HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Next Years Captain?

View Poll Results: Who should be named Captain next season?
David Backes 71 67.62%
Patrick Berglund 2 1.90%
Carlo Colaiacovo 0 0%
Barret Jackman 8 7.62%
Andy McDonald 2 1.90%
TJ Oshie 0 0%
David Perron 0 0%
Alex Pietrangelo 4 3.81%
Roman Polak 0 0%
Kevin Shattenkirk 0 0%
Alex Steen 3 2.86%
Chris Stewart 0 0%
Other (tell us who you'd rather) 0 0%
None, dress all A's 2 1.90%
I like Ice-cream 13 12.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
and so shall it be done!

Also, I like Ice-cream!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Sarcastic Option.

Jackman just seems like Brewer all over again. Give it one of the young guys. Pietrangelo, Backes, even Berglund would be great to see.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

vCash: 50
David Backes seems like the best choice, so he gets my vote. He already plays like a leader on the ice, he's a popular and marketable player in the St. Louis area, and he's well-spoken in front of the media.

I like Jackman, but his future in St. Louis is a bit uncertain. Ideally, he gets a permanent 'A' and the other alternate/assistant is rotated amongst Steen/McDonald/Petro/flavor of the week.

Polaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:19 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
David Backes seems like the best choice, so he gets my vote. He already plays like a leader on the ice, he's a popular and marketable player in the St. Louis area, and he's well-spoken in front of the media.

I like Jackman, but his future in St. Louis is a bit uncertain. Ideally, he gets a permanent 'A' and the other alternate/assistant is rotated amongst Steen/McDonald/Petro/flavor of the week.
I agree, Its the uncertainty of Jackmans future that I dont think he should be captian. Not that I dont think he would be a good one or isnt deserving but give it to someone who we know is going to be here long term

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

All indications are Backes will be the C. There was a quote from Armstrong that I can't find now, where he mentioned the possibility of bringing someone in, who might also fill the C. It wasn't clear whether he had someone in mind, or he was just pointing out that hypothetical.

If that happened it could be very interesting.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:48 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
All indications are Backes will be the C. There was a quote from Armstrong that I can't find now, where he mentioned the possibility of bringing someone in, who might also fill the C. It wasn't clear whether he had someone in mind, or he was just pointing out that hypothetical.

If that happened it could be very interesting.
I vaguely recall that, might have even been one of his phone interviews that now has a transcript or media file buried online. He sounded like his end goal this off season was to add someone who just guarantees us a post season instead of using his payroll on Brewer and Boyes who made us feel like they were the main reason we couldn't. They never stepped up to bigger roles, never took over the team when they had the whole season to show up. Might as well spend whatever part of that ~8M + your trade assets to add an impact player to the top of your depth chart.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:04 AM
RichardJames
Rookie User

Backes or Steen.

RichardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 11:00 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Backes is Blues' heart and soul

This question is no brainer

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:02 PM
schronote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Seems to me like you're making a pretty big assumption as to what "a whole lot of fans" would accept...

Just because you and a few other vocal people don't like Jackman, that's no grounds to assume that "a whole lot of fans" agree with you.
I wasn't basing the fans on anything I have read on the boards, but rather the people I have talked to. Most of my friends/family are die hard Blues fans and not a single one would be pleased that Jackman would be named captain. I actually know someone who would opt out of renewing their season tickets if Jackman were named captain because they seriously question where the team is heading. Their words not mine, but I fully support them. Jackman has been a leader of this team for the last 4 years and we have only made the playoffs 1 time. We need a winner, someone who brings a mindset to be better each and every shift. I do not see any improvement in Jackman in last few years.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 03:42 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
I wasn't basing the fans on anything I have read on the boards, but rather the people I have talked to. Most of my friends/family are die hard Blues fans and not a single one would be pleased that Jackman would be named captain. I actually know someone who would opt out of renewing their season tickets if Jackman were named captain because they seriously question where the team is heading. Their words not mine, but I fully support them. Jackman has been a leader of this team for the last 4 years and we have only made the playoffs 1 time. We need a winner, someone who brings a mindset to be better each and every shift. I do not see any improvement in Jackman in last few years.
I find this reasoning problematic and entirely misguided, but to each their own. I think putting the C on Backes would adversely effect his game and put him into a headspace of trying to do too much. To me, Jackman is the perfect candidate for the C until any of our young players who are still progressing are to a point where they know their game well enough they can focus on being a team leader with the 'C' on their jersey.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:04 PM
schronote

Quote:
I find this reasoning problematic and entirely misguided, but to each their own. I think putting the C on Backes would adversely effect his game and put him into a headspace of trying to do too much. To me, Jackman is the perfect candidate for the C until any of our young players who are still progressing are to a point where they know their game well enough they can focus on being a team leader with the 'C' on their jersey.
If the C on someones jersey changes how they play that is a problem with the player. A leader doesn't need a letter to lead a team. Backes wore an A a good bit this year and played just fine. I am just saying if you look around the league and see what young players have achieved while wearing the "C" at 6-7 years younger than Backes, then I think he will do just fine. Hypothetical here but would you say its a bad idea to put a C on Petro bc he is too young. Toews had one at same age and a season later won a cup, Crosby got the C then they won a cup. A captain is the face of a franchise, someone who leads by example with their style of play. Players like Jackman will have their opportunity to lead in the locker room.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:12 AM
stlzach
AP27 = Future Norris

Backes, Steen, or Petro

stlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 02:15 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I'm starting to come around to Pietro being the Captain.

Old
05-30-2011, 02:39 AM
OhNoLookOutRUN

vCash: 100
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Pietro named Captain, but I don't think it's his time yet. Really, I'd say Jackman if not for the fact that his future with the team is uncertain. I think he leads by example, and to me, that's what matters most. You could say the same for Backes, though, and with the team's direction, I can't help but think he's a shoe-in.

OhNoLookOutRUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm starting to come around to Pietro being the Captain.
I'd have no problem with it, however I think David Backes fits the bill perfectly not only on the ice but off. Not sure how many of you live in St.Louis but other then Backes who else do you see making TV appearances, out about in the community,etc,etc (I know Jackman and Steen do as well)

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:22 AM
The Saw Is the Law

I don't see any sophomore being captain of NHL team...

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
I don't see any sophomore being captain of NHL team...
You mean like...oh a cup-winning team with Jonathan Toewes?

Or I'll see if I can argue the technicality that since he wasn't Calder eligible last year wasn't Pietro's rookie season.

Old
05-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Bluesome

To me... It's pretty obvious that Backes is the hands on favorite to take the captaincy. He embodies everything that you would want in a leader and there's a chance that giving him captain will accelerate him to the next level of play. There's always a chance that the pressure could be too much and causes a drop off, but I don't think that will happen with Backes.

Who do I want to be captain?

Pietrangelo.

I see alot of intangibles in him the same way many others see them in Jonathon Toews. He's a guy that can take control of the puck and lead a rush, quarterback the powerplay, and has a great skillset that will power the Blues for many years to come.

In the end, it just needs to be the guy that everyone in the locker room responds to and respects as a player and someone that will lead them in the winning direction.

Bluesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
stlzach
AP27 = Future Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
I'd have no problem with it, however I think David Backes fits the bill perfectly not only on the ice but off. Not sure how many of you live in St.Louis but other then Backes who else do you see making TV appearances, out about in the community,etc,etc (I know Jackman and Steen do as well)
Exactly.

Honestly, my problem with Jackman being captain, well the reason I dislike him rather, is because he will make the WORST offensive plays I've ever seen in my entire life. But he seems like a leader.

Old
05-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesome View Post
To me... It's pretty obvious that Backes is the hands on favorite to take the captaincy. He embodies everything that you would want in a leader and there's a chance that giving him captain will accelerate him to the next level of play. There's always a chance that the pressure could be too much and causes a drop off, but I don't think that will happen with Backes.

Who do I want to be captain?

Pietrangelo.

I see alot of intangibles in him the same way many others see them in Jonathon Toews. He's a guy that can take control of the puck and lead a rush, quarterback the powerplay, and has a great skillset that will power the Blues for many years to come.

In the end, it just needs to be the guy that everyone in the locker room responds to and respects as a player and someone that will lead them in the winning direction.
I think he'll be a great captain. But, why rush it? He's still quite young. Give him a couple more years to settle in, first.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:01 PM
STL fan in IA

Based on who I think the true leader in the locker room is, I think the C should go to Jackman. Adding politics to the equation, I think Backes is the clear choice. Looking into who would be the best choice long-term, it should go to Petro IMO. By that I mean, if it's given to Backes and Backes is a mainstay with the team for years and years, at what point does Petro have a chance to get the C?

With all of those things in consideration, I'd give the C to Backes and cross the Petro bridge if/when we get there. I think giving the C to Jackman would cause a similar backlash to Brewer having the C (even though I don't think that's fair) and don't think Petro is quite ready yet so I'd give it to Backes.

Last edited by STL fan in IA: 05-30-2011 at 03:44 PM.
STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 03:14 PM
stlzach
AP27 = Future Norris

I didn't even think of those things... THinking about that, give the C to Jackman, once he leaves give it to Petro, keeping Backes as the "A" the whole time.

Old
05-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
I went with the majority and voted for Backes in the poll... but I would be more than happy to see Jackman named captain, and agree completely with the reasoning set forth by Big Walt here.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Spektre

It's a no brainer that Pietrangelo should wear the C. I don't want to hear any arguments from people saying "he's too young". Ever heard of Steve Yzerman? What was he 21 when he got the C?

The 7 people that voted for Jackman is the same as the people voting for I like ice-cream.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:38 AM
BluesBrother

Backes reminds Shane Doan IMO.. plays with heart, sometimes tries little too much in the end of game, and being frustrated can cause penalties to your own team...
saw it couple of times last season.. But still, David hates to lose, and that counts most!! I'd like to see him as our C

BluesBrother is online now   Reply With Quote