HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Capsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
It sure is absurd.

I'm astonished at how many Caps fans still believe in the Tooth Fairy. Maybe the Caps will have a legit shot at the Cup when Ted moves on in twenty years. They might as well move this dog and pony show to Winnipeg.
Alright, you are really starting to get annoying with your "Ovie should leave" and "Caps might as well move" comments. If that is really the way you feel, you must be the worst Caps fan ever. You have a team that has been an NHL powerhouse for 3 seasons now, and you act like they are the Pittsburgh Pirates.

They are not far off. In my opinion, they are a good coach away. But there may be other routes to the same place. Our goalies with more experience, Eakin and/or Kuznetzkov joining, and a savvy trade or free agent acquisition may put us over the hump. Or who knows, maybe Bruce finally realizes he needs to improve his own and the team's work ethic.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
what about being swept diminishes the mia performance of nicklas backstrom? if backstrom is providing his game, it effects every facit of the capitals game.
Not happy with the Caps? Something caused his game to change and I don't believe the conditioning thing. When was he known for conditioning? Somehow don't think it's because of signing a contract. Also don't think injuries were a major factor. Must be something else that's bugging him.

Surprising how much Backstrom's play effects OV's goal scoring.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:17 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
It sure is absurd.

I'm astonished at how many Caps fans still believe in the Tooth Fairy. Maybe the Caps will have a legit shot at the Cup when Ted moves on in twenty years. They might as well move this dog and pony show to Winnipeg.
Not me, I grew up being a Caps and Jets fan with some love for the Oilers. It really does suck to see a team move to another city. I wouldn't wish that on any fan, especially Pittsburgh or the NYI. I am hoping the Coyotes go back to where they should have stayed, Winnipeg. Winnipeg could have been a great 90s team had it not been for their GM. He had no value of NA players at all, minus Tkachuk.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:23 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
It sure is absurd.

Never mind that public opinion of Ted as an owner is extremely high. Clearly an owner that is willing to spend to the cap max and bury failed contracts in the minors is a terrible owner.

While I don't have a beef with GMGM, I can see rational fans having a beef with GMGM - but not Ted.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post

While I don't have a beef with GMGM, I can see rational fans having a beef with GMGM - but not Ted.

That's exactly what I believed--10 years ago.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
what about being swept diminishes the mia performance of nicklas backstrom? if backstrom is providing his game, it effects every facit of the capitals game.
Well if their staff was as inadequate as ours, he may of had the gimmie ot goal.

One player does not a sweep make. The coaching staff affects a team's outcome more than one player. Will a team notice it... Sure. But it won't drag the team to the same level.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Bananas

"All the experts, all the pundits come out with their opinions. The truth of the matter is, if they knew anything about the game, they'd be in it."

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:53 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Well if their staff was as inadequate as ours, he may of had the gimmie ot goal.

One player does not a sweep make. The coaching staff affects a team's outcome more than one player. Will a team notice it... Sure. But it won't drag the team to the same level.
winning and losing has a cumulative effect. we all know had they won game one or game three even that one win can change things just like in any given game one goal one way or the other has a dramatic effect.

i am not going to say that backstrom is the reason they lost. i certainly will say that had backstrom been the rock of reliability and created some offense that the circumstances of the series would have been different. one timely goal creates one win and one win creates another.

if we are going to blame semin his lacking and ov for his lacking and on down the roster, backstrom has to carry his own load. he is the 2nd most counted on offensive player on the team. he wears an "A".

yea, maybe its all boudreau's fault. that, i dont buy. i am fine with firing boudreau. backstrom has, however, has his fingerprints all over this debacle as surely as semin did v montreal last season.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Bananas

Quote:
winning and losing has a cumulative effect. we all know had they won game one or game three even that one win can change things just like in any given game one goal one way or the other has a dramatic effect.

i am not going to say that backstrom is the reason they lost. i certainly will say that had backstrom been the rock of reliability and created some offense that the circumstances of the series would have been different. one timely goal creates one win and one win creates another.

if we are going to blame semin his lacking and ov for his lacking and on down the roster, backstrom has to carry his own load. he is the 2nd most counted on offensive player on the team. he wears an "A".

yea, maybe its all boudreau's fault. that, i dont buy. i am fine with firing boudreau. backstrom has, however, has his fingerprints all over this debacle as surely as semin did v montreal last season.
OK. If given two options, trading Backstrom or firing Bruce, which one would you do to improve the team?

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:59 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
OK. If given two options, trading Backstrom or firing Bruce, which one would you do to improve the team?
Trade Backstrom to the Pens for Jordan Staal and his lower cap hit of $4M

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 03:43 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

Of course there's always fault that goes up and down roster.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Trade Backstrom to the Pens for Jordan Staal and his lower cap hit of $4M
You are out of your cotton picking mind. In his worst season Nick is better than Jordan's best. I hope you were being facicious.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Atlas

Stop w/ the trade Backstrom talk. He's not going anywhere. My guess is he's rebelling against Boudreau's crackpot system.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:10 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Stop w/ the trade Backstrom talk. He's not going anywhere. My guess is he's rebelling against Boudreau's crackpot system.

Last edited by mrwarden: 05-08-2011 at 01:19 AM.
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Dreger apparantly has been talking it up.

Old
05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Dreger apparantly has been talking it up.
that`s the stupidest thing....Backstrom at 22 has an off season and the league especially idiots like Dreger who by the way tends to pick on the Caps like a schoolyard bully is talking trade.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
EroCaps

Trading Backstrom is retarded.

He's been great in 3 of 4 playoff years and 3 of 4 regular seasons and is a long-term multi-tool #1 C.

Dreger is moron for suggesting it.

Semin and to a lesser extent, Green I understand.

Backstrom reacted poorly to the money but has generally always been highly thought of as a character player.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:37 AM
txpd

no...semin and to a lesser extent green you support. last off season it was semin that dreger was talking about being traded after the caps lost to montreal. i am pretty sure that you were not calling him a moron then.

neither semin, nor backstrom, nor green are going to be traded.

Old
05-08-2011, 08:56 AM
ForzaItalia

I can see Semin getting traded this summer.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:03 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
no...semin and to a lesser extent green you support. last off season it was semin that dreger was talking about being traded after the caps lost to montreal. i am pretty sure that you were not calling him a moron then.

neither semin, nor backstrom, nor green are going to be traded.
Keeping Semin only extends the team problems. This guy is a disease for the team. not seen as a team player, only an IGM guy. Guy needs to go before anyone else, period. Waste of ice space for real players that want to be on the ice.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Keeping Semin only extends the team problems. This guy is a disease for the team. not seen as a team player, only an IGM guy. Guy needs to go before anyone else, period. Waste of ice space for real players that want to be on the ice.
So you are saying that he is a bad locker room presence, lazy, doesn't care about the team. Am I understanding correctly? This guy who has been one of our best playoff performers, who has rescued us many a game, who plays pretty solid defense (with the exception of the once a game bad penalty ), and was in tears after the game simply doesn't care and is all about himself.

Some of you are barking up the wrong tree. Semin played well until the last game. Those of you expecting guys to be back checking harder need to consider the fact that the only way we were going to score was on a rush. Bruce can talk about defensive responsibility until he is blue in the face, but these guys aren't dumb. They know we need goals.

Old
05-08-2011, 10:49 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
So you are saying that he is a bad locker room presence, lazy, doesn't care about the team. Am I understanding correctly? This guy who has been one of our best playoff performers, who has rescued us many a game, who plays pretty solid defense (with the exception of the once a game bad penalty ), and was in tears after the game simply doesn't care and is all about himself.

Some of you are barking up the wrong tree. Semin played well until the last game. Those of you expecting guys to be back checking harder need to consider the fact that the only way we were going to score was on a rush. Bruce can talk about defensive responsibility until he is blue in the face, but these guys aren't dumb. They know we need goals.
Negative, you totally missed my meaning. Semin played well until the last game? Honestly, what games were you watching? The guy had a great start to the season, then got hurt and never returned to form. He disappeared last year in the playoffs and did it again this year in the second round. You must have the Semin man love going on. This guy is the most inconsistent player on the team. Is there a reason why Russia didn't want him playing on the team and ever hockey writer is calling him out, I think so. Put the Semin man love aside and see the real picture.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Negative, you totally missed my meaning. Semin played well until the last game? Honestly, what games were you watching? The guy had a great start to the season, then got hurt and never returned to form. He disappeared last year in the playoffs and did it again this year in the second round. You must have the Semin man love going on. This guy is the most inconsistent player on the team. Is there a reason why Russia didn't want him playing on the team and ever hockey writer is calling him out, I think so. Put the Semin man love aside and see the real picture.
First of all I was talking about the playoffs. As for the regular season, he was a casualty of the same problems that plagued the rest of the team. For his career he is an over a point per game guy, I wouldn't toss him out based on one below par season that hit everyone on the team. Last postseason while he wasn't getting points he was our most dangerous forward. If I remember correctly he may have led all forwards in SOG. I wouldn't call that disappearing.

For the record I am not Russian and don't have a man crush on Semin. I have no particular bias in his favor. Unless we get a hell of a return on a trade, I would prefer to see how he (and others) perform with systematic tweaks.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Haha. Using Team Russia as a basis for your argument is about the worst way to support your point. Their selection and coaching process is the thing that kills them on the international stage.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Semin, while scoring, did not do enough of the small stuff a forward with ice time needs to do.

Understood he's not going to hit. But he can control the things that are about mental toughness and hickey sense. He, like backstrom, reached for a lot of pucks instead of using his body to win battles. He'd shoot for corners instead of shooting for rebounds. And he would not stop consistently in front of the net. He'd blow behind the goal many times. Yeah he went there on the 5 on 3 during the scramble... Woooo!

Semin and backstrom both had several plays like fehr's "error". But there's occurred throughout the zones. Stickhandling in our zone, both of them, led to goals. At least fehr was trying to clear along the boards.