HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our window of opportunity and opinion on what we should do in the offseason

Old
05-08-2011, 07:53 PM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Window of oppurtunity closing? Giroux, JVR, Carter, Richards, Coburn, Versteeg, Carle, Mez are all young guys, not to mention the fact they range from good contributors to star players. I look at it as if we are a couple of smart GM moves away from being a powerhouse.
i understand what you are saying. but the way i look at it, briere and pronger are signed until they are each at a point in their respective careers where they wont be able to do much at all, and at that time they will account for a sixth of our salary cap. i just find that number extremely intriguing.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:58 PM
FLYERSxGIROUX28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
reflecting back

i'd have to say, the team is too "sweet" for playoff hockey
this is a good team for advancing / getting to the playoffs.
but, as we can see
playoff hockey is totally different than playoff hockey

team we have is too sweet, cute, offensively driven
put up against a strong defensive team.......... we really suck

first thing' first
they need to address goaltending issue
if they don't address goaltending, then it really won't matter much what they put in
front though.
once that is addressed, get d-men willing and capable of lying down, and blocking a shot or two. Players watching these guys put it all on the line , feed off of that, and play with even more motivation.
we also don't need 3 lines of 'sweet,finesse ' players. we also don't need guys who
will go out of their way to make a hit because, they almost always end up in the box because officiating in the NHL has sunken to an all-new low. ( This is due to players totally embellishing the call. ( if the refs put their whistles away , for the most part ) and call clear cut penalties, all this embellishing, would end pretty quickly)

keep Giroux/Jvr/Briere / Carter/Richards/Hartnell
Mez / Coburn / timmoen / Pronger (be nice if this old man would actually not be injured so much )
Need to keep Betts for PK unit as he is effective and puts himself on the line

need about 4 "Lappy-put-it-all-on-the-line" like-players ( to address the heart & soul) group

versteeg (tries hard, gets nowhere )
zherdev ( not efficient enough defensively to make a difference)
leino ( has proven can play in the playoffs as seen last year, but......
depending on price.........he may need to go )
powe ( works hard - hits often ) not labelled by refs yet
shelly ( can go, he's labelled by refs and ends up in Penalty box more than has hits
carcillo ( see shelly )
i had to point that out, even though it was a typo. and i agree we need more heart and soul, but maybe 2, not 4. i am all for losing SOME offensive depth to acquire a goalie, but I am NOT okay with having 2 lines that are completely ineffective when it comes to offense.

FLYERSxGIROUX28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:13 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSxGIROUX28 View Post
Let me start by saying I DO NOT like Richards, at all. I feel he is one of the most overrated players in the league, he is lazy, and he is overpaid (especially when you look at his actual salary instead of his cap hit, 8.4m next season!!!!!).
It is a warranted fear that the window is closing fast. Pronger, Briere, and Timonen are key players who are aging and likely won't be all that effective three years from now.

I think it is definite concern that they may be wasting these years with a lackluster leader in the locker room.

They really need to do it all next year.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Carter just signed a 10 year contract and you think Homer is going to move him before that even kicks in?
If it creates space to sign Bryzgalov, yup. He is the one peice that can get a significant return. Gagne had a NTC, he got moved, look at the return. This should be enough evidence plus the fact that they have been able to have playoff success without him.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Actually, Bobrovsky's real issues right now are with his fundamentals, not his "mental makeup," which has only been raised as an issue recently due to some scuttlebutt that can easily be misconstrued.

There's no reason to think Bob can't be as good as the other two; he has so far put a bigger and better mark on this league than either of the others, even if that's only circumstantial at the moment.

There is zero reason to pull the trigger on Schneider/Bernier. Neither has proven capable of starting, let alone making deep playoff runs.
Hey, I do not see either as the answer for the two year window with this team, which may now be next year. You do whatever it takes to sign Bryzgalov, period. Address the goalie issue. Bobrovsky is a nice piece of clay, but he is still a couple years from being the goalie of the future, and if anything this year proved he does need some time to develop, so why rush the issue?

Old
05-09-2011, 08:12 AM
phillyfanatic

Next years plan cannot be Bob. I don't care about the "long term plan" we need a "next year plan", if that means we sign a guy for 5 years and Bob is no longer the long term plan, so be it. We need an elite goalie next year. Period.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Cartsiephan*

Painfully Obvious Solution

Goalie is the problem with this team and they can afford to lose some offensive depth to get it done.

Also character issues with this team, over the last couple years they have gone from ECF's, to first round loss, to ECF's(with a paved road) and on to the SCF's before meeting a team who had the depth and skill to overcome the Flyers forecheck. The Flyes lost to a team who had Kelly, Bergeron, and Marchand as their highest scorers, not exactly Hart Trophy candidates.

Plan, get a goalie: Bryzgalov.

Cap Space: Carter(5.272), Carle(3.437), Hartnell(4.0), Carcillo(1.075), Zherdev(2.0), Nodl(.850), Boucher(.925).

Secondary Plan(get tougher to play against and change up the dresing room): Konopka, Larose, Miettinen, Cole, Glencross, Bradley, bring up Gustafsson and determine the health of Walker, and resign O'Donnell.

Bottom line, get to be a tougher team to play against, skill is one thing but having the stones to raise the game to the next level is different. They also need a healthy Pronger, as much as Richards is the captain of this team the leader is Pronger, without him what you see is what you get. Time to address the issues, make the tough choices and keep the coach. Homer and Laviolette need to sit down and figure out where things went wrong and what players will help to get the job done.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-09-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Censoring ;)
Old
05-09-2011, 10:20 AM
SilkyMitts

whats the deal with Joacim Eriksson?

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
whats the deal with Joacim Eriksson?

He was backup for his SEL team, not ready to make the jump yet from all reports. He may be AHL material in two years.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:38 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
He was backup for his SEL team, not ready to make the jump yet from all reports. He may be AHL material in two years.
interesting. i thought he was supposed to be better than that.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
he is still young

he put up decent numbers in the SEL after his first year of pro hockey. ON HDB, it shows he was the starting goalie during the playoffs, but when I click on their other goalie, it says they both appeared in 18 games. So someone will have to look that up

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Tell that to Sidney Crosby. Or JvR on his summer workouts, I wonder if that helped him?
Yes because every summer when Jeff Carter rolls into camp he's ripped for being out of shape and....oh wait he's usually one of the more fit players.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:17 AM
JonnyGaloshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Yes because every summer when Jeff Carter rolls into camp he's ripped for being out of shape and....oh wait he's usually one of the more fit players.
C'mon, we all know he only works his glamor muscles.

Frosted hair and Ed Hardy shirts will only get you so far at McFaddens

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
He's young, got some tools, but still unproven. Neither Bobrovsky or Eriksson should be looked at as the future for a couple years.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:25 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:
GTL all summer long

Old
05-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
JvR was skating in Conn, who's offseason summer plan do you think may have had a bigger impact? While guys are working on how to improve their game some think they can get by on God-given talent. That only gets a player so far.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
GTL all summer long
I'm ashamed of myself for knowing what that means.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:31 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
JvR was skating in Conn, who's offseason summer plan do you think may have had a bigger impact? While guys are working on how to improve their game some think they can get by on God-given talent. That only gets a player so far.
Wait, so working out all summer is not the answer?

Is it only JVR's routine that counts?

Is there a Cartsiephan approved approach to training? Does it involve an enema?

Inquiring minds need to know.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:34 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Happens when you play behind one of the longest tensured goalies in the SEL. He destroyed in preseason while the vet did average. The coach decided to start the vet anyway. In the beginning he played average anyway. Near the end, I heard he did really well.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:37 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
He's young, got some tools, but still unproven. Neither Bobrovsky or Eriksson should be looked at as the future for a couple years.
Young goalies SHOULD be able to start looking at starting for the team by 24/25.

And Reese tends to agree with that

Quote:
Reese optimistic RE: Bobrovskys development. Said could take 2-3 yrs to be workhorse
-philabright

Old
05-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

You're falling into the trap.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post

Like lemmings to the sea. Looks to me like JvR and Giroux had gas in the tank, so the answer iiiiissss......yes. Of course I know where you stand. Carter and Richards are the saviors of the team, trade away Giroux and JvR, what have they proven?

Old
05-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Like lemmings to the sea. Looks to me like JvR and Giroux had gas in the tank, so the answer iiiiissss......yes. Of course I know where you stand. Carter and Richards are the saviors of the team, trade away Giroux and JvR, what have they proven?
You must be ignoring all the reports of Richards needing surgery, and the well known fact that Carter SPRAINED HIS KNEE. He showed a ton of heart, came back, played injured...and you say he looked gassed?

Please. Stop trolling.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Young goalies SHOULD be able to start looking at starting for the team by 24/25.

And Reese tends to agree with that

-philabright
So, Flyers need a goalie who can step in NEXT year, not 2-3 years. There is a goalie who is a UFA and has all the tools to step in and be that goalie. I really cannot fathom what the counterargument is to not bringing Bryzgalov into the mix?

Carter and Richards too important? This team is not playing like it. The team is just as bipolar as the ring leaders. When Carter and Richards are playing like they can, unbeatable. When they play like they are half in the bag, you get a sweep and players looking disinterested.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:47 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
So, Flyers need a goalie who can step in NEXT year, not 2-3 years. There is a goalie who is a UFA and has all the tools to step in and be that goalie. I really cannot fathom what the counterargument is to not bringing Bryzgalov into the mix?

Carter and Richards too important? This team is not playing like it. The team is just as bipolar as the ring leaders. When Carter and Richards are playing like they can, unbeatable. When they play like they are half in the bag, you get a sweep and players looking disinterested.
The difference is Bryz isnt going to take a cheap 3 year deal. Vokoun would be the one that could take a 3 year deal and most likely wont break the bank.