HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: Game 5 - Predators def. Canucks - 4-3

Old
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
David71

vCash: 500
sedins are awful, NEED to stop making the pretty plays all the time.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
1) The Sedins were absolutely pathetic last night. It's inexcusable how they've played these entire playoffs. It's not a bad stretch of one or two games, it's an entire playoff that they've been bad in. The Sedins are proving beyond any doubt that they cannot carry a team in the playoffs. They don't even need to carry the team this year, and yet they're still playing like crap. And for those who want to use the excuse that they're playing against Weber-Suter...they aren't! They're playing against Shane O'Brien and Kevin Klein! There's absolutely no excuse for the Sedins to be playing like this, and I'm not making a bold statement in saying that as long as the Sedins are the franchise players here we will not even make the Stanley Cup finals. The only reason we're knocking the door at round 3 is because of the stellar play from Ryan Kesler.

2) Alex Edler has gotten progressively worse as the playoffs have gone on. He and Christian Ehrhoff look like the keystone cops in their own zone. Absolutely atrocious. If Kevin Bieksa were playing as horrible as these two have been in their own zone there would be about 20 threads complaining about Bieksa alone. But because it's Edler people are willing to give him a free pass. It's appauling how some people are still saying they wouldn't trade him for Shea Weber who's so good he's able to be matched up against Kesler and, while on the bench shut down the Sedin line.

3) AV again is simply being outcoached by Trotz. He's not helping himself or the team out by not icing the best lineup on any given night. When you bench a $4.2M defenseman in favour of a $700k journeyman, you're not putting out the best lineup you possibly can. Wasn't Vigneault supposed to be the guy who rewarded players for playing well and benched players who aren't? There's no excuse for the Sedins to be leading our team in icetime last night. They had a healthy 2 more minutes than Ryan Kesler. Why?? The Sedin line has been so bad that they're bringing their own linemates down. Alex Burrows looked great when he was taken off their line. As soon as he's put back, his play declines. It's time for Vigneault to reward the guys who are playing with passion and emotion and giving 110%. I would go with a line of Higgins-Kesler-Burrows as our top line, and play the Raymond-Lapierre-Hansen line as our second line. Drop the Sedins down to third line status and put someone like Jeff Tambellini in there with them. Hopefully he'll be hungry enough and he'll provide an extra jolt to get them going again.
I don't know if I agree with the Sedins on the 3rd line bit but pretty much everything else is spot on.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Scurr

Quote:
1) They're playing against Shane O'Brien and Kevin Klein! There's absolutely no excuse for the Sedins to be playing like this, and I'm not making a bold statement in saying that as long as the Sedins are the franchise players here we will not even make the Stanley Cup finals. The only reason we're knocking the door at round 3 is because of the stellar play from Ryan Kesler.
Does anyone know where to find the breakdown of who is playing aganist who and how much? They said on the broadcast that Weber/Suter played against the Sedins 70% in game 4. And we wouldn't be in the second round without Daniel scoring 5 goals in the first round. Nice try though.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:20 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Does anyone know where to find the breakdown of who is playing aganist who and how much? They said on the broadcast that Weber/Suter played against the Sedins 70% in game 4. And we wouldn't be in the second round without Daniel scoring 5 goals in the first round. Nice try though.
http://timeonice.com/SC1011.html?Gam...0235&submit=Go

Ummm...are you serious? We wouldn't be in the second round without Daniel scoring 5 goals in the first round? Wow...just wow. Daniel Sedin showed up for 2 games in the first round. Yes, those were 2 huge wins in the longrun as we couldn't win a game after that. But the series doesn't go 7 if the Sedins show up at any point after game 3.

05-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Crows*

Injuries are no excuse. Look what yzerman did in 2002. Lead the wings to the cup on one leg.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:24 PM
TMI
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
If anyone has it, behindthenet does. Klein and SOB aren't typically paired together unless on the PK though. Klein and Blum have played the majority of their time together, and SOB tends to play with Franson.

edit: nevermind pauser provided a link

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 04:29 PM
particularsolution

Before last night, all of Kesler's goals came on the PP WITH the Sedins. They haven't been great but it's hilarious how quickly the perspective changes with Canucks fans. It wasn't that long ago that Kesler was sitting on 0 goals in 9 playoff games. I hate to admit this, but Botch made a great point with his article about Canucks fans' perspective on how the Sedins have been playing.

particularsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Worst Canuck on the ice last night was (IMO) Edler. Has the horrible fortune/puck sense to knock that puck into his own net to make it 2-2. The Preds weren't even in the game at that point and without that lucky goal, they may never have been. Then Edler proceeds to misplay the puck in front of his own net to give it to Joel Ward on the 4-2 goal, I think it was? Oi. For all the flak the Twins and Aaron Rome get on here, I'm kind of amazed that Edler has flown under the radar for some fans. He has been truly awful in a few games this series.

Ryan Kesler continues to amaze me. Not too pleased with his getting into it with the Preds players and showing off, but--unlike Bertuzzi in 2003--he has certainly backed it up. 5 goals and 4 assists in 5 games thus far this series. (to contrast, I think Bertuzzi had only 1 goal in the series against Minnesota and that came in Game 7). He was certainly the best Canuck on the ice.

Joel Ward is an impressive, impressive player. I thought heading into this series that he would be key for the Predators as he is an excellent defensive player, but I never anticipated this offense from him.

Samuelsson's gaffe on the 1st goal...oi.

I actually thought the Twins had another promising game, especially in the offensive end. People looking to blame some of the goals on them are looking for a scapegoat. Yeah, I wish they were producing more and were right up there with Kesler offensively too, but you still need to be objective in their play.

Luongo went down too early, too often IMO. He's at his best when he plays large and covers most of the net, but there were several plays where he was down far too early. Hopefully he can adjust for Game 6.

The real piss-off for me in this game was that lucky goal to start the 2nd. The Preds always seem able to get some ping-pong shot into the net to get some life, but they weren't even sniffing this game until that break. Dammit. Hopefully we can earn some of our own luck in Game 6.

At this point, I would suggest we sit Edler for a game and bring Ballard in, but that would be heresy.

The other piss-off was that the Twins led the team in ice time (22-23 minutes), much more than even Kesler.

It seems to me that Kesler is really the only guy who can handle playing 23 minutes out of our forward group. The Twins are best at 19-20 minutes max, including PP time. The remainder has to be picked up by our bottom 6, and they've been pretty solid thusfar, particularly Lapierre's line.

I also think Glass needs to get out. He's just too slow out there and I can't recall a single chance he's generated, not even a shot, just a nice pass or a good deep shift.

The bottom 6 should look like this:

Torres - Lappy - Hansen
Oreo - Hodgson - Tambellini (some speed and puck movement here).

Ballard should get in for Rome and play 18-20 minutes. And Edler should get paired with Salo and play fewer minutes. He just looks gassed out there and it's showing up in the form of mental mistakes.

Bieksa- Hamhuis
Erhoff - Ballard
Edler-Salo

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 05:32 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
At this point, I would suggest we sit Edler for a game and bring Ballard in, but that would be heresy.

The other piss-off was that the Twins led the team in ice time (22-23 minutes), much more than even Kesler.

It seems to me that Kesler is really the only guy who can handle playing 23 minutes out of our forward group. The Twins are best at 19-20 minutes max, including PP time. The remainder has to be picked up by our bottom 6, and they've been pretty solid thusfar, particularly Lapierre's line.

I also think Glass needs to get out. He's just too slow out there and I can't recall a single chance he's generated, not even a shot, just a nice pass or a good deep shift.

The bottom 6 should look like this:

Torres - Lappy - Hansen
Oreo - Hodgson - Tambellini (some speed and puck movement here).

Ballard should get in for Rome and play 18-20 minutes. And Edler should get paired with Salo and play fewer minutes. He just looks gassed out there and it's showing up in the form of mental mistakes.

Bieksa- Hamhuis
Erhoff - Ballard
Edler-Salo
This. Glass hasn't been doing anything out there at all - he needs to sit out. Use our depth at forward and on D for goodness' sake! It just feels like AV's hampering this team by putting in players with lesser abilities. Not saying Rome sucks and all, but when you flip the puck out with 2 minutes to go and you had an option to make a pass...

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Him being in the lineup actually bothers me more than Rome - and that says something (Rome wasn't all that bad in game 5). Granted, I don't want Rome on the ice at all in the final two minutes (whether we're up or down by a goal).

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Lundface*

Quote:
http://timeonice.com/SC1011.html?Gam...0235&submit=Go

Ummm...are you serious? We wouldn't be in the second round without Daniel scoring 5 goals in the first round? Wow...just wow. Daniel Sedin showed up for 2 games in the first round. Yes, those were 2 huge wins in the longrun as we couldn't win a game after that. But the series doesn't go 7 if the Sedins show up at any point after game 3.
Those stats are from game 5, not like game 4 as he mentioned.

I find it funny with you. You support the Canucks no? Have they been eliminated?

I don't care how Vancouver wins, just that they do. You sound like the people you fight with daily that claim Canada won gold in spite of Luongo.

Lundface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:25 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Those stats are from game 5, not like game 4 as he mentioned.

I find it funny with you. You support the Canucks no? Have they been eliminated?

I don't care how Vancouver wins, just that they do. You sound like the people you fight with daily that claim Canada won gold in spite of Luongo.
People would rather be right then see the Canucks win. I truly believe this.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:27 PM
ItWasTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by particularsolution View Post
Before last night, all of Kesler's goals came on the PP WITH the Sedins. They haven't been great but it's hilarious how quickly the perspective changes with Canucks fans. It wasn't that long ago that Kesler was sitting on 0 goals in 9 playoff games. I hate to admit this, but Botch made a great point with his article about Canucks fans' perspective on how the Sedins have been playing.
The difference though - which has been said numerous times - is that Kesler, while not scoring at all, was shutting down Toews for all of round 1, and he did a damn good job at that. He also back-checked hard and played a defensive role.

The Sedins (mainly Hank) didn't come anywhere close to what we should expect from them offensively, and defensively as usual they are a no-show. No back check, whimsy checks added with no offense is a cause for concern and them being franchise players I think we have every right to criticize them. It has nothing to do with Canuck fans' perspective as it is portrayed through the media.

The media in Vancouver is generally a bunch of ***** with little to no hockey knowledge who jump on to criticize the team at any given opportunity anyway, so spare me.

ItWasTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:48 PM
VanEric

It's certainly fair to gloss over anything positive they do because they got a - for Edler banking the puck into his own zone.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:53 PM
rikki05

i don't get how they still are considered our #1 pp line!! they get all the "set up" shifts and do nothing with them. i was confused how/why you put them out in the final min of the game. personally i would've thrown out kes, burrows, higgins, and hansen (4 forwards, when we pulled the goalie)!!!

i really hope they pull it together sooner rather then later. better late then never! but jeez figure it out!!!!!

rikki05 is offline   Reply With Quote