HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
05-08-2011, 12:36 PM
msv957

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post

Interesting quotes from Kreider. It could be just a negotiating tactic for the Rangers to pony up the cash.

Normally the great players have a confidence or borderline cockiness to them where they believe in their abilities so these quotes seem unusual

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats a far cry from you proclaiming all winter that Kreider was going to be on the Ranger roster come opening night 2011-2012.

Its a proclamation thats made even more comical being Kreider himself feels hes not NHL ready
Again. Its early May.

Stepan and McDonagh were dead set on returning at this time last summer.

Let's see where he's at after he gets an official offer.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:06 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
till Krieder see's the money and is told he has a chance to make the roster and be in a top 6 role he will want to sign

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Crease

Being a star college athlete is more fun than riding buses in the AHL. I think that's where Kreider's head is at right now.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Long term he would benefit more from being an AHL second liner next year than staying in college. Slats and Torts should have a talk with him.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:25 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Think I'm gonna wait until sometime after the prospects camp in June to worry about whether or not Kreider goes back to BC. Strangely, I'm feeling a sense of deja vu, like we were having the same conversations about another Ranger prospect who expressed similar thoughts last year at this time.

Also, it might be nice for Kreider himself hear some positive feedback from his future head coach and staff on what they see in him...it might alleviate some of the doubts he may be having right now.

Good thing we have Arthur Staple offering his learned opinion on whether or not Kreider is ready.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:30 PM
GarretJoseph

If the kid isn't using this as a negotiating tool and he honestly doesn't feel he's ready for the NHL then all I can say is he'll never be ready with that attitude. This is a major red flag for me. I can't skate to save my life but if the Rangers or any NHL team for that matter offered me a contract, I'd well damn make sure I'd take it. This kid is a FIRST ROUND PICK. Maybe a month with Messier will harden him up mentally.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
If the kid isn't using this as a negotiating tool and he honestly doesn't feel he's ready for the NHL then all I can say is he'll never be ready with that attitude. This is a major red flag for me. I can't skate to save my life but if the Rangers or any NHL team for that matter offered me a contract, I'd well damn make sure I'd take it. This kid is a FIRST ROUND PICK. Maybe a month with Messier will harden him up mentally.
Shouldn't base red flags on speculation from internet postings by fans. Wasn't viewed as a "negotiating tool" when Stepan was initially leaning towards returning to Wisconsin, we should grant Kreider the same benefit of the doubt. Impossible to draw any conclusions about what he's actually thinking, other than quotes he gives to the media.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollaz89 View Post
till Krieder see's the money and is told he has a chance to make the roster and be in a top 6 role he will want to sign
I can't see him making the team next year. No way. He could definitely benefit from time in the AHL, though, so I hope he does come around and sign.

To be honest, I think if he returns to BC another year, it's just delaying Kreider's entrance into the league. I think he will need time in the AHL regardless of how long he stays in college.

If he goes back to BC, who knows when we'll see him as a Ranger. Yeesh.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Staying in college is a viable and honorable course. I'm sure his present team would appreciate him staying. Turning pro isn't everything. Balance and the right choice at the right time is key. Let him come to camp and taste it.... There's no immediate rush on the NY Rangers. Whose spot is He magically upgrading in October?

Oh and college is fun..... Maybe more so for star athletes destined for the NHL

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Long term he would benefit more from being an AHL second liner next year than staying in college. Slats and Torts should have a talk with him.
Long term? There is life after hockey..... Long term the best course might really be graduate college >>> NHL

Old
05-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Long term? There is life after hockey..... Long term the best course might really be graduate college >>> NHL
He can graduate from college even if he signs. Stepan and McDonagh are taking courses in the summer to finish their educations. Long term, staying in school wastes a possible year of his career.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
He can graduate from college even if he signs. Stepan and McDonagh are taking courses in the summer to finish their educations. Long term, staying in school wastes a possible year of his career.
And if he gets injured could cost him millions of dollars.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

The only time an athlete should stay in school is if he's limited talent wise. Doesn't think he's THAT good. ie pro good. imo

They're not there for an education. Yeah that's a nice alternative but they're there to prep themselves for for the next level.

I tend to find it odd that a college athlete wants to stay in school and not turn pro as soon as he can. Again unless he knows his skills are lacking. And NEEDS all four years to work his game for the pros. But to me this doesn't sound like Kreider. He's physically and some of his skills are pro ready.

You can always get an education later on. You're never too old. Not sure why this would be a priority now. If it is at all.

Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Rangers?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Life experience can be worth more than $$$. Putting of the NHL to say with his current team and finish school shows character. The potential for injury is no way to guide his career choices.

Its interesting because the Rangers you have a guy like Stepan who makes the cut, and MDZ who has clearly struggled and gets to room with Redden

Old
05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Pugs35

What a dumbass! I know, living here on the internet, exactly what's best for this kid from Boston. What kind of person ever doubts that they'd be able to step in and dominate against the best players in the world? Trade him. If he doesn't want to sign here when I think he should than we don't need the likes of him in NY. Just like that bum McDonagh... oh wait.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Life experience can be worth more than $$$. Putting of the NHL to say with his current team and finish school shows character. The potential for injury is no way to guide his career choices.

Its interesting because the Rangers you have a guy like Stepan who makes the cut, and MDZ who has clearly struggled and gets to room with Redden
When we draft him in the first round and he doesn't want to sign with us when we clearly want to sign him, I don't take good character from that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

id question his intelligence when it comes to this. he feels hes not ready to make the jump to the AHL based on 2 seasons of NCAA hockey...if thats the case, go play for the Q for 1 season, id understand that more than this decision. NCAA, imho, is not a great stepping stone league. McDonagh and Stepan are the exception, not the rule.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:01 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
When we draft him in the first round and he doesn't want to sign with us when we clearly want to sign him, I don't take good character from that.
How about you wait until we actually offer him a contract to determine what his ultimate decision is gonna be?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:02 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
The only time an athlete should stay in school is if he's limited talent wise. Doesn't think he's THAT good. ie pro good. imo

They're not there for an education. Yeah that's a nice alternative but they're there to prep themselves for for the next level.

I tend to find it odd that a college athlete wants to stay in school and not turn pro as soon as he can. Again unless he knows his skills are lacking. And NEEDS all four years to work his game for the pros. But to me this doesn't sound like Kreider. He's physically and some of his skills are pro ready.

You can always get an education later on. You're never too old. Not sure why this would be a priority now. If it is at all.

Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Rangers?
I think all athletes in college should stay the whole 4 years. He went to school, joined a team. Show some balls and lead your team. They have jrs for guys who have no interest in scholastic commitments.

This is hockey not football, please let's not turn it into the NBA

Old
05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
How about you wait until we actually offer him a contract to determine what his ultimate decision is gonna be?
So I can't defend my point of view? I've already SAID let's wait and see. I'm just saying I don't take anything good from him going back to college, developmental or character wise. Simple as that.

Old
05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id question his intelligence when it comes to this. he feels hes not ready to make the jump to the AHL based on 2 seasons of NCAA hockey...if thats the case, go play for the Q for 1 season, id understand that more than this decision. NCAA, imho, is not a great stepping stone league. McDonagh and Stepan are the exception, not the rule.
Didn't the Rangers want him to play in the Q after he was drafted, but he blew them off and played NCAA?

Glad to see him showing commitment to making the NHL.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 09:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
So I can't defend my point of view? I've already SAID let's wait and see. I'm just saying I don't take anything good from him going back to college, developmental or character wise. Simple as that.
What about the many other advantages college has to offer, outside of hockey?

Old
05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
What about the many other advantages college has to offer, outside of hockey?
We drafted him with our first round pick. He made the commitment to want to play professional hockey.

Look, I'm not crucifying him if he goes back to college. I won't hold it against him at all. I just don't like it.

Old
05-08-2011, 09:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Well given that we haven't offered him a contract yet, it seems unfair to blast the kid over the fact that "he doesn't want to sign with us when we clearly want to sign him."

We won't be 100% sure about what either he or the Rangers think until they make him an offer, so let's just wait and see how this plays out before we start tagging him with character issues.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote