HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beat the Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM
  #151
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I believe the reason for the Canucks lower scoring numbers in the playoffs lie in the fact they no longer have 7 power plays a game to score on and that they are not playing against teams from the worst division for 24 games a season. In short, the Canucks are not as good as their record indicates and are their deficiencies are being exposed in the playoffs once again.

I was watching the Preds-Ducks series and it was one of the most entertaining series thus far. Plenty of goals and end to end action.
You could be right on the division hurting the Canucks in the post season. The Preds arguably suffered the same type of fate in the first couple seasons after the lockout. We easily got 100-plus points and then quickly faltered in the playoffs. Although it was against a San Jose team we don't match up well against both times, it was also partially due (probably) to the fact that our division was Nashville and Detroit beating up on Columbus, Chicago, and St. Louis the whole time. We probably weren't as "good" as our record indicated. We clearly weren't mentally tough and as well-rounded as we thought once the playoffs hit.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
  #152
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I've been saying just that about the canucks division for a while now. And talk about the pot calling the kettle black the canucks play a trap 1 2 2 trap. The predators play and aggressive fore check a 2 1 2 set up. So much for being a knowledgeable canadian fan base.....

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
  #153
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
I was watching the Preds-Ducks series and it was one of the most entertaining series thus far. Plenty of goals and end to end action.
It's funny how many media outlets, on both sides of the border, conceded that the Nashville/Anaheim series was the most entertaining going into round 2. All of a sudden the preds are playing Vancouver, the favourite to win the cup, that has scored the third fewest goals out of any playoff team this post season and the canadian media starts talking about how Nashville plays a boring style and we're using the trap. What ignorant, biased garbage. The nucks are the only ones to blame for their lack of offense opportunities.


Last edited by Everlong: 05-02-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:47 PM
  #154
bipolarhabfan
Registered User
 
bipolarhabfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I've been saying just that about the canucks division for a while now. And talk about the pot calling the kettle black the canucks play a trap 1 2 2 trap. The predators play and aggressive fore check a 2 1 2 set up. So much for being a knowledgeable canadian fan base.....
It is all relative. Your nationality makes no difference when it comes to hockey knowledge.

I have encountered many Canuck fans who smugly stated they would walk all over the Preds. I said it ain't gonna happen. In fact, I retorted that the Canucks would be very fortunate to win it because of their inability to score in the playoffs and the Preds innate defensive abilities effectively counteracting the Nucks offense. As well, the Canucks top players regress the further the playoffs go. In short, I believe the Nucks are overrated.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:10 AM
  #155
gonegonegone*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
you guys are really letting everyone down.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:14 AM
  #156
Reviled
Partisan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
you guys are really letting everyone down.
No one more than ourselves...

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:47 AM
  #157
coo1beans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
As the saying goes, you need a dance partner to tango. The Canucks are indeed as much to blame for the type of hockey being played. It is interesting to note the Canucks goal scoring in the playoffs, game-by-game, is the following: 2-4-3-2-0-3-2-1-1 = 18/9 for 2 goals a game. That is one full goal less than their regular season GAA and one full goal less per game than the 'defensive' Preds who have 24 goals in eight playoff games.

I believe the reason for the Canucks lower scoring numbers in the playoffs lie in the fact they no longer have 7 power plays a game to score on and that they are not playing against teams from the worst division for 24 games a season. In short, the Canucks are not as good as their record indicates and are their deficiencies are being exposed in the playoffs once again.

I was watching the Preds-Ducks series and it was one of the most entertaining series thus far. Plenty of goals and end to end action.
In short, the Canucks have the offense to win wide open games and the defense + goal tending to win tight low scoring games.See what I did there?

Bottom line they're still winning regardless of how they're doing it.

Nashville prides itself on their great team defense, so tight low scoring games were expected. They're playing the best offensive/defensive team from the regular season. This series is going exactly how everyone thought it would, defense+goaltending almost washing out and the nux offense being superior hence the nux winning 1 goal games. Nashville is well coached and plays a great team game, but it seems they simply lack the star power up front to compete with the nux at this point. Save for that late tying goal in game 2, this series could have been over by now.

coo1beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:51 AM
  #158
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
The weak division theory for the canucks is pretty much.. well weak..

The stats don't lie.

12-5-3 vs the central

13-5-2 vs the pacific

11-5-2 vs the east.

.621 winning percentage outside of the northwest.

They went 18-4-2 vs the northwest. Even if you take 5 regulation wins from the canucks against the northwest and have them go 13-9-2, they still lead the league with 107 points.

Bad argument.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:36 PM
  #159
Tarot Sport*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,281
vCash: 500
The Predators just need to expose the Canucks. The exposing process takes about 3 games—as documented by Jonathan Toews and the Blackhawks. These games are all wins for the exposing team.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
  #160
Crows*
 
Crows*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Woolf View Post
The Predators just need to expose the Canucks. The exposing process takes about 3 games—as documented by Jonathan Toews and the Blackhawks. These games are all wins for the exposing team.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell them!

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
  #161
F A N
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
It is all relative. Your nationality makes no difference when it comes to hockey knowledge.

I have encountered many Canuck fans who smugly stated they would walk all over the Preds. I said it ain't gonna happen. In fact, I retorted that the Canucks would be very fortunate to win it because of their inability to score in the playoffs and the Preds innate defensive abilities effectively counteracting the Nucks offense. As well, the Canucks top players regress the further the playoffs go. In short, I believe the Nucks are overrated.
Canucks fan here. I'm actually surprised with the way the series has gone. I'm not surprised that the games have been close in score and there being a Game 6. I'm surprised that the series is the way it is despite the fact that there's a rediculous stat like the Predators having only led by less than 11 minutes prior to Game 5.

I, of course, still think the Canucks will win this series but watching the Chicago and Nashville series have definitely made me worry about the Canucks' chances at winning the Cup.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:49 PM
  #162
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F A N View Post
Canucks fan here. I'm actually surprised with the way the series has gone. I'm not surprised that the games have been close in score and there being a Game 6. I'm surprised that the series is the way it is despite the fact that there's a rediculous stat like the Predators having only led by less than 11 minutes prior to Game 5.

I, of course, still think the Canucks will win this series but watching the Chicago and Nashville series have definitely made me worry about the Canucks' chances at winning the Cup.
The longer the series goes the more tired the Canucks become and the memory of the Chicago win starts to fade. The series is now Ward and Legwand line versus the Kesler line. If the Sedins don't show up then they are leaving the door open for the Predators other lines to contribute and if that happens then you got to be horrified

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:16 AM
  #163
JamesBond*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Woolf View Post
The Predators just need to expose the Canucks. The exposing process takes about 3 games—as documented by Jonathan Toews and the Blackhawks. These games are all wins for the exposing team.
But then what about game 6 and 7? Did you watch those in the Chi/Van series?

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:20 AM
  #164
JamesBond*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
The longer the series goes the more tired the Canucks become and the memory of the Chicago win starts to fade. The series is now Ward and Legwand line versus the Kesler line. If the Sedins don't show up then they are leaving the door open for the Predators other lines to contribute and if that happens then you got to be horrified
The Sedins have been terrible.

Ward/Legwand are no comparison to Kesler though. He's in a world all his own. Ward has had some nice one timers, but it's not like he is controlling the play and dicatating the flow of the game like Kesler is.

Nashville has a very good chance to win the series, IMO. All they have to do is win at home and then it's a one off.

It's interesting how hard some teams this year have had at closing off series. I see San Jose collapsed in the 3rd tonight. Same situation for Detroit now. Win once at home and get a 1 game winner take all shot. Odds don't see that far fetched.....of course history tells us different.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:56 AM
  #165
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
The Sedins have been terrible.

Ward/Legwand are no comparison to Kesler though. He's in a world all his own. Ward has had some nice one timers, but it's not like he is controlling the play and dicatating the flow of the game like Kesler is.

Nashville has a very good chance to win the series, IMO. All they have to do is win at home and then it's a one off.

It's interesting how hard some teams this year have had at closing off series. I see San Jose collapsed in the 3rd tonight. Same situation for Detroit now. Win once at home and get a 1 game winner take all shot. Odds don't see that far fetched.....of course history tells us different.
I wasn't comparing Ward/Legwand talents versus Kesler talents. Kesler right now is in world of his own. But scoring lines in the series that was what I was comparing. Legwand/Ward have 7 goals and Kesler alone has 5.Wonder where this series would be now if that call wasn't called in game 3. Game 5 the refs let em play and the Canucks looked tired. You wouldn't think that the refs are going to give the Canucks one more do you or is that the way you wanna win. You think maybe that Canucks have opened that doubt door again. Winning against the Chicago doesn't mean you won the cup. Slaying dragons can take a lot out of a team.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:02 AM
  #166
JamesBond*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I wasn't comparing Ward/Legwand talents versus Kesler talents. Kesler right now is in world of his own. But scoring lines in the series that was what I was comparing. Legwand/Ward have 7 goals and Kesler alone has 5.Wonder where this series would be now if that call wasn't called in game 3. Game 5 the refs let em play and the Canucks looked tired. You wouldn't think that the refs are going to give the Canucks one more do you or is that the way you wanna win. You think maybe that Canucks have opened that doubt door again. Winning against the Chicago doesn't mean you won the cup. Slaying dragons can take a lot out of a team.
Yeah, all valid points.

The call in game 5 was bad....but you can also 'what if' all day long and it goes both ways. "What if" Samuelsson did not mishandle the puck in game 5 at the blue line. What if the game 2 game tying goal did not go in off a Canuck skate, what if Edler does not incur an own goal.

Bottom line is, it is what it is. Bad calls are going to happen. Championship teams don't lose series based on one bad call.

The door of doubt may be open again, but to be honest, I don't get that feeling. Maybe it's because we have been through this so many times in VAncouver that we are desensitized to it......or maybe it's just plain experience......but there does not seem to be the angst in VAncouver there was in the Chicago series.

Now then.....if the Predators come out and spank the Canucks tomorrow - that may all change.

JamesBond* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 05:55 AM
  #167
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo1beans View Post
In short, the Canucks have the offense to win wide open games and the defense + goal tending to win tight low scoring games.See what I did there?

Bottom line they're still winning regardless of how they're doing it.

Nashville prides itself on their great team defense, so tight low scoring games were expected. They're playing the best offensive/defensive team from the regular season. This series is going exactly how everyone thought it would, defense+goaltending almost washing out and the nux offense being superior hence the nux winning 1 goal games. Nashville is well coached and plays a great team game, but it seems they simply lack the star power up front to compete with the nux at this point. Save for that late tying goal in game 2, this series could have been over by now.
Sure it could be over by now. Here's the thing that people seem to forget, say Game 2 doesn't go to OT and Nashville is down 2-0 heading back to Nashville, it doesn't guarantee Vancouver winning once they get here. Sure, you say, well they swept. Well, the course of events in everyone's life would've changed by a few hours. That's a pretty big factor that people always forget about. Things have turned out the way they have because of previous events. One changed play in any game changes the outcome completely in that game and the rest of the series because people are now in different places. I know I'm stretching this but players lives have been changed dramatically. Who's to say Nashville doesn't come back to Nashville down 2-0 and sweeps the home games, goes into Vancouver and is up 3-2 at this point? You don't know as I don't to that theory. All I know is it's 3-2 Vancouver and a game tonight in Nashville. It's been a great series of very good teams battling it out. Both Rinne and Luongo have looked like the Vezina nominees they are. Good luck tonight.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:45 AM
  #168
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
Yeah, all valid points.

The call in game 5 was bad....but you can also 'what if' all day long and it goes both ways. "What if" Samuelsson did not mishandle the puck in game 5 at the blue line. What if the game 2 game tying goal did not go in off a Canuck skate, what if Edler does not incur an own goal.

Bottom line is, it is what it is. Bad calls are going to happen. Championship teams don't lose series based on one bad call.

The door of doubt may be open again, but to be honest, I don't get that feeling. Maybe it's because we have been through this so many times in VAncouver that we are desensitized to it......or maybe it's just plain experience......but there does not seem to be the angst in VAncouver there was in the Chicago series.

Now then.....if the Predators come out and spank the Canucks tomorrow - that may all change.
Yeah all valid points
But you have to look at the key signs in the series.
Luongo is was the first goalie to break in the tug of war
the karma goals are going the Predators way...ex Suter goal in game 2 and Legwand goal in game 5
We lost a key player in Smithson and now you've lost Samuelson
We've figured out Luongo and his weaknesses and Rinne is still playing stellar
Your D is tired and made key turnovers that led to goals in game 5
You said that Vancouver has been through this many times but that was with Chicago and they had to win 4 games to win the series
When you let off your foot off the gas pedal bad things happens

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:08 AM
  #169
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sure it could be over by now. Here's the thing that people seem to forget, say Game 2 doesn't go to OT and Nashville is down 2-0 heading back to Nashville, it doesn't guarantee Vancouver winning once they get here. Sure, you say, well they swept. Well, the course of events in everyone's life would've changed by a few hours. That's a pretty big factor that people always forget about. Things have turned out the way they have because of previous events. One changed play in any game changes the outcome completely in that game and the rest of the series because people are now in different places. I know I'm stretching this but players lives have been changed dramatically. Who's to say Nashville doesn't come back to Nashville down 2-0 and sweeps the home games, goes into Vancouver and is up 3-2 at this point? You don't know as I don't to that theory. All I know is it's 3-2 Vancouver and a game tonight in Nashville. It's been a great series of very good teams battling it out. Both Rinne and Luongo have looked like the Vezina nominees they are. Good luck tonight.

Not only that, the Canucks benefitted from a very suspect call in game 3 to win in OT. Prior to that call, the Predators had pretty well controlled OT and had a few great chances of their own. If that call isn't made, who says the series isn't 3-2 in favor of Nashville now?

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.