HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should the Rangers Sign Simon Gagne If They Sign Brad Richards?

Old
05-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
If we land Richards, many here have proposed the idea of signing Simon Gagne to fill the first line left wing position. Gagne in his current expiring contract has a $5.25 million cap hit and is 31. He tallied just 17 goals this season, but has averaged a solid 23 goals over his 11 year career, twice cracking the 40 goal mark with 47 is 05'-06' and 41 in 06'-07'.

Gagne is clearly an offensively talented player, and with Richards I say he could net around thirty or so pretty confidently. We may be able to take advantage of his age and his less than average contract year and sign him for a little cheaper than his current cap hit. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
He'd just cost cash, not youth, and might even be had for cheap with high upside. So yes, I'm serious.
I would sign him.

Gagne-Richards-Gabby would tear **** up IMO and like you said in your second post, he would just cost cash, not youth. If he is signed to a one year deal or even a two year deal, I wouldn't mind. If he can come cheap, I'd take him.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Gagne is not leaving Tampa. He loves it there with his French buddies.
But do they want to re-sign him?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:11 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

One year incentive laden deal and fine.

I'd be more interested in going after Thomas Fleischman though for a year because he might just be the best bargain out there after his health concerns (pulmonary embolism) and he fits into this system.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Ail
k.

Nope nope nope. Do not want.

05-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Vitto79

salary cap says hello. I don't think Gagne is back in TB cause I think they are going to throw any extra cash at Bryzgalov. Great run by Roloson right now but given his age does'nt make much sense to bring him back. I predict Roloson to the Yotes as a stop gap to losing Bryz.

I am all for Richards and to be honest if they don't get him I have no freaking clue what Sather is gonna do. Likely a trade even though I hope they keep their assets.

Weiss would work well in the Ranger system just not sure if he's a number 1 or 2 on a good team

After that I cant see anyone dealing a top C so if Richards does no come they may go after a top UFA Dman like Pitkanen for offense and stop gap for another yr at F. Then Gagne makes sense

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Short answer; if you can fit him without cutting any other deals short and its for one year, then yes.

Multiple years or having to sacrifice RFA contract terms? No.

Prospal-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Gagne-Stepan-Zucc/Thomas
Feds/Avery-Boyle-Prust

You could argue that we don't have enough kids, but as we saw last year injuries do happen and there will be opportunities aplenty.

05-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Gagne is one hard blow to the head away from being in Savard country, unfortunately. Pass.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:19 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'd be for it if we can get him for cheap. I doubt we can, though. I also don't know if I'd rely on him to be our first line LWer. A tap on the head and he's down, sadly.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Jussi Jokinen makes more sense. Just as good of a scorer, no heath risk and replaces EC's production in shootouts. Probably comes cheaper too.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

A Gagne-Richards-Gaborik line is a walking injury.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
A Gagne-Richards-Gaborik line is a walking injury.
Actually, it's a skating injury

Old
05-08-2011, 01:09 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
would prefer Jokinen over Gagne

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:34 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
This is just wrong, if the Rangers buyout Drury and Wolski, Keep Zucc and MDZ in the minors and waive EC and Boogard then demote them (which is all plausible) we can not only sign Richards, but add a Gagne if he comes on the cheaper side and a puck moving d-man like Pitkanen.

The cap is expected to go up to 62.2 million at least. Here's an example of how we can sign Richards, Gagne, and Pitkanen.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($3.900m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.850m) / Ryan Callahan ($3.900m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.662m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.250m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.850m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Michael Sauer ($1.500m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($3.716m)
Wojtek Wolski ($.467m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,908,334; BONUSES: $425,000
Del Zotto should be an NHL player next year, not worth hurting his development to sign a guy who might help the team if he's healthy. I think we'd all love to see Christensen and Boogaard off this team. Wishful thinking, at least with EC.

I don't think we should buy out Wolski, when it's entirely possible that he has the same performance with Richards and Gaborik as Gagne would. Gagne hasn't been a 40 goal scorer in four seasons, so it's safe to assume that he's not getting back there. I also highly doubt he only takes 3 million.

Dubinsky getting less than 4 or 4.2 is wishful thinking but I guess it's possible. Anisimov is also going to ask for 2-2.25 in all likelihood.

Just don't see how it's going to work. I also wouldn't spend more than 3 million for Pitkanen on a one year deal.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:34 PM
NYRKING30

you never know with gagne. more than most likely his best days are behind him. as someone previously said glen has probably thought about this. it would never hurt to have our docs take a look at him hes not going to command 5 plus mill this year. most likely probably be able to have him for a frolov type deal. gagne is way down on my want list but who knows what happens between now and july 1st or even draft day for that matter. if it came down to availability of certain players. i would much rather have some1 like a gagne if hes even healthy enough over a drury,ec,avery,prospal. heck the guy probably will have a better year then wolski. i just hope that it doesnt have to come down to players like gagne or even hemsky, hopefully somebody younger. does anybody feel like glen will try to make a splash at the draft?

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Del Zotto should be an NHL player next year, not worth hurting his development to sign a guy who might help the team if he's healthy. I think we'd all love to see Christensen and Boogaard off this team. Wishful thinking, at least with EC.

I don't think we should buy out Wolski, when it's entirely possible that he has the same performance with Richards and Gaborik as Gagne would. Gagne hasn't been a 40 goal scorer in four seasons, so it's safe to assume that he's not getting back there. I also highly doubt he only takes 3 million.

Dubinsky getting less than 4 or 4.2 is wishful thinking but I guess it's possible. Anisimov is also going to ask for 2-2.25 in all likelihood.

Just don't see how it's going to work. I also wouldn't spend more than 3 million for Pitkanen on a one year deal.
And he will be if he shows that he is ready. If he isn't I have no problem with him developing in CT for another year. He's still very young and there's no need to rush him.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:34 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
But do they want to re-sign him?
Yes they do he will sign cheaply for a few years until their prospects develop

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

GagNAY!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Heck, no. If we're getting a LW (we should just stick with Prospal for a season until Kreider is ready), we need a sure thing, not a big fat question mark.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Heck, no. If we're getting a LW (we should just stick with Prospal for a season until Kreider is ready), we need a sure thing, not a big fat question mark.
Yea but last time I checked, I would call Prospal's knee a big fat question mark as well..

Old
05-08-2011, 03:01 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Yea but last time I checked, I would call Prospal's knee a big fat question mark as well..
But he'll be cheap, and we know what he brings when he's healthy. He's a great fit for this team, especially if Richards comes.

If he gets injured, oh well. It won't be a catastrophe.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
But he'll be cheap, and we know what he brings when he's healthy. He's a great fit for this team, especially if Richards comes.

If he gets injured, oh well. It won't be a catastrophe.
IMO, it doesn't matter how cheap the player is when it is a one year deal, cuz it has no cap affect for future off-seasons, so I'd rather take my chances with Gagne than with Prospal

Old
05-08-2011, 03:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
IMO, it doesn't matter how cheap the player is when it is a one year deal, cuz it has no cap affect for future off-seasons, so I'd rather take my chances with Gagne than with Prospal
When we need the space to sign Richards, it does.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:23 PM
GarretJoseph

2 years, 2.5 - 3.0 per and I'll do it.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
When we need the space to sign Richards, it does.
That's why you only sign him after Richards, sorry I didn't say that, but yea, you sign him after Richards and the RFA's, then you go for Gagne with what is left.

Old
05-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post

Why should Del Zotto be an NHl Player next season? He has to earn himself a spot and this year he was pretty terrible, had a broken finger to end the season and is now coming off hernia surgery. His offensive game disappeared, making bad outlet passes, doing a terrible job on the PP, and he couldn't hit the net to save his life. We aren't even discussing his defensive game, Torts said he wants a puck moving d-man, that means unless MDZ wows him at camp he will be Hartford to start the season where he can get a ton of minutes.

Wishful thinking with EC? The guy can be waived and probably won't be claimed, hence he ends up in Hartford. Boogard may have to retire as he can't fight with his concussion issues and even if he tries a comeback he may not get cleared anytime soon. I have a hard time believing he will be with the team to start the season if at all.

I never said I think buying out Wolski is the best move, however his buyout # is really in our favor and if they (Torts and Sather) feel they can't get what they want from him thats their decision. I like him personally and think with a summer to know what is expected of him he can hopefully turn it around, he has so much skill he just needs to put it together, but I can also see Zherdev 2.0 where he is bought out goes to a team like Detroit and becomes a force.

Dubi getting less than 4 to 4.2 is very realistic. Lets compare him to another younger player who had a great season in their contract year. Wolski - 2009/2010 he had 24 goals, 42 assists for 66 points. Dubinsky had 24 goals and 30 assists for 54 points this season. Wolski got a 3.8 million dollar deal for 2 season... Dubinsky is not going to get 4.2 million, he may get 4 million a season for 3 years, I have him at 3.9, very very realistic.

Pitkanen made 4 million last season with the Canes, to leave them he is going to want a raise not a paycut, he can stay there for 3.5 I'm sure, I think it will take 4.5 (a doable number) to bring him into the fold.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote