HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

May 12: Pronger, Richards, Versteeg, Betts and Leighton updates in post #128

Old
05-08-2011, 08:12 AM
decadentia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Sorry to say, but my man here has a point.

Smaller, physical forwards tend to have a shorter shelf life.

Lame.

What's going on with Patrice is scary. I hope he has someone looking out for him... someone that won't let him sink into the horrors of dementia at the age of 50 for the sake of some NHL money.
Absolutely it was lame, though admittedly I thought he was a Bruins fan starting **** originally, then I realized he's the guy who started the "take Richards captaincy" thread. I honestly don't wish harm on anyone, and hated to see him injured on the play.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Gibbs18

http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...nodl-revealed/

Richards (Wrist), Pronger (Leg/Back), Nodl (Concussion).

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:58 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
In the paper today it said Richards was playing the second half of the year with a wrist injury, that might need surgery. Told ya.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:46 PM
tuckrr

This comes as no surprise...obviously something was off with richie, now we know it was his wrist.

However, that is NO excuse for him not moving his feet. Richie is a very dedicated and hard working captain, and I think he learned a valuable lesson this year about how "phoning it in" simply will not get the job done at the NHL level.

Hopefully he takes this learning experience and uses it to grow as a player AND a captain

(no slight against richards, i love the guy as our captain...but his energy level was not what it was last year, wrist or no wrist, and im sure he knows this. I can't wait to see what a little bit of rest and reflection in the off season will yield for this guy. This is definitely a growing moment IMO...no cause for any alarm or short-sighted moves)

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni88 View Post
Last year shoulders, this year wrist, and he's only in his 20's. This guy is not built for an extended career.
Perhaps not, he's certainly not a big man. He maybe could pace himself better in terms of physicality, but if that's how you play the game I imagine it's a difficult thing to turn off.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:32 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
This comes as no surprise...obviously something was off with richie, now we know it was his wrist.

However, that is NO excuse for him not moving his feet. Richie is a very dedicated and hard working captain, and I think he learned a valuable lesson this year about how "phoning it in" simply will not get the job done at the NHL level.

Hopefully he takes this learning experience and uses it to grow as a player AND a captain

(no slight against richards, i love the guy as our captain...but his energy level was not what it was last year, wrist or no wrist, and im sure he knows this. I can't wait to see what a little bit of rest and reflection in the off season will yield for this guy. This is definitely a growing moment IMO...no cause for any alarm or short-sighted moves)
Having played through injuries before (obviously not at any professional level), I can tell you it's near impossible to play at 100% with certain areas of your body and limit others.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Just get better and come back and own them next year.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post
Having played through injuries before (obviously not at any professional level), I can tell you it's near impossible to play at 100% with certain areas of your body and limit others.
You're always aware of it, you're always protecting the injury, and when there is pain involved even if you can fight through it you have to focus so hard it tires you mentally.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:02 PM
DenverBoone

I love it. I get lambasted for saying the Pronger signing was a terrible idea long-term, now everybody seems to come around now that he is breaking down. Peeps on this site are so short-sighted it's truly scary. I mean can you people see into next week? The guy could be done NOW! And now that Timonen may need some work, better start putting some faith into Coburn and Carle, and do it quickly.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
I love it. I get lambasted for saying the Pronger signing was a terrible idea long-term, now everybody seems to come around now that he is breaking down. Peeps on this site are so short-sighted it's truly scary. I mean can you people see into next week? The guy could be done NOW! And now that Timonen may need some work, better start putting some faith into Coburn and Carle, and do it quickly.
I didn't say he was breaking down. I'm sure we can all see him get back to normal by the time next season rolls around. There was an interview of him while he was golfing, and he can golf, then he should be in good enough shape by the time the next season rolls around.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
The same people are ripping Richards and ripped Carter for playing through injuries so pay them no heed.

Carle still sucks, though, that hasn't changed.

Old
05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
MsWoof

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=35744

Quote:
A little later today, Paul Holmgren will release the information about which players will need to undergo offseason surgery. As has been reported elsewhere, the list almost definitely includes Mike Richards (wrist and possibly shoulder) and potentially Chris Pronger (back).
Strip him of the C!

Old
05-09-2011, 08:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
We need to put faith in Carle and Coburn?

It's the other way around.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Pronger has one injury riddled season and all of a sudden he's ruined for the rest of his contract? really people. Really?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:47 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Did you not see what a complete and total trainwreck the Coburn and Carle pairing was? Did you not see what a complete and total trainwreck the Carle + anyone who isn't a future HOF defenseman was?

If our hopes and dreams for the Flyers rest on Carle, we might as well start paying attention to the top picks in the next few drafts.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Lame.
Just like Bergeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He had shoulder problems 2 years ago, not last year.
Woof, you just don't know your Flyers history. I don't either. We're just a couple of dumb broads...and I guess that's worse for me because I'm a dude, but so it goes.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:47 AM
PhillyFlying

homer should introduce a "no injuries" clause into the captaincy contract

but, seriously, ****. watching this team play without pronger and a banged up kimmo was like ripping each and every italian hair off of my happy trail and then branding a bruins logo on my pelvis.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:56 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Just like Bergeron

Woof, you just don't know your Flyers history. I don't either. We're just a couple of dumb broads...and I guess that's worse for me because I'm a dude, but so it goes.
Glad I wasn't drinking when I saw this!

Old
05-09-2011, 10:22 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Kris Versteeg tells me he's set for abdominal surgery this summer. Sounds like sports hernia.
Philabright

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Philabright
This could also explain a lot.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
This could also explain a lot.
Do wonder why 50% of our team is literally dying.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Seriously, they need to test the gatorade at the practice facility. Emery comes here, his hips dissolve. Pronger comes here, his back, foot, and hand dissolve. Carter has had both feet, a shoulder, and a knee dissolve. Richards' shoulders and wrist have dissolved. Timonen might be dissolving. Now, Versteeg's sports hernia has dissolved.

At this rate, there won't be a team left...just a fleshy puddle.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:00 PM
SteveH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Seriously, they need to test the gatorade at the practice facility. Emery comes here, his hips dissolve. Pronger comes here, his back, foot, and hand dissolve. Carter has had both feet, a shoulder, and a knee dissolve. Richards' shoulders and wrist have dissolved. Timonen might be dissolving. Now, Versteeg's sports hernia has dissolved.

At this rate, there won't be a team left...just a fleshy puddle.
Soylent Green is made from Flyers? Is this the dirty secret of Comcast?

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:08 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Isn't this something that every team goes through after a season of hockey? Is this unique to the Flyers?

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:04 PM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Isn't this something that every team goes through after a season of hockey? Is this unique to the Flyers?
with the exception of carter and gags, the flyers got really lucky last year in terms of avoiding injuries. it was bound to come back to them this year.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote