HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lakers Playoffs

Old
05-09-2011, 12:43 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
actually its not, after the league looks at it and eventually suspends him, it will be the third time he sis suspended for similar play.
I can only recall one other and it was just a good old hard foul. One that had no repricussions. I don't know about the circumstances from the other one you speak of.

Everyone knows my stance on a player embarrassing his organization. I didn't appreciate some of the things Doughty did this year. I obviously did not like what happened yesterday. I wasn't just a hard fould. Bynum was taking out his anger on a very vulnerable player. I expect he will come out with an apology. Again, Bynum is like a big puppy dog.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
no name

There are some very interesting panel of thoughts about the Lakers on Sprotscenter. Magic Johnson says nobody is safe on that roster. Lots of opinions about the Lakers bringing in Chris Paul, Howard or Rudy Gay. Rudy Gay will be a great fit since he won't cost as much as the other guys, is quick, can score and is young. Memphis is doing great without him so they may be inclined to trade him for a Gasol type player.

Also, I don't want the Lakers to continue with the triangle. I don't mind Brian Shaw but not if he intends to run the traingle. Unless the Lakers get a young backcourt the triangle is worthless. As it stands the Lakers best players are front court guys and they just are not important in the triangle. The ball goes into them but their responsibility isn't to shoot. It's to pass to cutter, kick it back out, and then to shoot. Whatever is best for that circumstance. That's the scenerio that their most dominant players have to go through before they get theirs.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Lakers could probably swap Odom for Gay straight up.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:30 PM
no name

So, did anyone else hear all the hoopla that the Lakers are pissed off at Pau Gasol because he slept with an undisclosed Laker girlfriend / wife. In fact Pau's girlfriend broke up with him mid series. Gasol says that while his his GF did dump him it's all lies about him cheating with a teammates mate. Maybe that's where some of the chemistry and trust issues come up.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I doubt that. Gay is a star. A true 25 point player that is under 25. Odom is a 31 year old role player. I think it would take Gasol or Odom + draft picks.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I like it!

Trade Odom+ for Gay.

Trade Gasol or Bynum+ for Howard.

Kobe-Howard-Gay-Gasol or Bynum.

Wow, that is a very solid starting 4.

Now, we need to buyout Artest and add some outside shooting on the bench.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
So, did anyone else hear all the hoopla that the Lakers are pissed off at Pau Gasol because he slept with an undisclosed Laker girlfriend / wife. In fact Pau's girlfriend broke up with him mid series. Gasol says that while his his GF did dump him it's all lies about him cheating with a teammates mate. Maybe that's where some of the chemistry and trust issues come up.
This piece has some of that ... appears Kobe and his wife had something to do with it ? hmmmm

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/l...tracted-050811
Quote:
Yup, this is the Lakers being the Lakers
This is the Lakers being the Lakers, too. This is how their dynasties end — in chaos, tumult and controversy ...

In the aftermath of a surprising 2004 Finals loss to Detroit, Kobe Bryant forced Shaquille O’Neal out of town and Phil Jackson into retirement.

And now this, the Lakers on the wrong side of an embarrassing 4-0 sweep in the conference semifinals to the Mavericks and rumors that the “trust issues” alluded to by Andrew Bynum refer to a rift between Kobe and Pau caused by conversations between Vanessa and Silvia.

Yeah, the Lakers are sports’ longest-running reality TV show. Khloé and Lamar Kardashian fit in perfectly. So does Ron Artest.

Los Angeles’ nucleus — Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Lamar, Fisher and Artest — was lethargic and distracted all season ...

• Vanessa Bryant may have had nothing to do with it, but Pau Gasol got dumped by his fiancée, Silvia Lopez Castro.

• Derek Fisher is the president of the NBA Players Association in a year of labor unrest.

• Khloé and Lamar Kardashian have a perfume and a reality TV show to promote.

• Ron Artest is Ron Artest. Among other things, he raffled away his championship ring.

• Andrew Bynum is still the immature kid who delayed knee surgery so he could attend the World Cup.

Kobe and Phil had their hands full trying to get this squad to focus on basketball, let alone withstand the assault LeBron, D-Wade, Dirk, Durant, Rose, K.G., Paul Pierce and Ray Allen were planning.

Obviously, Kobe and Phil failed miserably. Everyone can see it now.

The Lakers don’t lose with a lot of dignity. Never have.

The Lakers have always been spoiled punks. It’s LA. They’re the only athletes who have ever really mattered in this town. You get fed a steady diet of Jack Nicholson, Denzel Washington and the rest of the Hollywood elite fawning over you from courtside seats and you’d lose some perspective, too.

The Lakers need to be blown up every three years. Kobe and Phil had a great run — three NBA Finals and two championships. You can’t do four years in Los Angeles without an explosion.

If Lakers owner Jerry Buss is smart, he’d view the entire roster as trade bait, including Kobe. If Michael Jordan, Brett Favre and Joe Montana can finish their careers in foreign uniforms, so can Kobe Bryant.

The League is changing rapidly. The Lakers should embrace it and go with the flow.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I doubt that. Gay is a star. A true 25 point player that is under 25. Odom is a 31 year old role player. I think it would take Gasol or Odom + draft picks.
They want out from his contract though. I've read that their injury and how they've played since makes Memphis think they can get rid of him without a problem. It's two years longer than Odom's and much more costly. Plus I'm not sure Gay can really defer to Randolph. Odom could be a good complementary player for them, they have the talent and depth now to actually win a title which is pretty shocking honestly. That 8 seed they got was pure fiction.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
This piece has some of that ... appears Kobe and his wife had something to do with it ? hmmmm
... Whitlock is a ******. I should have just stopped reading this story at the top, where it says "Fox News". Anything written for Fox News in Los Angeles is generally the equivalent of the New York Post and should immediately be treated as the trash that it is.

Quote:
The Lakers don’t lose with a lot of dignity. Never have.

The Lakers have always been spoiled punks.
... What a crock of **** to lump the rest of the Lakers in with what Bynum did. Bynum's foul on Barea was indefensible, of course. Now, that sort of foul was committed pretty often in the 80s, in fact I remember Byron Scott and Michael Cooper hammered like that - it was just standard operating procedure for teams to not allow guards through the lane to lay the ball up or dunk. "Earn it at the line", they used to say. Obviously, that's not tolerated today, and the NBA is better for it; Bynum is a young man who was frustrated out there, and he'll have to grow up and own up to his actions. But Bryant, Jackson, and the rest of the Lakers (sans Odom of course) were as dignified as a group of players can be after a season-ending loss.

Quote:
The Lakers need to be blown up every three years.
... Wow, way to go out on a limb there. Is there even a single team in the "big four" of major league pro sports that doesn't see significant re-tooling after three years? Look at the Mavs, for instance; three years ago they had Dirk, but pretty much the entire roster around him was different. Only Nowitzki, Kidd, Terry, and Barea were with Dallas in 07-08. The Lakers are usually pretty stable for an NBA franchise. Six of the 10-11 Lakers were with the team in 07-08: Bryant, Bynum, Fisher, Odom, Gasol, and Walton.

Quote:
If Lakers owner Jerry Buss is smart, he’d view the entire roster as trade bait, including Kobe.
... Jerry Buss HAS been smart; he's won 10 rings in the last 31 years. One of the smart things he did a few years back was essentially choose between Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal by offering a deal to one but not the other. His decision to keep Kobe was a tremendously significant one ... just look at O'Neal today if you want any kind of confirmation for that. At the time of the choice, however - many fans and a lot of the media were all for keeping Shaq and letting Kobe run off to the Clippers or wherever. Bryant is the unquestioned leader of this team and he's still one of the ten best players in the NBA, perhaps top five in the league. The Lakers would be extremely foolish to let him go, and they won't.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 10:29 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I shouldn't say that I hate the lakers, because I don't. I just don't follow them or watch their games as I use to.

I am somewhat disenchanted with Kobe though. However, he is/has been a big part of lakers great success.

I definitely think a couple of big changes are necessary. And I think Kupchak has done a very good job of managing the lakers. He really deserve a lot more credit than he's been getting imo.

Old
05-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

There's no way the Grizzlies would accept an Odom for Gay proposal and a Gasol for Gay proposal doesn't really help the Lakers.

I could see Memphis moving Mayo to salvage any "star potential" he might have left in some GM's eyes but they just made a huge commitment to Gay and he is a very good player. He has the potential contribute in the way Shawn Marion did in his prime with the Suns, he's super athletic and well-rounded.

I also don't know how much they really want to blow up the roster. They give Bynum to get Howard, that's a clear upgrade, other than that split the MLE between a couple veterans, see who's out there for the minimum and make a smart draft choice.

05-09-2011, 10:43 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
There's no way the Grizzlies would accept an Odom for Gay proposal and a Gasol for Gay proposal doesn't really help the Lakers.

I could see Memphis moving Mayo to salvage any "star potential" he might have left in some GM's eyes but they just made a huge commitment to Gay and he is a very good player. He has the potential contribute in the way Shawn Marion did in his prime with the Suns, he's super athletic and well-rounded.

I also don't know how much they really want to blow up the roster. They give Bynum to get Howard, that's a clear upgrade, other than that split the MLE between a couple veterans, see who's out there for the minimum and make a smart draft choice.
How does Gasol for Gay not help us?

Old
05-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Feels good man

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 07:00 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

So who coaches this team when all is said and done?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:05 AM
no name

Scott Van Pelt put the Bynum situation perfect. I guess Ryan Russillo is a mentor to Bynum and since SVP and RR are joined at the hip Bynum and he are around eachother for weekends at a time. Anyways, he said that Bynum should be fined heavily and there is no defense for what he did but Andrew is a kid who knows nothing about losing. This will help him in the long run. He continues saying that Andrew is as humble as you can be. He lives modestly and drives a 30 thousand dollar vehicle. Apparently Bynum has been begging for the ball for years and he doesn't like not getting shots but he's never created waves and knows his role.

Old
05-10-2011, 11:26 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
So who coaches this team when all is said and done?
Vanessa Bryant?

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
this thread isn't closed yet? come on guys...let's talk hockey...

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:24 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

There's a hundred other threads for hockey talk. I'm not sure why all the laker haters continue to post in here, you'd think they would wanna steer clear of this thread no?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:55 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook24 View Post
this thread isn't closed yet? come on guys...let's talk hockey...
Anyone get the latest golf scores by the Kings?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Anyone get the latest golf scores by the Kings?
+5
+2
+7
EVEN

But I don't know the names in the foursome.

Old
05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I'm not sure why all the laker haters continue to post in here
... Pretty simple. One team in L.A. has 11 titles, the other has zero.

Jealousy is a powerful emotion.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
They want out from his contract though. I've read that their injury and how they've played since makes Memphis think they can get rid of him without a problem. It's two years longer than Odom's and much more costly. Plus I'm not sure Gay can really defer to Randolph. Odom could be a good complementary player for them, they have the talent and depth now to actually win a title which is pretty shocking honestly. That 8 seed they got was pure fiction.
The only thing that might motivate them to trade is the fact that they gave Randolph a huge extension but they seem prepared to spend. They have locked in Gay, Conley and Randolph now. Next up will be Marc Gasol. They can probably afford to carry all four salaries, it does spell the end of Mayo there though (Chicago is one team that could really use him).

I don't think they are going to push a guy they had considered their franchise player out based on this run. We've seen some neurotic teams do that (Sac and Kevin Martin springs to mind) and it hasn't worked out well for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
How does Gasol for Gay not help us?
If the Lakers break up the rotation of Gasol-Bynum-Odom, they will lose a major advantage they have over most if not all the contending teams. They needed all three guys to beat Boston, they won game 7 on the glass and obviously without a healthy frontcourt could not take the Cs in 2008.

Trading Bynum for Howard doesn't disrupt that, it gives them a better player who can play more minutes and perform more consistently at the center position. Trading Gasol for Gay, who is essentially a wing player, certainly does change the dynamic of their team.

They didn't have to face San Antonio, Oklahoma City or Memphis this year but we can see how having a deeper rotation of bigs could help them against those teams. Last night Memphis rode Randolph and Gasol until the wheels fell off, had to play them 50+ minutes each. The Spurs were even shorter on big men, a huge reason they lost to Memphis as Duncan was not in form and both Blair and Bonner are just part-timers ideally. OKC has taken the next step by deepening their forward/center rotation with Perkins and increased minutes for Ibaka but the Lakers maintain an advantage with three bigs who can log 30+ minutes every night.

Further, Gasol is a better player than Rudy Gay even taking position out of the equation. This is the same guy who was a critical piece of three finals runs. Gasol vs Gay, Gasol has been stronger in almost every area and by just about any measure. He's as good of a scorer and does it more efficiently, he offers a post presence, he's a much better rebounder, he's a better passer, he blocks some shots and all his metrics (win shares both offense and defense, PER, etc) are considerably higher.

Gasol is an all-star big man, Gay is a pretty good wing player. There are guys like Gay out there, Andre Iguodala springs to mind, who could be had. There is no legit replacement for Gasol available IMO.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:45 PM
no name

Gasol is 31 years old and is slow down the court. Slower than your typical PF.. Gay is 24 and will added star quickness that could not be added without dropping some length. The Lakers need a replacement for Kobe and are desperate for someone who can take the ball to the hole while defending the opponents guard.

Old
05-10-2011, 03:47 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

Loved the Lakers of the Jerry West and Elgin Baylor era. Admired the compete level of the Magic Johnson teams.

It is easy to not like the Bryant-led Lakers for obvious reasons that have nothing to do with jealousy. Well for reasons that most people get anyway.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

You're absolutely right, haters gon hate, ******s gon ***

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote