This just never happen yet, in 7 years...

Are the Flyers creative ? I dont know, thats always the same recipe. Horrible goaltending.
And what do you mean anyway by creative ? Pronger under contract until 2017, 4M to Meszaros ?
They're actually almost at the cap for next season. Whereas they need 8 players. And they still have a huge question mark about their goaltenders...

Old
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Right now, we dont know how the cap will be next season, but i dont think its going to be up by 5M. We have yet to see such an increase. 3M, thats quite an increase, so 5M, that seems way too much over a summer.

Hamrlik replaced by Wisniewski as the only major saving, maybe Pouliot is gone, whereas you need to give a raise to Gorges, and possibly a small one to Desharnais, we are probably going to have a payroll around 59M$, maybe a slight increase over this season.

But next season (12-13), you have to give 3 big raises, with only 1 big contract off the books. Subban and Spacek are cancelling each other.
Price is going to get Hiller's money, at least, which gives him +2M, and Eller's situation is connected to Gomez's. (In a losing way). I think he is going to have a raise of 1M, which gives us a +3M.

- Now, if you sign Laich with a cap hit over 4M (and i dont see how he would get less that 4M), you may to have a problem.

With him you'll need a cap of 64-65M$ to get it done in 2013, which means an increase of 7M in 2 years. I wont say that this is not going to happen, but i am surely not going to bet on Laich if i have to take a chance with it.

Unless, of course if you deal some players, but we are not really a team with a lot of depth. Which is the main purpose of the signing.

And i have yet to see a team picking up an horrible contract such as Gomez's to meet the cap floor.

Are the Flyers creative ? I dont know, thats always the same recipe. Horrible goaltending.
And what do you mean anyway by creative ? Pronger under contract until 2017, 4M to Meszaros ?
They're actually almost at the cap for next season. Whereas they need 8 players. And they still have a huge question mark about their goaltenders...
There are other players you can drop in 2011 or 2012 if you need cap room and can add quality through UFA...AK(3.250)...Spacek(3.8)...Gill(1.5-2.25) Moen(1.5) Pouliot(1.350) Sopel(2.33) Plus Eller's contract is really 787 k plus bonuses so his cap hit might not increase at all depending on the season he has in 2011-2012.

I think Gauthier has a lot of flexibility this summer, last summer he had none.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
There are other players you can drop in 2011 or 2012 if you need cap room and can add quality through UFA...AK(3.250)...Spacek(3.8)...Gill(1.5-2.25) Moen(1.5) Pouliot(1.350) Sopel(2.33) Plus Eller's contract is really 787 k plus bonuses so his cap hit might not increase at all depending on the season he has in 2011-2012.

I think Gauthier has a lot of flexibility this summer, last summer he had none.
(Pouliot and Sopel were already counted as gone, for me)

But these players will be replaced by others, you still need to dress 21 players, and honestly, except Spacek, they're all worth what they're paid, which means that its not going to be easy to improve on the ice and/or cap-wise.

If you drop each of them, you're going to suffer.
(You let Kostitsyn walk ? You still need to find a Top-6 winger, and a UFA will cost you much more than 3.2M !)

The flexibility is here, yes, but its only on the D.
Im just surprised that so many people are expecting us to be able to sign a guy like Laich, arguably the best player available after Richards. I dont think that the expectations are really realistic.

Old
05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

But these players will be replaced by others, you still need to dress 21 players, and honestly, except Spacek, they're all worth what they're paid, which means that its not going to be easy to improve on the ice and/or cap-wise.

(You let Kostitsyn walk ? You still need to find a Top-6 winger, and a UFA will cost you much more than 3.2M !)

Im just surprised that so many people are expecting us to be able to sign a guy like Laich, arguably the best player available after Richards. I dont think that the expectations are really realistic.
Laich is the 2nd best forward but in terms of 2nd best overall palyer there are 7-8 others on defense and in nets ahead of him.

If they feel that Laich can be a good fit there are a ton of options, as I said like letting either Markov or Wisniewski walk, or move AK. Maybe they can trade Spacek to a small market team or for another bad contract that we can bury in Hamilton(Reinprecht?).

Old
05-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
There was an article in La Presse not long ago about the cap increase. It is going up $4M for sure to $63M based on actual revenues earned and maybe $64M if they include the new TV contract for next year which they are allowed to do under the CBA eventhough it was not earned this year.

You have to count on cap increases, its called smart management and maximizing what you can. If you play it safe all the time, you never maximise your trye potential.

We would definetly be OK next year with Laich. As for after next year, Gomez being traded or sent to AHL or whatever will be the solution assuming Eller is ready for 2nd line duty which I think he will. You can always find ways to make it fit. Flyers do it all the time. Just have to take the risk and be creative a little.

If teh cap goes to $64M, the floor goes up to 48M. Some teams will be looking at Gomez's contract at one point to reach the floor. Example. Florida will have to spend $30M on 12 players this summeer to reach the floor!!! There's barely enough FAs worth that kind of moneay available, unless you overpay a few of them. I know it souds crazy, but Gomez (the contract, not teh player) will become a hot commodoty soon enough. Even more after next year when is actual saalry will be 5.5 and 4.5 for the last 2 years.

Get Laich and we have a shot at the cup next year, definetly worth the try IMHO.
Finally, somebody who gets it.

Old
05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've seen you mention this in several posts now but nowhere have I read anything of the sort. In fact I've been reading 2-3 million at best.

Maybe I missed the press conference where they said it would go up by 5 million? The cap hasn't once gone up by more than 3 million if I recall correctly. Please if you can link me the article where this is set in stone.
It's not set in stone though. It will set in stone just before July 1st.

But here's an article (in french) about it.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/chroniqueu...7_article_POS4

Basically, he said that that was an official NHL press release on April 19th about the league's revenues this year, so since 57% of it goes to the players, he comes to a $63M cap. With the new TV contract in the US, the league is allowed to include it in its calculation per the CBA evern though it was not earned this year. If they do include it, it could go up to 64M.

Based on that, the cap is going up at least 4M, and potentially 5M or more.

Old
05-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Mr. Hab

Brooks Laich...

I'm sold!! I hope we get him and fdo't overpay for him...to be honest I knew about him but wasn't that sure of him...I'm sold now thanks to many Hab fans. Laich on the 1st line, Pacioretty on the 2nd...

Any of you know where to get player bio info? (pros/cons of players).

(I used to get it from: http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?6418 .... but it doesn't seem to work anymore...?).

Old
05-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Subban76

Quote:

See my post above with the link. It looks like the cap is going up at least 4M and maybe even more. The past does not tell the future. The cap is based on a strict formula and the league generated a lot of $$ this year with new sponsorships and stuff, so yes, you can go ahead and make a roster with a 63M cap. Maybe even more!

In 2012-13, it will be Subban's 1st RFA deal. He's not getting 4M, forget about it. Same for Eller, not getting a huge increase yet in your 1st RFA year. There not even eligible for arbitration. Only Price will get a big raise and Spacek's money will go there, and not even all of it, probably 2.8M, so 1M left to repalce Spacek for a 7th Dman.

No problem signing Laich. Trust me here. I'm an experienced CA that works with numbers, forecasting and budget crunching all the time, if cap goes to 63M or more, there is no issue or risk signing Laich. Besides, tyou can alays trade or burry Gomez at the time.

As for never seeing a team picking up a contract to reach the cap floor, again, the past is not the future. The cap floor as never been at 48M and teams that are already losing a lot of $ will start to go for these contracts.

Flyers are creative where its been a couple of years where they spend over the cap in the summer by going after THE GUY they want and need and always figured out a way to get back under the cap. Goaltendinga s nothing to do with it. That's hockey, not cap management. They're creative with the cap and their spending, never said they were putting it all in the right places. And again, they will figure out a way to stay under the cap for next year. And if teh cap goes to 63 or 64M, they won't even have a problem and will have cash for a decent goalie. Now, that is being agressive and smart and always maximising your team by spending every $ available. Meszaros is at 4M and so what? If they want to trade him, someone will picking him up like someone as always picked up the player they needed to trade to get back under the cap.

Quote:

Because you do`n't believe in the cap going up to 63-64M. We have the cash for Laich, does not mean we will sign him though. Even if he's the best after Richards, its Laich, he will get about 4M and not more. We are talking about a 20 goal scorer here. And even at 4M, its overpaid, but I want him (especially after watching him in the playoffs) and willing to pay that price.

It's very realistic in terms of feasability, but not in terms of actually happening because Laich might not reach UFA status or want to come here???

Old
05-06-2011, 07:07 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Just forgot about this guy now this thread comes up, fu all lol

Old
05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
dcal64

Quote:

Actually, Phoenix traded for Rosival, who has a horrible contract, but it was front loaded (like Gomez), so they will save money.

Old
05-06-2011, 08:57 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Actually, Phoenix traded for Rosival, who has a horrible contract, but it was front loaded (like Gomez), so they will save money.
We'll have to see what Gomez does next season, I've seen many people say the Habs won't send him to the minors, and I agree the won't THIS season, but if he's awful again next year and a 7.3 cap hit as opposed to 9 million over 2 years in actual money they will send him to the minors without a moments hesitation.

The free agent markets are going to continually be bare, and those quality players that are there will continue to be vastly overpaid. That's just the way it goes. Even of the "potential" free agents this July, and next, there isn't much special anyways.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:08 PM
sampollock

need beef

Old
05-06-2011, 10:02 PM
JIMVINNY

Quote:
In 2012-13, it will be Subban's 1st RFA deal. He's not getting 4M, forget about it. Same for Eller, not getting a huge increase yet in your 1st RFA year. There not even eligible for arbitration.
You've got to be kidding me. You think Subban is going to accept less than 4 million? The kid was a first pairing d-man in his ROOKIE year. The last half of the season, he was one of the highest point producing d-men in the league, and the top goal-scoring d-man. if that trend continues over the next year, we'll be lucky to get him signed at 5 a year on a long term deal.

Old
05-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
You've got to be kidding me. You think Subban is going to accept less than 4 million? The kid was a first pairing d-man in his ROOKIE year. The last half of the season, he was one of the highest point producing d-men in the league, and the top goal-scoring d-man. if that trend continues over the next year, we'll be lucky to get him signed at 5 a year on a long term deal.
Since when do Habs sign anyone to super long term deals after their entry level contract? He'll sign a 2 or 3 year deal taking him all the way to the final year of qualifying for restricted free agency, then when that runs out they'll either sign him for 4-5 years for big money or if he wants out by that time or something a short term deal taking him to UFA.

Old
05-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Because you do`n't believe in the cap going up to 63-64M. We have the cash for Laich, does not mean we will sign him though. Even if he's the best after Richards, its Laich, he will get about 4M and not more. We are talking about a 20 goal scorer here. And even at 4M, its overpaid, but I want him (especially after watching him in the playoffs) and willing to pay that price.

It's very realistic in terms of feasability, but not in terms of actually happening because Laich might not reach UFA status or want to come here???
As good a fit as he'd be I'm willing to bet he stays on Washington.

Washington is where Ottawa was in 2001-02 and 2004-05, they need to reevaluate their core and address it's needs against what it has in excess. Washington has too many sergeants and not enough soldiers-- too many players trying to do things themselves and not enough working together and playing their role to win. Laich was one of the few players on Washington's top six that played his role, used his team, and stuck to the system. If anything, they need to clone him, least of all let him walk via free agency for nothing.

If I'm George McPhee (or Washington's new GM) this summer, I'm trying to trade Semin for a top ten draft pick and a solid role player (lets say to Columbus for their 1st round DP and one of their youngish defencemen as an example) and trying to resign Brooks Laich as soon as possible. I really don't see him leaving Washington this summer.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
JIMVINNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Since when do Habs sign anyone to super long term deals after their entry level contract? He'll sign a 2 or 3 year deal taking him all the way to the final year of qualifying for restricted free agency, then when that runs out they'll either sign him for 4-5 years for big money or if he wants out by that time or something a short term deal taking him to UFA.
Since when did the Habs have a legitimate star rookie d-man? I think we can all agree that Subban is not a typical rookie, and therefore his contract negotiation will be anything but typical. He's the kind of d-man you build around, and those don't come around very often. No team looks at a guy like him as needing a standard contract, Habs included.

Old
05-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
Read carefully. I did not talk about 3-4-5 years, I said is 1st year as a RFA he won't get 4M, and he won't!

It's called cap management. You have to look when the increases happen vs. when guys get off the books, etc.

Old
05-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
See my post above with the link. It looks like the cap is going up at least 4M and maybe even more. The past does not tell the future. The cap is based on a strict formula and the league generated a lot of $$ this year with new sponsorships and stuff, so yes, you can go ahead and make a roster with a 63M cap. Maybe even more!

In 2012-13, it will be Subban's 1st RFA deal. He's not getting 4M, forget about it. Same for Eller, not getting a huge increase yet in your 1st RFA year. There not even eligible for arbitration. Only Price will get a big raise and Spacek's money will go there, and not even all of it, probably 2.8M, so 1M left to repalce Spacek for a 7th Dman.

No problem signing Laich. Trust me here. I'm an experienced CA that works with numbers, forecasting and budget crunching all the time, if cap goes to 63M or more, there is no issue or risk signing Laich. Besides, tyou can alays trade or burry Gomez at the time.

As for never seeing a team picking up a contract to reach the cap floor, again, the past is not the future. The cap floor as never been at 48M and teams that are already losing a lot of $ will start to go for these contracts.

Flyers are creative where its been a couple of years where they spend over the cap in the summer by going after THE GUY they want and need and always figured out a way to get back under the cap. Goaltendinga s nothing to do with it. That's hockey, not cap management. They're creative with the cap and their spending, never said they were putting it all in the right places. And again, they will figure out a way to stay under the cap for next year. And if teh cap goes to 63 or 64M, they won't even have a problem and will have cash for a decent goalie. Now, that is being agressive and smart and always maximising your team by spending every $ available. Meszaros is at 4M and so what? If they want to trade him, someone will picking him up like someone as always picked up the player they needed to trade to get back under the cap.
It may looks like it, indeed.
But its not sure yet, and i just dont understand why so many people are expecting us to pick Laich.

For Subban, Price and Eller, we dont know what will happen with them. Its just that as their potential is clearly there, you'll need some money for them. We dont have that many big contracts that we can trade or bury without any consequence on the ice.

Again, about Gomez, (Rozsival could possibly fit, maybe. But he is UFA in 12 months, and he didnt sucked. 15 pts in 32 games, thats quite good actually.), his contract is really bad.
Do you think that you are going to take Redden to meet the cap floor ? And helping the Rangers, by the way, if you did so ?

The teams are so close to each other than the positives and negatives of such a trade makes it impossible to happen without very special circumstances. Dont know about the odds.

Creative Flyers ?
I dont know, im maybe wrong, but the last time they went for an UFA, it was Hamhuis.
Instead, they sign Meszaros for 4M...not sure about how creative this is.
When you see so much crying because we traded our 2nd for two years in a row, for good players, im not sure that this is going to be ok if we trade our 2nd for a big name as UFA and he finally decide to play elsewhere.

Their last good UFA move was getting Timonen and Hartnell from Nashville. It was 4 years ago.
They are in huge trouble for next season, with 8 players to sign without any money. If they can ice a team without suffering from losing good players, thats creative, ok.

Quote:

Its not that interesting for us considering how poor the market is and what does that means in term of competition for the UFA.

I could easily understand that he's obviously a good pick for us, but the cost of the move plus the odds of him coming to Montreal happening are just not there to make it happen.
Washington could keep him without suffering from such a move, and teams like Tampa or LA are arguably considered as better destinations than us with more money available than we have.

I just dont see why so many people are expecting him to come here.
And in 2 months, if he is not coming, Gauthier will get bashed because he's too passive...

Expectations...

Old
05-07-2011, 03:48 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Just forgot about this guy now this thread comes up, fu all lol
We had zero Eklund talk since the trade deadline...now until the draft, July 1 and the rest of the summer, we will have Eklund says...just a pile of speculation...there are posters on here, that are better at speculating than Eklund...

Closed Thread