HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"the reffing is unfair"

Old
05-06-2011, 09:27 PM
eli J
Claw Machine broke

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eli J
The one thing everyone ignores is that having a powerplay doesn't mean you score. It still takes a ton of hard work to score on a powerplay. That's why 20%+ for PP success is considered very good. Vancouver has had a few timely powerplays that we scored on, but it wasn't the refs giving us the game when there was no team getting the vast majority of calls (like there was in the Chicago series). Unless a team is getting a 2:1 advantage or something ridiculous, I'd blame my own powerplay or penalty kill before whining about the refs. I remember a game against Calgary or someone (a fanbase that loathes us is all I remember) where their fans accused the refs of giving us the game because he scored like 3 PP goals on like 7 opportunities, despite them having like 8 opportunities themselves. Vancouver scoring on the PP wouldn't look so glaring if the opposition was scoring on theirs, but because they don't (and Nashville's PP is garbage), every Canucks PP goal is scrutinized all the more for the call that birthed it.

eli J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
The thing I've noticed is that the quicker, more physical team gets way more leniency. More often they deem things as "hockey plays" versus "infractions" because it happens during the play and not as a result of getting caught out of position. So people get away with hooks, holds, cross-checks, slashing, etc. because it happens so quickly and they already let go 20 other borderline plays like that in the game.
Sure didn't seem to apply to the Canucks in the Hawks series.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Sedinery2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
I just realized my initial point wasn't that clear....

my point is that Nashville and Chicago are teams that don't incur a lot of penalties, period. So the power play advantage is bound to go their way. No conspiracy.
thats a ******** way to analyze the situation. you clearly didnt even watch the games. chicago was getting away with so much **** while canucks would get penalized for total crap.

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:19 AM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
I just realized my initial point wasn't that clear....

my point is that Nashville and Chicago are teams that don't incur a lot of penalties, period. So the power play advantage is bound to go their way. No conspiracy.
A conspiracy theorist would point to Chicago having low PIM's in the regular season as part of the conspiracy. The Hawks are league darlings. Bettman wants them to win again and pump up that huge Chicago market. He tells the refs not to call too many penalties on them.

I, on the other hand, am not a conspiracy theorist - I think most CT's are complete clowns who delude themselves that their contrary points of view are evidence of their ability to think "critically". (OK I guess I'm talking more about these 9/11 - Bin Laden conspiracy theorists than NHL fans with homer glasses, carry on).

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Burr14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Shh! LOL

This series has featured some blown calls that have turned out majorly to our advantage.

Just be happy.
You cannot just look at what was called. What wasn't called is equally important. That Weber hook that arguably wasn't a penalty does not make up for all the calls that were missed. I'm not saying we are getting jobbed in this series but we certainly have not had any advantage from the refs. If anything it is the opposite.

Burr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Nashville is probably the worst TV draw left in the playoffs. Small market, no offense, and all country.

We're a good sized market, have recognizable names--including a couple Real American Heros, and can score some highlight reel goals.

There's your conspiracy.
If the league had any significant influence in the end results of the games at all it would have been doing everything in it's power to make sure that there wasn't the possibility of the round two winners beating their opponents by a margin of 16 games to 2.

Think of the lost gate and television advertising revenue.

Besides, with most of Bettmans other pet projects failing, do you think he would actually mandate anything anti Nashville?

Wait... you were being sarcastic right?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:39 AM
EskemoJoe

I dont get how the league doesnt games being decided on PP goals in OT, you are influencing the outcome just as much by not making calls.

EskemoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeJerry View Post
A conspiracy theorist would point to
I, on the other hand, am not a conspiracy theorist - I think most CT's are complete clowns who delude themselves that their contrary points of view are evidence of their ability to think "critically". (OK I guess I'm talking more about these 9/11 - Bin Laden conspiracy theorists than NHL fans with homer glasses, carry on).
I wouldn't call it a Conspiracy as much as possible corruption.

The NHL has two cases of Conflict of Interest they refuse to remove, and Six owners under Gary Bettman have been convicted of Conspiracy and Fraud and are serving lengthy prison terms of up to 25 years.

Any business with that kind of record would certainly have its integrity called into question.

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

People seem to even want to use our special teams against us. Like us being good at it, makes us any less worthy to have a powerplay, or any more susceptible to take a penalty.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebank_miceelf View Post
People seem to even want to use our special teams against us. Like us being good at it, makes us any less worthy to have a powerplay, or any more susceptible to take a penalty.
Well, if the Canucks get up by even two goals against Nashville, you can expect a lot of TV sets to get turned off early.

The NHL doesn't like that.

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote