HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy - GM or Coach?

Old
05-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I think he would make an outstanding GM. Few have the desire to win like good old Saint Patrick.
I don't get that. So what is he going to do? Cry to the NHL until the Habs get the cup? or is he going to will it?

The job of GM is extremely different than being on the ice. Having the drive is one thing. Being patient with your prospects, not trading a player away just because he's having a bad stretch, those are a few qualities, amongst many others, that make a GM.

Sounds like you'd like to have a gun-slinging GM at the head of the Canadiens. Who's the last one we had that fit that mold, making trades left and right just cause he could? Houle. Never again.

Roy has had success at the QJMHL level so far. But there are so many differences between the junior level and the major leagues, you really can't say for sure if any of his skills are going to translate.

At the QJMHL level, everything is done on a very different pace. Your players come and go after 3-4 years. Over that period, an NHL prospect might not even see AHL action. You have to deal with pros, with egos. Not kids. Teenagers are impressed when they're facing Patrick Roy. I don't think Veterans would have the same reaction at all.

Anyway, at this point, I'm pretty sure Roy is going to wait for the whole Nordiques thing to develop before he makes a decision.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 05:16 AM
habsjunkie2*

He's going to put his best foot forward and constantly look to improve the club, identify holes and fill them. PG has been better than BG, but our current group is often much too passive and more reactive than proactive. I'm not saying I want PG gone, but I think Roy would be fine.

It's pretty easy to get.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:01 AM
neofury*

I don't think the habs would be better off regardless of which position he takes. Which position would he be better off taking for his own career? Likely head coach where his failures would only reflect a season and not a decade.

No thanks on the Roy to Habs org comments period. The guy just doesn't strike me as the type of person you want running your team in anyway. If he still had some left in the tank I'd give him a goaltending position on a team like Philly, that's about it.

Quote:
I think he would make an outstanding GM. Few have the desire to win like good old Saint Patrick.
Unfortunately winning takes more than just desire, you have to be good at what you do, something Roy has far from proven and I don't think 29 other owners are jumping at the opportunity to get him either, hence why he isn't in the NHL. If all it took was desire sports wouldn't exist, it would just be an organization that gets together and anyone who has the desire can hoist the cup. Desire at the end of the day doesn't help, being a skilled coach or general manager does. This is something Roy has far from proven and I'd prefer he learns how to on another team especially if it's as GM. As coach I'd be able to accept it but as GM I'd probably be pretty darn scared, I think he'd destroy the team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:02 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

He should teach Pouliot how to be angry. We could convert Ben Poo into a fighter.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:24 AM
E = CH²

It's interesting to me how many people know Roy would make a bad GM and have full confidence in PG and BG before him.

PG and BG are the group who brought you such wonderful trades as Ribeiro for Niniima, Latendresse for Pouliot, SK for nothing, Grabovski for nothing and Higgins+McDo+Valatenko for Gomez+Pyatt. Speaking about having patience as a GM... looks to me like we should have had more patience for some of those guys we threw away for nothing and maybe should have less patience in some other cases.

Roy did win it all following his arrival in the Q. And he was a S.Savard/Lacroix disciple and has seen/been in great organizations. He clearly is a hothead at times, but the years have softened him and he's learned a lot.

Would he make a great GM ? Impossible to tell. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. I would not be so quick to dismiss him though, especially when we have BG's remnant leading the way. Not like PG is the next coming of Pollock. Current group has never won anything.

And that's coming from someone who still has a grudge against Roy for his part in the habs downfall.

Last edited by E = CH²: 05-09-2011 at 08:31 AM.
E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Zubban View Post
Hope not. He has no experience coaching in the nhl, why would we need him.
Boucher had no experience either and he is already in the final 4. Bylsma had no experience and won the cup list could go on at one point every coach has to start somewhere

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Goalie coach at first.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Roy seems like a good recipe for a disaster to me. He seems to be so emotional, and that kind of approach might luck out and pay some immediate/short-term dividends if he was able to channel it constructively, but in the long run it's a huge risk factor in a business where the competition is largely intelligent, prepared, patient, and still just as competitive.

I wouldn't proactively oust anybody who was doing a decent job, be it coach or GM, to make room for Roy. But maybe if my team was in the tank already and I was going to fire the coach and GM, and I didn't have a real stud candidate already lined up to replace them, I could feel like the timing was ok to give Roy a chance. More likely as coach than as GM. There's not much harm he could do as coach of an already-underperforming team, in that scenario. And maybe he'd fire them up. Mario Tremblay's record as a rookie wasn't awful despite all that happened, for example. He'd have to be pretty humble about taking on the opportunity, however, and be willing to work constructively under the authority of his bosses, especially the GM if he was coach... and that seems somewhat unlikely.

I'll be surprised if Roy ever works for the Habs or in the NHL, I guess. He just seems a bit of anachronism.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:06 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's interesting to me how many people know Roy would make a bad GM and have full confidence in PG and BG before him.

PG and BG are the group who brought you such wonderful trades as Ribeiro for Niniima, Latendresse for Pouliot, SK for nothing, Grabovski for nothing and Higgins+McDo+Valatenko for Gomez+Pyatt. Speaking about having patience as a GM... looks to me like we should have had more patience for some of those guys we threw away for nothing and maybe should have less patience in some other cases.

Roy did win it all following his arrival in the Q. And he was a S.Savard/Lacroix disciple and has seen/been in great organizations. He clearly is a hothead at times, but the years have softened him and he's learned a lot.

Would he make a great GM ? Impossible to tell. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. I would not be so quick to dismiss him though, especially when we have BG's remnant leading the way. Not like PG is the next coming of Pollock. Current group has never won anything.

And that's coming from someone who still has a grudge against Roy for his part in the habs downfall.
I don't think it's that people are quick to assume or dismiss him but more-so people don't want to take a chance before you know, he even coaches or manages a single day in the AHL let alone NHL.

Being a good coach/GM in juniors doesn't really mean much. I'm not saying it's meaningless but it certainly doesn't prove a lot. If he did well at the AHL level I'd be more inclined to give him a chance, but I'm not going to just say fire PG and give him the spot. Same goes for "fire Martin". Just because BG made some mistakes, I won't hold that against PG whose been very good so far considering the situation at hand.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Or he could use that desire having no experience which may actually destroy what we have right now and quickly.

Quote:

PG and BG = GM experience
PR = no experience

Pretty simple. I'm not saying that PR will be a bad GM, but I don't want a rookie GM here. Simple as that.

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 05-11-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Let the guy coach the Bulldogs before we start talking into having Roy do anything more than goalie coaching on the big club.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Franky Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
I would still take Kopitar over Price ( not back in 2005 tho ).

Kopitar + Halak and no Gomez > Price +Gomez+Eller
Why is Gomez in the discussion ?

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:04 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I don't think it's that people are quick to assume or dismiss him but more-so people don't want to take a chance before you know, he even coaches or manages a single day in the AHL let alone NHL.

Being a good coach/GM in juniors doesn't really mean much. I'm not saying it's meaningless but it certainly doesn't prove a lot. If he did well at the AHL level I'd be more inclined to give him a chance, but I'm not going to just say fire PG and give him the spot. Same goes for "fire Martin". Just because BG made some mistakes, I won't hold that against PG whose been very good so far considering the situation at hand.
You seem to believe that I think Roy's candidacy is validated by his junior accomplishments when that's probably the last reason why I'd want to hire him as GM of a NHL team.

Also, him winning in the AHL as AHL GM would mean probably even less than winning a memorial cup. Also, it's often assistant NHL GMs who do that kind of stuff and Roy wouldn't leave Québec to be no one's assistant GM and rightly so.

You'd hire Roy for the same reasons Gainey, Serge Savard and Steve Yzerman were hired. Smart guys who have been part of winning organizations and know what it takes to ice a stanley cup winning team. They certainly weren't put in place for any junior/ahl accomplishments, and most of them didn't have to go back to the AHL to prove anything to anyone.

Now whether Roy is the next Gainey/Savard, the next Houle/Milbury or something in between is something no one really knows. All I know is that GMs don't work alone and if Roy is smart enough, he could very well surround himself with the right people and do a fine job. Or maybe not.

It's fine to not want to take a chance with Roy but I just find a lot of the arguments being given to be very lacking in perspective, especially if said arguments are about Roy's only experience being as a junior when his junior winning experience is only a confirmation of something that's already there.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Montreal is already a circus and we have a coach who say nothing in interview. Martin have 10 answers and he have a poker face in every interview. Perfect attitude for the Montreal medias.

Roy = freak show and controversy ,candy for rapid medias

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:23 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
PG and BG = GM experience
PR = no experience

Pretty simple. I'm not saying that PR will be a bad GM, but I don't want a rookie GM here. Simple as that.
Being GM is not rocket science, and it's not something you do alone either. It's mostly about being smart enough to surround yourself with the right people. You're only as good as your pro scouts, amateur scouts and whoever is also there to assist you. I'm sure Roy knows all those things and he's seen great teams being built and destroyed.

But I've always been a bit of a gambler. I'd rather go with the rookie guy that has potential to be anywhere from terrible to great, than the known average quantity that has never won anything and likely never will but has proven to be competent in the past which is really what Gauthier brings to the table at this point.

Plus I'd have no worries that Roy would be the next Houle/Milbury. Maybe he would never achieve greatness at the NHL level, but I'm fairly confident he wouldn't do any worse than what BG/PG have done and are doing with the habs.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
neofury*

Quote:
You seem to believe that I think Roy's candidacy is validated by his junior accomplishments when that's probably the last reason why I'd want to hire him as GM of a NHL team.

Also, him winning in the AHL as AHL GM would mean probably even less than winning a memorial cup. Also, it's often assistant NHL GMs who do that kind of stuff and Roy wouldn't leave Québec to be no one's assistant GM and rightly so.

You'd hire Roy for the same reasons Gainey, Serge Savard and Steve Yzerman were hired. Smart guys who have been part of winning organizations and know what it takes to ice a stanley cup winning team. They certainly weren't put in place for any junior/ahl accomplishments, and most of them didn't have to go back to the AHL to prove anything to anyone.

Now whether Roy is the next Gainey/Savard, the next Houle/Milbury or something in between is something no one really knows. All I know is that GMs don't work alone and if Roy is smart enough, he could very well surround himself with the right people and do a fine job. Or maybe not.

It's fine to not want to take a chance with Roy but I just find a lot of the arguments being given to be very lacking in perspective, especially if said arguments are about Roy's only experience being as a junior when his junior winning experience is only a confirmation of something that's already there.
I simply can't agree with this. For one Gainey was already a successful GM in the NHL prior to joining our team. For two I'm not sure about Serge Savard I'm really not, but I'd be willing to bet at the time he likely had more experience than Roy. (A random bet of chance in this case for me)

Now, normally I agree with most of your posts, I don't find myself on the other side of your fence very often, but I simply can't agree with this. Yzerman you are right about, but let's not forget the team Yzerman inherited, it wasn't exactly the worst team in the NHL. Tampa was failing due to piss poor management/coaching more-so than bad players.

I'm not saying Roy is going to be guaranteed terrible, but I wouldn't even let Pierre McGuire a guy who has some experience touch this team, let alone a hot head like Roy.

As a player I loved Roy but I would never let him come within 10 feet of the Montreal Canadiens unless it was as an assistant coach. He has a lot to prove and yes, doing so at the pro level (AHL/NHL) proves a lot more than OHL/Q/etc. This is where our opinions definitely differ. You honestly think Boucher gets the job in Tampa without that stellar AHL season? Proving something at the pro level goes a lot further than being a good goalie at some point in time.

I just don't think he'd be a good choice. He left Montreal in the first place because he was clashing with another hothead. Whose to say the same won't be done but in reverse. We've already lost a solid player in Roy due to a hothead, I don't want the mistake to be repeated but in reverse.

Would I try him out as a coach? Probably not, but I wouldn't cry if we got him as a coach either. Would I try him out as a GM? Never in a million years. He's proven zilch as a GM. Coaching I can understand how it would translate. Being GM of a junior team is like being the guy who organizes a beer league by comparison tot he NHL, ultimately it proves nothing at this level.

Quote:
Being GM is not rocket science, and it's not something you do alone either. It's mostly about being smart enough to surround yourself with the right people. You're only as good as your pro scouts, amateur scouts and whoever is also there to assist you. I'm sure Roy knows all those things and he's seen great teams being built and destroyed.

But I've always been a bit of a gambler. I'd rather go with the rookie guy that has potential to be anywhere from terrible to great, than the known average quantity that has never won anything and likely never will but has proven to be competent in the past which is really what Gauthier brings to the table at this point.

Plus I'd have no worries that Roy would be the next Houle/Milbury. Maybe he would never achieve greatness at the NHL level, but I'm fairly confident he wouldn't do any worse than what BG/PG have done and are doing with the habs.
Then ultimately if that's really you're opinion and you aren't just lobbying for Roy to be the next GM, it shouldn't matter much to you whose GM and you of all people should then realize that it wouldn't make a difference really if he was or wasn't GM. I just don't see why if he's so serious about the job (hypothetical) he wouldn't try being an assistant GM or a coach first in the NHL. I mean he has everything to prove not the other way around.

I don't see a team giving him that position, at best I could see him as head coach of Quebec City if they get a team. I won't hold my breath in thinking he gets anything better than an assistant job on a good team or a head job on a terrible team. We aren't a terrible team, we don't need Roy in fact we already have people who are better. I just don't see the logic in rolling the dice on a hothead who has proven nothing and wouldn't even be up for discussion if it weren't for his name and goaltending. We already have better people in place.

If we're talking coaching I could definitely see the logic in trying, coaching is coaching. GM is a whole other story.

I think he'd let his emotions stir in the mix as a GM and it could go either way, either in a costly move or a move that helps but down the road you can't ever know really. I prefer the GM's who are patient and try to build through the draft, whether it's a full rebuild or not. I would have been happy if when Gainey tookover we did tank and now had a Crosby, Stamkos etc type player, but ultimately I just want to see this team win a cup no matter who is managing or coaching.

Last edited by neofury*: 05-09-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old
05-09-2011, 12:37 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
I simply can't agree with this. For one Gainey was already a successful GM in the NHL prior to joining our team. For two I'm not sure about Serge Savard I'm really not, but I'd be willing to bet at the time he likely had more experience than Roy. (A random bet of chance in this case for me)

Now, normally I agree with most of your posts, I don't find myself on the other side of your fence very often, but I simply can't agree with this. Yzerman you are right about, but let's not forget the team Yzerman inherited, it wasn't exactly the worst team in the NHL. Tampa was failing due to piss poor management/coaching more-so than bad players.

I'm not saying Roy is going to be guaranteed terrible, but I wouldn't even let Pierre McGuire a guy who has some experience touch this team, let alone a hot head like Roy.

As a player I loved Roy but I would never let him come within 10 feet of the Montreal Canadiens unless it was as an assistant coach. He has a lot to prove and yes, doing so at the pro level (AHL/NHL) proves a lot more than OHL/Q/etc. This is where our opinions definitely differ. You honestly think Boucher gets the job in Tampa without that stellar AHL season? Proving something at the pro level goes a lot further than being a good goalie at some point in time.

I just don't think he'd be a good choice. He left Montreal in the first place because he was clashing with another hothead. Whose to say the same won't be done but in reverse. We've already lost a solid player in Roy due to a hothead, I don't want the mistake to be repeated but in reverse.

Would I try him out as a coach? Probably not, but I wouldn't cry if we got him as a coach either. Would I try him out as a GM? Never in a million years. He's proven zilch as a GM. Coaching I can understand how it would translate. Being GM of a junior team is like being the guy who organizes a beer league by comparison tot he NHL, ultimately it proves nothing at this level.

Then ultimately if that's really you're opinion and you aren't just lobbying for Roy to be the next GM, it shouldn't matter much to you whose GM and you of all people should then realize that it wouldn't make a difference really if he was or wasn't GM. I just don't see why if he's so serious about the job (hypothetical) he wouldn't try being an assistant GM or a coach first in the NHL. I mean he has everything to prove not the other way around.

I don't see a team giving him that position, at best I could see him as head coach of Quebec City if they get a team. I won't hold my breath in thinking he gets anything better than an assistant job on a good team or a head job on a terrible team. We aren't a terrible team, we don't need Roy in fact we already have people who are better. I just don't see the logic in rolling the dice on a hothead who has proven nothing and wouldn't even be up for discussion if it weren't for his name and goaltending. We already have better people in place.
Smart people with winning experience as players are smart people with winning experience. Guys like Savard, Gainey, Yzerman and Roy have nothing to prove, and nothing to learn from the AHL. The fact you think experience in the AHL would prove something shows how little you know.

Gainey had experience before coming to us and did a very average job. He however had no relevant coaching/GM experience before he became the Minnesota stars coach and GM and he got to the finals as coach and won a cup as GM for them. Interesting that an experienced Gainey did nothing exceptional for us, and a young inexperienced Gainey actually did great things for Minnesota/Dallas. And I'm saying that with a bit of sarcasm here because to say Gainey was inexperienced is dumb, just like saying Roy is inexperienced. Both were parts of great teams, played with winners and were managed by very smart individuals they learned a lot from as players.

Savard had zero experience as GM before he won 2 cups for the habs in that position.

Yzerman is doing a great job so far. Out of all these guys had the most relevant experience before he started though (his time as ass. gm with the DRW on top of his winning pedigree).

People think of Roy as coach when it's probably not where he should be at all. His winning experience and pedigree would be much better used at the GM level. He was a hothead but he's tempered that fire with a lot of wisdom over the past 2-3 years. You don't hear him say outlandish things in the medias anymore. Guys with a lot of passion like Roy tend to trade a little fire for a lot of wisdom as they grow older. Not to mention Roy as coach is silly. He'd never leave Québec and everything he's built behind just to be a NHL head coach for a couple of years and leave his potential future NHL career in the hands of a guy like PG.

People act like Roy as GM is Houle 2.0 waiting to happen, like he would trade Subban after one bad game and that's just silly talk. Houle was a glorified salesman, an idiot with a big heart. Roy is a smart guy with hot temper who's mellowing out as he grows older.

It's all good though. I don't think Roy wants to leave Québec. I hope they get a team back. I'm willing to bet they'd throw an offer Roy's way and then people would realize how silly they were in this thread. Or more likely they wouldn't remember... whatever.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
neofury*

Actually in contrast believing a player being good at a sport and winning as a player means anything when it comes to managing a team or coaching, leads me to believe you know very little.

For every Yzerman there are 10 guys it hasn't worked for. Not everyone who is good at playing a sport is also a great coach or GM. The mere fact that you make that assumption is quite laughable as in the same sentence you claim that I know very little.

Being a goalie who did well in the NHL albeit VERY well, proves absolutely nothing in terms of management and coaching.

Gainey had very little experience, except the whole winning a cup as a GM thing(EDIT: My bad, making it to the cup though still and in Dallas he won the cup anyways. Out of context considering you said North Stars, but even so, he won a cup as GM of an American franchise recent to when we got him, hardly inexperienced/unproven), you know, the part that backed him up. Minnesota doesn't equal Montreal. Sure he got the chance on an expansion team to be a GM, but did he get his first shot in Montreal? No. He proved it first on another NHL team. Sure he did so without any past GM experience, how does this all of the sudden prove a point though? The point being that a guy with no experience can be a good GM? Heck that isn't even the debate, anyone can be a good GM with no experience. Frankly though, few actually do become a good GM without any experience. I'm not saying the AHL means everything, far from it. But you're just jumping to the conclusion that because Roy was a good player, he'll be a good GM, which is even stupider. Plus like I said before if he were to become GM/Coach of a team, it would likely be one that is struggling not a middle or the pack to top team. It just isn't logical for a team like that to give him a position when he's proven nothing.

No amount of being a Roy fanboy will change that. If we were a bottom team I'd understand but we clearly aren't. Just because a guy like Yzerman did it, it doesn't prove anything. One anomaly doesn't disprove the fact that in most cases guys with little to no experience as a GM fail to be a good one.

I mean what you're basically saying is the Yankees should sign Jeeter as a GM because he played good baseball for them. They're the ****ing Yankees for christs sake, not some expansion team.

The Montreal Canadiens aren't some joke franchise that's going to take on the likes of Roy an unexperienced and unproven general manager. As a coach maybe, but as a GM the idea is simply laughable.

Last edited by neofury*: 05-09-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old
05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

How about as a fan?

And guys, GM isn't just like NHL11, auto-sign UFAs and make blockbuster trades every week. It takes patience and being a people's person. Roy still has ********-itis. Just a few years ago, he whined so hard about Guy Boucher's system in the Q where he was very successful. He's not level-headed despite being a champion and one of the best goaltenders post-expansion.

Last edited by DekeLikeYouMeanIt: 05-09-2011 at 01:14 PM.
DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:13 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
But you're just jumping to the conclusion that because Roy was a good player, he'll be a good GM, which is even stupider.
I read your jumbled mess until that point and couldn't read no more.

Here's a quote from me earlier in this thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
Now whether Roy is the next Gainey/Savard, the next Houle/Milbury or something in between is something no one really knows.
It seems apparent you're only looking to contradict me, not read nor understand what I write.

Plus this hypothetical scenario that will never come to be is starting to bore me now and I have said all I wanted to, so I'm done here.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
macavoy

neofury,

Your vastly under estimating the skill required to be a Jr GM, it is very cyclical. Teams regularly miss the playoffs every 3-4 years. Very few are good enough to build a memorial cup winning team.

Roy has accomplished a lot at the Jr level, very few have done as much as he has.

People like to rag on him for being a hothead but in reality he knows how to use the media and psychology to his teams advantage. He out coached Ted Nolan in the memorial cup.

We likely will never see him here though but I'd say that he has the skills to be a better than average coach or GM. I think he'd be a better GM but think he has what it takes to coach as well.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Not sure who you'd be debating with. Perhaps some people would have had that debate with you last year. This year, not so much. Not to take anything away from Kopitar, he's a great player.
Those guys are paid money to do this all day and they miss Getzlaf and Kopitar, when we need big centers? I don't know how many Cups we would win with those two as a one-two punch. Price is an emerging goalie, which is fine. We already had Halak anyway. Goalies should not be taken in the first round. Price let in several bad goals in the playoffs.

This team should be a perennial powerhouse, not a wannabe contender. We need a GENIUS in here as GM - not a hothead like Roy. The jury is still out on Gauthier.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I don't think the habs would be better off regardless of which position he takes. Which position would he be better off taking for his own career? Likely head coach where his failures would only reflect a season and not a decade.

No thanks on the Roy to Habs org comments period. The guy just doesn't strike me as the type of person you want running your team in anyway. If he still had some left in the tank I'd give him a goaltending position on a team like Philly, that's about it.

Unfortunately winning takes more than just desire, you have to be good at what you do, something Roy has far from proven and I don't think 29 other owners are jumping at the opportunity to get him either, hence why he isn't in the NHL. If all it took was desire sports wouldn't exist, it would just be an organization that gets together and anyone who has the desire can hoist the cup. Desire at the end of the day doesn't help, being a skilled coach or general manager does. This is something Roy has far from proven and I'd prefer he learns how to on another team especially if it's as GM. As coach I'd be able to accept it but as GM I'd probably be pretty darn scared, I think he'd destroy the team.
I know you like to quote all of my posts, but that's why I said "I think".

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
E = CH²

I said I was out, but I'll take exception for this comment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
This team should be a perennial powerhouse, not a wannabe contender. We need a GENIUS in here as GM - not a hothead like Roy. The jury is still out on Gauthier.
The jury is not out on him. He's pretty much a known quantity. Look at what he's done elsewhere and expect more of the same. He's certainly not a genius. He's a fine GM and will do fine work. The young and/or resigned fans will be quite happy with him I'm sure. But, if you're expecting greatness, I don't think you will.

Old
05-09-2011, 05:02 PM
old scotia

Roy has expressed interest in coaching on the NHL when he supposedly turned down Colorada. It's pretty much a guarantee he will coach in the NHL it's just a matter of with who. He cannot do any worse than Gainey/Gauthier(stilll Gainey) era. They never won the cup for MTL. For me it's all about winnning the cup. Gauthier seemed satisfied with losing in the first round. Roy would judge a season on whether he won a cup or not. That's how us MTL fans used to look at success. It seems now some fans are satisfied with winning a round or two. Let's get back to all or nothing. Patrick Roy is an all or nothing guy. Gauthier was pathethic with his post season evaluation. Time to clean house. Gainey quit but put his flunky in charge then Gainey we find out is still envolved.
Stop the madness. I guarantee Gauthier and Martin will be gone by July 2012. I can make those predictions because I'm a self righteous know it all.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote