HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long before Laviolette gets canned?

View Poll Results: How long before Laviolette gets canned?
Beginning of the 2011-2012 season or earlier (offseason) 3 4.17%
Midway in the 2011-2012 season like Stevens 11 15.28%
He will coach the duration of his contract and get an extension and then fired soon after 38 52.78%
He will coach into infinity (the duration of Carter's contract) 20 27.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2011, 10:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Maybe they were better under Stevens, maybe, maybe not

Carter did hit 84 points, 40+ goals in 08-09.

Richards 07-08 - 75 points
Richards 08-09 - 80 points

Richards 09-10 - 62 points
Richards 10-11 - 66 points

Yeah its a different style under Lavy, but when your the face of the franchise and earning mega bucks, I want point production as well as defensive play.

....And if your going to flame my post, give me statistics or even an opinion why I'm so wrong.
I was going to go and post a whole crazy thing between the seasons but... way to much on a Saturday.

Well 1st off, Lavy didnt coach all of 09-10 so you dont put it ALL under Lavy, especially since Stevens ****ed the team up for the 1st half of the season.

2nd thing is, points are fluky. You dont base performance off of how many points your team has.

Sigh... I guess ill post some stats.

07/08

305 Top 5 Total Points

08/09

348 Top 5 Total Points

09/10

278 Top 5 Total Points

10/11

329 Top 5 Total Points

And this is JUST top 5. Look at the rest of the roster. In 09/10, the #9 on the team in points was Giroux with 27. In the 10/11 roster, #9 on the team in points was Timonen with 37. See what Im saying? Once you spread the talent out, with more offensive weapons, you arent going to get more points.

Does that makes sense?

Old
05-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I was going to go and post a whole crazy thing between the seasons but... way to much on a Saturday.

Well 1st off, Lavy didnt coach all of 09-10 so you dont put it ALL under Lavy, especially since Stevens ****ed the team up for the 1st half of the season.

2nd thing is, points are fluky. You dont base performance off of how many points your team has.

07/08

305 Top 5 Total Points

08/09

348 Top 5 Total Points

09/10

278 Top 5 Total Points

10/11

329 Top 5 Total Points

And this is JUST top 5. Look at the rest of the roster. In 09/10, the #9 on the team in points was Giroux with 27. In the 10/11 roster, #9 on the team in points was Timonen with 37. See what Im saying? Once you spread the talent out, with more offensive weapons, you arent going to get more points.

Does that makes sense?
I think what he was getting at, was that your best players have to be your best players, and the two we've handed the keys to the franchise were not down the stretch, perhaps?

I simply want to see production for the $$$'s given out - Briere earns his come spring every year, Giroux turns it up, we found JVR turn it up this year, just conveniently inconvenient that Carter is injury prone once games get tougher and Richards has also shown that he can't stay healthy either the past few seasons...

I think they need to hit the weight room and bulk up personally. This team has gotten knocked around physically by teams this year, which shouldn't be the M-O of a Flyers team... Lappy called out Richie last year for being as built as his 8 yr old son for pete's sake.

Old
05-07-2011, 10:58 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:

07/08

305 Top 5 Total Points

08/09

348 Top 5 Total Points

09/10

278 Top 5 Total Points

10/11

329 Top 5 Total Points

Does that makes sense?
Yeah it does, for sure the team and the game play style has improved for the better. But back in 07-08, 08-09, Richards just had that extra flair about him. The big hits and being the main shorthanded guy (Now its Powe/Betts) might have provided that for him.

Also, he did have better linemates (Gagne and Knuble). So thinking about it, he hasn't degressed in a sense, he just changed his game a bit. I still like him putting up 70+ points.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:01 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser View Post
I think they need to hit the weight room and bulk up personally. This team has gotten knocked around physically by teams this year, which shouldn't be the M-O of a Flyers team... Lappy called out Richie last year for being as built as his 8 yr old son for pete's sake.
Are you ****ing serious?? Lappy was joking. If you can't tell that, well, I don't think anyone can help you.

Holy sweet mother of God.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:02 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Yeah it does, for sure the team and the game play style has improved for the better. But back in 07-08, 08-09, Richards just had that extra flair about him. The big hits and being the main shorthanded guy (Now its Powe/Betts) might have provided that for him.

Also, he did have better linemates (Gagne and Knuble). So thinking about it, he hasn't degressed in a sense, he just changed his game a bit. I still like him putting up 70+ points.
Wait, so you're saying that Gagne and Knuble are better than the revolving pile of steaming **** Richards was saddled with most of the past two years? Unpossible.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:48 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Wait, so you're saying that Gagne and Knuble are better than the revolving pile of steaming **** Richards was saddled with most of the past two years? Unpossible.
Still a lot of unproductive power play time with big time players.

Old
05-08-2011, 12:08 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Still a lot of unproductive power play time with big time players.
And the PP looking like **** all year is Richards' fault? Holy ****.

Old
05-08-2011, 12:20 AM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
And the PP looking like **** all year is Richards' fault? Holy ****.
Partially, yes. He's making the big time money, he's the captain, he's your go to guy right? Lead by example? Yeah, didn't see to much of that this playoffs.

Last years playoffs, he was a beast physically/defensive game and on the score sheet.

He might be a little banged up and I admire him playing hurt, but I mean when Roo/JVR/Briere sorta won the Buffalo series then were in the "one of a few' performing players in the Boston series, something is wrong.

Yeah goaltending sucked, but this team just lacked "it".

Old
05-08-2011, 12:31 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
When will Reid get canned? Oh, wait.

Old
05-08-2011, 12:41 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Partially, yes. He's making the big time money, he's the captain, he's your go to guy right? Lead by example? Yeah, didn't see to much of that this playoffs.

Last years playoffs, he was a beast physically/defensive game and on the score sheet.

He might be a little banged up and I admire him playing hurt, but I mean when Roo/JVR/Briere sorta won the Buffalo series then were in the "one of a few' performing players in the Boston series, something is wrong.

Yeah goaltending sucked, but this team just lacked "it".
Little banged up, or playing through an injury that may require surgery? Two very different things.

I'm not disputing that Richards wasn't his usual self through most of the playoffs. The entire team was off for the most part, and has been since mid-February. If you want to lay that all on Richards, be my guest.

Old
05-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Slowbro

if richards plays the same next playoffs as he did this years, THEN there is a problem.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Are you ****ing serious?? Lappy was joking. If you can't tell that, well, I don't think anyone can help you.

Holy sweet mother of God.
Look at pictures of Richards out of his gear, he's not built....

If you can't tell that, you're in denial.

Old
05-08-2011, 12:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think Laviolette is fine and that he did everything he could to try to motivate the troops. Yes, certain guys he rode hard because he expected a lot from them. The fact they faltered and Laviolette continued to ride them is definitely Laviolette's fault, but I think two young guys really stepped forward and showed that they could step up when called upon - Giroux and JVR.

I think what this team needs is for the captain to call a team only meeting and get to the bottom of everyone's common goals and what roles certain guys are going to play. Once that gets established, then it becomes easier for Laviolette to assign roles to guys. I really think that's the biggest problem in Philadelphia - certain players really don't know what their roles and they need clear definition of what their roles should be.

I also think there might be some issues with Richards and Laviolette. That's something that can be easily worked out, but they need to talk things out. I think once there's a better understanding there of what the coach wants and what the players expect from the coach, then it's easier to move forward.

As it stands, Laviolette is the best coach this franchise has had since Hitchcock. This is a guy who's real good with young players, he's also good at letting them play offense and he's also someone who demands accountability from everyone. The Flyers would be fools to can him.

Old
05-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Jester

Quote:

Does that makes sense?
Not really true. If our PP had functioned like it did in the past this year, we would have put up monster offensive numbers. The last three years, for example, Richards put up 31, 33, and 31 points on the PP. This year he had 21. So, if he gets those points this year, he's at 76 pts and right there with those other seasons.

For whatever reason Briere's PP production has fallen off considerably from his first year, and what he generally had done since arriving in Buffalo.

In Carter's career year he had the best shooting % of his career... and he also played on a line with two guys that had good goal totals in Lupul and Hartnell. He also got a bit more out of the PP than he did this past year (24 v. 17 pts).

In fact, most of our team got as much if not more out of ES play than they have in recent years, which is one of the reasons we were a stronger team for much of the year despite the fact that our PP struggled for much of the season. Briere had 15 PP points this year, that's coming down from the 37 PP points he had his first year here. If you give him those 22 points you end up with the best season of his career.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Little banged up, or playing through an injury that may require surgery? Two very different things.

I'm not disputing that Richards wasn't his usual self through most of the playoffs. The entire team was off for the most part, and has been since mid-February. If you want to lay that all on Richards, be my guest.
Yep, most of the team had the flu bug. And I remember seeing an interview during one of the intermission where they said Richards suffered much longer than the other team with it (like, 4 weeks).

And right, if he needs surgery, we know why he was playing below par.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:

I guess I haven't looked as closely at his body as you have, nor have I compared it to other NHL'ers.

Old
05-08-2011, 02:44 PM
04' hockey

the coach has to be scrutinized as well as the players.....they lost 13 of 16 games during the second half, yeah Pronger was hurt but they played well early when Pronger missed time also.

let's be honest the Flyers looked BAD against Boston getting swept, who answers for that ? and were they really ready for the playoffs ?

Even the captain questioned what way the Flyers were supposed to be playing.
the locker rooms' a mess.....should be an interesting off season

Old
05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
decadentia

Quote:

He's bent over, so bad picture that way. But its quite obvious he has some definition. It's not as if he's out of shape.

Lavi was clearly joking, just wanted to say that as well...i'm surprised anyone could have taken that otherwise.

Last edited by decadentia: 05-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old
05-08-2011, 03:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Thanks for coming out:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=765832

Quote:
"He's our leader and we're going to go as far as he takes us," Laperriere said of Richards. "When your leader just goes all out like that it's contagious. I'm the oldest on the team (36) and I get goose bumps when I see him hit and give his body up like that."

He's got the worst body on the team but he puts it in front of anything. He might not be flashy like (Sidney) Crosby on the other side of the state but he's as effective or even more."

Asked if he could define what he meant by the "worst body on the team," Laperriere quipped, "He's built like my 8-year-old son."

Old
05-08-2011, 05:17 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Blaming three guys who actually showed up in the playoffs?
I like these players, and yes they " showed up" But they missed on too many golden chances.....JVR was awesome, but he just did not finish on enough chances....Most of the JVR highlights were of him beating the defense, but not finishing.....Don't take my comments as my hating on JVR or the others, just simply stating that Lavys system generates great offensive chances, we just need to capitalize more often.......JVR is a beast ! He will only get better....

Old
05-08-2011, 05:26 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I thought it was well documented that the team was horribly conditioned under Stevens. Richie needs to go with Giroux to that crazy bootcamp to get in shape this summer.

Old
05-08-2011, 08:43 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Mother of All Facepalms.

Old
05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Laviolette still building trust with captain Richards

This needs to be resolved one way or another....can't have the captain and coach not seeing eye to eye especially when players like Pronger and Timonen won't be in the lineup as much......

THREAD
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=912681

Article: http://www.csnphilly.com/05/09/11/La...766&feedID=704

Old
05-10-2011, 08:34 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

If Pronger and Timonen aren't in the lineup, all the Coach-Captain harmony in the world won't save this team.

Old
10-01-2013, 09:57 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

BIG BUMP from the old thread necromancer....

This is now a pertinent question again..I'll add Bill's insight from todays blog as a primer..

Quote:
Does the talent level on the Flyers' blueline match the amount of money being spent on it? Probably not, although I have much greater concern about whether the mix of players is right than I about whether any are individually competent enough to deserve starting spots in the NHL.

On a one-by-one basis, the Flyers do not lack for decent NHL defensemen, but is there collectively the right mix of mobility and muscle, puck movement and strength down low in the defensive zone, and of positional savvy and physicality? Based on what was displayed in the preseason, I'd have to say the answer is still no.

In particular, I still question whether this is the right group to manage and move the puck in Peter Laviolette's system, especially in light of the average-at-best defensive traits of much of the top half of the team's forward corps. There is still questionable cohesion between the forwards and defensemen, and the addition of Streit and the start of a new regular season aren't going to be magical elixirs on their own.

As things stand now, what the Flyers have done since last year is subtract Gervais (and Kurtis Foster) from the starting mix by adding Streit and having a hopefully healthier Meszaros return for the start of the final year of his contract. On paper that's an upgrade, but in reality that depends on Meszaros returning to something resembling the form he displayed in 2010-11. From a depth standpoint, I think the Flyers are fairly well-girded to withstand injuries.

I don't think anyone would argue that the Flyers defense corps, one through seven (or eight), ranks among the best in the NHL despite its collective price tag. On the other hand, if the club as a whole would buy into and execute the concept of team defense with a semblance of consistency -- there is considerable room for improvement in back checking, gap control, puck support and breakouts -- goalies Ray Emery and Steve Mason might have a chance to improve the team's goals against average and save percentage.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Hits/45/54406

Closed Thread