HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our window of opportunity and opinion on what we should do in the offseason

Old
05-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
HE PARTIED!??
Not sure if you can call that partying. He's wearing a sweater and there appears to be rows of teacups stacked in the background.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:26 PM
TheKingPin

trade carter for a stud young dman and a 20-25 goal scorer then sign TV. I really think that voukoun alone could send a team to the finals in the east with our d healthy. Lose 40 goals in the reg season, may lose maybe 3 goals in the playoffs with carter. I think he sealed his fate this year.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:38 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Carle. Boucher. Versteeg.

3 players that should never wear O&B ever again

and to those of you saying "trade carter".........IT AINT HAPPENING

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
trade carter for a stud young dman and a 20-25 goal scorer then sign TV. I really think that voukoun alone could send a team to the finals in the east with our d healthy. Lose 40 goals in the reg season, may lose maybe 3 goals in the playoffs with carter. I think he sealed his fate this year.
If the Flyers are looking to shed cap space, wouldn't it make more sense to move someone like Hartnell or Carle? Even Coburn. Carter signing a 11 year deal, at arguably lower than he could've, was a big commitment for both sides, don't see that ending this off-season.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:47 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Carle. Boucher. Versteeg.

3 players that should never wear O&B ever again

and to those of you saying "trade carter".........IT AINT HAPPENING
I dont see it not happening. He takes up a lot of salary for not doing anything in the playoffs ever. JVR will step in there and someone will take his spot via the trade and get a stud Dman.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:49 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If the Flyers are looking to shed cap space, wouldn't it make more sense to move someone like Hartnell or Carle? Even Coburn. Carter signing a 11 year deal, at arguably lower than he could've, was a big commitment for both sides, don't see that ending this off-season.
The contract is def the limiting factor in trading him. Hartnell has a NTC. Carle plays well with Pronger so I am actually not worried about him. Need cash to sign several players and I hope that comes from carter.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:49 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
I dont see it not happening. He takes up a lot of salary for not doing anything in the playoffs ever. JVR will step in there and someone will take his spot via the trade and get a stud Dman.
Carter just signed a 10 year contract and you think Homer is going to move him before that even kicks in?

Old
05-06-2011, 09:52 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Carter just signed a 10 year contract and you think Homer is going to move him before that even kicks in?
I hope he does yea. We have an aging D, no goalies, we have to get stronger in those areas at the cost of a fwd. Carter was the 5th or 6th highest scorer in the NHL, that should get back a good return.

Old
05-06-2011, 09:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
I hope he does yea. We have an aging D, no goalies, we have to get stronger in those areas at the cost of a fwd. Carter was the 5th or 6th highest scorer in the NHL, that should get back a good return.
5th or 6th highest scorer?! where are you getting your stats from?

edit: nvm, thought you meant point scorer

Old
05-07-2011, 11:12 AM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The recurring, "Richards must be injured, probably shoulder" is starting to irk me. I know these guys have down time and need some time to recharge their batteries. I am all for that. But guys who want to win still take time to focus on working on their weaknesses, or in Richards case strengthen the shoulder and body so come May/June they are not worn down, fatigued.
i agree 100%. also, im sick and tired of having to listen to people making excuses for richards when he gets hurt. it's so annoying. there's no shot he's hurt every time he plays poorly. he just, in my opinion, is not that good.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:16 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Carter is the one guy on this team who isn't going anywhere. You don't sign an 11-year deal and then get traded. Regardless, of how any of us feel about him or the organization he's here to stay now. There's no way they would move him after that. For an organization that seems to care about it's perception among it's players, trading a guy after giving him a lifetime contract the year before his no-trade kicks in would be a big **** you.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:23 AM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Let's see who will be gone:

Carcillo -- he doesn't play his brand of hockey, then he is a waste of a roster spot
Leino -- played himself out of town
Zherdev -- not even a question that he is gone
O'Donnell -- gone probably retiring
Boosh -- thanks but so long

Move a Carle and that frees up 3.4. Move Leighton to the minors and that's 1,550,000 off. So that's around 5 mil to work with. Either Vokoun signs at a cheap rate to play for a contender and he really can't ask for a high price because of his age. Or try and get Bryzgalov in here. And try to move Versteeg. Homer has to see by now that goaltending is our weakest link. With Giroux, JVR, Richards, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, Powe, Shelley, Betts, Nodl and some Phantoms, we will be ok. Pronger should be healthy. Timonen, not sure if he will call it a career. Coburn, Mezaros and give some Phantoms a look like Kevin Marshall.

Just have to wait and see.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Daryl

Carcillo -- his style of play is done so Lavy won't want him

Move a Carle and that frees up 3.4. Move Leighton to the minors and that's 1,550,000 off. So that's around 5 mil to work with. Either Vokoun signs at a cheap rate to play for a contender and he really can't ask for a high price because of his age. Or try and get Bryzgalov in here. And try to move Versteeg. Homer has to see by now that goaltending is our weakest link. With Giroux, JVR, Richards, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, Powe, Shelley, Betts, Nodl and some Phantoms, we will be ok. Pronger should be healthy. Timonen, not sure if he will call it a career. Coburn, Mezaros and give some Phantoms a look like Kevin Marshall.Just have to wait and see what occurs this offseason for the Flyers.

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:30 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post

Carcillo -- he doesn't play his brand of hockey, then he is a waste of a roster spot

Move a Carle and that frees up 3.4. Move Leighton to the minors and that's 1,550,000 off. So that's around 5 mil to work with. Either Vokoun signs at a cheap rate to play for a contender and he really can't ask for a high price because of his age. Or try and get Bryzgalov in here. And try to move Versteeg. Homer has to see by now that goaltending is our weakest link. With Giroux, JVR, Richards, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, Powe, Shelley, Betts, Nodl and some Phantoms, we will be ok. Pronger should be healthy. Timonen, not sure if he will call it a career. Coburn, Mezaros and give some Phantoms a look like Kevin Marshall.

Just have to wait and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post

Carcillo -- his style of play is done so Lavy won't want him

Move a Carle and that frees up 3.4. Move Leighton to the minors and that's 1,550,000 off. So that's around 5 mil to work with. Either Vokoun signs at a cheap rate to play for a contender and he really can't ask for a high price because of his age. Or try and get Bryzgalov in here. And try to move Versteeg. Homer has to see by now that goaltending is our weakest link. With Giroux, JVR, Richards, Carter, Briere, Hartnell, Powe, Shelley, Betts, Nodl and some Phantoms, we will be ok. Pronger should be healthy. Timonen, not sure if he will call it a career. Coburn, Mezaros and give some Phantoms a look like Kevin Marshall.Just have to wait and see what occurs this offseason for the Flyers.
Am I missing something?

Old
05-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Snipsnap12

Window of oppurtunity closing? Giroux, JVR, Carter, Richards, Coburn, Versteeg, Carle, Mez are all young guys, not to mention the fact they range from good contributors to star players. I look at it as if we are a couple of smart GM moves away from being a powerhouse.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:41 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Am I missing something?
Yea im confused. Must be the same person with two names

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:52 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Window of oppurtunity closing? Giroux, JVR, Carter, Richards, Coburn, Versteeg, Carle, Mez are all young guys, not to mention the fact they range from good contributors to star players. I look at it as if we are a couple of smart GM moves away from being a powerhouse.
My worry lies solely with Pronger and Timonen and their age and health. If they break down fast that window closes for awhile.

Old
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
My worry lies solely with Pronger and Timonen and their age and health. If they break down fast that window closes for awhile.
Pronger yes, but I think timonen can be replaced with someone younger and a little cheaper, which can be money spent elsewhere.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:29 PM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
Pronger yes, but I think timonen can be replaced with someone younger and a little cheaper, which can be money spent elsewhere.
Timonen's cap hit not withstanding, when healthy he's easily better than anyone we could realistically bring in to replace him.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Timonen's cap hit not withstanding, when healthy he's easily better than anyone we could realistically bring in to replace him.
I agree all I was saying was if he plays next year like he did at the end of this year, I would rather have a guy like Bieksa playing back there for around 2.5 million less.

It should be noted that I think the world of Kimmo, I just want to see the best team on the ice possible.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:35 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Tell that to Sidney Crosby. Or JvR on his summer workouts, I wonder if that helped him?
Where have you been? Were you not around that summer after Carter bulked up and had a great year? And has been playing quite well since?

Wait sorry, I forgot you negate any points for Carter, my apologies.

Queue the homo-erotic picture of Carter running track that offseason.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:14 AM
FlyerSithLord

Quote:
I agree all I was saying was if he plays next year like he did at the end of this year, I would rather have a guy like Bieksa playing back there for around 2.5 million less.

It should be noted that I think the world of Kimmo, I just want to see the best team on the ice possible.
I gotcha. Hopefully, he'll get healthy over the offseason and all will be well.

Old
05-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Slowbro

timonen is just pissed nashville is playing better hockey than the flyers now..

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 06:34 AM
straka91*

Let all the FA's walk. Bottom lines were way to soft and Euro for playoffs. Carcillo is a shadow of his former self so he can go and possibly burry Shelley(He may not be good at anything but he has heart, goes a long way in my book so if he stays up, im cool with it). Have Sesito and Rinaldo take a crack at being the 1-2. Let Wellwood have a crack at the line up too. If Leino is resigned for no more than 1.5 i wont complain.

Try to get Glass, Winchester. Asham, or Rupp to gritty up the bottom 2 lines. Trade Versteeg and get a salary dump, he doesnt fit with the Flyers. Get Walker healthy and let him take OD's spot or get a sound crease clearer, FA or trade.

And get a goalie that can stop the puck. An Emery and Turco/Gigeure tandem will be better than what Philly had this year, and affordable. No need to rush Bob.

*Maybe trade Carter for a big body for the top 6, Penner and a pick?* Both need a change of scenery imo.

Last edited by straka91*: 05-08-2011 at 06:47 AM.
straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Swiper the Fox

reflecting back

i'd have to say, the team is too "sweet" for playoff hockey
this is a good team for advancing / getting to the playoffs.
but, as we can see
playoff hockey is totally different than playoff hockey

team we have is too sweet, cute, offensively driven
put up against a strong defensive team.......... we really suck

first thing' first
they need to address goaltending issue
if they don't address goaltending, then it really won't matter much what they put in
front though.
once that is addressed, get d-men willing and capable of lying down, and blocking a shot or two. Players watching these guys put it all on the line , feed off of that, and play with even more motivation.
we also don't need 3 lines of 'sweet,finesse ' players. we also don't need guys who
will go out of their way to make a hit because, they almost always end up in the box because officiating in the NHL has sunken to an all-new low. ( This is due to players totally embellishing the call. ( if the refs put their whistles away , for the most part ) and call clear cut penalties, all this embellishing, would end pretty quickly)

keep Giroux/Jvr/Briere / Carter/Richards/Hartnell
Mez / Coburn / timmoen / Pronger (be nice if this old man would actually not be injured so much )
Need to keep Betts for PK unit as he is effective and puts himself on the line

need about 4 "Lappy-put-it-all-on-the-line" like-players ( to address the heart & soul) group

versteeg (tries hard, gets nowhere )
zherdev ( not efficient enough defensively to make a difference)
leino ( has proven can play in the playoffs as seen last year, but......
depending on price.........he may need to go )
powe ( works hard - hits often ) not labelled by refs yet
shelly ( can go, he's labelled by refs and ends up in Penalty box more than has hits
carcillo ( see shelly )

Last edited by Swiper the Fox: 05-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote